Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

owlhawk911 posted:

can we eat the mint stalks

You furrow your eyestalks in deep thought, but you're sure you've never experienced anything like this "eat" business the nelumoptera is thinking at you about. You have an urge to stay in view of those stars in the sky (or one or two big close ones, that'll work too), but that's about it.

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

regardless of which way we end up going i think we should playfully splash our new friend

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

BoldFrankensteinMir

The polls are closed!

You decide to ford the river and press North! What a brave little frontiersthing you are!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Update 4:

You move to cell G4: Rock Drop Falls. Music.

You take the nelumoptera up on its offer, insomuch as you join them in the river, where you are indeed a solid enough "rock-guy and all" to move slowly but steadily upstream. You have no interest, however, in consuming dead things, so with a playful splash goodbye you continue past your new friend as they chomp on carapaces contentedly. You press against the river, Northward.

You march slowly upstream for a while, powering through the silt with mineral determination, until the river suddenly becomes a lot harder to walk in. It gets much more vertical all at once, and also hard to see through the crash of the spraying water. Cascading down a high cliff is a rocky waterfall. Ultimately stymied in your efforts to climb it, you claw your way on to the sand of the East bank. Stones of all sizes, from boulders to pebbles, pepper the sand banks and stick out of the river's swirls like tiny islands in the foam.

As you climb into a grassy clearing between the cliffs and the trees, you see a dark cave in the cliff's face, which wheezes wind from below the stone-strewn surface. The grassy clearing continues to the East. Thick woods block any way past the West river bank.

Poll 4.1: To cave, or not to cave?

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

I am team cave, 100%

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
can we investigate the cave entrance? :ohdear: don't want to get too far from starlight and starve

rear end-penny posted:

I am team cave, 100%

but carefully...

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

can we investigate the cave entrance? :ohdear: don't want to get too far from starlight and starve

but carefully...

yeah toss something in first to see what happens

not a pebble though, be kind to pebbles

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Luvcow posted:

can we investigate the cave entrance? :ohdear:

Manifisto posted:

yeah toss something in first to see what happens

not a pebble though, be kind to pebbles

The cave's stalactite toothed maw drops quickly into an ink-black gullet, where a pebble, bouncing without provocation and entirely of its own convenient volition, skips down into the depths, and fades away before you hear any landing.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

The cave's stalactite toothed maw drops quickly into an ink-black gullet, where a pebble, bouncing without provocation and entirely of its own convenient volition, skips down into the depths, and fades away before you hear any landing.

lol I retract my vote

can I vote a second time to counteract it?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

can I vote a second time to counteract it?

Rules updated!

The Rules posted:

...your vote is final, though I guess you can cheat with a VPN or something if you really want to. Don't worry too much about your little alien lifeforms, all lifeforms eventually snuff it. It's what they see along the way that matters.

Sig by Heather Papps

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
Let's go east.

biosterous

can we grab a stone to bring with us as a friend/pet

gallery of sigs

he/him

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Welp I already voted cave so let's jump into the brink, friends

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

biosterous posted:

can we grab a stone to bring with us as a friend/pet

this but *approach*. it is rude to grab

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Ass-penny

Rarity posted:

Welp I already voted cave so let's jump into the brink, friends

We will die as we lived, in a cave, trying to learn Prepuce Repurposed's mom's phone number.

BoldFrankensteinMir

The polls are closed!

Ever Northward! You fear not, as you toddle your crystalline self into the cave. You've got some real stones, kid!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Update 5:

You are at cell G4: Rock Drop Falls. Music.

Your rocky little limbs slide down the steep incline of the cave, and you immediately feel bad about having entered. Literally, your insides feel much worse than they did a moment ago, when you were outside and exposed to the sky. But there's no turning back.

The cave is too dark to see anything but the faintest outlines, though your eyestalks do provide a 360° panorama of them. You begin to see familiar seeming shapes in the shadows, the craggy facets and chips and points of beings not unlike yourself, maybe? Hope drives you forward, but the terrible feeling inside gets worse. Your arm falls off. Then one eye.

The cave finally opens up again, to a large domed cavern, but alas, still no light. No stars in view, big or little, to power your crystalline body any further. You are sad momentarily, but not even this can stop such a brave little red speckled chelagypsk. You lived proudly, faced headwaters and reveled in the spray. With one last burst of your famous dynamism , you clamber up a heap in the middle of the cavern, pebbles of you plinking off in the exertion, just trying to reach one last high mark. You make it, just barely, before the inert rocks that were your body tumble across the heap, and are one with it. You have died.

Nothing stops a chelagypsk
It rolls its eyestalks at all risks
Be careful, speckled crystal crab
Or your pinch might outreach your grab

--

You are at cell F5: The Landing Site. Music.

You are awakened by a tremendous impact, as the orange striped egg you have napped inside all your short life strikes the ground of an unfamiliar world. Still whole and unharmed, the egg's shell sizzles in the smoldering crater it has created.

The fallen egg cracks as it cools, until the shell begins to come apart. Happy birthday!

Sitting in the center of a cobblestone roundabout, surrounded by ornate trees, you finally get a good look at yourself. You are...

Poll 5.1: Face
Poll 5.2: Body
Poll 5.3: Limbs

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

welp, die and learn I guess

owlhawk911

i'm too sad to vote rn :(

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god I'm sorry :cry:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Talkc

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Tried to vote, straw poll wont let me login on two different browsers. Rip little guy.

Barking Gecko

Talkc posted:

Tried to vote, straw poll wont let me login on two different browsers. Rip little guy.

The poll checks your IP address, so if you're on a home network, even moving to another device probably won't work.

Talkc

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
And out of the blue it works......... Beginning to believe my superstitious friend about pc's and tech. ITS ALL MAGIC.

biosterous

rip red friend

excited to meet orange friend

gallery of sigs

he/him

Talkc

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
I hope we get to eat something.

OOOH... what if we can taste.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
:cripes:

voted on new guy, sorry little buddy you will be remembered

Heather Papps

hello friend

i hope we can find our friends remains in the cave and bring it out into nourishing light

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I like this game

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Ass-penny

That was my b y'all, sorry. Here's hoping we can get more squares explored with our orange friend.

BoldFrankensteinMir

The polls are closed!

A bat-faced vegetable with flagella! Or, as you are more commonly known...

Sig by Heather Papps

owlhawk911

Heather Papps posted:

i hope we can find our friends remains in the cave and bring it out into nourishing light

see i was thinking this too until op described in devastating detail how we crumbled into a pile of inert rubble and became one with the earth

there's no coming back from that

BoldFrankensteinMir

Update 6:

You are at cell F5: The Landing Site. Music.

...an Orange Striped Convoptera! You are a vegetable creature with flagella and a bat-face. You instinctively groom your striped orange leaf-ears with the two long woody tendrils you walk on, and pick pollen boogers out of your enormous leaf-nose. Lookin' sharp!

You are standing on a cobblestone roundabout surrounding a smoldering crater, and itself surrounded by ornate trees.

Obvious exits are North, East, South AND West, OR you could follow the road East for two squares (to H5), or go East then South through the clearing (to G6).

Poll 6.1: Where to, mac?

Sig by Heather Papps

biosterous

with our big bat ears, it's probably not a good idea to visit the loud minty water friend! i'm voting west

gallery of sigs

he/him

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

that critter doesn't even have a shitter.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

BoldFrankensteinMir

Doctor Dogballs posted:

that critter doesn't even have a shitter.

While you clean yourself you take a quick inventory. As an ambulatory carnivorous plant you do have both a mouth (with four prominent fang-like trichomes) and a rudimentary cloaca on your tiny vegetable body, between and slightly behind where the flagella bifurcate. It's mostly for passing gas through, though. Your digestive enzymes do an excellent job of breaking everything else completely down, though in theory a particularly adventurous bug with the right kind of shell treatment might still pass through you unharmed...

Sig by Heather Papps

Barking Gecko

Let's examine our flagella. What can we do with them?
Does our bat-face give us any bat-like abilities, like echolocation?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Barking Gecko posted:

Let's examine our flagella. What can we do with them?

You have mighty vegetable flagella! Long reedy whip-vine appendages that can be stood and walked on, reached and grabbed with, and even carried by! As a carnivore you can use them to hunt for alive things and then make them dead, which is important to you, as is shoveling the dead things into your mouth, also a flagellum strong suit.

Alternatively, as a plant, burying your limbs in nutritious dirt for a while allows you to eat starlight with your leaves, especially from that really close star that pops up every dozen-or-so hours. It's a whole buffet!

Your flagella can be used to swim in calm waters, but you have too little mass to take on strong currents. And your limbs are, uh, kinda flammable, as is the rest of you so... there's that...

Barking Gecko posted:

Does our bat-face give us any bat-like abilities, like echolocation?

Although your bat eyes are of a middling quality (especially in heavy starlight where they drop to poor) and your bat nose is too specialized for olfactory sensing (it's too stuffed with pollen to smell anything, but at least it's your own), bat ears are the best of both worlds as far as sensory organs go, both highly sensitive and well protected. Hundreds of whisper-thin stamens erupting from your ear-leaf canals reach out to detect tiny vibrations but pull back responsively to shield against loud noises. You are thus able to hear exceptionally fine details over great distances, and yet also are immune to most sonic disturbances. Groovy!

In theory you might even be able to find your way in the dark with them using echolocation, but you've never tried before. You are all of five minutes old.

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

We should totally try that before we get rolling (walking).

>Close eyes and try different sounds we can make to see if our ears and brain can put together a understandable picture of the round about.

BoldFrankensteinMir

rear end-penny posted:

We should totally try that before we get rolling (walking).

>Close eyes and try different sounds we can make to see if our ears and brain can put together a understandable picture of the round about.

With your eyes closed, you emit high-pitched squeaks, and listen for them to come back. They do! In sharp detail even, and oh my is that crater smoldery and cratery, and aren't those trees ornate, even in sonar. It doesn't take long before you're echolocating around the roundabout like a champ!

Occasionally, in between your high-pitched squeaks, you also catch a bit of high-pitched screech that is intriguingly similar. It seems to be coming from the East...

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

poo poo I really need to learn to interact with stuff in our square before voting on movement.