Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Artificial Kid posted:

Are you talking about the authorisation of military force passed a week after 9/11, when people were calling for Afghanistan to be nuked, and claiming that it's the reason the Iraq war happened 18 months later after the Democrats had lost the senate?

Edit - Ok I see there was also one separately for Iraq. But that war was happening. There were 28 other Democratic senators voting for it along with Biden. Do you really think he made the difference between it happening and not happening? Or that he was vastly out of line with (tragically) the opinion of Americans at that time?

You realize that "_____ would have happened anyway, so you can't really blame someone for facilitating it" isn't really a convincing argument, right?

Most evil things happen through spreading responsibility around such that most individuals can tell themselves "if it wasn't me, someone else would be doing it, so I can't be blamed."

It is literally analogous to someone saying that a member of Nazi leadership isn't really responsible because the same things would have happened if they weren't there and most of the public supported them.

The Artificial Kid posted:

I didn't say he cares more about opinion polls than about doing the right thing, I said in a climate where most people supported the war, he gave his support to the war. It was easy for someone to convince themselves, at that moment, that the war was the right thing. In fact most people in America had. They were wrong, but they were convinced.

Edit - look, this is a thread for people to say how excited or not excited they are about the Biden administration. I'm (potentially) excited, you're not. I don't think we're on the verge of convincing each other, so maybe we should let it rest there for now.

This isn't even remotely an excuse, though, because Biden was in a position of power/leadership. You only hold this opinion because, on some level, you don't view the Iraq/Afghanistan wars for what they truly were. For whatever reason, you don't file them in the same mental category as other war crimes and atrocities, which leads to holding opinions that you would otherwise recognize as ridiculous and morally contemptible if they were applied to the leadership of other countries that commit atrocities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing that really puts the lie to the idea that there's a non-zero chance of Biden making things better for the poor/working class is to simply look at what happens in firmly blue states, like California. The Democrats have absolutely zero interest in being a pro-labor party (or a pro-"anything good" party for that matter; even their support for social issues is nearly all superficial). Prop 22 is basically a preview of the sort of future they would prefer for all of the American working class.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Bernie's Gonna Win is pointless fluff, and the bulk of the information it communicates is not actually the literal meaning of the words, but if it wasn't clogging up the thread overly I ignored it during primary season. The other three would obviously generate reports, angryposts, and a general reduction in forums experience quality. All four are probateable, but some are more probateable than others.

which is also a nice little microcosm demonstration of why moderation is hard

The problem is that you're trying to find some objective standard to apply to something that is ultimately a matter of ideology/values. For example, it's very obvious that the "I'm looking forward to the left making progress under Biden!" posts are equally inflammatory to the "angrily mocking means testing" ones. I would go as far as arguing that posts like the ones you quoted are often in response to the optimistic ones - they're essentially the result of the former posts "making people angry." The same goes for some of the positive posts, which are obviously made with the knowledge that it'll upset the "NoJoes" and in response to their posts.

Basically there's a subjective rhetorical distinction between what is inflammatory (and how inflammatory it is) that doesn't actually correspond to the reality of how inflammatory they are or aren't. As you correctly mentioned yourself, this thread is essentially guaranteed to be inherently inflammatory, and IMO you're just going to make people more angry by attempting to limit "posts that make other people mad" in such a thread.

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I'm optimistic for with Biden is the disappearance of "wow, this archconservative ghoul called Trump a doodoo head (because he's doing fascism wrong), what a hero, welcome to the #resistance" kind of idiocy. Hopefully.

And just in general, Trump's removal might actually cause some people to realize that he's just a symptom of the disease. Over the last four years, a lot of people (myself included) finally opened their eyes to the massive problems in American society. But Trump made it so easy for everyone to blame those problems on him and only him. Maybe under Biden, people will see that's not the case.

While it remains to be seen how things will end up, I think they might just be replaced by people defending Biden doing terrible things, which isn't really preferable to defending the anti-Trump neocons.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

- Alphabet agencies going after far-right groups like the III%ers and Proud Boys. This one is kind of a mixed bag because I have to imagine that if this does become a winning political strategy (and I have to imagine it will be because it'll be very popular with the base) it's going to flip (back) to Antifa/BLM when the reaction comes.

Yeah, not only will this sort of thing be used as an excuse to go after "radical left" groups, but it also creates the illusion that the "far right" is primarily characterized by these fringe groups. It really can't be understated how nuts it is that people freak out about the Proud Boys in a country where ICE and our policing/prison systems are a thing. It's a symptom of the fact that most people have internalized the "normalcy" of those things. Even if they might think that they're bad, they don't really think of them in the same way they think of other crimes/atrocities.

In general it is very frightening how much liberals have thrown their support behind the CIA/FBI in response to Trump.