Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

aniviron posted:

Some stores realized that they can immediately tell people to pull forward past the window to wait for their food to be brought out to them;

Crazy. The last time I went to Popeyes, they had us forming two rows of cars, three cars deep beyond the drive through. It was nutty and causing some parking lot shenanigans. I wonder if that was what they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Philthy posted:

Crazy. The last time I went to Popeyes, they had us forming two rows of cars, three cars deep beyond the drive through. It was nutty and causing some parking lot shenanigans. I wonder if that was what they were doing.

this is all Goodhart's Law finagling: "when a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure"

corporate wants you to hit x number of 100% customer surveys and you're below the mark just before deadline? some assistant manager moron is in the parking lot fishing receipts of of the trash and generating free gmail addresses to take six surveys and push you over the average

corporate wants you to make sure that every single customer is greeted? pull your least valuable employee that day to literally just walk around the store doing nothing but making eye contact, nodding, and saying hello to every customer

corporate wants you to reduce the number of employee injury incidents? just stop recording them, hope OSHA never finds out

when you use whatever, like drive-thru service times, or items per order, or whatever, they will 100% find a way to game the system so they don't get a bold-text email that week asking why they're not MEETING THE MARK

there's no way in fuckin hell that my local mcdonalds has a 35 second drive thru service time, but that's what the screens say, because they do exactly what you just sai and make people go park in the pickup spots and have someone carry it out

corporate america, not even once

edit: source, personally have seen all of this and then some being done with my own eyes

postmodifier fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 8, 2024

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

postmodifier posted:

this is all Goodhart's Law finagling: "when a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure"

:words:

source, personally have seen all of this and then some being done with my own eyes

Can confirm, in addition, off the top of my head:

In older days (and still at some places), managers instead of handing out paper coupon flyers as intended, stashing them and cutting them out at the end of the night and stapling them to receipts because "you're supposed to collect every paper coupon you ring up" but your order time goes up waiting for customers to fish out their coupons so might as well just tell them not to worry about it and do it at the end of the night (actually ends up costing the company more to pay someone to do that)

Being encouraged to hit the "order done button" on the computer at the target finish time, wasting time going up to the register and taking the receipt back to the prep area, then making the food after it's "done". This can build upon itself until you're who knows how many receipts back and finally getting around to making food that was "done" 15 minutes ago and trying to "catch up".

Just screwing with inventory numbers in general, which always comes back to bite later, usually by running out of things.

Managers feeling compelled to ring up like 10 orders of one individual sauce packet so they could hit their target number of orders for the day/week/whatever and throwing in a dollar out of their own pocket, or just saying the drawer was short a dollar that day

Managers telling employees they no longer get their by policy guaranteed shift meal because "numbers are down", maybe you'll get that back once they are up again, so you should make that happen ~somehow~.

Sending employees home early because "sales are down, we can't afford the labor cost" then it gets busy and employees can't keep up, which leads to good labor costs but bad order times, so the order times have to be fudged, which encourages understaffing in the future because "Look here, it can be done!" slippery slope crap.

I could go on, but when strictly enforced, "hitting the numbers" typically results in worse service, worse profits, unhappy employees, and gaming the system. But as long as the numbers look good, everyone passes the buck all the way up the chain and nothing gets fixed even though things could easily be way better with a good dose of reality.

postmodifier posted:

corporate america, not even once

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dominos Japan has a pizza with a cheese volcano in the center of the pie.
https://twitter.com/UnseenJapanSite/status/1744820598587740398

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024
Never forget: it's usually cheaper to build your own pizza in the style of their specialty pizzas than it is to order the specialty by name.

#staywoke

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
yeah at marcos we always just order a two top with both pepps and romasean crust and save like 8 bucks vs the pepperoni magnifique cost

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I miss Marcos

Also Jets

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ordered a nice cheese and pep to throw in the fridge and eat cold tomorrow

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

they should make a pizza place where the pizza is all served cold. not old.
like they cook it fresh, then throw it in the fridge till its cold, then give it to you.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
id buy overnight pizza

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Philthy posted:

id buy overnight pizza
buy overnight pizza and make pizza french toast

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Sous Vidizza

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Let's go! :2bong:

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I am here to tell you that the Cinnamon bread is super good when it's fresh. Sweet, buttery, with just a pinch of salty. Don't overdo it on the icing, they give you too much.

Source: eating it

----------------

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Just had a pie with onions, garlic, mushrooms, banana peppers, jalapenos, and pineapple. It was good but with delivery and a tip it was like $50. Oh well, I needed it

The garlic dipping sauce was a mistake though, I should’ve went with marinara

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
50 bucks at a dominos should be enough to buy you franchise rights wtf

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Some people tip well

----------------

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
300% is a little much

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous cumhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I've had better

----------------