Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If I had to guess, I'd say most of this NBC spill goop wasn't here before the incident. The big area with the elevator is right in front of what's labeled as a hazardous materials tank, and on the ground you can see cargo containers and forklifts. The incident probably busted a bunch of pipes and storage tanks, creating massive leaks and spills.

Black Mesa is still an OSHA nightmare, but there's enough environmental storytelling here to make me think it wasn't this bad before the Resonance Cascade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Ah, that classic Half-Life electrical hum. The true sound of turn-of-the-millenium gaming.

Smethers gets a rather better deal in the remake. In the original he was hiding on the generator, and starting it up flash-fried him. HL1 did not expect you to sympathise with the scientists and security guards. Valve are on the record as saying they were genuinely surprised that players tried to rescue them, you were supposed to see them as entirely disposable - their original 90s designs were much more cartoonish, the scientists especially, and their main job was to demonstrate lethal obstacles by running into them.

And check out two American soldiers explicitly discussing slaughtering civilians! You'd never see that post 9/11. I remember hanging out in the Black Mesa forums and seeing people insist that dialogue needed to be added explaining that the marines had been told that the scientists were traitors (amusingly, someone wanted to say that Black Mesa staff were all secretly paid by Iranians). Nope, Half Life didn't bother with such niceties. Those troops will obey orders, and later we'll see that demonstrated explicitly.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Cythereal posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say most of this NBC spill goop wasn't here before the incident. The big area with the elevator is right in front of what's labeled as a hazardous materials tank, and on the ground you can see cargo containers and forklifts. The incident probably busted a bunch of pipes and storage tanks, creating massive leaks and spills.

Black Mesa is still an OSHA nightmare, but there's enough environmental storytelling here to make me think it wasn't this bad before the Resonance Cascade.

While I'd normally agree with that, one of the vignettes on that opening tram ride before anything even went kablooey was a giant container of waste bursting open and flooding an entire department right next to unprotected personnel. Also, next update is going to open with a flowing channel of toxic slime right next to an area where employees are expected to be walking.

True though it may be that the Resonance Cascade didn't help, this facility had containment issues long before everything went south.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love this level's gimmick. The tentacles are still the first thing that pops into my mind whenever Half-life is mentioned, the segment is just that iconic.
Too bad the rest of it takes place in rusty tunnels.

e: I'm not sure if they fixed it, but shortly after release it was entirely possible to get softlocked by not being fast enough under the fan - the switch could not be flipped again and you were stuck down there.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 21, 2020

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Blastinus posted:

While I'd normally agree with that, one of the vignettes on that opening tram ride before anything even went kablooey was a giant container of waste bursting open and flooding an entire department right next to unprotected personnel. Also, next update is going to open with a flowing channel of toxic slime right next to an area where employees are expected to be walking.

True though it may be that the Resonance Cascade didn't help, this facility had containment issues long before everything went south.

This damage all happened recently. You can still see the pipes bursting irradiated liquid and there are still people there who would have to somehow get through several lakes of glowing green goo with no protection at all.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Gantolandon posted:

This damage all happened recently. You can still see the pipes bursting irradiated liquid and there are still people there who would have to somehow get through several lakes of glowing green goo with no protection at all.

Right, I'm not arguing with that. What I'm saying is that Black Mesa's safety methods were inadequate and that a massive leak was already occurring by the time we got here. This might be because of the game's dark sense of humor as to why it's just considered another part of the sightseeing tour, but that container failure should probably have shut down the facility for the day right then and there.

Then again, since radioactive waste in this series is treated the same as video game lava (i.e. don't touch it and you're cool), maybe I'm just overthinking it.

By the way, there's something I neglected to mention about the part at the beginning with the two grumbling marines. That section used to be a longer network of ducts that formed somewhat of a maze in the original Half-Life. Possibly because it was considered to be dull or tedious, it was trimmed down to a more linear progression. I personally don't feel too torn up about it getting the cut. It doesn't help that we crawl a lot slower in this game.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Right, I'm not arguing with that. What I'm saying is that Black Mesa's safety methods were inadequate and that a massive leak was already occurring by the time we got here. This might be because of the game's dark sense of humor as to why it's just considered another part of the sightseeing tour, but that container failure should probably have shut down the facility for the day right then and there.

Then again, since radioactive waste in this series is treated the same as video game lava (i.e. don't touch it and you're cool), maybe I'm just overthinking it.

This is a game where the government happily orders murdering hundreds of its employees to cover up a research accident. Some people caught in a radioactive spill is probably not a major concern.

quote:

By the way, there's something I neglected to mention about the part at the beginning with the two grumbling marines. That section used to be a longer network of ducts that formed somewhat of a maze in the original Half-Life. Possibly because it was considered to be dull or tedious, it was trimmed down to a more linear progression. I personally don't feel too torn up about it getting the cut. It doesn't help that we crawl a lot slower in this game.

Of course, there's already a mod to restore it for those that consider crawling through a set of same-looking rectangular pipes an integral part of experience.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Its usually just me but I've always enjoyed the decrepit industrial areas of Black Mesa (the game and facility). Maybe its the ridiculously overly hazardous environment I enjoy more than the actual look but they combine nicely together.

Gantolandon posted:

Of course, there's already a mod to restore it for those that consider crawling through a set of same-looking rectangular pipes an integral part of experience.

I don't remember a vent maze at all from the original. I did use the mod that expanded a later underground section but that's less of a maze and just more game.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I've been meaning to ask, did this mod make the vault jump and long jump a bit less janky to do?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Long jump is a double jump now, I think?

They put a limit of 3 on the number you can preform in a row before your jump recharges, but its still a massive upgrade from the original.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I do like the implication that Gordon can perform these superhuman feats of athletics because the HEV suit is a spinoff from a project to develop powered armor for the military. Also explains why the suit is so resistant to small arms fire in addition to actual environmental hazards.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Klaus88 posted:

Long jump is a double jump now, I think?

They put a limit of 3 on the number you can preform in a row before your jump recharges, but its still a massive upgrade from the original.

It looks to me like it's still a long jump; what I noticed is that you can do it right out of the gate rather than having to wait until the last section of the game. Also it looks like the Black Mesa devs had that game-long functionality in mind for their level design.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
What I've been doing so far is jumping while holding down sprint, which is a function that didn't exist in the original Half-Life. It was either a brisk run or a slow walk and nothing in between. Sprint jumping can get you a lot of airtime and can be combined with a crouch in midair in order to reach tricky ledges. Plus it's just kinda cool.

As for the long jump, as explained by other folks, it's actually more akin to an airdash now where you can press jump in midair to get a quick burst of momentum. It's a lot easier to control than the original maneuver and there will be more opportunities to make use of it, but we'll see that when we get there.

e: Oh yeah, and the next update's in a few hours. Got an 8-4:30 that keeps me occupied during the week.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 23, 2020

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Part 6: Power Up

I'll tell you one thing about HECU encounters: there's never a shortage of stuff blowing up. Power Up, like most chapter titles, has two meanings. The first, of course, is that we have to fight our way to a generator in order to provide enough juice to start a mechanism. The second is that both the aliens and Gordon are adding more tools to their arsenal. In our case, it's the Magnum Revolver, a souped-up handgun capable of flooring most mid-tier enemies with a single well-placed headshot. For a lot of HECU encounters, this baby is going to be our bread and butter.

In their case, it's the Gargantua, a surprisingly mobile and VERY deadly miniboss that cannot be killed by conventional firepower. It used to be in Half-Life 1 that you could damage them with heavy weaponry and explosives, but their only weakness is environmental puzzles now, and there will be more of them down the line, believe you me. This chapter is just a taste of what's to come.

And yes, I know that there are two sniper weapons in this game. You don't need to remind me.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Eh, it was the 90s. The Government and The Man were always sending in troops to bring you down. They are literally FEMA death squads.This is an area where HL1 differs greatly from HL2 (and I'll be interested to see if they change the ending to bring the two closer together).

The remake's take on the Python/Magnum is interesting; I remember the pre-retail release gave it to you a lot earlier (as far back as the generator tunnels during Blast Pit, if I remember correctly). According to the wiki the original game gave it to you in the same place, but I don't remember finding it there. Apparently the name confusion is because the weapon was intended to be a .44 Magnum in the game files, but uses a revolver model.

The Magnum was very popular because it was a "skillshot", a very high-damage all-or-nothing pistol that could one-shot any human enemy with a headshot, including other players in MP. It seemed obvious that the remake devs had gone out of their way to bring it back early as a fan favourite, and they gave you lots of ammo for it.

Oh, and I don't remember the first release dropping your ammo count so hard. I wonder if that was a way to bring the difficulty back up after scaling back the marines' AI?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HECUs with shotguns are so much worse than HECU's with the SMG because the shotgunners don't give a gently caress and just run at you and never stop. On harder difficulties they can down you from max health/power to nothing in a few quick shots.

Out of curiosity are you using the quasi-official On a Rail Uncut mod? or just stick with the regular?

Loxbourne posted:

Eh, it was the 90s. The Government and The Man were always sending in troops to bring you down. They are literally FEMA death squads.This is an area where HL1 differs greatly from HL2 (and I'll be interested to see if they change the ending to bring the two closer together).

The remake's take on the Python/Magnum is interesting; I remember the pre-retail release gave it to you a lot earlier (as far back as the generator tunnels during Blast Pit, if I remember correctly). According to the wiki the original game gave it to you in the same place, but I don't remember finding it there. Apparently the name confusion is because the weapon was intended to be a .44 Magnum in the game files, but uses a revolver model.

The Magnum was very popular because it was a "skillshot", a very high-damage all-or-nothing pistol that could one-shot any human enemy with a headshot, including other players in MP. It seemed obvious that the remake devs had gone out of their way to bring it back early as a fan favourite, and they gave you lots of ammo for it.

Oh, and I don't remember the first release dropping your ammo count so hard. I wonder if that was a way to bring the difficulty back up after scaling back the marines' AI?

I do remember getting the magnum early in one of the pre-retail versions, maybe even in Office Complex?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Kibayasu posted:

Out of curiosity are you using the quasi-official On a Rail Uncut mod? or just stick with the regular?

I do remember getting the magnum early in one of the pre-retail versions, maybe even in Office Complex?

I won't be using external mods for this LP, even ones that restore cut content. I understand that a number of dedicated fans have painstakingly restored the parts of the game that the dev team thought were tedious, confusing, or just plain not fun, and while I salute that level of dedication to one's nostalgia, I don't see the point in it myself.

As to the second point, research suggests that you're correct. Essentially the magnum and the shotgun switched places in the early builds of the game, which doesn't make sense for me as a progression, since the shotgun's perfect for bullsquids and zombies and then starts to drop off when more problematic enemies appear, whereas the magnum's strong all game long, more or less.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

Black Mesa pretty directly acknowledges this by having a couple of Steam cheevos for using the Magnum effectively. And to be fair, it is a fun gun to use.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Black Mesa pretty directly acknowledges this by having a couple of Steam cheevos for using the Magnum effectively. And to be fair, it is a fun gun to use.

Yeah. I disagree with Blastinus' remark that you use different weapons for different enemies. As long as you have Magnum, you barely need anything else. If it can't dispatch an enemy with one or two shots, nothing can.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Gantolandon posted:

Yeah. I disagree with Blastinus' remark that you use different weapons for different enemies. As long as you have Magnum, you barely need anything else. If it can't dispatch an enemy with one or two shots, nothing can.

Well, I do agree that there are certain weapons that are just a tier above everything else. It's probably why our maximum amount of SMG grenades has been dropped from 10 to 3, since those are also a guaranteed doom to our enemies and there's little reason to use anything else if you have them.

That said, the Magnum does have a weakness: it can't explode enemies into a greenish-yellow mist. That change alone raised the shotgun a few tiers in my opinion.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The best explanation that I have for why the HECU are targeting Freeman specifically is that they consider him a greater threat than the aliens. The HECU have likely had some successes and some failures against the aliens, but literally every time they've gone up against Freeman he's wiped an entire squad out. He was also present at ground zero of the resonance cascade, so not only has he seen the HECU doing war crimes against civilians, he also knows all of Black Mesa's dirty secrets.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Also, it's not that they specifically target Freeman. We first meet them in the High Security Storage Area where they kill every scientist and guard on their way and the presence of aliens is barely existent. Gordon is just another target that not only keeps fighting back, but keeps moving towards the surface and almost gets out before a bombardment pushed him back. Then he disappears and reemerged in a completely different sector, somewhere close to another group of of soldiers – and at this point neither he has any reason to not consider them hostile, nor they have any motivation to not shoot him on sight.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.pcgamer.com/black-mesa-is-finally-finished-for-real-this-time/

Hadn't realized that Black Mesa hadn't been finished until now.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/black-mesa-is-finally-finished-for-real-this-time/

Hadn't realized that Black Mesa hadn't been finished until now.

Son of a...

Well, I guess that's something to look forward to when I boot up Steam after work. I'm curious as to what this will do to my ongoing playthrough. I just finished recording the next update last night.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

Also, it's not that they specifically target Freeman. We first meet them in the High Security Storage Area where they kill every scientist and guard on their way and the presence of aliens is barely existent. Gordon is just another target that not only keeps fighting back, but keeps moving towards the surface and almost gets out before a bombardment pushed him back. Then he disappears and reemerged in a completely different sector, somewhere close to another group of of soldiers – and at this point neither he has any reason to not consider them hostile, nor they have any motivation to not shoot him on sight.

Yeah, the military has most likely been given orders to neutralize more or less everything that moves, be it human personnel or something else. It's also very much a possibility that no one in the brass knew or bothered to pass along what an HEV suit is, so while Freeman might look a bit garish, he's probably not really immediately identifiable as a special target. Until he starts killing military dudes I guess, but the whole situation in the facility is escalating rapidly anyway, we now had a bullet-proof dragon killing military dudes too.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Part 7: On a Rail

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who actually celebrates that. If not, Happy Thursday. It's one of the better days of the week.

This update is a bit special because in the middle of it, Black Mesa was updated to the next big version, what they call the Definitive Edition. That the game was still in development was news to me as well. Rather unhelpful news, since it means that all of my saves are now completely incompatible with the current version of the game, up to and including my purple top hat playthrough. Joy...

On a Rail itself has gone through a rather major revision from its maze-like Half-Life 1 counterpart, becoming what is effectively a straight line with the occasional stop to deal with monster/marine-shaped bumps in the road. And then it went through ANOTHER revision when the Definitive Edition dropped yesterday. The meaning of the title is self-evident, really. Gordon Freeman is being forced to be the big hero that Black Mesa needs because the doors won't open until he does so. One man's tireless quest for survival is inadvertently causing him to become a one-man army against a corrupt government and also mankind's last hope against an alien invasion, all because the tools for the world's salvation happen to be strewn along his path. It's sort of comical, in a way, like those old cartoons showing a guy tripping and bumbling his way into foiling a spy plot when all he did was stand in the wrong place at the right time.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Part 7: On a Rail
This update is a bit special because in the middle of it, Black Mesa was updated to the next big version, what they call the Definitive Edition. That the game was still in development was news to me as well. Rather unhelpful news, since it means that all of my saves are now completely incompatible with the current version of the game, up to and including my purple top hat playthrough. Joy...

What? No! I was about to finish the last few chapters...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Half-Pint did a rather perfect take on the original version of On a Rail.

https://twitter.com/TheTrashbang/status/1326786492925173763

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Half-Pint did a rather perfect take on the original version of On a Rail.

https://twitter.com/TheTrashbang/status/1326786492925173763

The original On a Rail wasn't the worst level in the game, but it was probably the most boring one. Long miles of same-ish concrete tunnels, interrupted by an occasional marine outpost. The only thing I miss is the HECU's repeated attempts of psychological warfare.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Gantolandon posted:

The original On a Rail wasn't the worst level in the game, but it was probably the most boring one. Long miles of same-ish concrete tunnels, interrupted by an occasional marine outpost. The only thing I miss is the HECU's repeated attempts of psychological warfare.

There's one of those messages in the level, but you can hardly see it unless you're shining a flashlight on it. I had to go back and check, only to realize that I'd walked past it like a half-dozen times. It didn't even have the funny misspellings of the original.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Marines who can spell correctly? Now that breaks my immersion.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Part 8: Apprehension

Apprehension presumably refers to the general opinion people have of this chapter, because this and the next one are a bit of a low point for the game if I'm going to be honest. Take your pick of: enemies that either get way too close or too far away, environmental puzzles, 1st-person platforming, murky swimming sections, and even more warehouses. It doesn't help that the enemies in this segment are all kinds that play into my illogical paranoia, so I felt a bit on edge as I was recording it. It says a lot that I was able to get past this point at all, since when I was a kid, I was so afraid of sharks that every playthrough of Half-Life 1 would end right here. At the shark cage.

Oh, and we also got to see a little of Half-Life: Source. Released in 2004 to coincide with Half-Life 2, it's a barebones remake of Half-Life 1 with Source Engine add-ons like realistic water, ragdoll physics, and support for 16:9 widescreen resolutions instead of the original game's 4:3. Sounds fantastic, right? Well, the problem is that it was obviously a slap-dash job and it came with a variety of issues. For instance, you won't see it in the video, but the leeches we encounter can actually bite at you from out of arm's reach while other enemies can end up not doing any damage at all. Also, the menu options claim that you can enable subtitles, but they don't end up appearing, even if you toggle that on. I'll be avoiding HL: Source for the most part, except if there's a bug that's very funny, but it was worth showing off because Black Mesa cut an enemy out that will become important later in the series.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The rocket launch section never did quite make sense in Half-Life 1. Some people at the time praised this for adding to the sense that Gordon has only his own limited perspective on events and doesn't know the full picture, but it was weird and a little disjointed when you first just told to Launch That Rocket, Don't Ask Why.

The answer came in the demo ("Half-Life Uplink") which contained a cut section where Gordon has to override a lockdown of the Lambda Complex outer doors. The doors are sealed under some sort of nuclear accident failsafe, and the only way to get them to re-open is to broadcast the all-clear signal (which needs a fresh communications satellite in orbit for some reason). That's what you needed to launch a rocket for.

That section is in daylight whereas this one is at night. It was presumably recycled cut content from the main game, and it at least explained what was going on. As it happens we would get an entirely different explanation for this sequence of events much, much, MUCH later...so the added radio dialogue does help a little here.

Also I don't believe you ever saw marine zombies in the original Half-Life. Headcrabs seem to be able to zombify corpses, so I figure they scavenge battle sites for usable bodies.

Finally, the Ichthyosaur scared the heck out of me on my early playthroughs...but in the original its movement was hellaciously janky and it seemed to stutter about, almost teleporting sometimes. Seeing this play out squelched all my fear and I was able to fight them cheerily without issue...and now the remake makes them scary again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Loxbourne posted:

Also I don't believe you ever saw marine zombies in the original Half-Life. Headcrabs seem to be able to zombify corpses, so I figure they scavenge battle sites for usable bodies.

Or just a headcrab dropping out of a vent onto a soldier not wearing a helmet. Most marines are visibly wearing helmets and gas masks if you look closely, but some aren't, and a headcrab can apparently do their thing pretty drat fast.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Recon marines wear berets so they could be likely victims to a surprise attack if anything. And based on the one stuck to an IV drop it's obvious the Marines had no idea what they do.

Also yeah, the only zombie marines showed up in Opposing Force as I recall. But it's nice with some variation in this case.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Or just a headcrab dropping out of a vent onto a soldier not wearing a helmet. Most marines are visibly wearing helmets and gas masks if you look closely, but some aren't, and a headcrab can apparently do their thing pretty drat fast.

Headcrabs can get through helmets somehow. You'll see it more clearly with another kind of zombie.

Also, Apprehension still wasn't the worst level in the original Half-Life, but this is where we have probably the worst execution of imprisonment trope in the video game history. It used to be popular back then to get the hero captured, take away their arsenal and force them to free themselves with no weapons (or just their fists). Plenty of games did this: Duke Nukem 3D, Dark Forces or Thief: The Dark Project for example. Except for the last game, it never really made sense why does the hero (who has slaughtered hundreds of enemy troops until that point) surrenders on gunpoint or gets dispatched with something they would normally shrug off.

Here, it makes even less sense. Gordon gets jumped by two HECU soldiers, goes down... somehow, despite wearing a hazard suit with reactive armor that can shrug off several shotgun blasts. Dispatching one of the worst threats in the entire Black Mesa complex could get them a hero's treatment, but for some reason they decide to disregard their orders and kill Freeman instead (despite setting off an ambush to capture him just a moment before). And how are they going to do that? Well, I'll probably won't spoil much by saying we don't start the next chapter with a bullet in our skull and a game over screen.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Gantolandon posted:

Here, it makes even less sense. Gordon gets jumped by two HECU soldiers, goes down... somehow, despite wearing a hazard suit with reactive armor that can shrug off several shotgun blasts. Dispatching one of the worst threats in the entire Black Mesa complex could get them a hero's treatment, but for some reason they decide to disregard their orders and kill Freeman instead (despite setting off an ambush to capture him just a moment before). And how are they going to do that? Well, I'll probably won't spoil much by saying we don't start the next chapter with a bullet in our skull and a game over screen.

The answer to this is "the 90s". I know I bang on about it, but the US military we're seeing here is the one seen in the X-Files or the dreams of Alex Jones and a thousand doomsday preppers. Dumb, overmuscled, obeys orders to slaughter civilians without question but is too obsessed with being badass to maintain proper discipline. Incredibly well-equipped and cocky but entirely defeated by basic common sense and simple traps. Gordon just fought an actual Government Black Ops Death Squad (and look, they had an unmarked black helicopter too).

Half Life 1 is very, very much a product of the pre-9/11 world. If it had come out three years later, Valve would have been denounced on Fox and Sierra probably wouldn't have even published it.

(On a lighter note, another excellent mod Back In The Day cast you as the security guard who gets shot from behind when the assassins show up! It even recreates that sequence note-perfectly, where Gordon Freeman comes up the lift and you realise OH SHI- and do the fastest 180 in video gaming history. Of course you're a protagonist now and survive this time, but it was brilliantly done).

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Gantolandon posted:

Headcrabs can get through helmets somehow. You'll see it more clearly with another kind of zombie.

Also, Apprehension still wasn't the worst level in the original Half-Life, but this is where we have probably the worst execution of imprisonment trope in the video game history. It used to be popular back then to get the hero captured, take away their arsenal and force them to free themselves with no weapons (or just their fists). Plenty of games did this: Duke Nukem 3D, Dark Forces or Thief: The Dark Project for example. Except for the last game, it never really made sense why does the hero (who has slaughtered hundreds of enemy troops until that point) surrenders on gunpoint or gets dispatched with something they would normally shrug off.

I think my favorite part of what's coming up is that, yes, they're going to strip us of our weapons, but they don't take the HEV suit off. I mean, good thing, or else we'd be really screwed, but it seems like a glaring hole in their plan.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

The answer to this is "the 90s". I know I bang on about it, but the US military we're seeing here is the one seen in the X-Files or the dreams of Alex Jones and a thousand doomsday preppers. Dumb, overmuscled, obeys orders to slaughter civilians without question but is too obsessed with being badass to maintain proper discipline. Incredibly well-equipped and cocky but entirely defeated by basic common sense and simple traps. Gordon just fought an actual Government Black Ops Death Squad (and look, they had an unmarked black helicopter too).

Half Life 1 is very, very much a product of the pre-9/11 world. If it had come out three years later, Valve would have been denounced on Fox and Sierra probably wouldn't have even published it.

Blastinus posted:

I think my favorite part of what's coming up is that, yes, they're going to strip us of our weapons, but they don't take the HEV suit off. I mean, good thing, or else we'd be really screwed, but it seems like a glaring hole in their plan.

Given all the things they changed in Black Mesa, I expected them to rework this part to make it have a little more sense. They even replaced wall chargers with the manhole exit in 1.5 (most likely to make sure the player wants to enter this room), but still left this weird moment relatively unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Gantolandon posted:

Given all the things they changed in Black Mesa, I expected them to rework this part to make it have a little more sense. They even replaced wall chargers with the manhole exit in 1.5 (most likely to make sure the player wants to enter this room), but still left this weird moment relatively unchanged.

That's the other interesting thing about this scene actually. In my initial test run back when I was putting this LP together, I'd forgotten that this room was the one where the titular Apprehension occurred. So my natural instinct, when it was the wall chargers pre-Definitive Edition, was to look around and check for ambushes before using the chargers. What ended up happening was that one of the marines popped out of hiding and I almost headshotted him before the mandatory KO occurred.

That's why I think they changed it so that it was a ladder leading to a hole with the sun shining out of it, so that the player's eye would be naturally drawn to the center of the room and not to the corners where the marines are hiding.