Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
sorry santee, I had this extremely aesthetic vintage computer poster I was going to take out of its frame, roll up and send you, but it turns out it's printed on foam-core poster board and would not have rolled up very well.

Now I have to think of something else for the main bit. Perhaps I'll ship out local goodies in a separate package so you get something quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my main gift is something I would love to get but im not sure if my santee will think it is lame and also I have anxiety and impostor syndrome

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
box is packed up and will go out tomorrow!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i thought foolishly ok i have everything but some things i can grab from a corner store ready, let’s ship it out sunday

and now we went hard lockdown again

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Package says it has arrived, now we wait for the Santee

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
a box as been sent :chome:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
a box arrived just as I was heading out to pick up some last-minute things to throw in the box for my santee

first impressions: it's heavy

like, really really loving heavy

oh god

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mealworms are surprisingly weighty

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol parcel service from the continent into the uk has stopped will be fun to see if i can even mail my box but will try tomorrow

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

my order is scheduled to arrive today, so just filling out with some local goodies and should be able to send it out this weekend!

ok backup order made now, definitely won't get to me till after christmas but i can still send out before new years. apologies for the tardiness santee!

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

a box arrived just as I was heading out to pick up some last-minute things to throw in the box for my santee

first impressions: it's heavy

like, really really loving heavy

oh god

I couldn't wait until christmas to open it, so you all get to enjoy the pics now!

First thing in the box was a really cool home-computer-made card with sweet b&w graphics

Thank you Optimus_Rhyme!!! Did you use macpaint to make this? It looks amazing!

Okayyyy, the next thing was this exceptionally heavy nylon bag. There's no way that there's a laptop in here, nobody could possibly produce such a heavy laptop computer. It's just not realistic. Let's get back to that later, maybe it's packed with mealworms or something. I was laughing pretty hard at how loving heavy this bag was as I pulled it out, jeezus.

oh sweet, a bunch of 'con stickers and other things. I see a Telephreak key-card of some sorts hiding behind that deck of cards, this is going to be good!

The spread (knife was not included). Really liking these stickers, I lol'd at the z system ones. WinTV and FireSticks as promised! I can probably put these to some actual good use, thanks :)

okay, so what's in the bag? OH poo poo

It's a fuckin' KAYPRO 2000 "laptop"

some cool points:
the keyboard comes off and is attached with a phone handset-like cord for computing at a distance
it has a fuckin' modem
LCD screen!
pop-up 3 1/2" floppy drive
additional floppy storage
weighs like 20 lbs
metal case

There's no space for a power supply in the bag (apparently nobody with a KAYPRO 2000 has the original power supply anymore for this exact reason) so I'll have to rig something up with a bench supply to get this baby to boot!

Thanks Optimus_Rhyme, this has been a sick YOSMAS!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

:piss: that owns

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

I knew it would be going to a good home! Its technically regifted, but I lacked the skills to get it working so hoping you can let me know when you get it working.

Also share what's on the USB :allears:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat that rules. what are the specs on that laptop?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I knew it would be going to a good home! Its technically regifted, but I lacked the skills to get it working so hoping you can let me know when you get it working.

Also share what's on the USB :allears:

oooh what mysteries lie within?

A `sudo apt install dosbox` and some config tweaking later, and I get...

ketchup and mustard, this is rockin'!

"RUN ME" seems to call out for me to... run it?

2016? Hmm, this won't do.

THERE WE GO

THANKS OPTIMUS_RHYME!

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I really want to play johnny mnemonic but I've got to get my rear end to the post office so I can stop feeling guilty about not having sending my gift out yet!!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

its gonna be snedded tmrw

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
here is a pic of the cool math dealio

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

here is a pic of the cool math dealio

Is that the clifford stoll drinking glass?

Hunter2, now that i'm at a computer, I meant to include this in with the package but after I was done taping up the box with the label i look over and theres the sheet of paper, so here you go instead:

quote:

User Manual:
http://toastytech.com/manuals/Kaypro%202000%20Users%20Guide.pdf

Kaypro 2000 Power Supply

Unfortunately I don’t have a power supply for this beast, here’s information I found on the internet:

The Power supply is a 7.3V 2Amp. But you can get away with a 7.5VDC 2Amp adapter, Kaypro 2000 power socket is Center = Ground, Sleeve=7.5V which is opposite of today's standard adapter configuration.

So you will have to either change the Power supply cable to match this or resolder the 2 wires on the power socket to fit the standard adapter of Center = 7.5VDC, Sleeve=Ground.

Other choices for power supply:
  • Original power supply of Sony PSOne (7.5V 2A),
  • Power supply of 3rd party manufacturer (7.5V 2.2A),
  • Power supply/Battery Charger of Sony for old 8mm video (7.5V with 1.6A or 1.8A)
However you should check the polarity and change the plug and/or polarity.

quote:

Did you use macpaint

Close, i used The Print Shop in Mini vMac: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/2567-the-print-shop (growing up i had an Amiga with print shop and the cards look great).

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 23, 2020

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
https://i.imgur.com/QYc3e5k.mp4

When do I have to ship this out by? I'm like 80% satisfied with this gift so far, but that last 20% is a bear.

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 23, 2020

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
new years. i'm aiming for the 26th.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Oh man. This gift just took a really bad turn south. Going to need some rework.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i fedexed my poo poo this year. shipped something usps for sa mart and it took forever. gotta make sure the mealworms survive

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
:justpost:

Thanks for the box, Optimus_Rhyme --it's making its way to my santee next

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Is that the clifford stoll drinking glass?

Hunter2, now that i'm at a computer, I meant to include this in with the package but after I was done taping up the box with the label i look over and theres the sheet of paper, so here you go instead:

Close, i used The Print Shop in Mini vMac: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/2567-the-print-shop (growing up i had an Amiga with print shop and the cards look great).

nice, thanks for the info about the Kaypro power supply, I'll see if I can get a barrel jack and get it working soon

Also I know how I'm going to do all the cards for the gifts I'm mailing out to family and friends this year now!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

merry Xmas in four hours

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

go to bed moo cow

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

100 minutes to go now :neckbeard:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i mailed my package yesterday but what with *gesturrs at the uk genrrally* i don’t know when it will arrive

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Rushing out to the post office now...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i've gotten a good number of shipping notices, which is great. snedding my gift tomorrow.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol

OP lol

never had this stuff, gonna find some nice ways to mix it tonight

tag yourself. i'm PIZZA TIME

HELL yea! I am actually reading Patrick McGilligan's biography of lang right now. so this is extra perfect, one of my favorite movies.

thanks very much!! there was no note included with this. show yourself coward

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
it was me!

The amaretto is from a small distillery in my town. They don't make scotch, but their amaretto is pretty drat good. Not syrupy like the mass-market stuff. It makes for a bitchin' godfather.

Glad the package arrived OK. Fedex guy thought it was pretty funny when I put your name down as "God of Blood"

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
it’s me, im the amaretto in the op

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Poopernickel posted:

it was me!

The amaretto is from a small distillery in my town. They don't make scotch, but their amaretto is pretty drat good. Not syrupy like the mass-market stuff. It makes for a bitchin' godfather.

Glad the package arrived OK. Fedex guy thought it was pretty funny when I put your name down as "God of Blood"
thanks man! godfather is what we'll try first. i have always liked amaretto stuff.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Gift arrived from kuvo!

Shadowrun Sixth World Core Rules - My first TTRPG ever was Shadowrun 2nd edition, I have, frankly, an embarrassing amount of novels and sourcebooks for this game and as much as I love it that game was basically unplayable. I'm hoping that they made it at least a bit more streamlined this time around!

Cyberspeak, an online dictionary- Very excited to learn what 'lol' means :V

Deus Ex: Invisible War - I actually already have a physical copy of this, but! I'm very glad you picked it because I have to defend this game all the time as being severely underrated. I think it was the most philosophically complex of all the DX games, even if the gameplay wasn't particularly polished, and a concurrent console release hurt it, I think.

Kensington Drive Guardian - Coincidentally, I'm going through a project of making ISO's out of most of my physical media.

Google Nest Mini - One of my housemates is a google engineer working on Bluetooth, so I bet she could finish the usb speaker project. :D

Metal Earth Apollo Model - We have a ton of cool little space bric-a-brac on on our mantle, this would be a great addition.

Chololate: yes

Friskies cat treats - I do have cats! And as requested, pics below.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yoo glad to not be the only one who thinks DEIW was seriously underrated.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
glad it got there in one piece, the lady at fedex made it sound like it was a dice roll if it got there before new years (if at all). hope you (and your cats) enjoy the gifts!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

yoo glad to not be the only one who thinks DEIW was seriously underrated.

DE > DE:HR > DEIW > DE:MD imo. there was some interesting writing in IW but gently caress the gameplay was bad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Ive got my gift together and ready to ship. gonna try for tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

A gift today, my birthday! Pictures of children and animals being subject to yosmas ahead, viewer caution advised:

I've always been impressed by letterhead but the twitch.tv wrapping paper is something else- what a classy set up:

And the goods! This isn't useless desk ornament at all, it's a beefy little speaker I'll use with the kids!

The thing weighs like 10 pounds, it's got to be a full 5 of battery to make that sort of runtime work.

Thank you Sniep! Merry Christmas!