Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

E: fuckdammit REALLY? Update last page.

With Call revealed, I think I can start doing some Gods writeups.

Let's start with the easiest one to analyze, Zeus.

God analysis: Zeus
Portfolio: thunder, lightning and horniness. They made him leave the last one at home for the game.
Boon themes: lightning, lightning and more lightning.

All of Zeus' offensive boons deal lightning damage, in two forms:
a) chain lightning effects strike an enemy and then will try to chain towards other nearby enemies or destructibles in the scenery. Bounce speed, range and number of bounces depends on the boon.
b) a lightning bolt strikes an area, damaging all enemies within it. Usually they are targeted at an enemy.

Status effect: Jolted, requires a boon to activate. Dealing lightning damage to an enemy will jolt them; the next time they attack, they will be struck by a lightning bolt, consuming the Jolted status effect. Starts at 60 damage, scales well with rarity and poms.

Basic boons:
Attack: Zagreus' attack also strikes all enemies hit with a chain lightning. 10 base damage, 4 bounces max, fairly slow chain speed, no tracking.

Special: Zagreus' special will also strike all enemies hit with a lightning bolt. 30 base damage. This boon cannot trigger on a single enemy more than once every 0.2 seconds, to prevent shenanigans with fast specials such as the bow's. One weapon has a special that hits exactly once every 0.2 seconds, to enable shenanigans with this boon.

Cast: Zagreus' cast becomes a chain lightning. 60 damage, 5 bounces, fast projectile speed, good tracking.

Dash: when dashing, a lightning bolt strikes a nearby foe. 10 base damage.

Call: for 1.5 seconds, Zeus zaps nearby foes with lightning bolts. 50 damage per bolt.

Support boons: most of Zeus boons make your lightning effects better in some way. Apart from that, he has two boons interacting with Zagreus' call (from any god).

Legendary: [redacted]

[Redacted]: [redacted]

All in all, Zeus is a fairly strong god and the correct number of Zeus boons is from one to all of them because everything synergizes. Ok, the dash sucks and you still want another god or two in your build for reasons ([redacted]).

Make sure to get a common boon that fits your weapon (I'd avoid Zeus attack on the bow for example) but thunder uncle is always a welcome addition to any build; part of this is because most of his no-prerequisite boons are good, so even if you're towards the end of a run and you happen upon him for the first time he can only offer good poo poo, if generic. Other gods have a lot of situational duds that you really don't want to see towards the end.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I think Nyx's "you can do more stuff with the mirror now" dialogue is related to (spoilers just in case) being able to switch between two different mirror passives.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Dusa is Best Girl, and I'll hear no words to the contrary.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Dusa tries her best. :3:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Is it possible to say anything bad about Dusa anywhere at all, at any time?

*blush* oh I mean :kheldragar:

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 29, 2020

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

In this thread we love and appreciate Dusa. :colbert:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Dusa great!

Also they changed several of the trinkets over the course of development. Sisyphus' used to increase trap damage, which was super situational and i'm glad they got rid of it, even if in practice it's still not the best one most of the time.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Glad to see everyone here can appreciate how important Dusa is.

Malah
May 18, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Dusa is amazing and her voice and animations deserve showing off.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I too am a fan of Maid Dusa :allears:

I apologize that the next 10 posts are just going to be :psyboom:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm a huge fan of how our narrator basically just set all this in motion by not minding his spoilers.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Sadly my idea of making kheldragar sized for emote didn't work but this is an avy for someone who wants it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

People make Hades memes now, as it turns out.

(not mine, found in the PYF meme thread)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bellmaker posted:

I too am a fan of Maid Dusa :allears:

I just got that and I don't like it :catstare:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I just got that and I don't like it :catstare:

Gods loving dammit. :psyboom:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Reminder that Hades is GOTY and if I see Geoff Keighley I'll fight him.

Omobono posted:

Weapon analysis: Spear.

Attack string: three stabs dealing 25/30/30 damage. Middling speed, but little recovery.

Spin to win attack: after an attack, keep the attack button pressed to charge up the spin. 3 levels of charge, dealing increasing damage (30/50/100) over a circular area of increasing radius around Zagreus. Very long recovery animation, but it can be dash-canceled. It can hit through walls.

Tech move: dashing with the spin attack ready (at any charge level) will execute both the dash AND the spin attack, greatly increasing the area covered by the spin attack while keeping all the benefits of the dash. If that wasn't enough, the recovery animation after the spin attack will be massively shortened.

Special: throw the spear, dealing 25 damage to all enemies in a line up to its max range. Zagreus can recall the spear with special or attack (25 damage on the return flight) or walk over it to retrieve it.

Dash strike: 20 damage. It kinda sucks to be honest, but it's a great lead in for charging the spin.

The spin spear is an hybrid melee-ranged weapon. Its attack is the slowest of the melee weapons, but it has a lot of range and it's not that slow anyways. The special is a somewhat decent ranged attack, although it's a bit slow to execute overall between the throw and the recall. Lastly, the spin attack simply destroys rooms.

Unlike other weapons, the spear is extremely versatile at the cost of having comparatively weak baseline moves. During any spear run, your ultimate strategy, and which move to focus on, will depend primarily on which hammers you get. Frequent and proper use of the spin attack is also a necessity at least until the run has a working build.

Suggested boons. On attack: Ares (normal rooms are solved), Athena (deflect spin is glorious), Aphrodite or Artemis (boss damage)
On special: Zeus or Ares (massive immediate damage on hit).
Suggested hammers: any. No, seriously, I think they're all fantastic.

Furthermore, [mechanics redacted]

CODEX ENTRIES posted:

OLYMPIAN GODS
Ares
Although my heart has long since stopped, it yet holds love in it for all the gods, save one, the one who made and ruined me as well. I have no kind words to impart to him, except, perhaps, in form of this concession: War, much like the heavens and the sea, can be considered as a force of nature. It keeps men down; they will never grow too plentiful, this way, or near as mighty as the gods. And yet, men worship Ares willingly; they are so much like him. I should know. I was a warrior myself. Only in death do I begin to fully grasp my wrongs.

Dionysus
Perhaps I ought to feel a kinship with this easygoing son of Zeus, for it is said that he has some mortal blood in him, not just divinity. This may explain why he, among Olympians, is so well-loved by mortal-kind; because he loves them back, bringing to them more joy than suffering, for the most part. Being rather unlike the other gods in this regard, he nonetheless maintains a careful distance from the Underworld, generally severing his ties with all his mortal followers upon the moment of their deaths. Why confront the woes of the dead when you can live in eternal feast?

Zeus
The Master of the Heavens, god among gods; so much of my mortal life was impacted by him. And now, even in death, I serve his brother. I do not think that I have much to say for the Lord Zeus which is not widely known, already. Once, he overthrew the Titans, his own ancestors, to wrest control of all the heavens and the earth. He yet presides as ruler over all. Lord Hades bears no love for him, for reasons I can scarce begin to contemplate; it is as though Lord Hades chooses willingly not to consort with the Olympians.

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 18, 2020

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Varatha is one of my favorite weapons, too! In fact, I think my first clear was with it.

And, as a counterpoint to Party Bug's dislike of Varatha's Special, I've found that the Daedalus upgrade that allows the Special to hit multiple enemies, coupled to any boon that increases damage or applies a debuff, to be incredible effective!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Your spear needs more spins.

Weapon analysis: Spear.

Attack string: three stabs dealing 25/30/30 damage. Middling speed, but little recovery.

Spin to win attack: after an attack, keep the attack button pressed to charge up the spin. 3 levels of charge, dealing increasing damage (30/50/100) over a circular area of increasing radius around Zagreus. Very long recovery animation, but it can be dash-canceled. It can hit through walls.

Tech move: dashing with the spin attack ready (at any charge level) will execute both the dash AND the spin attack, greatly increasing the area covered by the spin attack while keeping all the benefits of the dash. If that wasn't enough, the recovery animation after the spin attack will be massively shortened.
Theseus showcased it fantastically last video.

Special: throw the spear, dealing 25 damage to all enemies in a line up to its max range. Zagreus can recall the spear with special or attack (25 damage on the return flight) or walk over it to retrieve it.

Dash strike: 20 damage. It kinda sucks to be honest, but it's a great lead in for charging the spin.

The spin spear is an hybrid melee-ranged weapon. Its attack is the slowest of the melee weapons, but it has a lot of range and it's not that slow anyways. The special is a somewhat decent ranged attack, although it's a bit slow to execute overall between the throw and the recall. Lastly, the spin attack simply destroys rooms.

Unlike other weapons, the spear is extremely versatile at the cost of having comparatively weak baseline moves. During any spear run, your ultimate strategy, and which move to focus on, will depend primarily on which hammers you get. Frequent and proper use of the spin attack is also a necessity at least until the run has a working build.

Suggested boons. On attack: Ares (normal rooms are solved), Athena (deflect spin is glorious), Aphrodite or Artemis (boss damage)
On special: Zeus or Ares (massive immediate damage on hit).
Suggested hammers: any. No, seriously, I think they're all fantastic.

Furthermore, [mechanics redacted]

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AltaBrown posted:

Varatha is one of my favorite weapons, too! In fact, I think my first clear was with it.

And, as a counterpoint to Party Bug's dislike of Varatha's Special, I've found that the Daedalus upgrade that allows the Special to hit multiple enemies, coupled to any boon that increases damage or applies a debuff, to be incredible effective!

(Almost) all the spear hammers are great. The special is usually the weaker part of the kit, but the 7 bounces upgrade or the exploding upgrade can turn it into a beast.

% damage boons on the special are usually wasted, it does not have a fast enough execution time, but on-hit boons (like that epic Zeus flourish last video) are really good on it.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So I am getting the impression that Hades also does the roguelike thing where if you don't get good rolls on your upgrades the enemy health scaling means that as you progress rooms start to drag longer and longer?

As a side note, thanks for showing off those vistas, they are super suggestive and I just love what they did with the art direction in this game. And I am amazed by the voice acting, the lines, all their takes on the characters of the myths. It is a joy to watch.
And don't drag on yourself for your gameplay, I personally think it's fine. I know how these sorts of games can make one feel so inadequate, because of how demanding they are. But you are putting on a good show

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 13, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

mortons stork posted:

So I am getting the impression that Hades also does the roguelike thing where if you don't get good rolls on your upgrades the enemy health scaling means that as you progress rooms start to drag longer and longer?

As a side note, thanks for showing off those vistas, they are super suggestive and I just love what they did with the art direction in this game. And I am amazed by the voice acting, the lines, all their takes on the characters of the myths. It is a joy to watch.
And don't drag on yourself for your gameplay, I personally think it's fine. I know how these sorts of games can make one feel so inadequate, because of how demanding they are. But you are putting on a good show

Hades does not have health scaling in the sense in which I think you use the term. It does introduce tougher enemies as the game progresses but each given enemy type has the exact same stats every time you play.

There is an extent to which it becomes necessary to scale your build faster than the rate at which the enemy toughness in each area goes up, and some builds are more efficient than others but on the whole a lack of synergy is not the kiss of death in Hades that it might have been in, say, Dead Cells (which literally does scale enemies in response to your own upgrades (I think this has since changed? But I long ago gave up on Dead Cells)).

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm kinda curious, how is enemy spawning handled in Hades? Does it select X types of monsters from a pool at the start of each run?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm gonna disagree with Omobono and say that I always found the spin attack way too slow without the hammer upgrade that speeds up its charging. Some aspects make spin to win better or even necessary, but it can harm more often than it helps. Contrarily, if you get the hammer that triples the dash strike, it becomes ridiculously good, especially with something like a Zeus boon on attack where you want a fast firing weapon.

Honestly, the spear is my least favorite weapon. None of its aspects really click with me, and I tend to consider high heat runs with it doomed without that one specific hammer. But as mentioned it's the slowest of the melee weapons and i've got a need for speed in my playstyle, so much enjoyment to those of you who do like it.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 14, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fair, that spin IS slow.
The way I find time, on (biggish mechanics spoiler) 40% speed up, is to dodge to the side with a dash strike and channel the spin at the end of the dash. The mobs need a split second to retarget after a dash and it's more than enough to spindash like an hedgehog. It won't be fully charged but it's still a massive fuckoff AoE.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

inscrutable horse posted:

I'm kinda curious, how is enemy spawning handled in Hades? Does it select X types of monsters from a pool at the start of each run?

Sort of?

Every area has its own pool of enemies and enough rooms that you'll usually encounter all the standard types over the course of a run, though over a lot of different formations between runs. Every area also has a couple of designated minibosses of which you can encounter one or two per run (and usually you'll have a choice of whether or not to do so). You'll never encounter exalted in Tartarus or gorgons in Elysium.

Enemies come in various kinds of formation (ie, different proportions, maybe spread out over waves or something) but the total number of enemies you fight in a non-boss room is actually a variable with some things that can alter it (eg, sometimes you might see "fight 20% more enemies per encounter" on something).

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I was wondering, because from the videos it looks like each run only spawns, say, one half of available enemy types for each area; like in one run through Asphodel, there were a lot of the bomb-tossing type - and in the latest I don't think I saw them at all.

Granted, this might just be me glossing over all the graphical effects v:shobon:v

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Semi-random, each room spawns one to three enemy types.
(Not counting things like the skull piles spawning the small skulls)

Out of the top of my head, there are 10 or 11 normal enemy types in Asphodel. By simple statistics, you won't see all in a single run.

Tartarus and Elysium have 8 normal enemy types that I can recall. (Obviously different sets of 8)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Warning: This is pretty long and I ended up pretty down on Hades. I really don't mean to say "The game you like is bad" or anything but Hades is absolutely fascinating to me because I recognise that it's incredibly well designed from multiple levels but I really can't stand it.

This is where I got to before I put Hades down.

Theseus and the Minotaur is a really cool boss fight that I wanted to learn and master. However, any death on them cost me 20 minutes or so of time that I'd then have to spend getting back to them.

The moment to moment gameplay in Hades is really good, bordering on great. I want that to be as clear as possible. I have certain gripes around the isometric view resulting in issues and that offense isn't rewarded enough but those are minor at best.

The big problem for me is that the enemy diversity isn't sufficient to maintain my interest across 20+ attempts. By the time I was at attempt 20 I was thoroughly bored of fighting the same sets of enemies in Tartarus over and over again.

I think the game intends to compensate for this through two things, weapon diversity and build diversity.

From the perspective of the weapons, if you enjoy employing a range of weapons then the game is great, but if you like mastering one, there really isn't that much there. I felt after maybe 7 or 8 attempts I had a really good handle on what the sword did and I was a little disappointed to see that there wasn't any more depth to the gameplay. Ultimately dash in, stab a bunch, dash out during enemy windup gets boring.

From the perspective of powers. I understand the appeal of the game is building your character from floor to floor and guiding your build along. But the lack of agency over what shows up really annoyed me eventually. People would talk about builds they'd managed, that I'd really just want to try or play with and unless I was handed them by the gods of RNG I just wasn't going to be able to experiment.

This compounded for me into a lack of comparability. I never really felt I could make an informed choice between powers because I never had a comparable frame of reference for the efficacy of the powers against one another. I still don't know for example, how good Artemis A was relative to Zeus A, or whether taking Artemis A was better than Artemis B on the sword. (I don't know what the reference actually is, but I used A,B and C to compartmentalise regular attack, hard attack and dash)

The lite part of the Roguelite experience here generally veers towards improving your survivability rather than increasing your damage or killspeed, so my speed at clearing Tartarus on attempt 20 wasn't dissimilar to attempt 5, I'd just make it out with more resources for later parts.

So all of this built up over time into a situation where I kept on getting builds that I didn't find effective or fun to play because of RNG, facing enemies that i was bored of with a weapon that i liked playing but couldn't do any more with.

And this meant that by the third time I'd died to Theseus I basically just didn't want to play any more because I'd have to grind through another 20 minutes of irrelevant content to get back to the boss I actually wanted to fight.

I don't really know how to put all of this together really. I often feel like I'm basically the only person in the world who feels this way about the game, so I'm willing to believe that my brain is just fundamentally broken somewhere. But equally, I can't help but feel that an option to just start at the level you died on should have been somewhere in the game.

And it really sucks, I want to know what happens to Zagreus because he's cool, I want to know more about the plot and I want to see what more of the bosses look like, but I just can't bear to think about doing Tartarus for the 21st time.

Anyway, that is overly long post about Hades, I look forward to more LP.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Natural 20 posted:

Warning: This is pretty long and I ended up pretty down on Hades. I really don't mean to say "The game you like is bad" or anything but Hades is absolutely fascinating to me because I recognise that it's incredibly well designed from multiple levels but I really can't stand it
I don't really know how to put all of this together really. I often feel like I'm basically the only person in the world who feels this way about the game, so I'm willing to believe that my brain is just fundamentally broken somewhere. But equally, I can't help but feel that an option to just start at the level you died on should have been somewhere in the game.

You aren't. Some people just don't like rogue-li_es, or if the core gameplay loop ain't doing it for for you, what can you do? Some people don't mind going to Tartaus another time. Not everyone likes everything.
And that okay. Nobody is going to be angry about your tastes (or at least - nobody who isn't entitled jerk. Looking at the "send seizure-making vids to reviewer 'cause she noted the issue in a game" crowd, that's not a given ; and I'm hoping that this sort of toxic people didn't get to infest this community)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Gun Jam posted:

You aren't. Some people just don't like rogue-li_es, or if the core gameplay loop ain't doing it for for you, what can you do? Some people don't mind going to Tartaus another time. Not everyone likes everything.
And that okay. Nobody is going to be angry about your tastes (or at least - nobody who isn't entitled jerk. Looking at the "send seizure-making vids to reviewer 'cause she noted the issue in a game" crowd, that's not a given ; and I'm hoping that this sort of toxic people didn't get to infest this community)

:10bux: usually scares them off.

I also hit a wall in Elysium and ragequit for a while, but my friend encouraged me to keep going and I'm glad I did. They also gave me their Mirror build which was way better than my own so getting through Tartarus was way less tedious. But yeah, Elysium and Theseus are where a lot of people fall off, nothing wrong with that.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I pretty much had this exact reaction to Dungeon Crawl: same genre as Hades, just didn't click, so joining in on the "it's perfectly fine to drop a game if you hate the core gameplay loop taking a while to get to the part where you last died and actually want to improve on" train.

Elysium was my brick wall for quite a while, and the Theseus fight in particular. It really serve as a test of whether everything comes together in a way that Tartarus and Asphodel don't.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 14, 2020

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Personally, I just turned on God Mode and never looked back! I'm not great with rogueli_es, and I deeply appreciate SuperGiant for including the option.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Elysium has, simultaneously, the smallest amount of enemy variety, the highest enemy density, the most excessive HP totals, and the most annoying enemy types in the game. Oh yes, please, put the enemies that take hours to kill, can’t be damaged from the front, and revive after death in the same area as the ones that come in swarms, chase you endlessly at high speed, and explode when you kill them, that’s great.

It’s an unpleasant slog, unless your build is ridiculously murdery, in which case it’s merely a quick slog. They really needed to reconsider some of the design choices there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

megane posted:

Elysium has, simultaneously, the smallest amount of enemy variety, the highest enemy density, the most excessive HP totals, and the most annoying enemy types in the game. Oh yes, please, put the enemies that take hours to kill, can’t be damaged from the front, and revive after death in the same area as the ones that come in swarms, chase you endlessly at high speed, and explode when you kill them, that’s great.

It’s an unpleasant slog, unless your build is ridiculously murdery, in which case it’s merely a quick slog. They really needed to reconsider some of the design choices there.

It's mainly the Butterfly Balls and the Shieldbearers that give me issue since they're both fat stacks of HP that are difficult to throw damage onto

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm enjoying this LP, but the last video made me realize why I'll never enjoy playing this game, and in turn, lead to me removing it from my wishlist: While it's a Rogueli_e, this game is also a bullethell. When I saw all of the dashing to avoid things in the last video, it finally hit home, and it made me think of Enter The Gungeon. Personally, I don't enjoy the defenseive style of gameplay bullethells require.

That said, it's an enjoyable game to watch, and the story is pretty good, so I can't wait to see how it ends.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

I'm enjoying this LP, but the last video made me realize why I'll never enjoy playing this game, and in turn, lead to me removing it from my wishlist: While it's a Rogueli_e, this game is also a bullethell. When I saw all of the dashing to avoid things in the last video, it finally hit home, and it made me think of Enter The Gungeon. Personally, I don't enjoy the defenseive style of gameplay bullethells require.

That said, it's an enjoyable game to watch, and the story is pretty good, so I can't wait to see how it ends.

I'd argue that it might look like a bullet hell, but the amount of projectiles and types of attacks thrown at the player don't really fit with the amount that I'd consider to be one. There's just not enough bullets. Yes, there are some mini-bosses and enemies that'd fit in that sort of game, but there's a lot that aren't. It's really just Elysium that has the dumb amount of projectiles from enemies. Otherwise, it's just a top down (iso) action game similar to Bastion.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Warning: This is pretty long and I ended up pretty down on Hades. I really don't mean to say "The game you like is bad" or anything but Hades is absolutely fascinating to me because I recognise that it's incredibly well designed from multiple levels but I really can't stand it.

This is where I got to before I put Hades down.

This is fair. Almost everyone I've talked to about Hades (myself included) has had some form of "it took me a while to get good enough at Theseus and Bull that they didn't effectively end my run," and if you're not entirely buying in to the gameplay it'd make sense that would kill your interest. I liked working with all the weapons (well, maybe not one of them so much) so it kept me interested, and I think they lean on that pretty hard. There is some more variety to each weapon that's unlockable, and it's been alluded to in game, but it's gated behind enough things that it's very likely that either you'll have lost interest grinding your face against a wall, or you've already bought into the gameplay loop.

You do get some more control over your build with the keepsakes we've been getting from the gods, especially combined with something we haven't seen quite yet but probably will soon, but it's not perfect. If you have something in mind and the game just doesn't want to give you the tools for it on its own, there's still an opportunity cost to having to take the appropriate god's keepsake as opposed to just lucking into it and it's going to make the run not as good. I agree that the game is a little soft on damage increases, at least until midway through working with the mirror; the ones we have access to now are situational. Backstabs are not always the easiest thing to do with how frenzied the combat gets, and I don't blame people forgetting that they can get damage bonuses on enemies with casts in them considering how underwhelming casts are initially. I think around when I unlocked the good mirror things (and finally turned on God Mode) was when I really started to see progress made.

I find the combat a lot of fun, and usually try to go out of my way to make runs a little different to keep myself interested, but I absolutely understand that not being everyone's cup of tea; Zero Punctuation's review of the game was generally positive, but echoed similar issues with getting tired of the combat. Things can be good and not to your liking, and that's okay.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Welcome back to the House of Hades.

Hypnos isn't hanging around today, but you know who's always here for us? It's dad!

You mean Mother. How would you even know? You said reaching the surface was impossible as well, and I'm in striking distance.
This is my final warning to you, boy...to cease this mindless quest. Or else, the consequences shall be worse than what you have experienced so far.
Sorry, Father. I'm not afraid of you.

Meanwhile, dog is thinking about more important matters:

Same.

Over in the corner Nyx and Dusa are having a chat.

Y, yes, right away!
Poor Dusa...

I was just checking up on you, just...let me know if you wanted to talk, for any reason.
I am not interested in having company, especially from you. You stay the hell away while I'm off duty.

That didn't go so well. Maybe Skelly will be nicer.

Appreciate the vote of confidence, mate. Mabe you're right and someday I'll get out of here. Hey, if I never come back, you won't just be stuck here forever, will you?
Heh, hehehe, that's a good one! No! Probably not. Wasn't anything in the contract about that...huh.

And we're off to the races. I grabbed the bow this time, since some weapons net you an additional 10% darkness if you use them. This encourages you to switch it up a bit, along with some other mechanics we'll talk about later.

What's life without a little pain.

Very rarely Hades appears before a run to ruminate on various topics. These always felt a little out of place to me, just because of their scarcity.

This run starts off with Artemis, who ends up showing up quite a few times. She's a Coronacht fan, of course.

Zeus pops up in Tartarus as well. What a nice guy he is, I'm sure he'd never do anything to harm us.

Except here, in this room. We haven't seen one of these before, this is the Trial of the Gods.

Here we get to choose one god to get a boon from. The other will then provide an immediate hindrance in the tough fight that follows. But, if we win that fight, we get a boon from them too!

I decided to go with Artemis here.

That may have been a mistake.

Back at the house, Hypnos doesn't have anything specific to say about getting killed by a god. Kind of unfortunate. More fortunate is that Dusa seems to be hanging around with Cerebrus today.

She's very nervous.

How can you...Nyx is the Night itself, and can do as she pleases, isn't that correct, Father? You think I asked she get involved in all this business?
You, boy, have already dragged this entire household, not to mention my fool relatives, into this mess, which you've created. Which you dare call business.
Pleasure doing business, then.

While we're here I grabbed a new upgrade, which lets Zag change keepsakes in the rooms between levels. Sadly, I didn't have enough gems to get anything else.

Prayed mostly to my mother, lad. I always had my doubts the gods were listening. That they could even hear. though, I suppose that if you make an offering, they might be so inclined, just for the moment, anyway. They helping much?
They're helping, definitely, sir.

Speaking of offerings, we haven't given Achilles any nectar yet. Let's fix that.

This really is for me? You beat me to it, then, as I had meant to give you this when next we spoke. Please, take it.

I'm not a big fan of the Myrmadon Bracer, but it's useful for certain weapons.

...I was here long before your father. The responsibility to govern fell to me. Yet, I could not manage on my own. I shape the darkness; ensure the integrity of the domain. I am less prone to census-taking and administering rules. I receded from such responsibilities.
It was too much, even for you. So...when father arrived...you welcomed him? He helped?
I was quite skeptical of him, at first. I thought his presence merely a cruel trick of Fate. But...he worked diligently, from the start. Soon there was order where once there was none. I fashioned this House for him, and I maintain it still. We remain in partnership. In interdependency.
Has he never taken advantage of you? Of your generosity?
No, child. He has not. He can be short with me, as you have seen. But that is the extend of it. We have found ways to reconcile disagreements. Though, your relationship with him...it is more complicated than me own, I fear...
I'm sure we can reconcile our disagreements all the same.

Maybe Hades isn't all bad. That's everyone in this area, so we'll check on Skelly real quick.

Not a chance, boyo, I'm paid to take it not to dish it out! Now give it to me!
OK!

It's time for another run! This time with the sword, and a Deadalus Hammer right off the bat.

Yeah sure, tell that to Zeus.

Look at this fuckin' guy.

We haven't seen Chaos in a while either, but he pops up on this run. I guess his logic isn't unsound here, since there's no way to avoid Olympian boons. It's kind of a shame, since I'd kind of like to see people doing boonless runs of the game.

Aphrodite also graces us with her presence once again.

You know it's been all right, all things considered. Dying now and the, and it's been hard, but hey, what can you do.
Ah, well, keep your chin up. Me, why I quit trying to get out of here a while back, but, if I was a fire-stepping youngset like yourself, perhaps I would have stuck to it.

Sisyphus is here too! He seems awfully content with just hanging out with his giant boulder. He has some healing to offer, which is a good thing considering Meg is next.

Let's see, how about a swift and painful death, would that be possible?
Be cheeky all you like. You'll get exactly what you asked, and nothing more.

Fortunately it doesn't really go the way Meg wants it to, and we proceed on to Asphodel.

Interestingly, Hermes is the only Olympian who'll never appear in a Trail of the Gods. He never makes you choose him over anyone else, that what makes him our best cuz.

A little later in Asphodel we run in to...singing?
You can give it a listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTg6y2l4duk

It's a new friend!

Hi there! No need for formalities, I'm Zagreus. Just heading out on some official business. Past the menacing Bone Hydra. Don't mean to be rude, though I'm in a bit of a rush.
EURYDICE: Well don't you have your hands full, hon! I'll let you go, but there's one rule in my place, which is: Nobody leaves here empty-handed, you got that? So take your pick, my treat!

Eurydice offers a few nice treats here. They work as follows:

Ambrosia Delight: Loved by the gods. up to 2 random Boons of yours are upgraded to the next Rarity.
Pom Porridge: An Underworld delicacy; up to 4 random Boons of yours gain +1 Lv.
Refreshing Nectar: A rare and fragrant beverage; the next 3 Boons you find have upgraded Rarity.

I almost always take Pom Porridge for some immediate boon upgrades, but it's worth noting that Ambrosia Delight is one of the very few ways to get a Heroic rarity boon.

Once we eat we leave Eurydice behind, but we'll be seeing her again a few times later.

Bone Hydra is here as usual. This guy doesn't have a lot of dialog tied to him, so most of the time we just stroll up and murder him.

This run ends in Elysium. I didn't even get to the boss, just got wiped by some random exalted soul.

Probably!

It will never happen again.

I'm open to a change of climate. Even if it gets a bit uncomfortable.
You know nothing of discomfort, yet. Making it out of Tartarus is nothing in comparison to what lies ahead of you.
Looking forward to it.

Dad is a little behind the times, considering we've made it past Asphodel a few times now. Sometimes dialog gets a bit backed up if you're moving fast, though.

A power that once sealed away the Titans...maybe it's a power that can break me out of here. thank you for helping me, Achilles.

Achilles talks a little more about all our special weapons, and why Hades has them locked up. Meanwhile, Dusa and Meg are having a chat in the lounge:

Ha, hahah, what a bunch of dummies! What were they even thinking, cutting the line, I mean, in front of you?
Let's just say, if they still have any complaints for our Lord Hades, they'll be waiting for a long, long time before they get the chance to bring them up.

Hey, I know people, pal! We'll just have to leave it at that. Now let's see you break some of these bones, huh?

Skelly is a well connected guy. He's also been good target practice, so I decided to reward him with some nectar.

For me, pal? Awful nice of you, just awful nice, but guess what, I got this for you! Tit for tat, you understand, a deal's a deal!

The Lucky Tooth is another good beginner keepsake. It's esentially an extra Death Defiance, it brings you back when you die.

Here we go again.

Another visit from Zeus here. You know, I'd probably bit a bit miserly if I was stuck underground forever too.

Aphrodite is around too, and since I have a spare nectar I decided to pay appropriate tribute.

Lasting relationships are built on reciprocitu. So if you lavish me with gifts, why, what am I to do but give you something in return?

Like most Olympian keepsakes, this one makes it more likely you'll get the god's blessings and better boons when you do.

Nothing else too exciting happens, but on the way out of Tartarus we meet someone new and unexpected...

You must be one of Megaera's lovely sisters, I don't believe we've had the pleasure. Waiting for what, exactly?
...So sick of, you know, doing my regular job, uniterrupted. Not having to clean up Meg's messes!
I get the feeling we're starting off on the wrong foot.
Anyway. I always wanted to kill a god. You'll have to do.

This is Alecto, Meg's sister. She's one of the possible bosses of Tartarus, and (in my opinion) the hardest one.

She killed me so my opinon is objectively correct.

I guess so!

I'm sure this is just the start of a wonderful relationship, don't worry.

More pain and suffering, for sure. after all, you taught me to appreciate the finer things.
You keep telling yourself that, boy. But, mark you my words, sooner or later, this life that you have chosen for yourself shall teach you I was right.

Good talk.

Same again.

Primordial Chaos...indeed, I know them well. They must have taken interest in your quest. I would advise that you beware of their offerings, though know that Chaos, whilst a trickster, is not a deceiver.
I understand. I think.

I definitely don't understand. Anyway, we'll be learning more about Nyx and Chaos later. Probably much later.

After a quick visit to the mirror it's time for the last run of the update.

Zeus and Aphrodite showed up again without much interesting to say. It's when we get to the end of Tartarus again that the fun really begins:

Hey, you must be one of Meg's sisters! Nice to finally meet you. My name's Zagreus. Not Murderer. Definitely not.
Murderer...mmmmurderrrerrrrrr...!
Erm...look, I've done some things that maybe aren't great, but I am very, very sure I haven't murdered anyone.
Mmmmmurderrrerrrrrrr...!

This is Tisiphone, the last of the Furies. She's very projectile focused, but I don't have as much trouble with her as I do with Alecto.

I guess that's one way to prove I'm innocent.

Listen it's not murder if it happens in the underworld. Everyone is already dead.

Poseidon appears a little later, so we grab another keepsake while we're here.

Oh I am positively moved by your affection, little Nephew! Though, I think I have just the thing for you, in turn! Here, I shall transfer it to you!!

Once you've seen one of these you've sort of seen them all.

I was later assassinated by the Bone Hydra.

Hypnos isn't waiting for us this time, but instead in a very important meeting:

Oh! Well, let's see, I woke up, I don't know what time it was, and I made user that every shade had been accounted for, just like I always do, except I couldn't find me list at first, can you believe it? I thought maybe my brother played a little prank, and so...
Get to the blasted point already, I don't have all day! Or night. Urgh! Your report, where is it?
Sorry, I was just getting to it, Master. My list, I found it over by the lounge, it was inside, but I am not the one who put it there, no sir! So I've been making positively sure it's not been tampered withm that it has everbody's name, cause of death, place of birth, former body weight, and previous allergies or medications...
Enough!! Blood and darkness, that's enough from you, just...see to it the ledger of the dead is accurate, and get back to your post. Ugh, would that you could be more like your brother.

Hypnos is not great at his job. Anyway, there's one last thing I want to do here...

Which is to spend some gems and buy the Fated List of Minor Prophecies. This'll appear in Zag's room.

It looks like this. Basically it gives you a list of objectives to complete on runs, such as getting all the different types of boons that Zeus can give. Once you do it, you unlock a reward. These range from gems, to darkness, to nectar. It's another mechanic that encourages you to switch things up and grab boons you might otherwise not, so that's pretty cool.

And that's it for this update! Next time I'll be doing a video on a new weapon, the shield. See you then!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Ah, so there's more than one possible boss per area? Do the other Furies only appear after having beaten Megaera a few times?
By the way, as the saying goes these days: I had to see this, so now you'll also have to.
https://twitter.com/geneathan/status/1341822722980995072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Carpator Diei posted:

Ah, so there's more than one possible boss per area? Do the other Furies only appear after having beaten Megaera a few times?

Only for the first two areas after getting through them enough times. Meg can be replaced by her sisters and the Bone Hydra can have a different coloured main head which does different attacks corresponding to the colour. Essentially making it a beefed up version of the other hydra heads it spawns.