Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i've bee following, i hope you keep posting!

out of curiosity, have you see the analogue pocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Thanks! Ah, yeah I remember hearing about this. Those guys are hardcore :stare:

Analog is known for implementing old game consoles completely in FPGA hardware. This is what I was referring to in the OP by "Tony stark level poo poo". I studied computer architecture in college and I always thought it would be fun to try see how much juice you could get out of a custom portable core/GPU. It's just uh... a lot of work and really hard though. :blush:

By the way, my only critique is that the Gameboy/Gameboy pocket form factor seems outdated and uncomfortable to me. I hope that's not sacrilege since their product is massively polished and clearly shows their nostalgia for the original gameboy. Team GBA ftw though :colbert:

I agree it’s cool and polished and I never want one. In that vein, though, panics play date is a similar form factor with the exception of the attractive crank and I’m super stoked for that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Huh, really? How come? I'm curious to know what the deal breaker is. Hardware emulation is supposed to be the tits.

I can appreciate all the hard work and effort that went into its design and construction, but to be entirely honest I really don't care about hardware emulation for my own needs. All the stuff I want to play will work fine in software emulation, for the most part. I bet it feels nice in the hand, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Trying to understand more specifically. Do you mean like the specialized hardware makes it too expensive/overkill for playing older games? Or the fact that you still need to lug around cartridges or old peripherals? I think hardware emulation theoretically should not lag at all, except in the instances where the original system itself lags. This is important for me, because when there's lag it really kills the mood imo.

Mostly the latter. I'm not the most organized person on the best of days, so i'm really mostly only interested in something that works with a minimum of physical units.

With that said I suppose I could always get a flash cart...or for that matter their "unofficial" jailbreak, if released, would allow for it. I'm not necessarily trying to push piracy I just can't handle having a bag of things to haul around.