Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
In a decision that was made easier by booze, I decided to level up Diona despite both my lacking a sac bow and my insistence that I'd wait for more data on her. Having the shield and an ice user, on its own, is huge value. It's a shame about the split HP/ATK scaling because she'd probably be great for adding a little dps in between the shields and ults. When I replace Bei with Fish I expect even better things to happen. For bonus points I'm also running Barbara, which turns Diona's ult into a fast full heal on the entire group.

Is AR30-35 the first real big slog of the game? There's around 50 *oculi left to collect and probably hundreds of chests but I've gunned it through all the available side quests and at this point I'm just kind of futzing around doing daily/weekly stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

UltraRed posted:

Why do we have this poo poo in the game? It doesn't make me feel smart or clever and just wastes everyone's time.

It's a shame thread titles can't be huge.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I'd be mad that I destroyed my pity on a casual boredom pull and got Childe, but then I pulled again and got Fischl so the world is right again.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

nightwisher posted:

Good news! Fischl's gonna be free very shortly :v:

I'll take a C1 of a permanent member of my team any day. Unfortunately I planned on farming the upgrade mats for Rust on Monday, so until then she just gets popped out for bird. I was just trying to crank the pity counter a bit so I can nab Xian in January.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Diona is growing on me. Yes, I would drop her in a heartbeat for Qiqi, but the shield and freeze versus hydro is definitely filling a space I needed. It's a shame they split her scaling because choosing between healing/shields and damage on a support is going to lead to an obvious conclusion.

RareAcumen posted:

Despite being at WL3 I still have no idea what I'm doing. How should I be leveling people up? Is it just doing those leylines for the cheap books and just using hundreds of them and the other one leyline for money? I don't know if there's a source of the purple ones. And I think this recent update just made the mystic ore actually show up in the wild too.

It depends on your team. You'll generally have one big dick dps character and three people for buffing/reactions/burst damage/keeping that character alive. Keep that dps character (and their weapon and talents) maxed as a priority, then supplement that with leveling whomever in your team can provide the most benefit. I'm at AR32 and I'm already set to max level/skill two of my team on ascension. If you've been trying to level everyone... that's the trap.

quote:

2) I tried Beidou out on the test run thing and wow, that lady's combo just goes all over huh?

Beidou is her counter and... that's it. You perfect counter stuff, do some decent aoe damage, then swap out to someone who can play until her cooldown is up.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Me: Jesus 33 is going to take me a month to get through this is hell.
This thread: Be careful of leveling to 40 too fast!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

That tier list should be saved to be used as an argument against tier lists.

zgrowler2 posted:

loving hell how did people pull Bennett to get him to c1? I'm having to buy his c0 from the shop and yet I had a Ningguang c3 before she was a rateup

It does kind of feel like a character everyone but me has. I guess if I'd started a month earlier I could just buy him, but meh. Given who has appeared so far I'm praying and saving for a Xiao/Bennet banner in January.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

No Wave posted:

It's fine making and using tier lists (especially tier lists by role) if you go to the effort of understanding why each character is where they are.

If you already know that, then there's no point in you reading lists. :v:

This game in particular would require a mountain of conditionals to define anyone. Unless you're turbowhaling you don't get to pick your team anyway. The guy running a Chongyun carry thinks XQ is S tier and my XQ is covered in dust. I'm sure for a lot of people Fischl is warming the bench but I was super stoked to pull her.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Everyone is talking about the payoff in books and stuff and I'm thinking: wouldn't you just spend as much as you can on crowns, given the limited time nature of the event?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

kater posted:

I actually strongly disagree? Like you want to wait months to pull your first five star?

If we're talking someone brand new, and we're optimizing for the least sadness, you're probably rerolling until you either get a 5* carry or you luck out into an extremely good 4* team to begin with. At that point you want X and some random dupe of Y doesn't matter. I concede that if you're invested in no rerolls and going in 100% random then waiting loses a lot of its appeal, but that's not really where the advice was aimed.

I mean I'm not saving 28800 gems just to 100% pull a banner 5*, but saving up a few months worth of welkin+bp will give me a reasonable shot at Xiao or Bennet, whenever the hell they show up. There's a middle ground between the two extremes of suffering for a year to get a 5* and wishing the second you get the currency.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also needed to add that tier lists are dumb. I'm maining Beidou and stomping everything at WL5.

Tier lists are dumb but they're only destructive because idiots interpret the line between useful and useless as being just underneath the top tier. Good idea if you're playing a competitive fighting game for real money, bad idea in a gacha game where you'll never get Keqing and refuse to listen to reason. Then you get dumb poo poo like Keqing being underneath Childe for some reason and suddenly one of the absolute best dps carries in the game is declared worthless.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Klee is good, and while the effort involved in canceling or not is a personal call, that effort doesn't have a money/time component. Throwing Keqing in the closet (along with :coolfish: and loving Razor?!?) while you endlessly roll for Childe and Xingqui is batshit insane... but totally justified because herpderp S tier.

Trying to find objective logic in that tier list breaks my brain. Aside from "Childe works with Xiangling and Xiangling is free" the only logical way thing I could come up with is (assuming you have Bennet) the Bennet boost doesn't apply to Superconduct/Overload. So if you want youtube-worthy crits you need Vaporize or Melt. That doesn't really explain Xingqui, I guess.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It's just so weird. Like, I get Xingqui, and I get the rationale that Vaporize doesn't toss enemies like Overload does... but is a +50% Vaporize just shredding in a way Overload doesn't? There's a large fixation on Water/Fire at the top and I feel like I'm not getting some endgame hot tips here.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Muchos gracias to above posters!

Yeah the pyro side I got, given Diluc is my carry, but the hydro stuff kind of threw me for a loop. I'm guessing 5k Overloads on 4+ enemies is good but you don't get to make a youtube video without 300k crits that a perfect Bennet+Vaporize(Water) or Bennet+Melt(Fire) will get you. If anything that makes me want to try out a Diluc/Bennet/XQ/Diona team. Granted I'd need both a sac sword and sac bow to make that group sing, but I roll so many 4* weapons that shouldn't be hard. :v:

If I ever get a goddamn Bennet. :argh:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

They could have dialed back the cutesy and upped the naive-child-with-explosive-powers thing with Klee in the story quest and it would have been better. I hope if there's a Diona character quest it's revealed she's just short and loving hates Diluc. I will be completing the quest as Diluc.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Oh hey, the event went live while I was sitting there afk without a patch or massive server downtime. I didn't even know that was possible for a game.

Edit: This Immernactreich will last a thousand years with ruler Oz, along with Princess Fischl who is only briefly seen on the battlefield.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 16, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like the elemental crystals are up to 150 and the crown/books are "Limited Only"... which I'm guessing means one.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I figured there must be more than what I found, and casual googling revealed that. I wish it had doled out some AR exp, though, since I'm trudging towards 35.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

My final 4* pity on this banner before the big saveup starts was a C1 Diona. I'll take it.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah I love Childe. :v:

Childe is fine! You just need C1 and a specific 5* weapon...

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Really frustrating when you get a five star (Childe) but you don't have the xp resources to get them to level 70, and are hesitant to allocate resources to them.

I mean lack of resources sucks regardless, but I feel like Childe is the first carry I'd ever question. No one asks if you should get Keqing/Klee/Diluc to 70 unless you've already got solid abyss-clearing teams nailed down.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

You got the guy who is on a very small list of contenders for best carry in the game. Might as well delete your account with all that cursed bad luck.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Magus42 posted:

162 shards, day 1 complete; I hope the shard farming doesn't stay the whole way through because it takes forever x.x

Literally 34 minutes before this became available I was wondering wtf everyone was on until I realized there are quests and then there's also three more quests if you press down on the dpad. Scrambled to get those, found the last fragment (that weirdly didn't show on minimap last night) and was at 162 before the timer. Why there are three quests visible and you have to hit a button to get the other three quests... is a decision for the people who made up this control scheme to begin with.

Edit: All this flurry of stuff and dailies made me hit 35. Now begins the bigger grind.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 17, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

facepalmolive posted:

The funny thing here is that everyone knows by now that Xingqiu is 'top tier support'. But for as much as we've been making GBS threads on tier lists, I don't think most of us understand why he's top-tier (FWIW, I'm not confident I do, either).

I don't mean to cut your post short, but it's appreciated because the numbers are extremely my thing. I'd already heard the theories about strong vs weak statuses. The tipping point that explained it most was that Vaporize and Melt scale with the stuff you're stacking (Crit and Atk%) whereas the Superconduct/Overload number scale with level that you can't really "stack". It's not so far-fetched that non-scaling abilities dominate the early game while scaling abilities take over late game, but that's just not explained in plain English in most videos.

I don't have the artifacts and sac sword to make XQ's ult come back fast currently but I'll definitely be giving him a shot in the future. The problem I had was outside Jinjinx's video having a large bias against Overload knockback (even if that's valid) it hasn't been explained anywhere. The short, short version is that Vaporize/Melt scale with your damage going up while Overload/Superconduct scale with damage you won't be stacking. It's a pretty simple concept that gets left out in the drive for youtube hits.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

facepalmolive posted:

It definitely seems like Overload is meant to be more of a 'utility' reaction (as Superconduct is), in that helps break shields and interrupts/knocks things back (though some would call this an anti-utility). So I think it makes sense that it was intended to do less damage than the pure DPS reactions.

The XQ thing in particular goes even deeper than Overload vs Vaporize. Oz only procs electro so fast and since I didn't whaaaaale for C6 Fischl (which in theory would get me a 1:1 comparison with XQ's ult in terms of procs) the majority of my hits are just fire. Worse, depending on timing/distance some of those big overloads I might have triggered will be triggered by the bird proccing off my fire damage. It might be a significant increase in damage, at a certain point, to switch over even without a sac sword but the numbers are so tiny and go by so fast I can't tell you what that point will be. All I have now is an anecdotal "If Barb's aura is up then fights go way faster".

There's also the weird case of Diluc, where your EM is (relatively) low but your Pyro damage is super high but you're using the witch set and that boosts overload more than vaporize but you activate pyro so fast that XQ's ult is the only thing that can keep up but but but...

This is the point where my eyes glaze over so I just google for the crazies who have spent hundreds of hours testing, except in this case someone would have to spend tens of thousands to test all the variables in the first place.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hm, I have a decision to make on wishes. Do I continue pulling on this one to try to nab Diona who would pair well with Razor (and potentially Diluc??) or do I save up for Zhongli's banner and hope for Popsicle Boy as my cryo unit.

If you have Razor and Diluc you already have a very good and an extremely good carry, so Popsicle would just get swapped in to press a button. He'd probably work ok in a melt comp with Diluc. Diona is a pretty good support, especially of you have sac bow, so there's that. Diona was all I wanted from this banner so I'm a little biased, but when you're rolling with papa pyro all you really need are backup dancers.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ok, forget saving up for Xiao. I'm all in on the guy from the new quest. No idea who he is or when he'll get put in the game, but the only thing cooler than having a cape is having a hat with a cape.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

A meteorite that spawned an electro cicin mage twice gave me the most trouble. Mostly because she just stayed outside the barrier hanging out rather than try to get me a few times.

The hardest one so far was like 2-3 of the pyro ninjas and a shitload of electric/fire grenadiers. The loving grenades never stopped, and also you can't hit the ninjas because even with them plainly visible the game randomly locks on to a different grenadier a mile away so you're swinging at nothing. I survived that with all my supports dead and also having to use two revives. At several points I just shielded up with Diona and ran around in circles because between them constantly backing up and every attack cranking them in the air they might as well have had four bosses' worth of hp each.

25 to go :bang:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Two agents, then another one spawned when I killed them both. Three agents at once I just would have died. I already lost my supports to getting dashed during the stun from the character swap. While it was nowhere near as brutal, a fight against a ton of the hoarders punchyfist dudes was a clusterfuck because every time I dodged the camera immediately decided to lose its poo poo and spin me around. I'd usually eat an attack out of nowhere.

I do appreciate the effort put in to provide stuff to do, even if it's not core progression, but herding ranged units and all the lock on/camera weirdness just feels rear end. Hopefully the third part doesn't have the same jank mechanic.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ashenai posted:

Ayaka, yes. I'm probably gonna save up for her, Zhongli is tempting but I really want weebwife, her world traversal is absolutely bonkers. Mona's ridiculous run speed and water traversal except also with ice, so she doesn't drown if she runs out of stamina while waterrunning, holy poo poo.

Ayaka looks awesome. Bonus points for the anime click into the scabbard despite the sword floating magically on her back. I'm kind of sad that we'll probably get new cool characters every three weeks or whatever but they're meaningless unless you're whaling or willing to slowly grind both them and a team for them up over a year to replace the team(s) you blew all your initial resources on.

Edit: Unless she's 4* and has some support synergy. I just got the impression she'd be a 5* banner character.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Huh. I've completed the Jean character quest, but apparently with the event the character quests are gone now. Shame, as I never did anything past Jean. :/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I need to get on Discord tonight. Just realized there's a multiplayer event and I'm missing out on free stuff for inviting/being invited.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Where did you see that?

It's this event, but on further reading it's not just inviting and being a specific AR, it's inviting up to three people AR7 or below and getting them up to AR15. I'll do a lot of stuff for free swag but the time investment in rigging that up (and the fact that half the rewards are only for the AR7 people) wouldn't be worth 180 gems.

So I get to continue being antisocial!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Pope Urbane II posted:

Everyone having trouble with the salvage operations clearly isn't running Venti or Sucrose because chaining the succ makes things go very quickly.

Not having Venti continues to be a pretty big tax to pay for starting a month late.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What are people thinking in terms of accessories for Diona? I was considering 2 Piece Bolide (+35% Shield Effectiveness) and either 2 Piece Scholar (20% Energy Recharge) or 2 Piece Maiden Beloved (+15% Healing Effectiveness). It seems like she really wants energy recharge for her ult since it's costly and I dunno if she even really wants too much extra healing boosts since the ult seems to work like Bennett's and is pretty speedy regardless.

I'm running Scholar and Exile just to get her ult up as much as possible. Bolide would be good too, if you've got the HP to really stack the shields. I've got C1 but no sac bow, so everything is basically just energy recharge.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I think the thing that confuses me the most about this event isn't that it repeatedly highlights every design problem in the combat simultaneously, it's that you can pay money to do more of it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I can't compete any of the meteorite things, I just get shredded in seconds every time. How do I do anything vs 5 archers, an abyss mage, two giant axe guys, 3 big fire slimes and like 5-6 small slimes at the same time? It's just overwhelming and I just spend all of my time dodging until I run out of stamina and die.

I have no idea what your team comp is like, but the answer is likely to munch food and run around in circles. Everything has jacked hp/defenses and the lock-on will constantly screw you, so it's just a slow plod toward victory with the only satisfaction being that you're done for the day. I wound up burning buff food today just to make it through some of the bullshit.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What do I even do at this point of the game? I don’t have any more quests available that I’ve found and the OP says I shouldn’t be feeling for artifacts until AR45.

You shouldn't blow resin on, or massively upgrade, artifacts before 45 when domains start spitting out 5* ones constantly. Once you have your carry in decent artifacts for them you can easily crank them to +10 or so. I've got a bunch of levels in them (at AR36) just because I ran out of artifact space. The main thing is to realize that until you get 5*s these are all disposable and you shouldn't spend time and effort trying to max them out or hunting for good ones. Give your junk artifacts with HP buffs or nice set bonuses to your supports. Blowing your resin on domains to get a nice AR30 artifact set becomes a waste of time in a week.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

MadMadi posted:

I'm still very early in this game (AR12), but hearing people with crazy deep rosters has me wondering if the frequency of pull currency picks up much. I've done 2 so far (Noelle and Ningguang) but don't feel like I'm getting more of the currency to do pulls.

People who started early got showered in free wishes and did a lot of rerolling because of that. Add in Welkin ($5/month, 3000 gems doled out over that period) and the battle pass ($10 per 6-week BP, gives tons of good stuff) combined with just playing and getting apology gems... they accumulate pretty quickly. The two, and soon to be three, free characters on offer let you shore up problem spots in a team.

Unlike the above crazy lucky 5* ridiculous roster, a lot of people are more or less rolling with free characters and a handful of 4* pulls. You could refuse to spend a single gem from now on and have Ningguang (carry) + Xiangling + Fischl + Noelle. If you're not pulling the lever every time the slot machine resets then you'll eventually accumulate enough currency to go after something you really want, and when you make your pulls for that you'll pick up a bigger roster along the way.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Across 86 total pulls since starting (mostly on Klee/Childe, but including normal/noelle banners) I've got a Diluc and a Childe, so one of the best 5* and the dummy prize. Also 2 Diona, 2 Noelle, 2 Ningguang, Xingqui, Beidou, Fischl. Got a Rust and plenty of 4* trash weapons. Sometimes luck just isn't on your side.

When the Bennet banner drops and I burn all my rolls I'll probably walk away with a C6 Amber.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

Time and resin are the same thing if you don't cap out, right? I'm not earning more five-star artifacts if I wait two weeks for natural resin regeneration to get me to 45, then using all the fragiles to do tons of domains, versus using all my resins today to get lots of adventure exp, then doing tons of domains over two weeks using natural regeneration

Resin is literally time, but in terms of blowing it all now for AR exp versus waiting until 45 to get lots of 5* artifacts... no idea how that min/maxes out. If anything I'd say the increased domain difficulty (and weekly boss difficulty) would skew towards splurging on resin at 45 to get your carry up to god status in the new domain level range. That's just me guessing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Welp, at a little over halfway through AR37 I hit the point of having nothing left to do (discounting hunting chests with a map like a psycho) outside of dailies. Sure would be nice if the Venti and Mona (and Childe, eventually) storylines were around. At least I know I'll be 45 by the time the new area drops.