Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm starting to dream about a left-leaning investment fund that engages in some kind of passive or socially responsible investing and then uses the funds to support candidates who want good things and not just capitalist donor pet projects.

The contradictions of capitalism and all the other familiar demons means this is probably a really problematic idea that you'll all go HAM on, but it just seems like you need something like this if it doesn't already exist.

You seem to be describing an ideologically driven charity, and I agree 100% with it. The left has always gained popular support by providing necessities to those without. Mao was famous for preventing evictions by liberating property from landlords and giving it to tenants.

Morality aside, if you are talking about investing in the stock market, the problem with that is it takes a tremendous amount of untouchable capital that just has to sit around garnering slivers of a % in profit. This is fine if you have billions sitting around, but the left necessarily has far fewer resources than it's opponents. Any leftist movement is going to have to work with the only resource that workers have to spend: labor. Both in the forms of unions and the ability to build their own resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm starting to dream about a left-leaning investment fund that engages in some kind of passive or socially responsible investing and then uses the funds to support candidates who want good things and not just capitalist donor pet projects.

The contradictions of capitalism and all the other familiar demons means this is probably a really problematic idea that you'll all go HAM on, but it just seems like you need something like this if it doesn't already exist.

The problem with trying to do election funding for progressive candidates with investment dividends (which is basically what you're describing) is that a) you need a huge pile of investment capital relative to the good you do with the dividend, which means you're reinforcing the capitalist mode and then using a little bit of the squeezings to "support candidates" which is itself not really a goal that helps people; and b) managing that pile of investment resources under our legal system is going to require a philanthropic foundation or similar organization and Full Yikes to the idea that won't be riddled with PMC types looking to enrich themselves off of the dividend just like every single other organization of this type.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You seem to be describing an ideologically driven charity, and I agree 100% with it.

It's not that if the purpose of the money is to get people elected. It's just another rube goldberg machine whose wheels and pistons whir and clank but the ultimate outcome is just the same "vote blue" advertising money as we already have.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

It's not that if the purpose of the money is to get people elected. It's just another rube goldberg machine whose wheels and pistons whir and clank but the ultimate outcome is just the same "vote blue" advertising money as we already have.

See, I was more imagining a charity-style political party that also ran political candidates under BOTH party primaries.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

See, I was more imagining a charity-style political party that also ran political candidates under BOTH party primaries.

I think if the goal is to build a political party whose primary means of action is direct mutual aid and secondary means of action is electoralism, that's a very different animal than an investment fund that helps elect progressives.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Cpt_Obvious posted:

At a certain point, we are going to need to define what "progressive" means in such a way as it qualifies some things and disqualifies other. As it stands, "progressive" implies progress towards a goal, but that goal has never been identified.

I think the desire to create strict definitions and then exclude people who fall ever so just out of them is an issue on the left. I'm very content that progressivism is more of an amorphous cloud of diverse people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When that amorphousness primarily functions to allow rich chancers to surf by on the cloud of vague positivity and then turn around and say "oh you idiot I never specified that I was going to anything" it is, perhaps, a bit of a weakness.

You can clearly still use it, of course, but it does mean that it isn't really meaningful, it's just a feeling people have.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

When that amorphousness primarily functions to allow rich chancers to surf by on the cloud of vague positivity and then turn around and say "oh you idiot I never specified that I was going to anything" it is, perhaps, a bit of a weakness.

You can clearly still use it, of course, but it does mean that it isn't really meaningful, it's just a feeling people have.

I dont think so. The progressive movement is growing in a way that I find extremely positive and hopeful. We are headed the right direction and I'm not going to quibble as much over the details.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In order for it to achieve anything, though, at some point it is going to have to coalesce into some, or multiple, thing(s) more concrete.

A cloud of good feelings that does not contain a hammer to force through change is the obama campaign, or the biden campaign. It leaves its supporters no better off and they either become disillusioned or look for something harder.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

In order for it to achieve anything, though, at some point it is going to have to coalesce into some, or multiple, thing(s) more concrete.

A cloud of good feelings that does not contain a hammer to force through change is the obama campaign, or the biden campaign. It leaves its supporters no better off and they either become disillusioned or look for something harder.

Medicare for All, UBI, free education k-uni, etc. That's all stuff that Progressives want and are working towards. I'm happy to work out the details when, you know, we have a government that is at the point where those policies are being written up in Congress.

No need to work hard to find splits and fractures before then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The point I and others are making is that you are not likely to get to that point without honing down the label.

If politicians can self identify as "progressive" without supporting those things and win elections that way then, functionally, it does not mean that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

The point I and others are making is that you are not likely to get to that point without honing down the label.

If politicians can self identify as "progressive" without supporting those things and win elections that way then, functionally, it does not mean that.

Bernie and the Progressive Congress critters like the squad members are running on those issues and winning elections without narrowing down the definition of their cause with laser-like precision. They're running on broad, broadly understood platforms of social and economic justice. That's Progressivism. It's also the politics of my generation (and yours, assuming you're a millenial like me) and those that follow us.

It's up to the voters to decide whether a politician who claims to be progressive is actually so. Voters are people and they have agency.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Voters only decide who they are voting for and we know that there are other concerns than who is "progressive", so that is transparently nonsensical

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And the process of voters deciding what "actually is" progressivism is the process of narrowing the label. If such a thing is to occur at all.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

And the process of voters deciding what "actually is" progressivism is the process of narrowing the label. If such a thing is to occur at all.

Ok, great! If voters do it by default then why should we start narrowing the label right here in this thread?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This entire notion that voters determine who is and who is not "progressive" is bunk. Biden is not progressive because he won, anymore than Trump is

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because I suspect most of us are voters and the process of talking about politics is a signficant component of how people establish their views...

Like are you operating under the assumption that this is like the supreme command for politics or something rather than a bunch of people just talking about it?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'd never say that Biden is a Progressive. He's a Democratic Party institutionalist through and through, as far as I can tell. I hope that the fact that the Democratic Party has moved left over the last 20 years will influence his policy making decisions. And activists in the streets.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How are u posted:

I'd never say that Biden is a Progressive. He's a Democratic Party institutionalist through and through, as far as I can tell. I hope that the fact that the Democratic Party has moved left over the last 20 years will influence his policy making decisions. And activists in the streets.

Who are you to gate-keep who is progressive? Weren't you just saying that no one has the right to decide what progressive means?

Eric Cantonese posted:

I apologize for asking this in multiple threads, but who are the big progressive SuperPACs? Are there any?

As much as particular individual candidates can sometimes overcome funding barriers, it seems to take so much funding to do the canvassing, ads and social media outreach necessary to cut through against opposition attacks and media noise to help a candidate define himself or herself instead of letting external parties do the defining.

It takes so much time and money to run for office, which is why wealthy donors and gatekeeping organizations like the DCCC and the DSCC have so much influence over how candidates position themselves. If there were some decently sized funds more left wing than, say, George Soros, willing to help candidates get off the ground and make themselves visible, I'd like to think that would really help things a lot. Recent years seems to have established that the DNC and mainstream Democratic apparatus is overcentralized and varies between incompetent and corrupt (if not being both at the same time), so I think you need funding alternatives so progressive candidates aren't coming in with box cutters while the other side has M16s.

I think that money can be somewhat useful for some low-level races, but that it will never be a solution for actually achieving significant power (since the left will always lose that game).

There's also a pretty big problem with large self-defined "progressive" political organizations with significant money involved with them tending to become infested with PMC ladder-climber types (as The Oldest Man mentioned). The Bernie campaign was also victim to this.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How are u posted:

Ok, and what politically disqualifies him from being a "progressive" as opposed to, say, Bernie which I assume we can all agree would be included in your loose definition? is it M4A? Is it the GND? Those are coherent political goal towards which we can "progress". And let's not forget, they are very anti-capitalist stances. M4A is adversarial to the private insurance apparatus, just like GND is adversarial to the fossil fuel industry. Both of these privately owned industries dangerously exploit profit from the public and cause a massive amount of damage to the economy and our environment.

Ytlaya posted:

Who are you to gate-keep who is progressive? Weren't you just saying that no one has the right to decide what progressive means?

This is an excellent point. Without proper definitions, Biden cannot be excluded from the label "progressive", nor can Diane Feinstein and her ilk. Hell, if you really want to push the envelope we could include Donald Trump!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This is an excellent point. Without proper definitions, Biden cannot be excluded from the label "progressive", nor can Diane Feinstein and her ilk. Hell, if you really want to push the envelope we could include Donald Trump!

Josh Hawley is campaigning for stimulus checks with Bernie Sanders. Sounds pretty progressive to me.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Donald J. Trump single-handedly killed the Trans-Pacific Partnership deal. All hail the most progressive president of the last 30 years.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ytlaya posted:

I think that money can be somewhat useful for some low-level races, but that it will never be a solution for actually achieving significant power (since the left will always lose that game).

I know some people who I thought would have been great candidates who just could not get the funds to run and could not get outside support. They didn't come from money and they couldn't just quit their jobs to chase a primary against opponents who already had DCCC or other established party connections.

I agree that money does not solve things on its own, but it's a lot easier to pull off an underdog victory if they aren't fighting with nothing. For me, it's helping worthy candidates and campaigns get started and stay in the fight.

And as you point out, with state level and city level races, we're talking situations where 4-5 figure amounts could be big game changers.

quote:

There's also a pretty big problem with large self-defined "progressive" political organizations with significant money involved with them tending to become infested with PMC ladder-climber types (as The Oldest Man mentioned). The Bernie campaign was also victim to this.

Are there any articles on this? I'd like to learn more.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ok, and what politically disqualifies him from being a "progressive" as opposed to, say, Bernie which I assume we can all agree would be included in your loose definition? is it M4A? Is it the GND? Those are coherent political goal towards which we can "progress". And let's not forget, they are very anti-capitalist stances. M4A is adversarial to the private insurance apparatus, just like GND is adversarial to the fossil fuel industry. Both of these privately owned industries dangerously exploit profit from the public and cause a massive amount of damage to the economy and our environment.

A lot of self-described "progressives" dislike the idea of defining "progressive" in part because definitions require bright lines that they will completely agree with up until the point where they realise their definition excludes them.

It's one of the reasons that you find so many folks on this forum complaining vaguely in the direction of someone else having a "specific definition of leftism" that excludes them, but those same folks will never offer up an actual definition and seem much happier with the idea of leftism being a vague badge that you can put on if you've ever disagreed with the Republican Party. This is ignoring the fact that the different strains of leftism have their differences for real, justifiable and explainable reasons.

It's much easier to say "I've been told that I'm not a real leftist so I guess I'm just a liberal now" than it is to engage with the folks who probably just said "that's not a particularly leftist stance" about one argument once.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

KVeezy3 posted:

Donald J. Trump single-handedly killed the Trans-Pacific Partnership deal. All hail the most progressive president of the last 30 years.

Couldn’t you just replace progressive with leftist and this satire would be just as valid?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Couldn’t you just replace progressive with leftist and this satire would be just as valid?

No because leftists have an ideology by which you can judge whether a person's positions and actions fit. Like you could call Josh Hawley a communist and go "ha ha same thing" but communism has a pretty specific policy agenda and he's not in favor of any of it. "Progressive," being a factional label without ideological underpinnings, has no such guard rails. Just because there's different flavors of "left" doesn't mean any of them are as content-free as "progressive;" that's more or less what divides leftists from progressives.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
As it stands there is no way to not be "progressive." There is no set of circumstances under which someone can meaningfully fail the test of being a "progressive" because the test is "did you ever say you are a progressive?" and passing that test means saying, at any point in time, "I am a progressive" or words to that effect. The policy you support or oppose does not actually matter because being a progressive is not a matter of policy or outcomes, it is a matter of sacred words.

Tulsi Gabbard is one of the "progressive" folks and she just sponsored an extremely, explicitly, anti-trans piece of legislation. Does she still get to call herself a "progressive?" Yes. Because the term has no boundaries, no definition, and no requirements of those who use it. She said she was progressive, so she is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Somfin posted:

the test is "did you ever say you are a progressive?"

Somfin posted:

"I am a progressive"

Welcome to the Democratic party :v:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Welcome to the Democratic party :v:

Exactly what I'm saying.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Somfin posted:

As it stands there is no way to not be "progressive." There is no set of circumstances under which someone can meaningfully fail the test of being a "progressive" because the test is "did you ever say you are a progressive?" and passing that test means saying, at any point in time, "I am a progressive" or words to that effect. The policy you support or oppose does not actually matter because being a progressive is not a matter of policy or outcomes, it is a matter of sacred words.

Tulsi Gabbard is one of the "progressive" folks and she just sponsored an extremely, explicitly, anti-trans piece of legislation. Does she still get to call herself a "progressive?" Yes. Because the term has no boundaries, no definition, and no requirements of those who use it. She said she was progressive, so she is.

Well, it depends upon what your goal is. If your goal is "to feel good and optimistic about politics," then it suits you pretty well to believe that the Democratic Party is full of progressive politicians.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Progressive means you want society to progress towards gay space communism.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

doverhog posted:

Progressive means you want society to progress towards gay space communism.

Trump started Space Force, so Trump is the most progressive.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Well, it depends upon what your goal is. If your goal is "to feel good and optimistic about politics," then it suits you pretty well to believe that the Democratic Party is full of progressive politicians.

This is actually a timely take for this stupid m4a floor vote drama and all the progressives putting Jimmy Dore on blast because he won't shut up about holding progressive pols accountable via hardline refusal to support the Dems' regular order of business if they don't advance progressive policy positions. If you just want to feel like good things are happening and a warm empty optimism, the exercise of power (that is, holding Nancy Pelosi's speakership hostage to achieve an objective like forcing the Dems on record with an m4a vote) is the opposite of what you want. It's incredibly easy to just sit back, relax, and watch nothing happen for literal decades as society rots out if you don't actually believe in anything other than the nebulous idea that things should be better somehow (but not if that means inconveniencing or annoying the people who are actively working to make them worse).

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

This is actually a timely take for this stupid m4a floor vote drama and all the progressives putting Jimmy Dore on blast because he won't shut up about holding progressive pols accountable via hardline refusal to support the Dems' regular order of business if they don't advance progressive policy positions. If you just want to feel like good things are happening and a warm empty optimism, the exercise of power (that is, holding Nancy Pelosi's speakership hostage to achieve an objective like forcing the Dems on record with an m4a vote) is the opposite of what you want. It's incredibly easy to just sit back, relax, and watch nothing happen for literal decades as society rots out if you don't actually believe in anything other than the nebulous idea that things should be better somehow (but not if that means inconveniencing or annoying the people who are actively working to make them worse).

There is a certain brilliance to the angry old youtuber's idea:

Say it works, you force Nancy to make a vote, and the house doesn't pass it. Now you have forced everyone who opposes M4A into the open and they can get primaried.

Say it doesn't, Nancy refuses to make the vote and she doesn't get to be speaker. Congrats! You've just removed a major obstacle to passing M4A!

There is literally no downside to this move.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Say it works, you force Nancy to make a vote, and the house doesn't pass it. Now you have forced everyone who opposes M4A into the open and they can get primaried.

Say it doesn't, Nancy refuses to make the vote and she doesn't get to be speaker. Congrats! You've just removed a major obstacle to passing M4A!

Who are the nine other votes that are defecting with her to make this possible?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Who are the nine other votes that are defecting with her to make this possible?

Time for any of these 94 content free "progressives" to prove that they're worth a drat I guess!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Progressive_Caucus

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think that the most important thing here is unrelated to the MfA vote itself (which wouldn't happen even if AOC or others threatened to withhold support in exchange for it) but more the "loudly and openly talking about the fact that the Democratic Party is opposed to making these things happen." Basically making the conflict open and obvious instead of letting people have the illusion that it's even remotely possible to somehow finagle passing something like MfA with a Democratic Party that has leadership like Pelosi (and worse!). And there won't really be a better time to raise a fuss over MfA specifically than during this pandemic.

The perspective a lot of these progressive politicians and public figures have towards the Democratic Party isn't that unlike the perspective Biden has towards Republicans. They're opposed to "openly" conflicting with them or directly acknowledging that they're enemies. I don't know what the solution is to achieving many of the left's goals, but at the very least I know that it sure as hell won't involve cooperation with most of the Democratic Party, and the sooner people realize that the better. I understand the motive for continuing to beat this dead horse - it's a lot easier to be hopeful if you think that we're on a positive path and that if we just Keep Up The Work that we'll be able to pass legislation like MfA - but that will never happen. There are extremely strong motives for the few left-leaning people who manage to be elected to high office to cooperate with the rest of the Democratic Party in order to make their lives easier (I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of currently elected progressives wouldn't actually support MfA if there were a risk of it passing - see Sherrod Brown), and there will never be any turning point where suddenly all the Democratic politicians are voting for MfA.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Oldest Man posted:

Time for any of these 94 content free "progressives" to prove that they're worth a drat I guess!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Progressive_Caucus

I'm just saying the flowchart missed that step in it's projections.

Also haven't he already had m4a votes?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

If by "vote" you mean "pressure explicitly placed on the DNC platform committee to remove language relating to M4A so as to not force a publicly visible vote about it and potentially let people realise how the party faithful will never support it," then yes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

You're mistaking this for a test of Nancy Pelosi or the democrats writ large that requires progressive support as an input, I think. It's not. It's a test of these do-nothing progressives themselves and whether they ought to receive a single finger lifted in their support ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It is a purge. Let's see who is real and who is a poser. The left has a long history with it. Still might be a good idea.