Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Tisiphone does some crazy teleporting gimmicks in her fight. Very disorienting but she seems to be the easiest of the Furies to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Time to learn about rats.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
A run full of favorites! One of my favorite weapons and an introduction to one of my favorite characters.

I agree with you on most points on the shield... although I love Pulverizing Blow just because i'd much rather have the DPS increase over the knockback. The special is occasionally useful as a status-painter, but it definitely feels less effective than just whaling on people with it, barring certain aspects.

Thanatos is the most affectionate of edgelords. He can speak for himself over the coming runs.

Styx is kind of weird overall but it's about the mid-point in level design for me. Maybe even second out of the four? The twist on not having to fight Cerberus is neat, although the actual final boss remains the hardest thing in the game, even now.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 20, 2021

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Spear and shield definitely used to be my favorites, but I think my dislike of their specials eventually drove me to favor the sword (and that other melee weapon we'll probably unlock next video).

On the topic of bosses; I rarely get past Hades without losing at least one death defiance, even back when I was playing religiously on my main file. Theseus and Asterius give a lot of people trouble too, but they don't worry me quite as much.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

You actually can't find the satyr sack in the first path - you used to be able to but you can't anymore.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I wish you could have inspected more of the shiny spots this run, I was interested to see what they were.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Party Bug posted:

Spear and shield definitely used to be my favorites, but I think my dislike of their specials eventually drove me to favor the sword (and that other melee weapon we'll probably unlock next video).

On the topic of bosses; I rarely get past Hades without losing at least one death defiance, even back when I was playing religiously on my main file. Theseus and Asterius give a lot of people trouble too, but they don't worry me quite as much.

Athena Dash makes the shield special a lot more palatable. Though I also underuse the Shield effect of the shield.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Welcome back to the House of Hades, you know the drill.

As you might recall, our last death was to Hades himself. Apparently he doesn't want it getting out.

He's also not home, but the dog is. Glad to see there's no hard feeling here.

Not many people are around the house this particular death, but it does seem to be ladies night (or day) again:

But they're your sisters, I mean...they're family! You must have something in common, some way of, I don't know, seeing eye to eye?
You're more my sister than they are to me, Dusa. I don't always agree with Lord Hades but I am thankful that they're not permitted in this House.
Hey, look, I understand. I really do.

Oh, and there's some new work orders here. Like this one, to get the Rod of Fishing.

Yoko Taro would be pleased.

In other beuracratic news we've fulfilled a few minor prophecies, so I cashed out on a few rewards. Mostly a lot of keys and gems.

Aaaand I've unlocked the next level of the mirror of night. This grants access to:

Deep Pockets - Start each escape attempt from the House of Hades with some wealth, 10 per rank.
Thick Skin - Raise your lief total, +5 per rank.

What, Skelly, you worried something bad is going to happen if I express a bit of generosity from time to time through our somewhat-illicit gift-giving custom around here?
No, I'm worried you'll be wasting your time! If you give that stuff away, don't expect to get anything back. Well, not after the first time, anyway. Usually! I'm just saying...don't get your hopes us.
Maybe I just want to show thanks to me friends for its own sake!
Hahaha, sure!

I will never stop smooching my homies.

Anyway, time to go die.

Look, a new friend!

It's grandma. I'm not a huge fan of her boons, which I'll talk about it a video most likely. Her main deal is that she offers a new status effect called Chill that slows enemies. She also has a very unique Cast that I hate (most of the time).

A bunch of gods show up this run, including rat killing fan Artemis,

and Cereberus fan Poseidon.

Choas also shows up, and it's about time he got a nice swig of nectar.

How droll of you to make attempts to tempt me with material things. Here, then, please in turn allow me this attempt at reciprocity.

He gives us a nice egg in this trying time.

He also comments on our recent jaunt to the surface.

Sometime Zagreus fan Aphrodite appears as well.

Now that we've met Thanatos once he'll be showing up pretty regularly.

I can hold my own in case you haven't noticed, Than.
I haven't Zag! Now, stand back, and let me show you how it's done.

I mean I killed more shades, but that's fine Than. I'll just head on out of Tartarus.

Erm...how about, no? No murder. No murder!
Mmmmuurderrr....

Tisiphone is officially not a problem.

The bone hydra though...maybe a little bit. This time, anyway.

Back at the house Than and Hypnos are having a chat:

I'm just saying, maybe if you just, I don't know, had all the mortals die at the same itme, it'd save you a bunch of trips, and then we'd have more time to spend together, huh?
I don't know why I bother with you, honestly. Get back to work, and let me do the same.

I mean his heart is in the right place. Right?

My desk is far more organized than you, boy! And if you're so concerned about our court musician, why don't you commute his sentance, yourself? Seeing as I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Sure, happy to oblige. I'll just ask the House Contractor since you're too busy.

It seems like having a court musician who doesn't sing isn't much use, but we set Orpheus free regardless. Finally putting those diamonds to use!

Orpheus, you're back! Look, don't get on Father's bad side like that and you're going to be fine. Besides...right now I think he's angrier with me.
I grieve for you, my friend. But if you've come to ask me for a song, why, I'm afraid I must stand firm about my answer.
It's all right. Father can't make you sing if you don't want to.

It's probably been a while since Orpheus had a drink, so let's give him some nectar.

Oh, my, but you can't simply be this kind to me without retaliation on my part, my friend! And so, in turn, I have a gift for you!

As you can imagine this keepsake is pretty good for ranged weaponry.

I'm a gift giving fiend and Nyx is around, so let's get her keepsake too.

Another nice, if situational, keepsake. It can stack pretty neatly with some Chaos boons, which is appropriate.

Dusa's also nearby so we can ask her about all these gorgons we've been murdering.

Oh, hahaha, those old things? They're relatives just in the loosest sense, like...say you had some nasty, almost mindless siblings born entirely from your own blood, something like that? Do you have any idea how hard it was to get a steady job because of them?
So I have your permission to continue hacking down such gorgons with impunity?
Oh yes, absolutely! Thanks for asking, Prince!

For some reason she doesn't zoom up into the rafters after this conversation. Booo.

I have to ask you something, mate. What do you even need the pay for, anyway?
That, pal, is nobody's business but my own! Besides, it's impolite discussing money all the time! Now back to beating me to powder!

With all our business taken care of, we must try to escape once more.

This run starts off with a big Poseidon.

And Chaos in the same room, who has some insight into Aegis, our shield.

A little Ares action as well. We haven't given him an nectar yet, so let's rectify that.

You are a flatterer, my death-inflicting kin. And I am feeling generous, as well, so here! A small token for you of my affection.

Gross cousin.

Artemis is talkin' poo poo. Come back when you got a tidal dash, lady.

Is it wrong of me that I am somewhat honored to have garnered the attention of the Erinyes?
Oh I would say it's very wrong of you, indeed.

Meg is our fury this time, and she doesn't pose much of a threat.

Past her in Asphodel this guy appears.

Of course I know Orpheus, we're mates! Wait, why do you ask?
You're mates, huh. Just as long as you don't count on him for anything. Hasn't even mentioned me, has he. Well if he ever does, you tell him I am doing great! I'm great.

And more importantly, Eurydice! Now that Orpheus is out of prison she has some new things to say about him, and not really nice ones.

This time the Hydra is no problem. Elysium doesn't have anything new, and soon we get to the next boss:

Speak for yourself, Asterius! I, for one, know only pure contempt for this foul daemon and his underhanded fighting style! A style we shall easily dismantle, now!

Nah.

Instead, it's the rats that get me.

Back at the house Hypnos is missing, but Hades and Nyx are at it again.

Hades, my relationship with him remains unchanged. It is the very same relationship from when you first requested I take care of him. He has my full support, and always shall. You must know this. He wishes now to leave. I shall make no attempt to stop him.
Tsch. What good is any one of you? He's not even your son; and yet you coddle him. You know as well as I that he cannot succeed. You fill his mind with harmful delusions. If that is what you want for him, then, please! Proceed at pace.

I hate it when (fake) mom and dad fight.

Don't worry about me, lad. Your father's still getting caught up with work that I created for him in my mortal days. Besides...there's nothing he can take from me. We have a mutual agreement, he and I.

Achilles ain't never scared.

What? Why...yes. I know Eurydice. Or, I once knew her, I should say. Whyever would you ask me such a thing, my friend?
I saw her, mate. In Asphodel. She's doing fine up there! All on her own. The two of you, you used to know each other, then?
We more than knew each other, Zagreus. we were husband and wife. She was my muse. To think that we are doomed to be apart during our afterlives. Ah, well!
Ah, well? Don't you have a message I could bring to her, if we should meet again? Something like that?
I do not wish to trouble her again, my friend. Speak not to her of me, all right? I have my memory of her; it is enough.
You can't be serious.

Orpheus is another downer. I'm sure we can fix that, though.

Speaking of nice things to do, Meg is in the lounge. Let's give her a present nice.

I...I'll see to it this contraband is put away at once. Now, take your finger's fee and go about your business.

This is an interesting one. If you play well it'll never really pan out, but it's nice in a pinch.

Oh, hahaha, sure! But I'll just keep an eye on things in there, from time to time, in case you change your mind, um, so, good-bye!

We also leave Dusa with some last requests before we start our next run.

It takes a while for a god to show up, but this time it's grandma. Grandma is a little edgy, something's probably bothering her.

Artemis must be having a rough time with the world frozen over and all that.

Feeling's mutual, sir. Someday you'll have to tell me all about how you tricked Father. I might learn a thing or two.

We haven't seen Sisyphus in a bit, but he's still out here giving us all his support. What a great guy. I assume the boulder agrees too.

You think he'd pick up the telephone once in a while, geeze.

Exiting Tartarus my nemesis shows up once again.

You seem to have me all figured out. And here I thought we were still getting to know each other.
Tsch. Well. You know what I want? Here, I'll show you.

She wants TO DIE.

Easy peasy.

The climb through Asphodel isn't much to write home about, but Demeter pops up again and I decided to give her a gift:

It does pretty much what all the other Olympian keepsakes do, nothing to write home about.

Another diamond for the pile, another dead hydra.

We encounter something new in Elysium this time. Someone is doing some serious lamenting in this room.

I'm just passing through. You seem less warlike than the rest. May I ask your name, sir? I'm Zagreus.
Names are there to be forgotten, stranger. You shouldn't be here. May the Fate favor your journey. But just in case they don't, here. Why don't you take this?

Like the other friendly NPCs Zag finds when escaping, this shade offers a set of books:

Kiss of Styx Premium: Replenish all uses of Death Defiance.
HydraLite Gold: Restore 30% Health when you enter a chamber.
Cyclops Jerky Select: Your Attack deals +60% damage.

Theses are all fantastic and Kiss of Styx Premium has saved many a run of mine from failure. The other two aren't bad, especially considering if you're far enough in you could take them all the way to the boss room.

Anyway, once we get out boon we leave our sad friend and continue on to face the champions. We'll be seeing more of this shade later, as you'd expect.

Best not belittle him, king. He is more powerful than he appears. We must remain alert, this time.
Oh, I am perfectly alert right now, Asterius! And were I still alive, I would be positively salivating at the thought of running through this pustule with my spear, or whicher means I had available. Now, let's go!

I was talking poo poo on these guys earlier so of course they kill me.

Back at the house Hypnos has his usual words of encouragement???

Really...? I mean, oh wait, you're not serious. That famous sense of humor shining through.
I jest, of course, you'll never make it out; as I keep telling you to no avail. But you've gone farther han expected. So, who knows...

As does dad.

Nobody else is really around, so there's only one thing left to do:

At least Zeus is helping me.

No starting god this time, just a hammer.

Ares is first up eventually. He really should give Zag more credit for murdering all those rats.

I promise we'll at least get out of Tartarus. Maybe.

Poseidon will help. Apparently he has a better opinion of Artemis than she has of him.

Meg's our boss this time, and doesn't put up much of a fight.

Once out of Tartarus we run into a lot of friends, starting with Eurydice.

Well, it's just, I think I wanted to tell you more of Orhpeus, since...he's court musician in my father's house. Calls you his muse. Says he misses you terribly. I...thought you should know.
Orpheus said all that, huh. Tell you what, the next time you run into him, you ask him about the time that he came all this way to try and ave me, even though I was already dead. Can you guess how that turned out?
Erm...yes, I do believe I can. Look, I didn't mean to upset you.
Yeah, well, neither did he! But you know what? Actions beat intentions, hon. Now, here, how about a treat and you can be on your way.

Maybe not the best thing to bring up, Zag.

The run through Asphodel isn't much to write home about, and Elysium awaits. Before we go though, we need to take a look at one of the entries in our codex.

That mysterious, sad shade we met before? The way to learn his name and interact with him is by getting it from the codex. The codex that is, reminder, written by Achilles. Once we do that the conversation goes a little like this:

What's the use? Let's say we fought, if anybody asks. Now, go. I've no quarrel with you, besides. I'll just remain here, comfortably a rest, for some untold millennia, I guess. Have a nice...whatever time it is.

We might as well give the poor man a drink since we're here.

Ahh, so you are taking pity on me, then? Well, I've no pride like so many others here, so I shall take it. Though, let's make it a fair exchange, shall we?

I've never found this one too useful, but it gives you a little invulnerability time after you get hit. The problem with it is, of course, that you shouldn't be getting hit in the first place.

Sadly, the run doesn't last much longer.

Next time, though, we're taking a new weapon and getting out of here.

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 30, 2021

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Demeter's probably my third-favorite character, after Cerberus and Dusa. Also somebody mentioned Demeter looks like Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development and I CAN'T UNSEE IT

Gameplay-wise chill is my favorite status effect, her call is bonkers, and her cast can be decent or just plain ludicrous when paired with another of her boons.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

There's a couple typos and I think one missing letter at one point you might want to fix.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Once I met Patroclus and realised who he was, I no longer cared about the actual goal of the game, the only thing I cared about was talking to him and Achilles. "Reaching the surface", bah. Bring me the tragic gays!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Demeter's cast is very powerful, in fact it's probably one of the strongest casts in the game, but you gotta be alright with playing bait for it and as Bellmaker said it's kind of reliant on other Demeter boons or pom-stacking. But if everything lines up properly, you can kill the final boss effortlessly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Broken Spearpoint is also the generic keepsake of choice for most people in Styx. As it nullifies the lovely poison and Hades Lasers.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is it wrong that I took ONE look at Pat, recognized him on sight, then didn't bother opening his entry in his codex for a while because I never realized he didn't actually give Z his name?
And by a while I think I didn't check it until I actually got his name by other means, I'm reasonably sure there's a failsafe for people like me that seldom check the codex.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Broken Spearpoint is also the generic keepsake of choice for most people in Styx. As it nullifies the lovely poison and Hades Lasers.

:same:

The spearpoint helps deal with the biggest threats in Styx, that being poison and lasers. poo poo happens and poo poo does soften the blow, but obviously as one progresses and depending on skill level, the keepsake can get less or more utility

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

With Persephone back on the surface, shouldn't it be eternal summer?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
I confess I never even considered the Spear Tip for Styx. Mostly because I latched on to the Spiked Collar pretty hard from day one. More HP = more good, said my brain.

The Lone Badger posted:

With Persephone back on the surface, shouldn't it be eternal summer?
Not quite. We'll be figuring out why that is pretty soon, though.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Grandma is good. Her boons are mostly pretty lackluster, though.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Grandma has Seen Some poo poo, and has little patience for the bullshit that flows down from Olympus, which puts her in contention for Best Character.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Party Bug posted:

I...I'll see to it this contraband is put away at once. Now, take your finger's fee and go about your business.

(Italics mine)

I think that's supposed to be "finder's fee".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Party Bug posted:

I confess I never even considered the Spear Tip for Styx. Mostly because I latched on to the Spiked Collar pretty hard from day one. More HP = more good, said my brain.

Not quite. We'll be figuring out why that is pretty soon, though.

Your brain isn't necessarily wrong, but with the way the Styx poison works Broken Spearpoint can actually nullify all the damage you would take from it by letting you get hit and then just dash to the poison cure whilst the invincibility remains, so in terms of effective HP it's probably more than the collar. Similar thing with getting safe from Hades Lasers or the Snakestone lasers.

I personally think chill is one of the, if not the, best debuffs in the game. It lasts forever and the way it slows stacks, it makes several very dangerous enemies into much more manageable situations, it slows bosses which is also an incredible thing (just not for very much).

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Nowadays I like to go for Aphrodite or Dionysus for my primary damage-dealing (attack/special, depending on the weapon and hammers), but I'll absolutely roll with Demeter if I get her. Her cast is weird, and a little hard to use at base, but very effective when you get used to it. Chill makes a lot of fights - particularly Hades - a good bit easier; one of her other support boons will absolutely bleed bosses dry if you can get it once you have a source of chill. She also has some vicious duo boons.

I'm not sure I'd call Demeter the best or most varied set of boons necessarily, but unless you're unwilling to use her cast at all she's only got one, maybe two (depending on when you get it) boons that I wouldn't be pretty happy to take.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Time to go.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
That was a really cool ending to what I presume will be the first of many full runs.

A few things occur to me upon watching.

If I'd know that there was only one level after Elysium I might have forced myself to power through. I'd always assumed there were 5 levels and part of what got me so down was believing that I had another 8 hours of play on my hands.

Second, did they tone down Theseus at some point? I swear when I fought him he was doing 180 pivots almost instantly.

And finally, I honestly think having watched all of this, that the plot isn't so intrinsically tied to the genre of the game. I think there's easily a version of this game with save points along the way that could have existed. Not to say that it should have but just as an observation more than anything else.

Oh also that the comments after my chat about how I felt about the game at Elysium are honestly to god things I read every so often when I get down about a game and are really helpful sometimes.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 7, 2021

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Congratulations on the escape! That's way earlier than I managed it.

I dunno if the fists are my favorite weapon, but they're pretty far up there.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Pretty sure that the Fists led to my first successful run, and they remained one of my favorites for the rest of the game.

Also, the fact that Grandma used to rock the Fists of Malphon is one of the reasons she's so awesome.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

AltaBrown posted:

Pretty sure that the Fists led to my first successful run, and they remained one of my favorites for the rest of the game.

Also, the fact that Grandma used to rock the Fists of Malphon is one of the reasons she's so awesome.

Frosty Fist Grandma is great, but I get a certain humor out of the users of the final weapon.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Can't believe you just left Skelly hanging there untalked to again

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

A part of me wishes that Zag's shade fanclub in the arena grew for every time you beat Theseus.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

You missed a tinted rock lol.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Veloxyll posted:

Can't believe you just left Skelly hanging there untalked to again

Skelly is for beating up only. That's the way he likes it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I still continue to suck at this game. At least I'm sucking less at it and able to get to Theseus somewhat consistently and managing to leave it up to a coin flip if I get past them.

At least now darkness seems to be reasonably plentiful, but all other currencies are too scarce.

e: I finally finished 2 runs. it took God mode and like 12 failed attempts but it happened.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 22, 2021

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Was there no escape?

No. Wait, what? I vanquished you in single combat and finally found Mother, and that's all you have to say to me?
Hah, haha! Nonsense. Don't you think I would recall such an event?
You can't be serious. You're going to pretend as though it never happened? She wants answers, same as I do. She demands you let me pass! Let me go to her again.
Silence! This discussion is over. I hardly think this is the time or place to indulge your overwrought imagination.
I know where we can continue this discussion, then...

Hope you didn't think dad was going to start being reasonable about this.

You really made it all the way? You must have...gotten past your father, that's amazing, lad. But, wait, what was she like, what happened to you there?
She was...she was great! Nothing like Father, more like...you, a little bit, I guess! Though, being on on the surface, it just seemed to suck the life right out of me. Even without the wretches of the Underworld trying to do me in.
But the, you had a little time at least. Sounds like you have unfinished business with her, there. You got to her this once...surely you're able to again, isn't that right?
It is. I have to speak with her.

Achilles is a bit happier for us. This was just the first of many escapes, to be sure.

Anyway enough about mom, did I tell you how great I am?

My, that is wonderful to hear, my friend! Another in a litany of such heroic deeds, more noble than the heroes of our verse, and even great Achilles over there!
I'm glad you think so, mate! These tales of my valorus accomplishments do seem to cheer you up, so, I will keep reporting back once I rack up some more.

I did, I...she was there. She was...where you said she'd be. And, more than I imagined, but...I had so little time with her. I can't survive up there for very long. Why didn't you tell me I'd just die, no matter what?
Oh, my child...I say this seldomly, but...I did not know. Or...I did not wish to believe...that the surface would have such an effect on you. But it seems you share your father's fate, after all.
My father's fate? But he was smugly waiting for me up there, and seemed quite healthy, all in all! Though...maybe the farther we get from this realm...the worse we get. Because he cast his lot...inheriting the Underworld?
So I now presume. You are bound to this realm by powers greater even than mine. Tell me something...if you knew that you could only see Persephone for but a moment's time...would you still make the journey to her, there?
...Yes. Yes, I would. I had so many questions left for her!
Then, go and ask them, child. Steady your resolve, and find her there, again. And use well what brief time you have with one another, whilst you can. As mortals do.
As mortals do...

Nyx gives us some more words of encouragement.

Come on Meg, Father had it coming for some time. What's your concern, besides? The House is safe.
He's not going to take this lying down. He'll find some way to take it out on you. On all of us. You watch yourself, or all of us will pay.
I will not let that happen.

Leave it to Meg to bring us down. Maybe Dusa'll be proud of us, though.

Oh! A drink sometime sounds wonderful, Dusa, maybe tomorrow assuming I'm not getting out of here by then...?
Whaa, I mean, it's no big deal, I mean, forget I asked, or anything, I'm sorry, bye!

Just Dusa things happening over here. That's everyone in the House, now it's about time to unlock some more Mirror talents.

For a whopping 20 keys we get access to the real good stuff:

Privileged Status: Each rank gives you +20% damage vs. foes afflicted by at least two Status Curse effects.
Olympian Favor: Each rank adds a 1% bonus chance for a Boon to be Rare.

Both of these are fantastic abilities. Priviledged Status is a huge boost to damage output and almost gaurnteed to happen in every run, and Olympian Favor makes it more likely you'll get more potent boons during a run.

I dumped as much darkness as I could into both of these, now it's time to see what's up in the courtyard. Something is a little different with the exit...

Pal, I don't know a thing about it, honest! I was just minding my own business, when all of a sudden, wham! I get hit right in the back. I fall to pieces, no idea what's going on! What I finally come to, the window job was done...!
As likely an explenation as any I guess.

He's got a gun!!!

Also there's a couple instances of video stutteing in this update, sorry about that. Also as you might guess, for a little while the format is going to be screenshot + video updates. That might change after the main story is completed.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Rail is one of my favorite weapons, or at least it has my favorite specials when you get it into a missile launcher or larger mortar round with friendly fire turned on. And Demeter's Beam attack my favorite spell.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 28, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Beam attack looks quite good for two reasons: one for when you get enemies that you can bait into running into the beam or otherwise not escaping it plus bosses that have periods where they stand in place (and when you have tight quarters as in the last area where enemies aren't really going to dodge anyway); two you get the casts back at the end of the beaming period, unlike every other cast where you have to kill the enemy you shot first if the cast wasn't strong enough to do it by itself. It's maybe not OP good but I'd probably think of it as solid vs. the other types of casts which are kinda one-and-done if they're not taking out popcorn or doing something else for me besides pure damage.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite plan with BEAMS is to set up a cross fire so some certain champions who hide behind their shield can't block.

Or just drop them all on the ground in front of the hydra and get free hits.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Welcome back to the House of Hades.

Probably!
I forgot Hypnos wasn't around last time we escaped. He probably shouldn't be this clueless about natural causes, being the doorman for the underworld and all...

Up ahead it looks like Orpheus is in trouble again.

Well, Orpheus...if you're quite finished with your little stint within the depths of Tartarus, I'd like to ask again: Play us a song, already. Or else next time I'll not be quite so charitable with your punishment.
Oh, that. I must apologize, again, Lord Hades sir. for I'm afraid that I've no wish to sing as yet. In spite of your persuasiveness even. And, that, um, is my final word upon the subject. At this time.
Is that so...? Why, then, I'll go ahead and wait. I've all the patience in the world.

Play freebird.

We didn't get to talk to the dog last time either!

I found her again, sir, and...we were able to talk some more. But, I have so many questions left for her, and Father's certainly not been of any help...
Well, first of all, good work. I knew you had it in you. Secondly...you know what you have to do. Go find her, for as many chances as it takes. It's not just her you've sought...it's the answers to those questions you have.
Yes. I will.

Just got to kill dad a few more times, no problem.

Dusa, please, there's no need to apologize! You've been doing a wonderful job, really!
I...what? You really mean it, Prince, I...thank you, thanks so much!!

Into the rafters she goes.

I decided to unlock the last two talents in the mirror:

- Gods' Pride: Each rank adds a 1% bonus chance for a Boon to be Epic. 20
- Fated Authority: Each rank gives you 1 die, used to randomly alter the reward for the next chamber.

Obviously both are pretty good, with Gods' Pride being the highlight. I also improved some of the other talents, we're getting pretty strong now.

Calm down, Skelly. I'm sure whatever it is is perfectly normal for a legendary semi-sentient Titan-slaying weapon from the dawn of time.
That's just it! Those weapons of yours, they have seen some real business, pal. You're giving them a real workout, so maybe they're starting to like you or something? Loosening up a bit, you know? Like you and me!

This is important!

We now have access to weapon aspects.

All weapons have 4 aspects, one being the default. They provide different special abilities and put a small twist on combat, and all of them can be leveled up to be more effective. Right now we don't have access to the 4th aspect of any weapon, but we'll gain those over the course of runs.

I'll be demonstrating one of the aspects for Malphon...right now.

Return of the #1 blade rift fan.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

“Escapse”?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

gently caress yes Aspect of Talos, it allows me to button mash my way through with Attack/Special/Dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Today's Awkward Zombie is about Update 11.