Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

rear end-penny posted:

poo poo I really need to learn to interact with stuff in our square before voting on movement.

:hai:

can we try to call out "hello" or "are you friendly" to the other squeaking from the east?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

huh, i guess it might be safe to visit the loud friend after all! or at least, their loudness alone may not be as much of a problem.

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
I think it might be a good idea to ask about or examine things that are bold when we get new information.
If a thing can't be examined, I'm sure the GM will let us know.

Heather Papps

hello friend

investigate cloaca

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ass-penny

Heather Papps posted:

investigate cloaca

:popeye:

I'm gonna need a drink for the next update.

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC
Lets investigate the ornate trees, see what they're all about, and what's goin on around them.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Heather Papps posted:

investigate cloaca

Having probed your sensory organs and mouth, your tendrils move on to your tiny upper body's folds, your belly, and each other, then finally you probe your waste orifice. Always wait until last to do the waste orifice. Everything checks out!

You are now externally clean of dirt, eggshell bits, your own waste, or any other hatchling detritus. Lookin' sharp!

Luvcow posted:

can we try to call out "hello" or "are you friendly" to the other squeaking from the east?

An inquisitive squeak is, after a charged pause, met! That screech again, from the East, and its tone is unmistakable: 'Yes I am Here!'.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

The polls are closed!

You decide to mosey on West, pardner! Time to manifest your destiny, or whatever.

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

:f5:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Update 7:

Dead Hippie Ghost posted:

Lets investigate the ornate trees, see what they're all about, and what's goin on around them.

The trees around the roundabout seem to fall into two types.

The bright, smooth-trunked trees with nodules on top are poplicot trees. Their branches are tipped with fruit, the plant's eponymous poplicots, which drop copiously in all directions when the tree is feeling generous, which is often. If you were at all interested in eating plant material you'd consider poplicot trees a smorgasbord, but you're no cannibal. You tell it you appreciate the offer though.

The striped trees with the long pointed fronds beat you to your investigation; as you approach one, it introduces itself.

"Greetings. We are Arec".

You're a little surprised to receive conversational brainwaves from a tree, but not terribly so, you being a vegetable yourself and all. You make the usual introductions, and the tree replies:

"Greetings. We are Arec".

You attempt to strike up a more complicated conversation, with a couple different trees, but after the fifth or sixth 'Greetings. We are Arec' you realize there really aren't 'different' Arecs. There's just one, who says the one thing. But at least they/it are/is polite!

You decide you've had enough talking with trees, and being offered droppings as hors d’oeuvres, and head West.

You move to cell E5: Sylvan Speedway. Music.

You strut your flagella West on the cobblestone road. It goes straight West for a long time, walled on either side by poplicots and Arecs. You sprint a while, bouncing on your flagella at your top middling speed, just to feel the wind through your leaves. A good long stretch of road like this is just begging for it.

You bounce to a sudden stop as the hypnotic procession of trees is broken by a gruesome sight to your right. A wooden pole with signs is lodged into the ground between two trees. You are aghast, and stand gaping at the brutality of dead vegetable matter hobbled together into such an unnatural shape.

You finally tear your eyes away from the hideous thing, and can think for a moment. You can continue West past this ill omen, or retreat back East to the smoldering crater. The woods block your path North and South.

Oh, and there's one big blue eye staring at you from the tree directly above you, you just realized.

Poll 7.1: Roadblocked? Or not?

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

Say hello to the eye.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god go east go east :gonk:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Heather Papps

hello friend

can we investigate the eye at a distance?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

BoldFrankensteinMir

rear end-penny posted:

Say hello to the eye.

You greet the eye, and the dark blue creature it belongs to: a Navy Dsunglodyte perching on the poplicot branch. The cyclopean reptile's small leathery wings are tucked away as it clings to the tree with one wriggly fingered hand, while the other hand grips what appears to be a stick with a triangle of animal pelt trailing from the end. It waves the stick and pelt enthusiastically, and wobbles its crested head left and right in a playful manner.

"Are you a racer?" the dsunglodyte asks. It cocks its head, tucking one humanoid ear to literally look sideways at you.

"You don't look like a racer. Too slow! Too slow! But maybe! Even fast racers lose sometimes"

You find yourself nodding at the dsunglodyte's profound statement, you're guessing. At least it seems to be friendly!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

The polls are closed!

You summon your courage, avert your gaze and march West, right past the grisly crime-scene. Wood nailed to wood... how barbaric!

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

Can we read the sign before we leave this square?

BoldFrankensteinMir

rear end-penny posted:

Can we read the sign before we leave this square?

You can not stand to look too long at the vegetable bits, all pierced together and smeared with pigment. You just hope whoever did this is ashamed.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Update 8:

You move to cell D5: Rustic Runway. Music.

You beat flagella West, and the long cobblestone road goes on and on, straight through the woods as far as you can see ahead. The woods themselves eventually begin to give way, becoming thinner stands of trees, until a grassy clearing opens up to the North.

At the same time to the South the trees break more abruptly, where the road draws up to the shore of a large pond. It is surrounded by tall reeds with diamond-shaped heads. Atop the muck-obscured water a number of bright pink spirals float invitingly.

The road continues to continue on West some more. It's quite the trek!

Poll 8.1: Pasture, path or pond?

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

Investigate reeds and spirals.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

rear end-penny posted:

carefully...

:ohdear:

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Luvcow posted:

carefully...

:ohdear:

yeah, i don't trust those spirals at all

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

owlhawk911 posted:

Ass-penny

owlhawk911 posted:

This may surprise you but 84 percent of spirals I meet are very cool and they are usually not racist.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Friendship never cost anything. Wave your flagella and give your loudest greeting

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

BoldFrankensteinMir

rear end-penny posted:

The diamond-headed plants dotting the shores of the pond are rhizozars, tall segmented reeds with angled loops for heads, just the right size for little bugs to zip through. For a moment you are excited, perhaps the rhizozar is a carnivorous plant too! That'd be cool, even if they are an immobile- hey, nobody's perfect. But you realize after a moment of observation that no, the opening in the head of a rhizozar is not for food, it's too fuzzy, and the bugs that land in it are free to leave afterward, their legs caked with... oh dear. You apologize for staring and move on.

The spirals in the pond glisten in the big starlight, invitingly soft and lively looking. As you get close to the water's edge, they seem to approach it too, and by the time you see what they are connected to, you're almost on top of one: a frog-faced gelatenous gastropod, the Bubblegum Bufomyx, undulating with its mouth agape down in the pond's sandy bottom.

Rarity posted:

Friendship never cost anything. Wave your flagella and give your loudest greeting

As your waving flagellum brushes against it, the bufomyx's unfurled tongue recoils with a snap , whipping through the water and grass all around you like a sticky pink cyclone, grabbing hold of everything in its path!

Luckily your flagella are just as fast, and you are, barely, able to scramble back from the pond in time to avoid capture. You see a sizeable tongue-full of broken rhizozars and ripped-up grasses being dragged under the water instead. As you wait in vain for it to come back up again, you realize you're no bigger than that clump of plants. Even to your powerful ears everything sounds a little bit clearer in the silence after such a close call.

However, it does remind you that you haven't eaten in a while yourself, so you bury your limbs and absorb starlight for a while in the clearing on the North side of the cobblestone road. The bugs in the pond are not worth the trouble.

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

Mmm mmmm starlight, just like momma used to make.

BoldFrankensteinMir

The polls are closed!

Once you have your fill of big starlight (it's just everywhere at the moment, no need to be shy), you uproot yourself and continue West. What a long road!

Sig by Heather Papps

biosterous

we're gonna do it we're gonna find the black whip!

gallery of sigs

he/him

BoldFrankensteinMir

Update 9:

You move West, to cell C5: A Checkered Path. Music.

You continue to follow the cobblestone road West, convinced there must be something awesome at the end of such a long, straight stretch. Why else build it? And come to think of it, who built it? And how? Questions such as these roll around in your vegetable head as you walk, and the trees continue to thin until they're only a few small stands in open grass fields all around you. That's when you spot the banner.

A pair of upright logs (gruesome plant remains that they are, but at least they haven't had bits nailed back on them, blech) stand erect on opposite sides of the road, and between them is stretched a black and white animal pelt, not unlike the one you saw being waved by the dsunglodyte a few cells East of here, just bigger. Beneath the banner two creatures appear poised to start something, but they both abandon that posture upon seeing you on the road in front of them. They both seem annoyed.

"Uh hey, a little room please?" thinks the larger creature, a dark brown testudine mammal with compound eyes. The Chocolate Foltub wiggles its mandibles and slobbers at you aggressively, and drums the big claws on its long furry feet in an impatient motion.

"Can't you tell we're about to start!?" thinks the smaller creature, a pastel purple serpentine reptile with a triceratops face. It darts its tongue at you in a fashion that's curt even for a Lavender Chasmonaj, which is saying something.

Sensing your faux pas you bounce off the cobblestones to make way for the pair, but they've already broken their positions and gone back to stretching and preening. The foltub picks specks of dirt from its enormous brown shell and wiggles its legs while the chasmonaj turns corkscrews and squiggles. As they taunt each other you realize neither is wanting for confidence.

"You're certain to lose this time!" boasts the chasmonaj, but the foltud scoffs.

"Fast and steady..." the foltud starts, seemingly forgetting the rest of its colloquialism along the way.

"Hey you, orange thing" the chasmonaj thinks at you. "You look fast... ish. Fast enough anyway. Think you can race with us? First one to the other banner wins!"

"You mean crater" the foltud points out as it gnaws at its plates. "The other banner got destroyed, remember?"

"Oh yeah!" the chasmonaj rears back and bounces on its long slender body, waggling its hooded crest back and forth, as if sword-fighting imaginary foes with its horns. "Whatever, first to the smoldering crater wins."

The foltud and the chasmonaj seem eager to race off to the East, and have welcomed you to join! Alternatively, the road does continue past them Westward, where the grass ends and sand dunes begin. Or, the open plains stretch both North and South. Decisions decisions!

Poll 9.1: Challenge of the chasmonaj!

Sig by Heather Papps

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel the need, the need for speed!

Ass-penny

A (hopefully friendly) race sounds fun.

biosterous

a nice friendly race sounds fun :shobon:

gallery of sigs

he/him

BoldFrankensteinMir

The polls are closed!

You happily accept their challenge and line up for a race back to the crater!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 25, 2020

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

I am really enjoying the aesthetic of this cyoa, and thought I should pop in and say that, because I normally just lurk in cyoa’s.

Khanstant
do we have light-up sneakers to help us run faster or no?

Ass-penny

Khanstant posted:

do we have light-up sneakers to help us run faster or no?

Also, performance enhancing drugs.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

BoldFrankensteinMir

Update 10:

You are at cell C5: A Checkered Path. Music.

You take your position between your competitors at the startling line! What a great day for a race!

Three, two, one... and you're off! The foltud, having fast speed, swings its long furry legs and takes an immediate lead of one whole cell! You, the convoptera, only have middling speed, so you advance only one half-cell on your bouncing flagella, and the chasmonaj, with its slow wriggling serpentine body, gets caught up at the starting line and doesn't advance at all! Oh no!

Round I

The chasmonaj continues to flounder, and as you the convoptera look behind you to see what's up, you too fail to advance! The foltud meanwhile grows their lead by another half-cell, their heavy brown shell tottering back and forth, quickly disappearing towards the horizon!

Round II

But all is not lost for our stragglers! All three racers advance one half-cell. The race is on!

Round III

The chasmonaj and you the convoptera advance another half-cell as the foltud catches their breath, their early lead now narrowing.

Round IV

But the foltud isn't giving up that easily. It advances another half-cell while the other racers now catch their breaths!

Round V

The foltud continues to advance! The chasmonaj picks themselves up and catches up to you as you're still resting: you're now tied for second place!

Round VI

Oh no! You and the chasmonaj have become hopelessly tangled up in eachother and fail to advance! What a wreck! The foltud sails past the finish line and it's all over folks. The foltud wins!

You and the chasmonaj eventually disentangle yourselves and catch up to the foltud, who is scrambling around the smoldering crater doing a victory lap on the roundabout.

You are at cell F5: The Landing Site. Music.

"I told you!" the foltud thinks at you both. "But that was a good race anyway. I was a little worried in the middle there!"

The chasmonaj likewise congratulates you both on a race well run, and as you catch your breath you agree- it doesn't matter that you didn't win, you had a good time. And you're back home again! Still smoldering, just like you remember it.

The foltud clears its throat and thinks a short but still grand acceptance speech (or, thoughtwave) for its victory, and you and the chasmonaj politely hear (or, sense) them out. But then the foltud reaches into its shell, and presents itself with the trophy:

Your vegetable ears perk up quite a bit when you see the glassy black shard, sparkling in the sun as the foltud holds it up triumphantly. You've never seen anything like it before; it's as if there were stars inside the jagged piece of rock. The foltud tucks it back away, but you can't shake the feeling that such a starry rock could be put to better use than a simple foot-race trophy. Some day...

You are standing on a cobblestone roundabout that surrounds a smoldering crater. Your new racing buddies the chasmonaj and the foltud are already talking about racing back, so you could run again with them to the West, ending up at the checkered banner. Or, you could go East, from whence not long ago you heard a familiar kind of screeching. Or, you could explore the North or South roads, your call!

Poll 10.1: Race again, or explore sum-more?

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

Bummer about the race! As much as I'd like a rematch I think we should investigate the screeching east of us. We're so close to it now it seems foolish not to see what's up with it.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Stoner Sloth

rear end-penny posted:

Bummer about the race! As much as I'd like a rematch I think we should investigate the screeching east of us. We're so close to it now it seems foolish not to see what's up with it.

yeah! that was my thinking, plus it looks like these two are race regulars so maybe we can come back to race them again.

we should politely say our goodbyes for now to our new friends and go check the sound out!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

The polls are closed!

You wish your new friends well, but leave their company to head East, towards the mysterious screech. As you go, you hear them take off for yet another race! Perhaps you'll all meet again...

Sig by Heather Papps