Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was really excited for John at a Bills tailgate but nobody got put through a table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

This weird little show needs to stop making me cry.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The most recent episode sent me into a pretty awful downward spiral. It feels like John's life is falling apart and unsustainable. I'll miss the show but I hope whatever he does next is a lot less stressful for him.

I'm kinda pissed that he took the completely wrong lesson from his father regarding planning. Going to things but they end up closed means you need to plan better, not live life completely spontaneous. John keeps doing what his dad did, going through life thinking it'll work out and constantly meeting disappointment.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
John Wilson is a unique man because he is deeply empathetic but in a sort of evil, twisted way

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mutantIke posted:

John Wilson is a unique man because he is deeply empathetic but in a sort of evil, twisted way

Ha, well put.

The direction that sports illustrated story went in :eyepop:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Holy moly, what a big vacuum!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

KPC_Mammon posted:

The most recent episode sent me into a pretty awful downward spiral. It feels like John's life is falling apart and unsustainable. I'll miss the show but I hope whatever he does next is a lot less stressful for him.

I'm kinda pissed that he took the completely wrong lesson from his father regarding planning. Going to things but they end up closed means you need to plan better, not live life completely spontaneous. John keeps doing what his dad did, going through life thinking it'll work out and constantly meeting disappointment.

Gotta say I feel like you are reading too much into the bits and pieces of John’s life that he shares with us!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh man that episode has me feeling some kind of way. What a strange, sad, beautiful coming out story.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did I miss an episode? Last one I saw was the 911 gym trainer one...is that what's making people sad?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did I miss an episode? Last one I saw was the 911 gym trainer one...is that what's making people sad?

Yes you did. They come out on Friday nights.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh man that episode has me feeling some kind of way. What a strange, sad, beautiful coming out story.

I didn't post this earlier because I thought I'd be told I was reading too much into things (lol) but yeah, it's this. I can't help but feel like he's awkwardly hiding behind the camera watching everyone else because he's never let himself be who he really is.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
This episode to me felt like his “coming out” episode, as much as he can in his weird way. Whether that’s as gay, bi, queer, or simply just revealing this part of his past that he had hidden and been ashamed of. Idk I see it as beautiful.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

loving lost it at the giant Hoover power up sound. Also, "So that's my murder-suicide vacuum."

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Bummed we only get 2 more eps of this show, forever. I'll miss it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KPC_Mammon posted:

I didn't post this earlier because I thought I'd be told I was reading too much into things (lol) but yeah, it's this. I can't help but feel like he's awkwardly hiding behind the camera watching everyone else because he's never let himself be who he really is.

It's definitely a coming-out story but the John Wilson in this show is still a character, not an unvarnished or unexaggerated glimpse at the real Wilson. We don't know what the real Wilson's private romantic life is like; even if this is a mass media coming-out that doesn't mean the real Wilson has been suffering in the closet for 30 years.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

zer0spunk posted:

Bummed we only get 2 more eps of this show, forever. I'll miss it.

Wait, what? Do we know there is definitely not going to be another season?

And regarding John's real life, I think it's pointless to try to understand John himself because I'm sure he's playing a character with a lot being made up or changed. Even if it's very much inspired by his real life it'd be presumptious to think I know anything about him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiminewt posted:

And regarding John's real life, I think it's pointless to try to understand John himself because I'm sure he's playing a character with a lot being made up or changed. Even if it's very much inspired by his real life it'd be presumptious to think I know anything about him.

They announced this would be the last one a few months ago. It’s probably a huge undertaking to make this and John wants to do other projects.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

kiminewt posted:

Yeah it was confirmed before this season.

I'm gonna miss it :(

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Haven’t seen episode 4 yet.
We take our time and rewind parts as there’s so much you can miss even not watching for 10 seconds.
Thanks to Wilson I now know goons are people who masturbate for hours without cumming. (How did he get that guy to go on camera in between picking up work phone calls)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Am I misremembering or was there an old Seinfeld episode where Jerry says that the non verbal signal to someone that someone else is gay should be pantomimed vacuuming?

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Another Bill posted:

Am I misremembering or was there an old Seinfeld episode where Jerry says that the non verbal signal to someone that someone else is gay should be pantomimed vacuuming?

That was the end bit of The Outing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I like how well the episode implies but never states that the interest in vaccum's probably starts with a desire to get head, but then subverts that assumption.

Beautiful episode. Bold in how nonchalant he mentions his middle school experience. iirc, he's mentioned ex girlfriends in multiple episodes, so hard to know if it's really a coming out thing, particularly because it doesn't overplay any of that -- but it sits well regardless.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In season 2 we actually see the girlfriend that he presumably broke up with before this season.

Also giving your kid a swimsuit issue and causing them to an Y Tu Mama Tambien speedrun is hilarious no matter what.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 22, 2023

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Bruce Beveridge

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

RIP

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Fun idea but a relatively weak episode IMO, maybe just because the others have been so good this season.
Solid lol at "And that's a... pigeon" though.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Seems like this one was deeply personal to him. The end took a little while to get to the natural punchline but I still enjoyed it a whole lot. The most Fielder-y the show has been

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I appreciated the meta look at his own work

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I appreciated the meta look at his own work
I was definitely expecting some fielder-esque meta stuff at the end of the series. Makes me excited for the final episode next week.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

This episode was great but overall very surreal as I've been to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg several times in my life. Even ate at the Flapjacks restaurant he blew up Bruce's car at.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

The episode seemed a bit weak but I think that was the point. Yes, John can fake a set if he wants to, but humans are weird enough that you don’t need to write a dramatic script to have entertaining content.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

He got a cop to pretty much admit he's planted evidence before lol

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The Ship Fantastic

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

wonder if we’re gonna get a Ron Howard cameo in the finale after the Frost/Nixon bit last week and John googling his net worth this week

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Lister posted:

He got a cop to pretty much admit he's planted evidence before lol

Yeah, that was pretty wild.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For fun…

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanic/co...nt=1&utm_term=1

The Reddit post John made

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanic/co...nt=1&utm_term=1

The sub reading to it being featured on the show and virtually nobody getting it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Well that sure was a goodbye!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Binged the season over this week. The vacuum episode is genuinely one of my favorite episodes of TV ever. I want to hug all of those men. Kinda.

The finale was pretty nuts. I wonder what possesses people to open up their deepest secrets to this squirrely dork.

The weakest episode was the penultimate one and I almost wish he didn’t do it because the naturalism was a big part of this show working and they destabilized it… for what? The staged stuff didn’t have much to say. Leave that poo poo to Fielder. This show is on a different lane.

FYI as a love letter to New York the essential pairing to this show is HIGH MAINTENANCE, also on HBO and also just ended its run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Oh poo poo for some reason I had thought that last week's episode was the final one, what a pleasant surprise!
What a great little show it has been, sad to see it go.

Vegetable posted:

I wonder what possesses people to open up their deepest secrets to this squirrely dork.
A question for the ages!