Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

I don't think it's done and the people who were using it as a convenient way to snipe at their enemies are scum who're going to find out very quickly that it's not a movement that goes away.

Meanwhile, when people try to cynically appropriate #metoo, call them shitters and keep pushing for institutional change.

I'm intrigued by this. Has something specific happened recently that you are referring to, or is this just a general statement?

If its the latter: personally, I dont think anyone should be turned away in the struggle to get victims of abuse heard. Everyone has a motive, unless that motive discredits a movement, it should be of no concern to the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
#metoo has made a lot of inroads in several industries, which is great. It still has, and will probably continue to have, greatly diminished efficiacy against politicians, which is awful.

As loathe as I am of the concept, I think #metoo needs to achieve a level of bipartisanship respect to get any further when it comes to politics, so that it gets harder for either 'side' to close ranks around someone.

Also, for all the talk of how Tarana Burke has been unduly sidelined in the eyes of the public in favor of loathsome ex-actor of a buffy ripoff Alyssa Milano, her reaction towards the Tara Reade case, I feel, showed her just as mealy mouthed and noncomittal as Milano when it comes to powerful figures that she knows will be in charge:

https://newsone.com/3934435/metoo-founder-tarana-burke-addresses-joe-biden-sexual-assault-allegation/