Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Well what a stroke of luck. Spieth continued his struggles today.

Edit: I got Tiger? LMAO
Much as I would’ve liked to saddle you with Spieth, it seemed like the fair thing to do since you were the first person to make a pick after thrilla in vanilla’s post that I misinterpreted so the integrity of the pick sequence is maintained.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anno posted:

I really hate that I picked Webb, then noticed he was teeing off when it was supposed to be raining and changed to Rose. Why did it have to storm too?
When I was lamenting my pick of Hatton instead of Wolff, I took a long hard look at Webb but didn't make the switch. :sigh:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mattfl posted:

lol nice dig on Bryson

Larry Mize averaged 240 off the tee and shot the same score as bryson who averaged 330+ off the tee

I'm sure Langer is only hitting it like 250-260 off the tee and he was 2 under par last I saw. I still don't like him because of his anchored non-anchored putter but the dude can play.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
At this rate the Masters will never end.

I say, hoping.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Much as I would’ve liked to saddle you with Spieth, it seemed like the fair thing to do since you were the first person to make a pick after thrilla in vanilla’s post that I misinterpreted so the integrity of the pick sequence is maintained.

You're a good man, no matter what they say.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Big Beef City posted:

lol the lady on the stream I'm watching, on Bryson's putting: "You know the only thing I can contribute it to might be the lack of a greens book of some kind(?)"

No it's because outside of his driver his mechanics look like a loving brick poo poo house trying to put on lingerie and always have and golf desperately needs him to be the next Tiger and absolutely clearly isn't and he also looks like a pure rear end in a top hat doing it....ok phew.

Username checks out

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm new to golf, is Bryson the first guy to try the "get ripped so you can hit the ball four hundred yards" strategy or is it an old trick?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I mean Tiger was ripped in his prime. He just didn’t have as big a frame.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I still think Bryson has a good shot to win the whole thing. He played awful and still shot a 2 under.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah but he shot 3 over in Bryson par

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm new to golf, is Bryson the first guy to try the "get ripped so you can hit the ball four hundred yards" strategy or is it an old trick?

There have been plenty of long drive competitors that have tried making the move to the PGA tour, but without much success. Jamie Sadlowski played in a couple events I think, but mostly on the Canadian and Web.com tours. He ended up basically hitting long irons off the tee on most holes which really negated his length advantage. He would be hitting 8 iron from 210 into a green while most tour players would be hitting a 5 or 6 but they’d be just as consistent with the longer club. Kyle Berkshire is trying to do the same thing now (he puts a lot of videos of him playing courses on YouTube if you want to take a look) but his wedges and short game are still not where they need to be.

Bryson seems to be the first Tour player trying to chase Long Drive numbers. The conventional wisdom in golf forever was “fairways and greens” and the driving accuracy stat was something that was really focused on. With the newer “strokes gained” stats coming into favor, people started realizing how much of an advantage distance is. Plenty of tour players started optimizing their driver numbers (higher launch, lower spin, striking the ball higher on the face of the driver, etc) but Bryson is the only one that comes to mind who has taken it to such an extreme. There are players who have obviously focused more on fitness and speed in the last few years but I don’t think anyone has really bulked up like Bryson.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah the main difference is that long drive competitors have tried to become regular pros but it has never worked bc if they had the game, they wouldn’t have become long drive competitors.

Bryson is the first instance of a regular pro trying to become a long drive competitor, if you will.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Honeatly bryson still being 2 under after playing as bad as he did yesterday is pretty wild.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Listen, DJ is cool and all but I don't actually want him to win...and it seems like he might walk away with it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Rooting for JT if Tiger fades.

drat, Phil's charging up too... that's a great leaderboard.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Mcqueen posted:

Listen, DJ is cool and all but I don't actually want him to win...and it seems like he might walk away with it.

It's not always fair, but the changing conditions really helped him today.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

AndrewP posted:

Rooting for JT if Tiger fades.

drat, Phil's charging up too... that's a great leaderboard.

I don't want to speak too soon, but this feels like one of the better Master's I've seen.

Feels dope too, got a handful of co-workers into golf this year and have been hyping this tourney real hard. Currently playing it on our big screen at work and everyone's stoked seeing all the easily recognizable players actually be good and kick rear end (PHIL).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm cautiously optimistic that this weekend's gonna own real hard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tyrrell Hatton you piece of poo poo, best year of your career? How about missing the cut in all three majors arghh I'm so :mad:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

not a boring day for Brooks

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Tiger's on the course y'all.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bryson lost his ball in the rough. ya hate to see it

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Yeah it’s something that would absolutely not have been lost if there was a gallery. That’s unfortunate.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah it’s something that would absolutely not have been lost if there was a gallery. That’s unfortunate.

It sucks, but hit the ball in the fairway and its not a problem.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

actually I enjoy that pros have to deal with the same bullshit we do, like losing balls for no good reason

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bryson's gonna need at least a 66 to stick around.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kirios posted:

Bryson's gonna need at least a 66 to stick around.

Hope he makes it, but it looks like his tournament is over.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

hahaha Bryson's done

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Oh tiger

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

247 yard par 3

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

247 yard par 3

3 wood par 3's are absolutely terrifying, no thank you.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Bryson has such a steep descent angle with his driver that he's not getting any run on a lot of his drives, I could see him doing better in April if the course is playing a bit firmer. Then again he's also probably hitting more fairways than he would otherwise.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Bryson has such a steep descent angle with his driver that he's not getting any run on a lot of his drives, I could see him doing better in April if the course is playing a bit firmer. Then again he's also probably hitting more fairways than he would otherwise.

Or he should listen to what Faldo just said and hit less club but put himself in better spots.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah when he and Wolff were playing together in the final round of the US Open, Wolff would carry his driver just a little less than Bryson but would frequently roll past him. I don't understand Bryson's driver trajectory right now unless he's just trying to maximize carry.

lol Kuchar after they decide to stop for the day "wanna get a steak sandwich?"

Kevin Na only marked his ball with a coin on the green. Supposedly they cut the greens in the morning so I'm betting the mower totally runs over the coin.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My only consolation is that Wolff who I wanted to pick instead of Hatton is also gonna miss the cut, and Webb Simpson also backed up to -3 thru 14.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hello I am golf neutral but I heard Tiger was in the thick of things and I wanna be excited about that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Ahem you mean the second cut.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Bryson looked like he was gonna reel it in but bogey-bogey finish probably means he'll miss the cut. If Tiger can make a birdie on 17 or 18 to get to -6 that would be pretty nice.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Looks like the cut's going to sneak in at E. I'm ok with that - there's a hell of a lot of names at even par that will make a star studded Masters even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The stars are aligning.

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1327626149816639489