Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

They're done. The only targets still responsive to the movement are video game developers.

Small studios only. Large studios get to hide behind either public good will or inertia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Neurolimal posted:

Everyone has a motive, unless that motive discredits a movement, it should be of no concern to the whole.

This is a really important point. "You're just doing this for [X]" is only a valid point if "doing this for [X]" actually impacts what they're saying and the truth of it. It's like folks complaining about good deeds being virtue signalling, or the people who say that altruism isn't real because people who are altruistic feel good from it- sure, you've got a point, but that point is only tangentially relevant (sorry) to the conversation and usually doesn't actually change the events that happened. It is, at best, a smear by association. Most of the folks claiming that a person is cynically appropriating a movement are doing so to direct hate at, and therefore silence, that person; most of the time their motives are considered beyond question.

As an example of real cynical appropriation, @lilmiquela- a virtual influencer cartoon character whose creators put out a video where "she" told "her" story of having been sexually abused? 100% a grift, no question, no reason to question it. She doesn't loving exist. Her creators are actively doing harm to #metoo by necessarily associating the movement with complete and obvious fabrication of events that didn't happen, by people who do not exist, blamed on other people who also do not exist. If her story is based on real events, those real events are now associated with a loving cartoon. The creators wanted to get in on the action of #metoo and made a cartoon about it to make their character seem more relatable and therefore drive more traffic, and therefore more brand deals, to their character.

Real human people who come forward are inevitably burning a vast amount of their reputation and good will in order to do so, and any cynicism directed toward their motives should keep that in mind.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 11, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Acerbatus posted:

I think people get too caught up in scoring points by throwing the bad guys in jail. Like yeah, that's ideal but ultimately even if it never managed to do that it's an important thing for survivors to see they aren't alone.

Something that the very public ditching of #metoo and #believewomen by prominent figures punches a hell of a hole in. "We are with you as long as you only talk about bad things done by the other team" was a kick in the gut to folks who felt a lot more comfortable coming forward for a hot minute there.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not, obviously - if the narrative you want to push is that #metoo was destroyed because prominent Democrats were targeted, you should probably consider that time a prominent Democrat was targeted and he was encouraged to step down by other Democrats and #metoo wasn't destroyed.

You should re-examine the reactions to the Al story if you think they didn't try.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crane Fist posted:

What? You're saying that because a thing didn't happen at first, but then later on it did, the thing did not happen? What on earth

I believe he's arguing that because the reaction didn't work following the first occurrence, it can't be considered a cause. Despite the wildly different circumstances and potential outcomes of the two cases.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think it is fair to say that it achieved nothing. And I think it is also unfair on the people who stepped forward and took risks to try and make it work to say that.

That it was attacked by a lovely political party the minute it was politically convenient is something all emancipatory movements go through. But I think the exercise will have shown a lot of people what can be achieved by self organization, and not all of them will drop that at the whim of the democratic party.

What we want, surely, is more of it, for it to continue unmoored from what some lovely political creeps think. Maybe it won't get there, but I think it is at the very least owed recognition for being an attempt at that. And I hope it will be remembered as contributing to women's emancipation in the future.

Yeah. The movement is still there, but the institutional support for the movement was thrown out as soon as Reade's story started to get too much traction. #metoo is still alive, for sure, it's just not going to be supported by mainstream Democrats for at least the next four years (and probably until Joe Biden is dead, at which point his crimes can be unsealed and discussed again) because it will be hurting their moral grounding, and it's never going to be supported by mainstream Republicans because they actively want all women and most men to be suffering more.

Democrats and Republicans both threw #metoo under the bus. It is the responsibility of every principled person to not let that be their excuse to do the same.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

The "disingenuous politics class" isn't on the forums and that hostility is why this is a dead thread.

It absolutely is, and I've got the avatar history to prove it- unless you'd like to define what you mean when you so aggressively declare that they're not on the forums.

The movement isn't dead, it's just going to be facing genuine opposition from Democrats and Republicans at once, rather than having the tacit enemy of my enemy approval from the Dems it enjoyed during the Trump years.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

Probably just letting it lie fallow until someone who is involved in the movement comes along and wants to talk about it. There seems to be hostility itt to #metoo, the idea that it's astroturfed. I don't know how else to describe the idea that there's a disingenuous politics class on SA.

Can we stop using this phrase? I ask this because, like "deceptively," it can mean one of two completely opposing things depending on who is saying it and that meaning is not conveyed to the reader. You could mean people who pretend to support #metoo or people who pretend to oppose #metoo and you would be using exactly the same words to describe both groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'm fine with that. Neither of those two groups post on SA.

There are plenty of folks who publicly and loudly pretend to support #metoo but, whenever someone they like is the focus, immediately start Just Asking Questions and looking for literally any excuse for why this time they don't need to believe the victims.

I'm not talking about Biden, by the way; I'm talking about folks in the games industry and, more notably, secondary industries around the games industry like streamers, pro players, and critics.