Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

I liked the first Inazuma patch, but I don't think I enjoyed the last year nearly as much as the first year. Primarily excited for the dendro stuff rather than Sumeru since the last few open world patches have been more annoying than interesting and the story isn't really doing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the inazuma plot felt very limited by the setting, since it was such a closed off country all you can really do is raiden stuff or stuff with the local youkai. sumeru is just there so it should be easier to loop in a broader cast or stuff from upcoming countries.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

gandlethorpe posted:

They've been pretty good with puzzle design lately, but I am a little worried about feeling restricted in team comps with all the Dendro stuff that needs to be activated by Electro/Pyro. I already reflexively cringe whenever I see torches.

The extra team slots should help to some extent

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm parking Kazuha at the top of the exterior of the Chasm and looking east.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Let me quickswap teams without menuing for the love of god

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The biggest problem Inazuma has for a player coming in outside of its release cycle is how much of the islands are gated behind story content and not in a clear way. It made sense when characters were added with the different islands, but it sucks now to get cool toys you can't play past level 20 for dozens of hours, and I was halfway through Liayan when I came back during the Itto banner.

If I'd just started and gotten my Inazuma characters, so only had them and the freebies I probably wpuls have quit.
Storywise my biggest complaints about Inazuma so far are the way the traveler goes from just a blank canvas helper to reluctant and almost immediately back to helping everyone feels kinda jarring. Especially since in context you go from "Sure Beido I'll beat up strangers for your amusement just to ride on your boat"
to "sucks to be you, yeah you did just help me, but your broken country aint my problem, " in the span of one boat ride.
Also because the story isn't drawn out over a year, it feels weird that I stumbled from being selfish to Ayaka's only friend in like an hour.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Nyoro posted:

Let me quickswap teams without menuing for the love of god

They almost definitely won't, since that screen's to hide the loading. But it would be very nice if I could put a team on the quickwheel so I could swap over to a set of archers for solving switches and then swap back to the team I actually want to use.

Hell, there'd even be a point to the quickwheel on non-playstations then!

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Give the traveler the ability to switch elements on the fly like in the cutscenes imo :getin:

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Endorph posted:

the inazuma plot felt very limited by the setting, since it was such a closed off country all you can really do is raiden stuff or stuff with the local youkai. sumeru is just there so it should be easier to loop in a broader cast or stuff from upcoming countries.

I thought the story coulda worked totally fine. It just needed a lot more meat on the plot bones, and also for some characters to be less stupid. I don't play other gacha so I can't compare, but it may just be a limitation of the game's structure?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Zenostein posted:

They almost definitely won't, since that screen's to hide the loading.

Is it really? In that case wouldn't the artificial delay be after deploying the new team, not after the command to open the menu? Otherwise how would it know what to load?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If the team screen needed to load, the character menu would need to load too. That's not at all the reason for it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Redmark posted:

Is it really? In that case wouldn't the artificial delay be after deploying the new team, not after the command to open the menu? Otherwise how would it know what to load?

If you play on a playstation (or probably from an external hd or something) you'd notice the rather long delay between hitting the deploy button and being able to do anything like exit. So if it just swapped on the overworld you'd be sitting there staring at nothing while it loads the four models and they pop into existence. I assume they really don't want you seeing that, or sitting there wondering if your router exploded or something. Opening the menu (deploy screen) is so you're looking at something other than the overworld while it loads your requested dudes.

There's also a weird situation I ran into once, where someone was dead and it refused to load a team because the dead person was in slot one or something? It was a while back so I don't really remember the exact details. But there's probably something to prevent you from loading a team of corpses, and it gives you an unhelpful error message. I suppose there's nothing preventing them from popping that if you were to press some keys to swap to team 2 and it couldn't (like if you try to switch to a tall character while you're in a little cave or something), but it's probably neater (and easier to read) on a screen they can guarantee the color/lighting of.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Traveller posted:

Give the traveler the ability to switch elements on the fly like in the cutscenes imo :getin:

At the very least in a menu like team deployment. I get why they don't want to let 1 character basically trigger any elemental proc by themselves, but it's frustrating to have to run back and swap at shrines. Especially since the game doesn't guarantee you a character of each element, so you can wind up needing anemo or geo traveler for puzzles, but want another one for your combat party.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I dislike so much about Inazuma. It's gross and stinky and everything sucks, the towns in Watatsumi and the main island are complete dumps and the two nice environments (raiden castle and kokomi palace) are never used. Serai is an actual hellscape, etc. But despite this the last year in general was really freaking good. If we see the same thing this year in a region that isn't disgusting I will be very happy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MoonCrab posted:

I thought the story coulda worked totally fine. It just needed a lot more meat on the plot bones, and also for some characters to be less stupid. I don't play other gacha so I can't compare, but it may just be a limitation of the game's structure?
its not so much the gacha structure as it that they were goign through covid hell and genshin is a full 3d game so they have to actually, show things happening.

like fate/grand order uses a visual novel format so they can portray a 3-way war with a ton of badass fight scenes with just dialog and some CGs, genshin cant really portray a war even when its trying to because they only have the budget for a single full cg cutscene and then the rest of the game is just everyone standing in a circle talking. fgo can just use narration and a single far shot of the troops to 'show' a war, but genshin cant do that.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

If the team screen needed to load, the character menu would need to load too. That's not at all the reason for it.

The real reason is probably that Unity sucks poo poo, because Unity absolutely sucks poo poo at this kind of thing.

Kale
May 14, 2010

IMO the Inazuma Arc wasnt really about the war but reconciling Raidens vision for the country over the course of the archon and her character quests and how to best achieve her ideal of eternity. The war sort of pertains more to the greater Fatui plotline and their scheming to undermine the nations and was deemed largely inconsequential to her concerns by Raiden for the most part. Heck if she was particularly concerned with it it wouldn't be much of a war anymore because its all but stated that 1 Raiden Shogun vs the entirety of Watatsumi's forces is a 100% win for Narukami easy.

We also kind of only get into Inazuma after most of the poo poo has already hit the fan and hosed up the environment so there only ends up being time to see one big skirmish before Yae hatches her plan to pull Ei's head out of her proverbial rear end even just a little figuring the traveler is just about the only one that could pull such a thing off. This has the effect of satisfying Watatsumi's grievance with the Vision Hunt Decree being rescinded thus ending their conflict with Narukami Island. Kokomis character quest sort of handles the loose ends from the conflict and the Fatui trying to start poo poo up again since its her war really, not the archons. That's how I see it at least.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 24, 2022

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So, Tighnari is probably a hard pass, no?

Considering they are moving him over to the standard banner, one might assume his relative power level will be more inline with the other standard banner characters (but probably crept slightly?), and a bit of a waste to roll on while he is the featured character. I want Fischl constellations, and I am at 1 pity with 200 wishes.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
^^^
:lmao: exactly. "Oh the fatui tricked me into oppressing my own people, woe is me"

Kale posted:

IMO the Inazuma Arc wasnt really about the war but reconciling Raidens vision for the country over the course of the archon and her character quests and how to best achieve her ideal of eternity. The war sort of pertains more to the greater Fatui plotline and their scheming to undermine the nations and was deemed largely inconsequential to her concerns by Raiden for the most part. Heck if she was particularly concerned with it it wouldn't be much of a war anymore because its all but stated that 1 Raiden Shogun vs the entirety of Watatsumi's forces is a 100% win for Narukami easy.

We also kind of only get into Inazuma after most of the poo poo has already hit the fan and hosed up the environment so there only ends up being time to see one big skirmish before Yae hatches her plan to pull Ei's head out of her proverbial rear end even just a little figuring the traveler is just about the only one that could pull such a thing off. This has the effect of satisfying Watatsumi's grievance with the Vision Hunt Decree being rescinded thus ending their conflict with Narukami Island. Kokomis character quest sort of handles the loose ends from the conflict and the Fatui trying to start poo poo up again since its her war really, not the archons. That's how I see it at least.
Ei made the shogun puppet so everything it does falls on Ei. Instead she offers up non-apologies for what happened. Also being locked in a thousand year battle with your own creation is not a redemption arc. All she does is re-assert control and promise to be different, but she isn't different. A redemption arc would be like if she worked to help undo the harm caused by the vision hunt decree. That would be admitting fault and working on doing better.

Zhongli just doesn't give a poo poo anymore. Venti is a flawed character who does his best. Raiden is your typical upper management who doesn't take responsibility because the vision hunt decree isn't what she *really* wanted.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

BabyRyoga posted:

Considering they are moving him over to the standard banner, one might assume his relative power level will be more inline with the other standard banner characters (but probably crept slightly?), and a bit of a waste to roll on while he is the featured character. I want Fischl constellations, and I am at 1 pity with 200 wishes.

If you want Tighnari his feature banner is the best time to try to get him. Your odds are horrendous on the standard due to no actual pity and a large pool of characters. No better time than now since the odds of him getting featured again in the future are virtually non-existent.

As for his power level, no way to really tell until the patch is live and people have actually gotten to build him up and test him out in actual live server conditions.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

A certain Rosalyn lady might have taken up issue with that first panel :ssh:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If you want Tighnari his feature banner is the best time to try to get him. Your odds are horrendous on the standard due to no actual pity and a large pool of characters. No better time than now since the odds of him getting featured again in the future are virtually non-existent.

As for his power level, no way to really tell until the patch is live and people have actually gotten to build him up and test him out in actual live server conditions.

I also assume that him being on the standard banner means he will be on every event banner going forward upon losing the 50/50, so it seems like given a year or so, everyone who plays regularly will probably pull him.

Then again, I still don't have Mona.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Tighnari is like Qiqi, a super nice friend who can help me find regional specialties and grow my team more easily. I will be pulling for the passive ability, though I’ll still be holding onto my 180 wish archon guarantee.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Wait. No pity on the standard? I thought the pity counter applied to everything but the weapons banner. So there's no point juggling standard pools to also beef up my pity pull or for that matter avoiding the standard if I'm on a streak of no 5 stars to avoid resetting it with a roll on the bad pool?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

Wait. No pity on the standard? I thought the pity counter applied to everything but the weapons banner. So there's no point juggling standard pools to also beef up my pity pull or for that matter avoiding the standard if I'm on a streak of no 5 stars to avoid resetting it with a roll on the bad pool?

There is a form of pity on the standard banner but by all appearances it doesn't weight towards anything in particular beyond maybe trying to equalize how much you get characters vs weapons.

AugustusLove
Mar 27, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

There is pity on the standard banner, but by 90 rolls, it will be a either a random 5-star character or 5-star weapon. You are not guaranteed a specific character or weapon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I would argue swap Venti and Zhongli for overall lore, but for the Archon quests that's accurate.

Also I'm a fairly newish player, and for what it's worth I loved Inazuma and the story overall. Like Inazuma was insanely hostile, but it fit the story even if the jump in mob difficulty combined with the world also trying to kill you was a bit much. But now I've stabilized again and it's been great. I even managed to do most of the quests that fix the islands issues before Sumeru! I'm surprised to hear people had a ton of issues with the story, but I guess that's the benefit of playing through it all at once instead of piecemeal?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sanctum posted:

^^^
:lmao: exactly. "Oh the fatui tricked me into oppressing my own people, woe is me"

Ei made the shogun puppet so everything it does falls on Ei. Instead she offers up non-apologies for what happened. Also being locked in a thousand year battle with your own creation is not a redemption arc. All she does is re-assert control and promise to be different, but she isn't different. A redemption arc would be like if she worked to help undo the harm caused by the vision hunt decree. That would be admitting fault and working on doing better.

Zhongli just doesn't give a poo poo anymore. Venti is a flawed character who does his best. Raiden is your typical upper management who doesn't take responsibility because the vision hunt decree isn't what she *really* wanted.

Venti saw some horrible poo poo and just wants to forget that he did, Zhongli's old and tired and doesn't want to deal with anything anymore, and Ei was so traumatized by her sister's death that she escaped into her inner bubble and let a puppet run things in her place to the point where it almost destroyed her nation. There's not a ton of overarching themes in Genshin, but one of the few consistent ones is that being an Archon sucks.

Really looking forward to seeing how hosed up the Dendro Archon is!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Coolness Averted posted:

AugustusLove posted:

There is pity on the standard banner, but by 90 rolls, it will be a either a random 5-star character or 5-star weapon. You are not guaranteed a specific character or weapon.

Yeah this, I just phrased it vaguely. You can't actually target anything on the standard banner in the same way you can an event banner.

Also each banner has it's own pity counter, so pulling on standard does absolutely nothing to help you in targeting event banner characters. Conventional wisdom is to just not touch the standard banner outside of the free wishes you get from character ascension, monthly shop reset, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive been playing since launch, have bought welkin about 14 times, am currently at literally 0 primos, have done pretty much every event, sidequest, and exploration thing. that is probably close to 1000 rolls. the only limited characters i do not have are shenhe, xiao, and itto. i still do not have a single copy of diluc.

if you want tighnari, roll for him now.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BabyRyoga posted:

on paper his damage is apparently not like hu tao levels of bonkers dps but already numbers-wise seems to be on par with national if not higher, but this is if you have him paired with yae and another electro like fischl or kuki. he isn't the next most busted dps to exist but he's absolutely going to be up there unless something in his kit that doesn't translate in numbers is going to hurt his usefulness.

most people who've played since launch but arent a whale most likely have at least one gen pool 5* they don't have. for example, mine is keqing. i instead have gotten dupes of every other general pool unit. but not keqing. this is likely the only time he'll ever be rate up again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck his c1 is pretty good (15% crit rate for his charged attacks) so even if you get spooked by him later down the road if you like him you'd still be getting a pretty decent benefit from it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

honestly its kinda funny how yae fixes the one big issue people have with him (that he's more single-target oriented like yoi) because the reactions will help mitigate that considerably :v:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm a 2022 player and I have c3 Qiqi but no Jean or Diluc :shepicide:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I would love a Jean banner because she's the standard character I want the most, and due to desire sensor, I will never get her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

I would love a Jean banner because she's the standard character I want the most, and due to desire sensor, I will never get her.

they should put a standard 5* selector in paimon's bargains for like 200 starglitter. i have all the launch 4*s at the cons i care about for them so id gladly save for that.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Sanctum posted:

^^^

This is sort of how I see it. No it's not a redemption arc, it's a reconciling and updating her views on what striving for a nation based on the concept of eternity is supposed to entail in a gnostic philosophic sort of sense after being shown the power of the combined visions of her nations people through the duel with the traveler. Ei is a quasi-immortal deity so concepts of right or wrong differ from that of what humans might consider right or wrong. For her "right" may entail something like preserving her essence against erosion by transferring her body to a puppet because then she could be around to act as the archon of Inazuma, repel would be invaders and ensure that she's around to enact her vision the way she figures it is meant to be. She's kind of selfish single-minded personality for much of the story arc up until probably her 2nd character quest until she actually starts to look up and consider the average Inazuman's point of view and has a bit of a heel-realization moment that she's dishonored the memory of those that fought for her and her ideal in a sense and seems to regret that and want to try a new approach finally, but yeah it's not really a redemption arc so much as a reconciliation arc since there's nobody really holding her accountable anyway. Top to Bottom throughout Inazuma everyone seems to love the poo poo out of her basically and that's that, they just concerned when it comes to things like the Vision Hunt decree and with good cause since it turns out to be the result of Fatui machinations and regrettable negligence on Ei's part since she's too busy thinking single mindedly for the last 500 years about "Eternity or bust".

Basically she has a very stubborn version of Zhongli's arc sort of, where he's ready to turn governance and control of Liyue's destiny and defense over to Ninguang and the people because he finally feels they are ready even if some of them aren't convinced they are yet, and has a crafty scheme to achieve this, whereas Ei it kind of has to be proven through force and a little outside intervention that there's other things she ought to be considering. The way I see it Venti turned control over to the people eons ago, though it kind of backfired at first and he had to come back and help set things right, Zhongli does it willingly albeit over the course of events we take part in, and Raiden is kind of forced into it. There's definitely a running them of varying political ideologies of the nations archons and revolution in the Archon Quest narratives with the traveler showing up at a pivotal period in their history and playing a key part in altering the destiny of the given nation forever.
It'll happen again with Sumeru in it's own way for sure where this time the governing ideology is based around wisdom by the sounds of it.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 24, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I paid real monies for primos in addition to buying the welkins. Have 0 Dilucs. The RNG can just screw you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

every preview makes it sound like Kusanali does not feel she is living up to her predecessor and I hope we can cheer the radish up