Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Relevant Tangent posted:

The idea that the Democrats control #metoo is really dumb and accepting of a conservative framing of the movement. When I mentioned looking for it I mean it's like any other movement, you do in fact have to go looking for them if you want information about them.

I assume that the people who think it's dead think that because they either want it dead or have willfully blinded themselves to it not being dead.

it's not that they 'control' it but of the two major political parties we've gone from one saying metoo has gone too far and maybe folks need to chill out and the other saying no we should believe victims and listen to their stories to...now both parties doing it and that's pretty fuckin bad!

Also in this case 'the democrats' includes the media apparatuses who rallied around calling Joe Biden's victim either a literal Russian agent or just burying and ignoring her entirely and that's no good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what is this? #metoo gained traction because it spoke to the direct experience of likely a majority of women (and a huge number of men and other folks as well). Idk how it could be realistically suggested that it was some politically convenient hit job when there's so much more evidence that it came about naturally in response to peoples' experience.

well see the problem is 'me too' as a social movement actually began with a black community organizer way back in MYSPACE focusing on empathy and support networks of abuse survivors and all but that somehow never got major play despite being pretty big on what was social media at the time.

This isn't saying it was a 'political hit job' but...come on you can't seriously deny that the fact that we finally decided it was bad to have a rapist president wasn't a major factor in why it took off in '17 with things like the women's march and all to build off.

Like, you can just see it, how many people who supported 'believe women' are STILL defenders of Clinton, not to mention the treatment of Reade and all. Hell look at how many are still mad about AL FRANKIN getting the mildest punishment ever for getting busted groping unconscious women. The standard is pretty obvious, it's not inherently a partisan thing, I mean Weinstein is who started the '17 rebirth of this and he's a huge democrat fundraiser and all, but it's a thing about how much pre-existing virtue the accused has among the media class and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Not that Gillibrand like, Would Have Won, but it was openly acknowledged that she was persona non grata among the big wigs of the Democratic party because she had the absolute gall to take a principled stand against sexual assault by answering in the affirmative when asked if Bill Clinton should have resigned. And that's when Democrats and the liberal media were still pretending to care about abused women.

yea I'm not gonna pretend 'kneecaped the NRA's favorite dem in her state' is some grand injustice in the long term but it's so wild that she went from 'wow maybe she has a shot' to a literal joke because she said that the dude who got busted groping women should be punished and the rapist who was president (the other one not this one, drat we keep doing this!) should have resigned??? Not the gun poo poo or the terrible policy stuff????