Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
What's this? A box of cheer arrived, on a Sunday no less. A Christmas miracle!

with a very cute festive narwhal card

and a warning not to let the specimen escape, along with an introduction to snorkelbot, the handler

and within--a Reaper Kraken! Awesome! And a book about jellyfish! Double-awesome!

And a cute little snorkelbot exactly as promised, ready for duty.

Also, here are some cats, as is the tradition:

Thanks santa! This is a great goon present! Definitely looking forward to working on that Kraken after the holidays.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

rydiafan posted:

And in another package were these adorable Dead By Daylight charms/keychains. I am 100% certain that my wife is going to steal the Myers one, but that still leaves three for me. And even though I hate playing against Doctor, this little guy is too cute to hold that grudge against. Sadly I don't know who this is from, since the note was signed by The Entity.

Also, I have updated tracking information, and Berenzen's Santee should get their present on Tuesday.

Since you seemed keen to know, that was me! I'm glad you like!! Originally it was going to be an adorable handmade Legion doll I found on Etsy, but it was in Spain and wouldn't have arrived until they lifted lockdown, which...yeah. So I compromised with a bunch of these instead. Glad you like em!!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

occamsnailfile posted:

What's this? A box of cheer arrived, on a Sunday no less. A Christmas miracle!

Thanks santa! This is a great goon present! Definitely looking forward to working on that Kraken after the holidays.

I'm glad it finally made it! I was checking the tracking multiple times a day hoping it would get there on time. Enjoy painting the Kraken, I'm sure it's going to turn out amazing!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So here I thought I had already received a great bounty from my Secret Santa weeks ago, but apparently he or she had other nefariously benevolent plans...

A mystery package arrived and freaked me out a little bit since I wasn't expecting anything! Seriously, Leperflesh are we 100% sure I only had one Santa and not two? :monocle:

In addition to the PoD Ironsworn book I got a few weeks ago, here's the other fun stuff. Judging by the theming, I can only assume that Santa's from Scotland!

Thank you much for going above and beyond, Santa. :3:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup, just the one! For these international shipments I think we've had a couple of santas worried things wouldn't arrive from the UK on time and sending secondary gifts just in case.

Speaking of: today, December 21st, is the deadline for delivery of gifts. And we've done extremely well. I'm checking my Spreadsheet of Cheer, and I can only see four gifts that are still in transit. Possibly one or more will arrive today!

All of these goons have been in touch, and/or shipped a long time ago. We are at the mercy of especially impacted postal services this year.

Here's who hasn't gotten their things yet, but they're in my sheet as shipped:

Aggro's second gift (of two) maybe hasn't arrived yet, if I understood correctly that there's 2 separate gifts sent.
thegodofchuck's gift from Santa #5
Rid's gift, shipped overseas at the end of November still hasn't been delivered, dangit
DirtyCheeseburgers' gift was sent near the deadline from the US, we expected it to be pretty late. Hopefully arriving very soon.

That's all. Did I get any of these wrong? Did anyone not get a gift yet, but also isn't on this list? Let me know please. :)

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
A package arrived from Santa last night: a copy of Pandemic Rising Tide! Het spel gaat over Nederland en is in het Nederlands! This looks like an excellent way to practice my Dutch while having some fun. Dankjewel, Santa!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My second physical parcel to my santee is also still in transit, but parcel 1 and the digital gift both were delivered already.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Got a notification this morning that delivery has been delayed from today until tomorrow.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
All told we've had a pretty good santa year, both in gifts given and delivery in time of peril.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's been very very good!

A gift for thegodofchuck has had its tracking info re-located and is out for delivery todayshowing as delivered in the past couple hours (sent over three weeks ago, so that is not the santa's fault at all). A gift for DirtyCheeseburgers was shipped basically in time and will arrive hopefully very soon, and that's the last goon to have not received anything yet. There are a couple more secondary gifts still in transit, e.g. Santee received one or two things but has one more thing still to get there; and that's fine I think. Golden bubble's present arrived damaged and may take a while to get replaced, and that's a bummer, but it's not a grinching, and nothing anyone can really be blamed for.

So while we're not done yet, I'm pretty confident we have another year of zero grinches, which is great!

A few presents haven't been actually opened yet (including mine), a few haven't been pictured yet, so please continue to hang out in the thread through new years day at least so we can all share those happy time posts together. Thanks everyone!

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Hark!

A box of styrofoam!

Cunningly concealed within, a book! A GIANT book!

Like, about giants!

Thanks, Santa #5!

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

This is a perfect gift thank you!

I'm glad you're happy - I really had no idea what I was looking at there!

As for me: package arrived!

Inis! (rude dog not included). This is extremely generous and really, really appreciated. My game group is my main social thing, and we're all really excited to play this, y'know, eventually.

Also, we had our first kid about six months ago, it turns out when you have kids, they get all the presents?? What a rip off. So it was nice to have something to open, even if I did it early. Thank you!!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Pictured: A man, riding a manticore, riding a mystic chalice:

After we escaped the island, it was thoroughly destroyed by a kaiju very nosy cat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Novasol posted:

Pictured: A man, riding a manticore, riding a mystic chalice:

After we escaped the island, it was thoroughly destroyed by a kaiju very nosy cat.

Yay! Glad you had fun!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Pictures!!!

As I said, my Santa was our illustrious Leperflesh. Luck of the draw? Was it because I put in a note that my mailing address is fucky? Who can tell? But let's take a look at what I got, hey?

Ignore the takoyaki pan(I learned to make takoyaki this weekend, it owns.) What can this be? Is this the long-awaited last piece of my Twin Peaks cosplay?

Ohhhh, it has a... a thing on it. What it do?

A hatch? Fascinating. I think we need to go deeper, shine a light down this rabbit-hole.

The hole comes out on the other side! Oh hey, what is this other thing that was in the box?

Oh my gently caress, you guys! It's a ridiculously nice dice tower! The tray is cedar and it smells so good! There was also a bit of documentation included:

I am absolutely taken aback by the thoughtfulness and effort of this gift, I feel like my sending a d&d sourcebook and a dm screen does not at all compare to this. Leper should feel bad for being such a good Santa.

I also have to add that LeperFlesh was delightfully cagey about it, sending me emails relaying questions that my Santa had for me about some preferences and aforementioned address fuckyness. Was the bit about whether or not I was alright with having foul language on my gift an early idea thrown aside, or a was it a red herring? We may never know. Leper also sent a follow-up email shortly after its arrival, basically making GBS threads on it as a rushed job, which I think you can see is very much unwarranted.

And now, for the test drive!!

Let's see. Trial 1: A standard d6.

Ah, very good. Proceed to Trial 2: A full polyhedral set.

Let's really put it through it's paces with Trial 3: The Big Wahooney

Thanks Leperflesh! Merry Christmas!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

El Fideo posted:

Let's really put it through it's paces with Trial 3: The Big Wahooney

Another defective gift? You hate to see it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

El Fideo posted:

Pictures!!!

As I said, my Santa was our illustrious Leperflesh. Luck of the draw? Was it because I put in a note that my mailing address is fucky? Who can tell? But let's take a look at what I got, hey?

:eyepop:
Oh drat that is nice! I think Leperflesh was asking advice for this in the woodworking thread. How did you make such a big hole? you must have a very long drill press :v: Also how did you drill the interior holes for the rods?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can see my long big-hole-maker in this preview image:

Leperflesh posted:

Hooray!

Here is an in-progress photo, as a teaser.

I have this enormous forstner bit on hand. My father in law gave it to me along with three weather-station gauges, sort of as a woodworking kit idea for making a weather station, which I did. IIRC it's 1 11/16" wide, which is a very odd size but precisely the diameter of the gauges, and also as it turns out, an excellent width for a dice tower log.

The rods are drilled through from the side. I left them incomplete (e.g, they don't go all the way across the inner hole diameter) so that they'd vibrate a little more and that means a nice sound as the dice fall through. Also this way they can be adjusted if someone has a die that gets stuck easily.

I originally planned to make a dice tower with a rectangular design, from cedar. But after putting a couple hours into planing and finishing my cedar plank, slicing it into the right sized boards, and getting everything lined up... I discovered why people don't do dovetail joinery in cedar. A couple tails cracked off, and when I tried to cut my first row of pins, all but one snapped off too. Cedar is just too splintery to do fine joinery work, apparently!

So I abandoned that idea and went for the log instead, and after cutting off the ruined dovetails I still had enough cedar to make a tray too. I had nothing to do while I waited for coats of BLO to dry so the tray was pretty straightforward, and it's just glued, but it seems sturdy enough anyway. The lap joints are stronger than just flat butt joints, and I planed everything extremely smooth so there'd be good contact.

e. oh yeah I took this photo to illustrate "one can never have too many clamps"

I originally thought of putting the words "gimme some fuckin cubes" on the top of the tower, and "LMAO" at the bottom. With a cedar tower, maybe burning in the letters or maybe a brass plaque or perhaps paint? But with the log tower, I decided that wouldn't match well with the aesthetic; the remnant of the idea is at the top of my note to El Fideo.

Anyway I really enjoyed making this log dice tower. I've got a couple more pieces of that oak dried and I'm thinking about making one for my brother and one for myself. If I do, I need to work out a much more secure way of clamping a log to the drill press table, because the picture above was extremely janky! As the leading edges of the forstner bit hit the bark they caused a massive amount of rocking/vibration that made the whole drill press rock on its base. I had to clamp down some 4x4s around the outside of the log and then kind of hold the drill press as best I could while I slooowly took bites down into the wood. Once the whole bit was engaged it was OK. But I would not recommend the setup pictured above to anyone with a lick of sense.

It was a fun project and I'm pretty happy with how it came out (although any woodworker can tell you - all they see is the flaws that nobody else notices) and it should last for a century or three if it's not like, left outside for more than a few years.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 24, 2020

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The dice were fun. Hades remains fantastic. But my secret santa decided to give me three gifts this year.

Golden Sky is the Japanese Role Playing Game about being a woodland creature with magical powers having childish adventures about human connection in a rural town. It is deeply sincere on level few things are.

Twilight Tales is the class expansion that adds roles like ghost, ogre, and alien to the game, which might let me convince people unwilling to play a cross between an eight year old and a rabbit to give the game a shot.

Thank you again, Santa! You are tremendous.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mystic Mongol posted:

The dice were fun. Hades remains fantastic. But my secret santa decided to give me three gifts this year.

Golden Sky is the Japanese Role Playing Game about being a woodland creature with magical powers having childish adventures about human connection in a rural town. It is deeply sincere on level few things are.

Twilight Tales is the class expansion that adds roles like ghost, ogre, and alien to the game, which might let me convince people unwilling to play a cross between an eight year old and a rabbit to give the game a shot.

Thank you again, Santa! You are tremendous.

Heyyyy the postal service got it there before Christmas!

Merry Christmas, MM

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Merry christmas, everyone! My TG Secret Santa present increased the number of presents under our "tree" by 50%, haha. (I got more gifts but most were digital.)

hey I got a gloomhaven thing!

Billie Jean was summoned to briefly approve, although she knew she's not allowed on the dining room table and bailed out pretty fast.

Thank you, Arrrthritis! When we're allowed to meet again, my group is going to enjoy this for sure. :)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So did everyone get their presents on time?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have Aggro 1/2 and Rid 1/2, meaning they each got a present on time, but a second package isn't there yet. So yes, but also let's see if those show up.

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

Why, yes, that is Glemdenning
Guys,

I have a really weird question. And Leper I'm sorry if this is way out of order but.

My wife is part of a nerd culture group here in arizona called the Blue Ribbon Army (yes i know.. :| ) anyways. They did a secret santa this year with 263 participants. I let my wife use our last $30 to buy her santee a gift because shes participated every year for the last 6 years. This year 60 people were grinched and she was one of them.

Would anyone be interested or willing to send my wife something in the holiday spirit? Even like a hot cocoa mix or something would probably lighten up her christmas. We have really been struggling and this was a really lovely situation or i wouldn't ever ask.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Over 20% grinch rate is completely absurd! I certainly hope she'll never participate with such a badly-run thing again.

If anyone would like to send Benedict's wife a dong a nice nerd gift, I can facilitate handoff of addresses etc.

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

And generic white girl stuff is fine or i can forward a list for her if someone wants to pick something

oh super important shes allergic to cucumbers, melons, and strawberries

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My hand is still pretty hosed but I could try my best?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I got a new wallet for Christmas, and I found an Amazon gift card I forgot I had when cleaning out the old one, so sure, I gotcha.

Go ahead and send address and gift ideas/categories/suggestions to Leperflesh.

EDIT: Or PM it to me if that's easier, since we don't need to worry about the "secret" part of Santaing.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 27, 2020

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Got Concordia, Wingspan, Brass Birmingham and Arkham Horror LCG for Christmas.

Santa was very generous.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I got a gift card from my work, happy to spread it around for the Griniched of the world, I PMd Leperflesh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've sent an email to Benedict. I can pick one randomly from our three volunteers, or you guys can work it out via PM with Benedict, however you want to do it. Doing it through tgsecretsanta@gmail.com means a mod has eyes on the transaction, via PM is more "at your own risk," to some minor degree. Up to you.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Opened up the gifts from my santa! Dice, a copy of Blades in the Dark, and a copy of the Castles of Burgundy. They all look like they're going to be a ton of fun to play!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

OperaMouse posted:

Got Concordia, Wingspan, Brass Birmingham and Arkham Horror LCG for Christmas.

Santa was very generous.

Hot dang. That’s some good Santa.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hot dang. That’s some good Santa.

Haha, wrong thread. This were my Christmas gifts, not from this Secret Santa.

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

Thank you again to the people who offered to de-grinch my wife. I've forwarded on pertinent info to leper. Sorry I hadn't checked in in a couple days, arizona has become kind of a poo poo show the last week and we had a near miss scare with covid so I've been far busier than I ever should have been

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I got the cast/splint thingy off today so maybe I can make up for things soon.

Regardless, hope you all had a happy holidays!

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 31, 2020

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Benedict posted:

Guys,

I have a really weird question. And Leper I'm sorry if this is way out of order but.

My wife is part of a nerd culture group here in arizona called the Blue Ribbon Army (yes i know.. :| ) anyways. They did a secret santa this year with 263 participants. I let my wife use our last $30 to buy her santee a gift because shes participated every year for the last 6 years. This year 60 people were grinched and she was one of them.

Would anyone be interested or willing to send my wife something in the holiday spirit? Even like a hot cocoa mix or something would probably lighten up her christmas. We have really been struggling and this was a really lovely situation or i wouldn't ever ask.

I can do a miniature sculpt if you’re fine with a bit of a delay and think she would be cool with gaming supplies/a neat little desk ornament. That absolutely sucks and everyone could use cheer, especially given how much of a lovely year it’s been.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We have at least one gift en-route to Benedict's wife! Xiahou, glad to hear your hand is doing better, hopefully you'll be back to 100% soon.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So sorry I hosed up. Once my hand stops being a jerk I'll try to send things out ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm de-stickying the thread. I'm gonna leave it open for a few more days: I'd like to hear how that Benedict's wife gift works out, there's a gift sorta missing/lost in transit to The Netherlands maybe, and perhaps one or two more goons who only opened gifts in the last week. Plus maybe Xiahou is doing calligraphy? Not sure.

But as with the last few years, we've got no Grinches again this year! Awesome.

One last reminder; if you'd like to receive an email when I put up next year's thread, you can subscribe to the mailing list. Just email me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and I'll put you on the list. I send that reminder out BCCed, so your email won't be shared, and the reminder is the only thing I use the list for.