Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I, El Fideo, am in for the first time. I wanted to in previous years, but I find I'm in a good enough financial place now that I can.

Gift Preferences: I'm a board gamer, but I'm currently in a purge phase with my collection, so no games please. General board gaming accessories would be nice, like a really sick dice tower, or a deck of quite pretty cards. I've just gotten into painting miniatures for my RPGing, getting by with basic equipment and supplies there, so something along those lines would be cool. RPG dice will never not be appreciated, and I don't have any good PBTA games, at least until Nemesis of Moles finishes his next kickstarter.

Non-TG stuff: Food items, local delicacies especially, are great. More savory than sweet, but I have no strange dietary restrictions or allergies. Alcohol is very acceptable, though no IPAs and no whiskey. I'm not super into fandom stuff in general, but I couldn't possibly say no to something from either Godzilla or Terry Pratchett. If sending something with a smell, my favorite scents are almond, cedar, and citrus. I'm big into music, both listening and making, as well as theater.

Location: Hawai'i. If I get you and you have food listed, you'll probably get some real tasty poo poo.

Solemn Vow: Grinchin'? That ain't me.

Editing to add: Xiahou Dunn, I'm very interested in Alone on Jing Ting Mountain by Li Bai, if you have the time.

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Novasol here! I'm pretty new to this whole "collecting bits and bobs of carboard and plastic" thing and have just recently relocated to a place where I can play these things semi-regularly, so I've gone on a bit of a splurge and want to share some love and possibly receive some in return. Platonically.

Games I currently have:
7 Wonder Duel + Pantheon
Alchemists
Alhambra
Azul
Bang: The Card Game
Battlecon: War of Indines (2nd Edition... it was like $5)
Codenames
Coup
Cairn
Everdell
Elysium
Jaipur
Isle of Cats
Last Bastion
Machi Koro + Expansions
Mice and Mystics
Search for Planet X
Sheriff of Nottingham 2nd Edition
Root
Tokaido
Takenoko
The Crew
Villainous

Gift Preferences
+ Often, I only have one other person to play with, so games that play with 2 nicely are welcome. 2 player games that scale up well are better.
+ Co-op games are appreciated.
+ Humorous and/or whimsical theming a plus.
+ Accessories are okay! So far I only have a dice tower and a card shuffler. I'm new to all of this so I have no idea what would even be useful for the scattershot stuff I have.
+ I loving love lying to and/or bullying people in board games, which is why I have Sheriff of Nottingham. More in this vein is welcome.
+ Lighter to medium complexity is fine, as I'm a bit of a small brain. Heavy stuff is also fine on a case-by-case basis, but it needs to be really engaging.
+ Ideal playtime is under 2 hours, though longer is fine.
- I definitely do not like trains enough to delve into that world.
- I am also not a grognard.
- I loving hate Catan. Don't.
- While I enjoy some dice games (see Machi Koro), I have been confirmed cursed and have the worst dice luck known to man. This can be a positive if this will make the game in question funnier.

Solemn Vow: You will get something from me, lest I roll 1s on every critical dice roll ever.

Edits:
1) I am down to receive a wall scroll as a gift, my housemate is a huge Three Kingdoms fanboy and would go nuts over it.
2) I'm down to ship internationally, but would prefer domestic.

Novasol fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 19, 2020

redegglamp
May 24, 2008
I'd love to join in the merriments.

Gift Preferences: Board games or accessories , I've only got a small collection right now:

7 Wonders
Arkham Horror LCG + Dunwich/Carcosa cycles
Azul
Catan
Citadels
Coup
Escape the Hidden Temple
Gloomhaven
One-deck Dungeon + Expansion
Onirim
Onitama
Santorini
Twilight Struggle
Tash-Kalar + Expansions

I've liked most things I've tried and I always like seeing things that other people think are great, anything that plays well at 3 is a plus. I've also started collecting Orks for WH40k more for painting than playing so anything related would be nice. I don't like TTRPG/D&D.

Non-TG stuff: Sweet foods are always welcome. I'm quite into cooking so maybe send me your favourite recipe to try if you are too.

Solemn Vow: Should I grinch may all that I try to drink turn to fetid paint water.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Yay! I'm back again to spread some Christmas Cheer! I think it's my 5th year!

Gift Preferences
Being that I'm mostly a miniature player, it would be easier to list what I play.
I play the following armies
40k: Deathwatch, Genestealer Cult, Orks, Ad Mech, Inquisition, and of course GUARD!
Old or new minis including Necromunda are always welcome.
Team Yankee: East Germany
I am considering starting a new "Western" army. YOU could determine a future army for me :D
Flames of War: Soviet, German, Italian, Poland
Anything out of this could be cool, but not a primary desire.
If you don't want to buy minis or stuff, cool militaria is an option. Also a huge fan of The Expanse, Venture Brothers (I have Go Team Venture).
Cosplay items for an Inquisitor could be awesome.
You could send interesting foods and candies.
You could send a dong, new only please.

Solemn Vow
I am not a Grinch
I have not Grinched
If I did
My Ancestors would be shamed

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

Why, yes, that is Glemdenning
Some tidy housekeeping first:

I appreciate the offer of charity Gau. On reflection, retrospection, introspection, and retroreflection, it has come to mind that I can almost certainly fabricate a gift that will fill my santee with joy based on what i have available to me, so that being said, I will be stepping into the ring.

Gift Preferences
I like to make things, so stuff like legos, mechano, kits, gunpla, etc are always a fun and welcome gift.
I have many many board games so please see our list, but anything not on our list is fair game. We just recently got Scoville so Scoville Labs would be a treat! https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/amandaofdoom
I also like tiki stuff a lot (like the movement of the 30s and 40s) so anything youd see at trader vics is pretty rad.
(edit) I am also down for sci fi mini terrain that isnt GRIMDARK GOTHIC CATHEDRALS (/edit)

Solemn Vow
For in the cold depths of winter there lurks a beast with heart of coal,
Filled with longing it takes and takes but never gives trying to fill its soul,
Never have I been such a monster nor suffered its foul refuse
Participation in secret santa is a gift I shall not misuse

Benedict fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 23, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm all caught up with emails! I have email from everyone but Swags.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Count me in.

Gift Preference:
I dig interesting Indie RPG books. Stuff I already have: Blades in the Dark, Scum & Villainy, Band of Blades, Hack the Planet, A Fistful of Darkness, A Nocturn, Americana, Agon, Fellowship (books 1,2&3), Burning Wheel, The Sprawl + Expansion, The Watch, Flotsam, Bleak Spirit, Uncharted Worlds + Expansion, The Play's the thing, Archives of the Sky, Tiny Dungeon, Dungeon World, Apoc World, Epyllion, Urban Shadows, The Spire + expansion, The Heart, Lancer, Runequest, Coriolis, Silent Titans, Forbidden Lands + Expansions, Legacy 2E + Expansions, Lots of WHFRP, 3:16 Carnage Among the Stars, EXUVIAE.

Always interested in reading new weird RPGs or even fun settings, bonus points if they are system agnostic. No DnD plz.

I do the minis thing. Warhammer 40k: Dark Angels & Sisters of Battle. Adeptus Titanicus. Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander: UCM & PHR.

I also play lots of board games, but I am trying to cull down my collection and focus on things I can do in my house alone: read RPG books and paint minis.

Solemn Vow:
I do so swear to not to knowingly grinch at anyone. And should an unknowing grinch occur, all restitutive efforts shall be made by myself.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I really hope I get someone who needs minis terrain. I'm going to absolutely delight their pants off.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I'm in! I cleared out a bunch of old games and have shelving, which means I have room for new games.

Gift Preference:
It's looking like it's going to be a long, quarantined winter, so some new board games would be preferred. Here is a link to my BGG collection. I've steadily coaxed my wife into playing games, working our way up from Catan and Pandemic to Galaxy Trucker and Wingspan to Gloomhaven. Gloomhaven was probably a bridge too far, whereas I think I hit the sweet spot with Wingspan. We also don't have any games with a dexterity component, so something like Flick 'Em Up! could be a fun add.

However, I really haven't kept up with the board game scene over the last couple of years beyond a couple of standouts. I would be more than happy to be surprised by a game I haven't heard of that would be fun for the two of us.

Solemn Vow:
I swear that I won't ruin my first TG Secret Santa, on pain of rats devouring all the games I own.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
What a trash year this has been, what a good idea this is.

Gift Preferences
Games! Even though I may not be able to play with anyone for another year... here is my BGG owned list. Earlier this year I posted in the board game general chat thread for recommendations and was given: Sidereal Confluence, Inis, Whitehall Mystery, Terra Mystica, Fury of Dracula, Dungeon Mayhem, El Grande, Vegas Showdown, Tiny Towns, Through the Desert, Chicago Express, Keyflower, Triumph and Tragedy, Neuland, The Great Zimbabwe, Antiquity, Fresh Fish. These were all just recommendations, I don't know how they all stack up as far as cost or whatever. Would also be great to get Jaws of the Lion since we just finished base Gloomhaven. Or the Spirit Island expansion! What a great game.

However, I also wouldn't mind a basic rear end D&D starter book. And also, just whatever? I'm not picky.

Toronto, Ontario. If I happen to get a local, I really like supporting lvl up games.

Solemn Vow
I will not grinch, for if I do, may my Gloomhaven organizer fall apart.

DirtyCheeseburgers fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 21, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

El Fideo posted:

Editing to add: Xiahou Dunn, I'm very interested in Alone on Jing Ting Mountain by Li Bai, if you have the time.

Werp, didn't see the edit so super glad Leperflesh e-mailed me. Yeah that's totally a thing I can do but getting up there in length for anyone playing the home-game so this'd be about my cut-off.

You don't have PM's but I have a dedicated cut-away e-mail xiahoudunsa@gmail that auto-forwards to my real e-mail if that works or we can make something else up. Whatever works best for you.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

This will be me first time, but I would like to participate as well.

Gift preferences
I love boardgames, but I have a quite extensive collection already: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Grouch
Still, if you think you can find something that I might like, by all means go for it.

I also love puzzles, riddles, quizes etc in all sorts and sizes. Examples are jigsaw puzzels, Japanese logic puzzles (slitherlink, nonogram, sudoku and relatives), pub quizes, escape rooms, etc.

Books are also fine. I love history (WW2 and European history in particular). Interesting takes on events or persons in particular I love to read.

Things I don't like: miniatures, anime

General location
The Netherlands

Vow
Goon Secret Santas, and now my quest begins. It shall not end until Christmas. I shall buy no rubbish, hold no gifts back, create no grinchees. I shall wear no Grinch crowns and win no bad reputation. I shall live and ship via the post. I am the package in the darkness. I am the watcher in the mailbox. I am the carboard that guards the gifts of goons. I pledge my $ and honor to the Secret Santa Guild, for this night and all the nights to come.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Aaaah, tis the season.

Our troublesome Recent Events have kept me away from the TG subforum, but I was told that's dumb and they're right, it is.

Gift Preferences: I love fuckin' trash. The worst board game you can find, just total nonsense, sings to me. The old adventure modules that were never meant for play, RPG sourcebooks that are mimeographed, poorly written, or just a big ole' mess of charts.

If you want to get me something good, yeah, sure, nice things are good too I guess. Board Games are gonna be hard for me to actually play for a while, but I'm big into jTRPGs and haven't gotten any that came out in the past four years or so. Or bright yellow dice.

Non-TG stuff: Yeah OK. My steam account is here. Or you can send me anything else, as long as you think it's interesting. Science Fiction (written) is pretty good, if you need a compass point.

Vow: I've never grinched before, and I won't grinch in the future.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You guys are both in!

I'll be doing the assignments tomorrow, November 23rd. It's not too late to sign up for the main round, but at some point (approximately when I get around to it o'clock) US pacific time I'll have to draw the line. Of course, anyone after that can just join the first LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND!

We've got about 48 goons signed up, which is ten more than last year, a fact I find very encouraging. More xmas cheer = more better than, imo.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Hello this TGSS! I didn't participate last year because reasons; But this year I have a sack full of cheer for you good goons.

Gift preferences : I like scale models and miniatures! Something unique and interesting. I like oddball minis and weird vehicles and robots.

Vow : If I grinch, let them come for me.

I am happy to ship internationally; but I will most likely buy from a local online merchant.

Hopefully I am not too late for the first round :ohdear:.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 24, 2020

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Oof. It's definitely been a year, and the past couple months have probably been rougher than they should have. But TGSS is a highlight that I look forward to each year ever since my initial participation some while back. So I'm in - provided I'm able to post this in time for the cutoff. With that in mind, let's dive right into preferences – since this lurker's scant post history may not provide much insight.

Gift Preferences: Do I have some good news & bad news for you! Good news! The subset of my collection that I have access to after my cross-country move at the tail end of last year is still but a fraction of the whole, so it's an open field (and also very likely that accidental "duplicates" would be appreciated more than they might otherwise). Bad news! Due to... :hmmrona: circumstances, my tradgames activities have taken a nosedive. As a result, I would probably appreciate either something cool that's trad-peripheral/adjacent or a game with a really swell solo-play mode that might see sooner use more than another physical book or game that will have to sit on the shelf until it's safe to congregate again. In the same vein – while I still feel attached to the material – I'm definitely more open to digital goods this year (although that presents another set of challenges {of my own making}).

For actual tastes, I enjoy both tactical & lighter, more narratively focused RPGs; non-OSR weird is good here. I'm also into non-collectible card games (waiting with bated breath for Ashes Reborn from Plaid Hat), but have all the primary gameplay materials I need there for the specific games I've enjoyed so far (Netrunner & the aforementioned Ashes). If you're hunting in the sea of board games for a gift, a robust solo game/mode (as previously mentioned) and/or a small footprint/form factor are the primary concerns – alongside gameplay quality – for physical items at this point. I'm not really into miniatures and don't see getting into them with the space available under my current living situation, but I previously enjoyed Warhammer Underworlds while I was keeping current with it. I'll link my RPG Geek & BGG collections if you feel the urge to peruse for ideas or just want to cross-check a gift candidate against them. As for non-tradgames interests, I've dedicated a fair amount of my spare time to the FFXIV MMO, enjoy licensed & indie/small press comic books, and have picked up origami and other papercraft as a new hobby in the past year.

I know all this is a lot of :words:. So feel free to inquire for more specific interests/ideas if you're stumped or want to hone in on some aspect of the above.

Please, no Magic: the Gathering, D&D, support for problematic industry figures, or games with unplayable or otherwise notably shoddy rules (exemptions for goods Fatal & Friends-able are available).

General Location: SoCal, USA

Solemn Vow: Just like the delivery of my Vow this year, there shall be no funny business with my participation.

Leperflesh posted:

6. Send a gift to your Santee in a timely manner

POST INDICATING YOUR PRESENT HAS BEEN MAILED BY NO LATER THAN Friday, DECEMBER 18th, 2020. Your gift has to be delivered by Monday, December 20th.
I know COVID's had a large impact on many industries – shipping included – but I assume participants won't actually have to wait up to an entire year for their gifts to arrive (since this is certainly a typo). :laugh:

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 23, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You're in, and I got email from Swags, so everyone is in :)

It'll be a few hours yet, I've got stuff to do.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pro-tip : don't do an epic-pre-Thanksgiving cooking-athon thing where you take a grinding wheel to every knife in the house and then try to do calligraphy.

Everything came out looking like a polygraph test lol.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Everything came out looking like a polygraph test lol.

fake?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright I'm gonna start doing matchups. Don't panic if you don't see an email right away, this takes hours and I'm also sorta working at the same time, plus I might take a break for the football game tonight.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

the football game tonight.

What are you talking about? Packers played yesterday.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rydiafan posted:

lol

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Gift away! Sadly no wrapping options on this item.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chekans 3 16 posted:

:staredog:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chekans 3 16 posted:

lol I haven't even received a match up email yet

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Got a pretty straightforward Santee this year.

Also Git Jolly

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
A gift has been ordered and should be delivered in two parts.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i realize that i was a little vague in my gift preferences section, so in the interest of not getting stuff i have no use for, i play warhammer 40k (adeptus mechanicus) and i constantly need new brushes and paints and files and things. also my wife has expressed some interest in painting a model maybe so something she might want to paint would work.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Cheer Parts 1 and 2 deployed. Part 3 pending.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
Present away! Everything should be there by December 4th.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Holiday cheer is on its way! I'll edit this post with tracking information or whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
GOODIES DEPLOYED

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Aaron Rodgers already hates MVS, that drop in OT is going to ruin things, and of course I have MVS on my fantasy dynasty team, so :aargh:

Meanwhile, as you have noticed, certain goons are super on top of gifting while I'm less than halfway down the list of sending out assignee emails!

Anyhoo I got to watch Tom Brady eat poo poo and now I'll finish emailing the rest of you nerds over the next hour and a half, hopefully.

HootTheOwl posted:

Holiday cheer is on its way! I'll edit this post with tracking information or whatever.

No, don't do that! Please just hang on to your tracking info for your own records. I can't manage looking at 40 or 50 tracking numbers myself, and the tracking info includes origin and destination info that could be personally identifying, or at the very least, spoil the mystery of who sent a gift to whom.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 24, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All of the emails are sent! Everyone should have their Santees in their inboxes. Please email me directly if you didn't get your assignee, or if I hosed something up, which is very possible because I do it all the time!

Also,

Alright kids now it's time for
LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS!

Lightning bonus rounds are how you take part in the Trad Games Secret Santa thing after the deadline for the main round is passed. It's also how you can be greedy and exchange more than one present with your fellow goons!

Beginning today (November 23rd), and continuing until no later than December 12th, we will have a series of one or more extra bonus rounds and YOU can participate. The LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS work a lot like the main round. All of the rules apply except for the deadline for application. Re-read the rules in the OP just in case you forgot them.

OK so to sign up I post in the thread and send you an email?
Correct. You must do this even if you participated in the main round. Post in the thread. If you already participated in the main round you can link to your original post or just quote it to show your gift preferences. You must send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com as well; if you already sent one this year I don't need your address again, but I do need another email regardless. My response to that email is your only confirmation that you've successfully signed up.

What then?
I will end each LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND according to whichever of the following things happens first:
  • 8 people sign up
  • 7 days have passed and at least 3 people signed up
  • We reach December 12th

Once each round closes I'll randomize the participants in the round and you all exchange gifts. You immediately fire off a Trad Games Present at your Santee, and they do the same! And of course the instant one LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND ends, the next one begins.

What about international shipping? :ohdear:
You can still tell me you prefer not to ship internationally – if it's impossible for you, let me know and I'll try to make sure that doesn't happen. But if you live outside the US it's probably required to ship internationally. Bear in mind that you can always buy something online from a store that operates in your target country and thereby avoid expensive shipping costs. (You might have to pay a currency exchange fee but that is typically much less money.) If I get a pool that contains nobody else in your country and you said no thanks to international, I will contact you to check if you'd rather take a pass, before I do the matchings.

It's better though if LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND participants can all ship internationally. Remember, you can always just order something online from the destination country: you usually just need a credit card.

So then what's the shipping deadline?
Of course, as we close in on Christmas day, you will have less and less time in which to accomplish purchase, shipping, and delivery. You'll have to pick an appropriate delivery option and be certain whatever you're buying is either in your hands, or definitely in stock at the retailer of your choice. You are still supposed to ship your item absolutely no later than December 18th AND get your gift delivered to your Secret Santee by December 21st! This is part of the challenge! But it probably means that you won't have time to make a hand-made gift or wait for something that is out of stock to get restocked. Strongly consider ordering online from a major retailer with a strong reputation for shipping things immediately.

Will I get matched with someone I've gifted or been gifted by before?
Possibly. For the main round I do my absolute best to avoid this. But with limited goons, it's possible that the only way to be polite to the no-international-please people is to match you with someone you've gifted before. As always, you can give me a list of your mortal enemies and I won't match you with someone you despise.

ROUND ONE BEGINS NOW GO!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Target acquired. Holiday cheer pending.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cheer has been deployed with extreme holiday prejudice.

It's three separate things, but it looks like Jeff Bezos is going to personally divide it into multiple packages. :saddowns: Let this be a reminder to everyone to Just Post (tm) when you receive your stuff!

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Santees 1, 4, and 5 have had their presents ordered to be shipped directly to them for maximum holiday cheer!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Someone took down the youtube vid I always used for this, so I'll have to settle for: cheer deployed

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Gift sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
(Heard over the radio)

Black dog, black dog, this is green mamba, operation: Diamond Blancmange is go, With delivery to be sometime within the next 4 daycycles.