Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or appeal to actual common sense, which is when was the last time the cops did anything for you? When was the last time they gave you hassle? Would you be happier with or without them?

Most people who aren't loving loaded aren't gonna have good experiences with the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reason it's not is because all the liberals want their point of view to be the only alternative, they don't want anything better.

You don't get to claim that you're doing everyone a favour by being in the way of much better alternatives.

And I hate to tell you but you're not doing so hot on being an alternative looking at the last few decades of your governance.

Every time you get near power you do sweet gently caress all and then when you inevitably poo poo the bed and hand the right power again all you ever come out with is "you have to vote for us again because otherwise they'll get in" as if your miserable excuse for governance has nothing to do with the fact you keep losing to them.

You are the ones making it worse, you squat atop the political desire for change like an overstuffed toad and do absolutely nothing with it, you perpetuate the wrongs that the right loves so much but you cringe and snivel while doing it as if that makes it better somehow, and then when you inevitably lose all you do is whine and whimper about how hard done by you are by the terrible left. You are nothing but one half of the same coin, they advance their cause and you defend it from those that would see it undone.

There is no creature on the face of the earth more pathetic than a liberal.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 7, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Read it again and engage your brain. The liberals are the ones who cover for the far right, you may take it as somehow axiomatic that they are not part of the problem but I do not. Read, and think. Or don't and keep up this facile idea that we just need another liberal government and somehow this time it will do something other than nothing while handing power back to the right in a few years. The right project functions because of those elements in equal parts, one of them pushes forward, the other neutralizes the response, and you are so very good at doing that.

For a political affiliation that so adores personal responsibility your kind are remarkably adept at ignoring responsibility for your failures in power. Something you absolutely have in common with your kindred across the aisle. I would respect you more if you acknowleded or even understood what it is you do. That is what is so pathetic, that you do not, you protest innocence, you claim you are doing us all a favour in your utter capitulation to the right.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 7, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving lol at the idea that anything more left than the liberals being "far left" and impossible. The idea that a government could do anything other than spin its wheels and wage war in the middle east! Utter fantasy!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is actually happening in front of our eyes is what makes a lot of us extremely hostile to the idea that liberals are interested in progressing anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose yes, I should have phrased that as "it doesn't matter how interested they are because we can plainly see that they do not achieve the results we require."

They say the same things constantly but it never translates into the needed effects, it is reasonable to conclude, then, that what they say has very little significance when the effects can be predicted so reliably. Whether they are sincere about what they say or not, it does not produce results.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 7, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When that amorphousness primarily functions to allow rich chancers to surf by on the cloud of vague positivity and then turn around and say "oh you idiot I never specified that I was going to anything" it is, perhaps, a bit of a weakness.

You can clearly still use it, of course, but it does mean that it isn't really meaningful, it's just a feeling people have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In order for it to achieve anything, though, at some point it is going to have to coalesce into some, or multiple, thing(s) more concrete.

A cloud of good feelings that does not contain a hammer to force through change is the obama campaign, or the biden campaign. It leaves its supporters no better off and they either become disillusioned or look for something harder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The point I and others are making is that you are not likely to get to that point without honing down the label.

If politicians can self identify as "progressive" without supporting those things and win elections that way then, functionally, it does not mean that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And the process of voters deciding what "actually is" progressivism is the process of narrowing the label. If such a thing is to occur at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because I suspect most of us are voters and the process of talking about politics is a signficant component of how people establish their views...

Like are you operating under the assumption that this is like the supreme command for politics or something rather than a bunch of people just talking about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends on whether you view it in isolation or in context of being an attempt to neuter the call for universal healthcare and entrench insurance driven healthcare as long as possible.