Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Third parties are mathematically non-viable in the US, so the only answer I can think of that makes any sense is to do exactly what AOC is doing, and the tea party did before to great success.

It's pretty simple:
1-Get a crap load of leftist candidates elected.
2-Take control of the narrative within the party by challenging the status quo.
3-Infiltrate and wear the democratic party like a skinsuit until your ideas are mainstream.

I've seen it work in multiple countries on both sides of the political spectrum. For example; the far right Reform party in Canada did this to the more moderate "Progressive Conservative" party with great success. As a result they had a lock on power for over a decade. They just had to muzzle their more extreme elements while implementing horrible regressive policies & burning decades of environmental research.(among other things)

The only real flaw in this plan, is that it usually takes a lot of time to come to fruition. With environmental disaster on the horizon leftists are going to have to work extra hard. The right in the US already has a huge head start.

It's a simple plan, but implementing it is a nightmare. I admire AOC, but i don't envy her.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah I'm not arguing that "I think we should improve society somewhat" is incoherent as a belief or, like, bad. I'm arguing that it's not sufficient to effect any change because it says nothing about the mechanism and scope of that change and almost anything that isn't obviously regressive psycho poo poo can be marketed as "improve society somewhat" and have some claim to truth, which makes the label useless as a tool for effecting change.

OK, let's try a practical example. Is eliminating the SALT cap a progressive policy position?

I'm not up on the details of this, but it's probably a good opportunity to loudly expose who is on this side of Capital and who is not.

From a populist standpoint, wouldn't this moment in American politics be the perfect time to push for electoral reform? It's frustrating how terrible Democrats are at messaging as well as taking advantage of political opportunities that are handed to them on a silver platter. Perhaps it's because the leadership is entirely composed of pant making GBS threads nosferatus?