Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Mang Tomas posted:

What’s your artifacts for Xinyan?

Couple quick things I just noticed / realized at my desk instead of phone post:
Whoops, my Xinyan already has a Def sands. Also, she's level 80 because I ran her as a carry for a week or two while my Zhong Li is lvl 70. And Zhong's shield has the extra resistance from being Geo.

But, I mean, he's the best shield in the game and Diona and Beidou are also on this team and brings some other stuff, so she doesn't need to match him, just pull her weight enough--which, I mean, her shield has about as much HP as Diona and Beidou's combined.

She has 4 Piece Tenacity Of The Millilith. The flower and feather aren't all that notable, sort of a grab bag of stuff besides a total of 9.7% crit rate and 6.6% def between them. After that she's got Def sands with a good energy recharge substat, a Phys damage guantlet with some good Def% and Atk% substats, and Def helm that somehow lucked into freaking 20% Crit damage. Plus her Whiteblind.

Her stat totals are 18k HP, 1334 Atk, 2015 Def. That gets her lvl3 shield to 5,340 HP, while her teammate Diona with 20k HP makes a shield with 3,849 HP. It's less reliable because it's a burst with a pretty long cooldown and a large energy cost, but Beidou's C1 and her 12k HP gives her a shield too, with 2,025 HP.

Meanwhile, My Zhong Li with 39K hp makes a shield with 8,932 HP, but I forgot the 1.5 multiplier for being Geo. Including that it's an insane 13,398, so I guess even besides the juggling it's no wonder these three shields feel like they have trouble matching up to this one. Also a quick check on Noelle if I gave her Whiteblind and Xinyan's DEF artifacts gets her shield to 5.2K, pretty close to Xinyan's, but then she also has that 1.5x bonus for being Geo. But her cooldown is longer than Xinyan's and she doesn't bring the Phys buff.

Also, man, I need to farm up some better gear and artifact XP for Beidou--A little bit of it is Xinyan having Atk% as an ascension stat and 10 levels on the other two supports, but even with two Def artifacts she has the second highest attack on the team, which combines with her DEF to make her the tank/secondary carry when Eula's hp is low and I want to have a shield AND a heal going not too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

From your post to God's ears. that banner is the best I could hope for. I have Fischl C1, and XL C4 and Barabra C3. Sucrose is C6,. but so are a ton of my other characters. This is probably the best banner I can hope for in awhile

Opposite here.
I have Fischl C6, I don't use XL or Barbara, and I'm not really interested in Klee. (Didn't click with me in the trial, and I already have plenty of carries, including Diluc and Ninguang for direct comparisons)

Meanwhile, my Sucrose is only C3, which is far less than ideal for my fave and weird choice of carry.
And that's after rolling a bunch on two different previous banners that had her. The only 4* I have less luck chasing constellations for is Xinyan.

(I am going to continue rolling on the current banner until it is gone. Sorry Sucrose, but I actually want . . . everything on this banner, instead of only you.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

No Wave posted:

I've spent like an hour over the past month thinking about Kazoo and I can only think of three comps for him:

Klee/Bennett/Venti/Kazoo (with Jean better a lot of the time)
Keqing/Beidou/Jean/Kazuha (with Venti better a lot of the time)
Ganyu/Diona/Venti/Kazuha (and the only reason to run this comp is vs little enemies that are easy to throw, where Jean is probably better)

He just doesn't work in melt/vaporize comps because Sucrose is better and he really wants another anemo in single-element comps. Doing triple anemo Xiao kind of makes sense but it wastes his damage boosting passive so Albedo may work out better.

The last option is:
Diluc/Xingqiu/Sucrose/Kazuha

But even then, there's no way he's better than Bennett.

So I'm at a loss, I have no idea what to do with this character. He's theoretically crazy strong, I mean he has Venerer and boosts your main element's damage by 30 to 40 percent if you build him entirely for EM, but he's competing with Venti+Jean so much that you only use him in non-Ventiable rooms (accordingly, the 1.6 leaks show an abyss that's highly resistant to Venti) and Sucrose's effect is so much more powerful than his damage boost that you always want her in melt/vape comps, and his better damage percentages don't matter because you have to build him for EM anyways, and you don't really want to build him entirely for damage because anemo res down is only on 5 star constellations or Zhong Li (and running geo + 2 anemo is only feasible with Xiao). It's like he only makes sense in non-reaction comps in rooms that are immune to Venti. (Or at C2, where he's just a better sucrose.)

Is there any reason he couldn't be run as a carry, maybe with a second anemo character for resonance? (Sucrose for the EM boost?) Throw in a good off field character or two for swirls, especially when we get the swirl buffs? He seems to attack pretty fast, too, which would be good for getting damage out of Beidou, Xinqui, or C6 Fischl.
Maybe something like
Kazuha/Sucrose or Jean/<Off field DPS>/<Healer and/or shield, depending on whether you had Jean earlier>

Of course, since his normals are physical he might not do as good a job at that gimmick as Sucrose. Or maybe you could run a physical build, with the anemo skills mostly being for crowd control?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Colorspray posted:

So I've been wondering for my eula comp with diona and fischl: is it worth putting favonius bow on fischl for the extra particles when diona has the sac bow?

My fischl currently has 2p glad + 2pc TF and a choice between veridescent hunt, stringless, and favonius bow. In theory, the fav bow would trade damage/crit for 100% Oz uptime and an extra energy particle every however so many seconds.

Not sure if the damage trade off is worth it, but her conceptual role in this comp is electro application and whatever energy she can get for the team.

Resource starved as hell. Next BP cant come soon enough.

Assuming you care about her damage, Stringless with it's 24% boost to Oz is definitely the way to go. I'm pretty sure it has a higher attack stat than Favonius too. It's generally considered the best 4 star weapon for Fischl, and having one on mine while she technically does most of my DPS, I've gotta agree with that.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Colorspray posted:

That's interesting! Rosaria is not in my roster, but I can see the appeal.

I want to see what Xinyan can do with the power of rock and roll! (please don't be the screen door on my submarine)

So far, with a def build and millilith and C2 Beidou, she's working well enough that I don't even NEED Diona's shield for overworld quests most of the time, but not well enough that the three of them feel like enough shield at the bottom of the Abyss.

But then I'm also a bit spoiled on shields for hard content by Zhong Li.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Wow. Rolled enough on the event banner to hit pity for Eula, kept rolling. Got Beidou Xinqui to C4, no new Xinyan dupes when I really want the one for her C2.

Notice after the 5 Acquaint Fates from the monthly shop reset that I'm one away from 4 star pity.
Buy an Acquaint Fate from the Starglitter shop, use it, and guess who pops out?
I finally have my C2 Xinyan, off of the normal banner, after rolling at least 80 times on her focus banner.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I've already got Bennett, Xingqiu, and Chongyun so I feel like I have a pretty good setup for Diluc already. Xiangling will be very nice to have and is a lot of fun to play anyway.

Thanks for the sigil advice, I'd been wondering if I should just spend them right away or if there was anything I should save up for.

Well, if nothing else you'll need two teams once you get deep into the abyss, and floors 9 and 10 have kinda required a pyro for shield melting since I got that high, so there's that.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

I don't are about Klee, just gimme Sucrose and Fischl

I'd say play the preview to see if you dislike Klee, then

1. If Klee is just loving terrible to play for you, roll until you've done like 50 rolls or have a Sucrose and a Fischl.
2. If Klee is all right, go for C1 Sucrose at least, it REALLY helps her.
3. If Klee is all right and you REALLY like Sucrose and Fischl (I do), then keep going until like 70 rolls no matter how many of them you get.
4. If you turn out to like Klee more than Diluc, just never stop rolling, give Klee Diluc's set if you get her and use her instead. They're redundant together, but there are plenty of decent-to-good 4 star leads/combos, it'd be nice to actually use every 5 star you get but you don't have to.
(For one thing, Sucrose + Fischl is already really loving good, and has buffs coming. Gets way better with more Fischl constellations, too. With C6 Fischl, they out DPS my Diluc and Eula teams)

Try for the multiple 4 stars you want, they fit on more teams than most 5 stars anyway. If you wind up getting Klee it's either a nice bonus or bad luck. Maybe stop when you're close to pity if you think the next guy looks really cool to you or you really don't like Klee. Besides, unless you got an off banner 5 star last time, you've got a 50% chance of getting Not Klee instead.

-edit:
Disclaimer that my Sucrose and Fischl are my most heavily invested characters by far. So, that probably helps them a lot on the whole "out damages my 5 stars" thing. Also, they're both good for a lot of other team comps, but they can't do that when they're always on the same team.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 8, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Real quick check, my lvl 85 Sucrose with 761 EM deals ~5200 damage per swirl on a hilichurl now.
With the speed she can pop these off, that's comparable to my Eula's unbuffed melee crits (5000-6000) or my Diluc's non-crit skill vaporize (4000-6000).

At catalyst range, without needing to crit, pretty damned fast. Before counting the extra ~2100 damage from Fischl nearly every attack (according to some quick calcs, didn't try that one while looking at numbers), or Sucrose's own damage that I forgot to calc but from memory is about another 500 an attack, and both of those can crit, and I forgot to count VV or any of Fischl's bonuses for that Fischl damage. (But also just closed the game and am getting ready for bed.)

As a Sucrose main, this patch makes me very happy.

Almost makes up for my Sucrose only being C3, after rolling enough on Albedo's banner for her that my Bennett hit C5 and Fischl hit C6, and enough on Venti's banner for her that, while I don't remember who else was on it, I got Venti. And now Sucrose is on another banner with Fischl, plus Barbara and Klee who I don't really want to pull, so I guess Sucrose is just gonna stay C3 for a while.

Edit: Also she was C1 before that, from Klee's first banner.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 10, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

Rolled my first tenner on the event banner and got a bunch of fodder, with my 4* being a catalyst called Sacrifice something or other. It seemed fine I guess, but didn't really pop out as "for" anyone that I have.

Then went over to the standard banner to roll the 10 fate that had accumulated over there, it's fodder fodder fodder, unsurprising, then BOOM Sucrose outta nowhere. I look at her talents and instantly realize the catalyst is for her. I listen to her voice lines and she is also extremely precious and probably :spergin: as gently caress. Hell yeah, good poo poo, we love to see it, etc. Time to reap the whirlwind.

If you can keep rolling the event banner until it's gone, Sucrose is on it and her C1 is great, especially with Sacrificial Fragments.

Also she teams well with Fischl, who is also on the event banner, if you want to play her as a DPS, and she used to be a fan of the Fischl books when she was younger so that's a thing.
(And also she is the best)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Noelle can do some decent damage early on but she's mostly useful as a defensive support for her shield.

Of the free starter characters, Traveler (your main character) and Kaeya are probably the most useful for damage. Both can be built to be decent DPS characters. I wouldn't call either a "carry" (as in, they won't be single-handedly doing a ton of your DPS with support from your other three characters) but they can do good for you until you start getting some stronger DPS characters. Even then, Kaeya is pretty great once you can start getting good artifact sets for him and have a good team that can freeze enemies. That's late-game stuff though.

Adding to this, most characters can be made into a carry if you invest heavily and are creative, but obviously it's easier for some than others. Noelle only becomes a great carry at C6 (so I've heard), but she can do basically anything okay, and that includes carry--her numbers are all right, her weapon type busts through several types of shields (and rocks) and WILL stagger basically anything that can be staggered with normals, her skill keeps her from getting staggered and heals her, and her burst is amazing--But her numbers are just okay, physical is one of the worst damage types in the long run, her skill can ALSO keep someone who is a better carry from getting staggered, and she does not generate energy on her own. If you want to use her as a carry, it's doable, especially since she's got your healer and shield covered, but even among the free characters and characters you can get easily right now, there's easier options. If you do use her for that, go south to Liyue as soon as the game lets you (far before the plot sends you there), get Geo powers for the Traveler, and now he is a burst support, buffer, and battery for Noelle, and gets her Geo Resonance for some buffs while shielded, plus geo constructs are cool.

Xiangling is available for free fairly early, I think, and if you forge her a crescent pike she makes a great physical carry AND transitions well to support later--a later passive of her buffs, and she does a lot of damage from off the field.

I've heard Traveler can be a decent carry, but I couldn't tell you how. Not doubting it, though.

Kaeya, previously mentioned, you'll probably want to keep an electro character with him for the Cryo + Electro elemental reaction, Superconduct, which reduces enemy physical resistance. Any cryo or electro character who isn't a catalyst user is gonna have an easier time being a physical carry than most, just because of this reaction--Kaeya also has a bunch of crit stuff which goes well with any other cryo character you get, and applies cryo very quickly for anyone who needs that. Also, he is tall so he runs faster than everyone else.

Among the things on the current event banner:

Klee, the 5 star, is obviously an amazing carry. I couldn't tell you how to play her, and she's supposed to be more complicated than most characters, but she's supposed to be great. Good luck getting her, though.

Fischl, the archer, is an amazing support character who can also make a decent physical carry. Her damage numbers on her normals are among the best of all archers, and she brings her own electro element so that's halfway to superconduct right there, plus her skill summons a turret character who does good damage alongside her. He also stays out without her, which is part of what makes her such a great support.

Sucrose, the anemo mage, is in the running for best crowd control in the game, plus she buffs and does pretty good burst damage. She can be run as a weird carry if you team her up with someone who can apply elements a lot off field--Fischl is probably the best for this, but a lot of other characters can work, probably including Kaeya and Xiangling if you don't mind getting close. Her attacks are all anemo, so when they hit another element they cause a swirl, dealing a nice chunk of damage and spreading that element to nearby enemies. My main team comp is a Sucrose carry, and her elemental reaction just got buffed, but it IS a bit unintuitive.

Barbara, the hydro mage, probably shouldn't carry, but anything is possible if you believe.

I don't know what it is about nearly 3am that makes me want to effortpost. Probably procrastinating on sleep.

Bussamove posted:

This entire event is an elaborate excuse concocted by Jean to get out from behind her desk for five goddamn minutes, and if Klee explodes things outside her jurisdiction for a while so it doesn't add to her paperwork all the better.

Jean would never willingly get out from behind her desk for five goddamn minutes.
It's an elaborate excuse concocted by the other knights to trick her into taking time off, plus give Klee something fun to do for a bit.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The best clue for the qualities a Vision is awarded (and the nature of their Archon) for are in the flavour text for the ascension gemstones. Electro's is:

"This body is the noblest and most eminent of all in this world.
"It should hold absolute control over this world.
"It once promised its people a dream: the never-changing 'eternity.'"

Personally I interpret Electro as being about having a dream you want to impose on the world around you. That certainly fits Keqing, Fischl and Beidou. Razor and Lisa are the odd ones, though in the case of Lisa there's kind of a massive question mark in her background about exactly why a super powerful sage-wizard is wasting away in a library in Mondstadt so I'm guessing there's unexplored *backstory* there.

Well drat, that clue doesn't fit with my "The Electro Archon hasn't actually liked giving out Visions in a long while, and gives them to people who are in some way unsuited for having a Vision / unlikely to use them to affect the world much at all. Which, come to think of it, is both sort of the opposite of holding absolute control over the world, and the closest thing to just keeping all the electro powers to herself without just not giving out visions at all.

Keqing is a dystheist, she dislikes the gods and even tried to destroy her Vision once she got it.
Lisa is a librarian, she rarely goes out or adventures, she's talented but has zero ambition and likely doesn't use her vision much.
Razor was raised by wolves, lived with wolves, and the odds of him using his vision in any way that affects other people were low.
Beidou was already so badass she does not need a vision, plus, like Razor, is generally outside of society and away from people.
Fischl is either delusional in a way that her vision just encourages, or is some kind of magical space goddess princess who, like Beidou, probably does not need a vision.

Lisa is a bit of a stretch here, but otherwise I think I like this theory. It's not as fun as my "she gives visions to people when she thinks it's funny" one, but that one only really applies to Keqing and Fischl.

Edit--I don't dislike any of these characters, Fischl and Keqing especially are two of my favorites.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 13, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

diluc went on a massive crusade against the fatui iirc after his father's death, he's got a lot of drive to get things done, his batmanning now is a break for him, most likely

Playable Diluc will not stop saying things like "as long as you follow your own path, it doesn't matter what mother nature throws at you," "oh rain, if only it could cleanse all the evil spirits of the world," and, of course, "BURN!" and "TIME FOR... RETRIBUTION!"

He is passionate and driven as gently caress and at this point I am convinced that his public stoicism is mostly an act.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 13, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'm far enough into the Abyss now that I need two teams. Looking at my roster, what two teams would you make? (Currently AR 38, for reference.)

Mostly I'm trying to figure out who I should build up who I haven't. I'm feeling pretty behind on leveling/ascending weapons and leveling artifacts for everyone except Diluc and I'm really feeling the resource crunch on artifact EXP, but at the same time that "clear floor 5-3" is just staring at me in the adventure log and I wanna check that off my list.

I'd go with Diluc/Xingqiu/Healer/Flex and Sucrose/Fischl/Healer/Flex.

Diluc and Xingqiu are obvious. Once you've got Fischl's level 60 skill, she is great with anyone who can spam elements, and I feel like Sucrose is the best there due to her AOE and her skills buffing Elemental Mastery and applying VV. It was pretty good before it got buffed, and is getting pretty popular now for a reason. I mean besides that it's a pretty unique gimmick and that Sucrose and Fischl are the best and people with good taste want excuses to use them.

I suppose Bennett should probably go with Diluc and Xingqui, for the pyro resonance and the charge synergy. For team 2's healer, if Noelle is C1 to make her a good healer she can use her shield up the defense a bit and her ult will ALSO trigger Oz's shots every attack and hit in a large AOE, but that'll leave you pretty hard up on elemental reactions--crystalize might as well not exist and Anemo + Geo does nothing. Barbara should also be able to do the job, but I don't have much experience with her.

Fatui and elemental shields like to show up in the abyss, so if possible your teams shouldn't be too set in stone--you should probably use the flex slots to cover whatever you need for those, but for general purpose I usually like to have shields, especially for the floors with frostbite.

Also I have not tested it but it just occurred to me that Xiangling could probably combo with SucrOz pretty well, since I doubt Sucrose cares a lot about stuff getting overloaded away.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 25, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kale posted:

The Neverending Battle event seems pretty poo poo if your F2P and still hovering around the 50-60's in terms of levels. The Kaboom Ball one I aced cause it's not based around anything other than skill and reaction time and the one where you fight the 3 bosses I could also hack on normal with some handicaps even albeit with some struggle, but this one I'm stuck doing the lowest difficulty and can barely manage 350 pts with food buffs, let alone 500, let alone 2000, which I'm not even going to try since I just at least wanted the primo gems.

The obvious "trick" here on the first one is to have Ganyu/Eula and/or Venti but I don't have either of those. My Cryo people are Kaeya and Diona (little neglected of late and level 55 or so) and both are kind of poo poo for steady DPS to make it worth it for the superconduct boost. Also not a big fan of the whole having to stop and shoot a ball at targets to build up buffs, especially since it has a tendency to fly off in a random direction towards the enemies or pass right through the target. Looking like I'm kind SOL on this one for those extra primo gems. Maybe if the enemies weren't so tanky even on the absolute lowest setting and I had end game 5 star characters I'd have a better chance. :shrug:

Probably the first event I'm not really a fan of and quite frustrating for a F2P guy that has barely used the gacha and has been taking things relatively slow on cranking the numbers up tbh. Obviously the internet is total garbage for any sort of tips because it's either people with their 5 star min-maxed Ganyu/Venti teams bragging about how easy it was for them to do or that gossipy style of click-bait journalism that just rehashes (barely) how the mechanics of the event work, which the game explains well enough aside from the momentum thing, which btw barely helps me. I just plain think Lvl 55 Kaeya/Diona are not built to carry an event like this even a little to get to 500 and my other options aren't too hot either. Just Diluc at level 60 basically that gets no major damage bonuses and is still stuck using a 3 star weapon since I screwed up and got the wrong billet to make a Prototype Archaic.

Haven't done today's challenge yet, and I've picked up Welkin a few months so I'm not quite F2P, but I had much better luck mostly ignoring the gimmick than using Eula, and cleared with an all 4-star team.

Bring Sucrose or someone else who is good at clustering enemies.
Bring someone who can either trigger a lot of elemental reactions or doesn't need them for the slimes--I used TF Bennett, since I wanted Bennett on my team for the buffs and healing too, but Diluc or Xiangling or a cryo or physical DPS probably works well--I know Eula had an easier time with this stage than Bennett.
And then bring whatever your main crowd carry is for the rest. Actually if your main crowd "carry" isn't electro or "Sucrose and an Electro," you can probably skip bringing someone specifically for the slimes.

This took me from barely breaking 1500 with Eula/Beidou/Diona/Xinyan to breaking 2200 with Sucrose/Fischl/Bennett/Diona (probably could have skipped Diona.) So hopefully, something similar should be able to pull you over the 500 mark, at least.

(Really in general, if people online say to use Venti, Sucrose is either a decent substitute or actually a better choice.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

No Wave posted:

The simplest fix to make Xinyan less bizarre would be to give her the same healing mechanic as Noelle. She would still never be optimal but she would be less impossible to build a comp around.

I think she feels very nice to play, and I hope to build her soonish, but there are a few others ahead of her in the queue.

For me and my Eula team, she got WAY more usable after I got her C2--healing could be nice, but just folding the shield into her burst by default and tacking something else onto to burst crit for her C2 (Better shield multiplier? Def scaling on her burst?) would go a long way. That or reducing her shield cooldown.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's really funny that they put Sweet Flowers into that gardening batch. As if we ever run low when you trip on like 30 of the things when you're running anywhere.

If you're not growing at least a few sweet flowers for Sucrose you are not using the gardening feature right. :colbert:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Asimo posted:

Yeah today's mission was basically custom designed for Ganyu to trivialize and super annoying if you don't have that option. Really need some sort of archer in the team to plink the weak points and ideally a non-physical carry due to the ruin enemies' crazy physical resistances.

Sucrose + Fischl core worked fine for me, like it has the entire event. Partway through I ever stopped bothering with the eyeshots, but then I'm lucky enough to have Zhong Li for my shield, and with it his meteors.

But then I also overshot 2k and got 2700 on my first and only try, so I would imagine Zhong isn't actually all that necessary.

Archonex posted:

<Description of late-Honkai Mei>

This all sounds cool as hell, but I just started playing Honkai Impact today, and just looking at Fischl and Keqing, (Plus 2/3 of the Honkai characters I've played with--Kiana is doing a very good Bayonetta impersonation in combat,) I'm pretty sure Genshin characters are a bit more tame than Honkai characters.

gently caress, stuff like a teleport and Mei's super rapid Ult slashes and her post-dodge Stinger move would be awesome, though.

Also the thing Keqing has in Honkai where her charge attack and perfect dodges ALSO place her teleport mark. That is so cool and would fix so many of her problems without being as broken as, say, her crazy barrage of sword beams.

(Saying that a lot of Kiana's moves are copied from Bayonetta is not a complaint, nor is saying that Time Fracture is just Witch Time. I like Bayonetta. Also Devil May Cry. That, the special dash, and primogems burning a hole in my pocket are the main reasons I'm gonna pull for Ayaka.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm curious in the downtime before Inazuma smacks us in the face. What are everyone's favorites & mains? We already know and love our resident popsicle monarch gandlethorpe but I think it'd be neat to hear from everyone.

For me, it's definitely Albedo. I haven't put the time and effort into him like I really should have because I'm an unfocused mess but he's in like 99% of my parties anyways. He's just got a rad outfit, a cool story, and his kit is fantastic even if understated. Also his tendency to just disappear from conversations he has no interest in is highly relatable.

I know I've brought it up a few times when people were saying they were having trouble with the current event, but Sucrose and Fischl are actually my favorites, with Xinyan and Bennett a distant third and 4th. That Sucrose/Fischl/Bennett/A Shield turned out to be a really good team is a happy coincidence. Very happy with the progression from "huh, I kinda feel like I'm doing more damage proccing Oz with Sucrose's normals while Keqing needs to wait for recovery than I was with Keqing. Nah" to "NOW THE INTERNET PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT SUCROSE + FISCHL AS A COOL GIMMICK? I SHOULD HAVE TRUSTED MY OWN JUDGEMENT," to "wow they buffed the gimmick comp I was using and now it feels incredibly overpowered against anything that doesn't hard counter it."

Sucrose is an awkward scientist with a cute voice who collects bones for reasons unrelated to the science, and the massive AOE and constant swirl procs are a great gimmick. Also glasses. And seriously, if you are passing her by because she isn't Venti, don't, on top of her playstyle as a "carry," she's also really good for drat near any time you think you need Venti.

Fischl is Chuuni'd so hard that either she fooled the universe into thinking she has magical powers, or the gods decided to give them to her. Plus, as someone with only one good eye, an eyepatch is always a plus (even if hers is probably just for show). Plus purple is my favorite color. Gameplay-wise, you've just gotta love having such a powerful off field support as an active skill.

Xinyan is a rock musician who decided, upon being granted magical powers by the gods, that she should use them for stage tricks. She insists that her Ult does not use said magical powers. She shouts things like "shred 'til I'm dead." It really is too bad that aside from being good with Eula if you squint and getting pyro resonance with Bennett she's . . . probably the worst choice for a shield slot. Still went on the team for all dragonspine and the archipelago. Honestly anything that does manage to get close getting overloaded is really cool.

Bennett rubbed me the wrong way at first, when he read as "generic shonen protagonist," instead of "unlucky dude with some depression who acts like an incredibly over the top shonen protagonist partly to hide it and sometimes a bit sincerely." And then he's also one of Fischl's only friends and apparently believes her and I've gotta admit, that's loving adorable.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Oh no.
I have been playing Honkai Impact, and while I am only 3 chapters and most of the Genshin crossover story in, I have lore theories.

So, the crossover storyline is framed as a video game pitch meeting. Keqing is playable in this, and only this.
Fischl is playable in this and in the main game.
It could just be a gameplay thing, but between that and the fictional "Prinzessin der Verurteilung" that Genshin Fischl is larping being a powerful, reincarnating, multi-dimensional being, it raises another possibility:

A Fischl actually exists in the Honkai Impact 3 Timeline, or at least one that has interacted with it in some way. The gacha obviously isn't canon, but as far as I am aware every gacha character at least exists somewhere in universe. On top of this, Honkai Fischl is, gameplay-wise, way more powerful than Genshin Fischl.
Like, teleporting around, hurling lightning arrows constantly, Oz somehow seeming to be everywhere at once and lightning fast, Oz raining beams from the heavens. Your "normal" Kiana and Mei are closer to "bargain bin Bayonetta" than to this, including some non-starter versions that are still more "power armor" than "became a mad god." Having gotten to play as a Herrscher and what I assume is something similar in the newest crossover chapter, honestly? Fischl is closer to them than to the "normal" characters.

So, maybe Fischl actually IS the reincarnation of a magical multiversal space goddess of immense power, and she's only acting because books are the only sort of "memory" she has of her other lives.

On top of this, I have a new theory about how the Electro Archon chooses Vision Holders. My previous theory was that she gave them to people who are in some way "unsuitable" for it, as the closest thing to just not giving any out.

My new theory, based in part on Fischl's crazy gameplay in Honkai, is that she gives them to people who might have been more powerful in the long term without them. She already doesn't like people having the power of Visions, it sort of makes sense that similar power with no link to the gods at all would be even worse to her.

Fischl has a vision and uses that instead of manifesting her Pinzessin de Verurteilung powers.
Beidou killed a sea god before she got her vision, and could have been a potential inspiration for non-vision people everywhere. Plus we don't know that there isn't some sort of martial way into vision-level power that doesn't come from the archons.
If there is some sort of martial way into that kind of power, Keqing is a master swordswoman who is incredibly devoted to training and has a chip on her shoulder about the powers that be. Razor was raised by and keeping up with wolves without a vision, around a magical wolf constantly, and presumably had no cultural knowledge about what a vision is and how you're not supposed to be magic without one. Maybe they could have become Beidou level badasses?
And then maybe Lisa could have, like, studied her way into something she's not meant to know?

Okay listen I haven't actually read how Razor and Lisa got their visions and it's 4am.
I just kind of love reading too much into lore snippets I've read and what could very well just be gameplay with no connection to anything.

The one big hole in my Fischl Truther theory is that Fischl is Bio type, and I'm pretty sure this would make her Quantum or Imaginary.

Also the types in Honkai Impact are Bio, Mech, Psy, Quantum, and Imaginary. This isn't relevant I just think it's nuts.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

frajaq posted:

does that fit Baal personality? I guess we are gonna see soon
what did Zhongli see in Noelle and Albedo to give them the Geo element for example?

Well, Baal is confiscating visions and Electro visions stopped being given out, so "does not like other people to have power" fits to me.

We don't actually know if the Archons personally give out Visions--they're stated to, but said statements are in-universe and could be false. Noelle, Albedo, Ninguang and Zhongli all make sense for the same element, though.
They're diligent. Noelle trains and studies and quests day and night to become a knight. Albedo has been studying alchemy for centuries, and even assumed it was only a matter of time before he got a vision. Ninguang is always on that capitalist grind and has been since she was destitute. And Zhongli, if you want to count him as a data point, kept being an archon longer than anyone else to do the job. Venti may have kept going just as long and not been ready to quit, but he was also incredibly hands off.

Kale posted:

As for Fischl, isn't it confirmed that she's actually just some eccentric teenage girl from Monstadt named Amy and it's all mostly just role play yet Oz manifests as a quasi-real being through her vision which IS legitimately a real vision and that she is a real member of the Monstadt adventurer.......just the rest of the Prinzessin Der Verurteilung stuff is grandiose window dressing to go with her Chuunibyou fantasy?
Kind of? This is definitely true, but part of the Prinzessin Der Verurteilung stuff is reincarnation and multiverse stuff, and Fischl has said herself that they can both be true.

Which, I mean, obviously the easy assumption to make is that she's just a chuuni. It's a big, but possible, leap to say that maybe she's right. That one's more of a headcanon than an actual theory that might wind up being proven or disproven.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

Well due to the events from "We Will Be Reunited", the Traveler's a lot less gung-ho about running around solving everyone's problems, and instead wants to chase their sibling ASAP. Before, they didn't really know where to look and were just going with the flow, but now they have the clear goal to "finish their journey" of visiting all the Archons, and some silly civil war isn't going to get in their way.

Well, until they remember that they have a conscience and it gets in the way, that is.

Plus, "play an integral part in a civil war against a god" is kind of a bigger ask than "fight a dragon with a god's help" or "help with a funeral, run some magic errands."

I mean, it felt pretty bad that there wasn't even an "I'm sorry, but you are asking way too much" option, but I can see not signing up at first just for that reason.

Also, I hope when this plot is older, the people who lost their Visions get them back and become playable--maybe give them some new, less washed out clothes, but we have a serious lack of buff dudes and older men who aren't secretly a thousand years old.

Also also, people complain about Yoimiya having the same boob physics as everyone else while wearing something that I'm pretty sure is usually meant to keep that from happening, but Ayaka still has them while wearing what I would otherwise swear is some type of armor.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Some good news for anyone who likes Genshin's generally positive tone, but is worried that it's gonna take a turn for the grim like Honkai Impact:

I am 4 chapters and some side stuff in, and Honkai Impact already has child soldiers who are constantly being monitored for potentially going berserk,.One of said child soldiers has a mind control chip in her brain that her employers can turn on at will. One of them is an NPC who cannot walk because of a chunk of crystalized Honkai energy inserted in her leg, a bit later she turns into Evil Venti, almost gets talked down before being "betrayed" by the mind control chip in the girl she trusted being activated, and then killed by an evil corporation to take said energy. The lead character has a dead mom and a deadbeat dad, and she has just heard her mother's voice for the first time in a virtual flashback to right before she died. She is also implied to be dead in one of the side stories, by an older version of her girlfriend. (Who looks identical to the Shogun.)

In one of the other side stories, a child was sacrificed to the gods for good fortune to the village, in a torturous way that made her sister mercy kill her. This later causes said sister to merge with a Honkai demon for revenge and kill her exorcist girlfriend first of all. After you make a happy version of this for her ghost, she knows it's fake, is okay with it, and then it all comes crashing down anyways and you learn that the demon was ALSO a dead kid, killed because she had Honkai energy.

Honkai Impact did not "take a turn" into grimdark. Honkai Impact is grimdark from the start. (And I love it.)

So if Honkai started grimdark and got more grimdark, maybe Genshin can start optimistic and stay optimistic.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Archonex posted:

As a side note this Honkai Impact crossover event with Honkai is hilarious.

If Keqing played like this in Genshin she'd be a rampaging engine of mass destruction.

Not sure if you mean hilarious just from the previews or not, but it's already out and I found the writing for the first storyline pretty funny.

The entire crossover is a series of game pitches, in-universe. The first game is a lot like the start of Genshin Impact, but both the Traveler stand-in and Paimon know it's a game.
The Traveler Stand-In also starts asking "when do I get to start wishing" before the tutorial is over.
After she summons Keqing, Keqing is a bit annoyed and says she's going home.

The other two pitches might have some relevance, but aren't as funny or directly related.

Also Keqing is only playable in the pitches, but Fischl is playable in the whole game, and from what I've seen the few times I've gotten to use them, is Herrscher level busted.
Is there anyone playable in Honkai Impact who doesn't exist in some way in-universe? Because the Prinzessin Der Verurteilung is a multiversal thing, if it is a real thing.
:tinfoil:
(It's real and Fischl in Honkai is that world's version of her and Genshin Fischl got her Vision to keep her from getting her Prinzessin powers that is my headcanon you can't prove me wrong.)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Archonex posted:

Also, I haven't played with Fischl yet but is she that OP? What rank does she need to be to get the most out of her?

The trial version in the event is outshone a bit by Keqing, but keeps up pretty well with the Herrscher Of Reason and some messed up presumably Herrscheresque version of Seele in the third part of the event. Also, actually, the third part also has it's funny bits---Fischl is the least extra member of that party.

For the main game, I haven't played too much of it yet or gotten a lot of time with a Herrscher, but between her being able to trigger time slow and beam spam on a reasonable cooldown, the other beam spam she can do, and Oz being his own bunch of beam spam . . .

I've been pulling on her gacha to rank her up as I go along and at this point mine is nearly SSS, but she has not once not been significantly stronger than anything else I have at the same level, with the gacha S rank I just got being the first thing to really come close.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

After like a million runs I finally got a drat ATK% Blizzard Sands only for it to have trash substats. Don't even care, just happy to finally have most of a set on Ayaka. Finally getting her up to speed to take around on stuff without much hassle.

Speaking of, Xingqiu's burst is absolutely bonkers for Ayaka it's almost unfair in the best possible way.

Barbara also works well for this, especially if your Xingqui has downtime.
She also outheals the damage from the hurty places.
In my case, while only being level 50.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

If you run around for long enough, the fight will end without "losing" ;)

I hated this. I guess ban food too so people don't waste it on a basically unwinnable fight, but it should have let me keep fighting futilely until I pulled off a miracle or died.

Eula and Xinyan still had their big swords drat it.

Also Sayu is an Anemo Greatsword Healer, right?

Filling Greatsword AND healer AND getting 1/2 of the way to Anemo resonance sounds incredibly good for overworld.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 27, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Doom guy could be a sword user and it would be rad, probably pyro. Zelda would fit as a catalyst user pretty well. Toss cloud in as a claymore user. Hell, throw Dante in as a sword or claymore user, but his burst he just pulls out guns and start shooting as his autoattack for the duration.

I haven't played hzd yet, but bring all the collabs in.

Doom Guy could be cool, probably as a sword or greatsword user with the Super Shotgun for an "elemental skill" and something else as an "elemental burst," maybe a passive that drops health pickups, but it runs into the problem that he doesn't talk.
Then again, the new games have shown a couple times that he can talk, he just chooses not to, presumably because he doesn't consider anyone he encounters in the games worth talking to. So him talking in Genshin would actually be kind of hilarious.

Fire Emblem is loaded with sword people, tome people, and spear people, but only the tome people tend to have elements. Sonic was mentioned earlier and he could work! He's already been associated with wind kind of a lot and he had a sword once in a game that was pretty cool playing through the whole thing in one sitting with some college friends but probably doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

But for some reason my favorite ideas are finding some excuse for a Nier character, or having a Honkai Impact crossover that all the lore nerds get super hype over that turns out to be just as irrelevant to the plot as the Genshin in Honkai crossover. (I would be among the lore nerds getting hype over that. Bonus! Use Kiana or older Mei so the Traveler can deal with people who look identical to gods who have attacked them.)

For some reason I'm drawing complete blanks on anime right now. Except Evangelion again somehow. Their rep can be hydro element because of all the tears.

Really, just someone who does not fit the setting at all trying to deal would be great. Or does Aloy fit that mold already?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

I would play Traveler much more if they let us keep the masks we get sometimes, or allow any customization at all, but something tells me gacha games are allergic to letting you deviate the precious and sacred waifu/husbando designs from canon. They probably are also loathe to give you a thing they know you want when they could sell it to you instead.

The Traveler did so many illegal things this arc, you'd think they'd have at least worn the mask.

Not sure how much it would have helped, since they look pretty distinct, but still.

You'd also think they'd have a fake vision like Venti, maybe not in Inazuma but it'd cut down on some explanations.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 28, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Lobsterpillar posted:

This happened to me, Kaz got blown away while stuck in dialogue. It was hilarious, wish I could have recorded it.

Mind you, the storm blocking off Inazuma might be way more potent than the one on the island, and that's surely at least one storm Kazuha has been through.

In the last dialogue for the quest that leads to the Golden Apple Archipelago, my Traveler was killed by slimes. Death animation and the cutscene continuing and everything.

I was playing as them, and when I arrived they were dead

It was hilarious.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

frajaq posted:

based on those two things, does Honkai Impact have any signs of wrapping up their own storyline soon or is the style of the game different from Genshin?

Being about 5 chapters from current, gotta say:

No. Definitely not.

A lot has happened, but they are still world building and the villain factions are still at "my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete" at best.

Plus they could Monster Of The Week things indefinitely without really stretching credibility with the setting. That would probably get boring though.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kale posted:

I've been really studying up on the whole Honkai Impact thing this afternoon since I posted about it earlier and it seems to have what I refer to as the "impenetrable storyline" phenomenon that is common in Asian media where it's just so lengthy and in an unclear order in multimedia format that it's almost impossible to know where to really start and what the chronology of events is unless you were there at the very beginning. There's guides on what your apparently supposed to read/watch/play and in what order with links to online manga chapters out there, but then there's also these apparent character side stories where it's unclear exactly where they fit into the whole narrative. Like something called Sanka Saga and Rosemary's Floriograph which are both like 3-5 hour long videos each that I found on youtube and I have no idea where that would be supposed to fit in, but then I also found 25 or so story chapters that are in a self explanatory order. No one youtube channel or "read in this order" guide seems to quite cover it all though.

Apparently Genshin is sort of like this too where there's a manga and obviously all those books in game to read so even if your going through doing every event and character and archon story your still only getting something like 60% of the story maybe.

I'm kind of curious still because I have this admittedly self bemused impression of Honkai Impact that it's a bunch of super powered often edgy/sad/smug/angry looking sexy anime women grunting and beating the ever loving poo poo out of each other/blowing stuff up while performing Lightning from FFXIII feats of implausible action maneuvers roughly every couple minutes and then there's like some greater story as a reason to why these things are happening that again seems all but impenetrable. I kind of want to see just how right I am one of these days :lol:

For most of these things, including Honkai and to a lesser extent Genshin, it's actually easy to get into the storyline.
Find what the "main" thing is, usually the first one released--Honkai Impact 3rd and Genshin Impact in this case. Play/read/watch that until you are current. Congratulations, now you can play/read/watch any of the side stuff that interests you and it will, at most, foreshadow things that might come up later. You can also not, because those things are basically never required to enjoy the main thing.

The story to Honkai might feel like you're supposed to know stuff you don't at the start because it starts in media res, but it explains plenty a little later, and having mainlined the story from the point where it both picks up and makes the bizarre but appreciated choice of going from Genshin style "the gacha isn't canon just pretend it's the MC doing this" to "here are trial versions of the characters the plot says are here. You must use them and only them," I understand everything that doesn't feel like "poo poo's supposed to be a mystery at this point" except, like, a thing I forgot because they cut away from that entire group of characters for like 5 chapters.

They do that sometimes. It can be kind of annoying.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Xinyan is the bad one, right?

Xinyan isn't bad per se, but yes, she is rarely the "optimal" choice. Plus, she really needs her C2 and it should definitely be a part of her base kit.
But she DOES provide:

Pretty good shielding
Pyro resonance
Decent pyro application
Great use of Tenacity of the Millileth buffs
A physical damage buff\
Decent damage on her burst even with a shield build, because of the guaranteed crit
Greatsword user for mining, breaking geo shields, and staggering things to stall while waiting for a chance to heal your actual carry
Can physical carry better than Keqing, if you don't mind needing to supply superconduct through other characters

A guitar, a little drum that makes noises when she moves, a sound bar on her shield, and an attack where she shouts "SHRED 'TIL I'M DEAD" and deals damage and makes a bunch of fire with her guitar. (She insists that her Vision is not actually a part of that.)

Steady application of 1/2 of overload, which combined with Fischl, can change Sucrose's element from Anemo to "explosions."

Did I mention she is cool? I have her on my Eula team, and sometimes use her on my SucrOz team.
I'm definitely not gonna be too disappointed if I get some more constellations for her while fishing for Sayu. I already have a C6 Diona, but characters I like seem to ALWAYS come with characters I have at C6! Sucrose never seems to be on-banner without Fischl, Bennett, or both! It is very frustrating!
(I am at pretty much zero pity, so I can afford to pull for 4 stars a bit.)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 5, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

This is pretty much what I hope they do for Genshin. There aren't a lot of past characters I'm dying to roll for but there are a couple and it'd be cool not to have to wait months or a year between chances to do so.

As an added bonus, it'd help with the potential "new player pulls a 5 star character they cannot upgrade until they're nearly done with the story so far" problem.

Although I really don't see how increasing the availability of any character is more FOMO than continuing to have temporarily available characters. Adding 5 stars to the standard pool would probably piss off some people when they first do it, but in the long run "if you miss someone they'll be in standard eventually" feels LESS exploitative, not more.

Which is probably a reason for a gacha game not to do it but still.

(I wish they'd do both)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Garrand posted:

I've just started walking in and opening by murdering everybody. I'm assuming it'll cycle through the same ones eventually, but for now when I don't know where the stupid items are at and I'm running around looking for the arrows it's just faster to kill everyone and then figure it out.

I try to sneak if it's obvious, but yeah just killing everything is usually where I end up. Especially if I'm not using a friendship team, Sucrose and Fischl just shred through everything.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
At this point whether or not I want Raiden depends on whether or not the new story content makes her interesting.

I already have C6 Fischl and C6 Beidou, plus Fischl is one of my favorites, so I don't really need another electro support. But Honkai Raiden is pretty cool so I could be convinced.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Wait.... his burst flower looks different at C2?

Anyways let's open fresh wounds and bring up Yoimiya again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn8etqEPtFg

Oh no she goes "pew pew."

There goes my "stop at ~60 or Sayu" plan.
And my "Welkin may be the best deal I have ever seen, but it's still money spent on a gacha game, I'm not buying it this month" plan.

I suppose it's probably still a better use than another game to sit in my steam library waiting for me.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

drat I really understimated how much people hated electronic if you're already committed to never picking up another one since you've already got a couple. :v:

I mean, if they released a good electro carry, I might want them. Currently the closest thing I have to that is Fischl basically turning Sucrose into a electro carry . . . which does work well enough to burn through the wolf that is immune to anemo pretty fast, actually. And Keqing, who I like but not enough to make up for her not being as good as my other carries for Abyss and Domains, and I have her at max friendship so she doesn't see much use elsewhere either.

But for support, I am at least covered enough that I would rather not use up 5 star pity on one unless I like her character.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Varka and Alice are potential ones

Cyrus, Ellin, and Anna please.
Sure two of them definitely don't have visions and we don't know about one of them, but that can change. It'd be a fun little side story beat.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

MotU posted:

Any team building advice for a couple teams I should focus on? That's my roster with their constellations in yellow (Klee's is green because it was hard to see with yellow)

For 5* weapons I got Skyward Pride, Skyward Spine, Engulfing Lightning, Primordial Jade-Winged Spear and Lost Prayer to the Sacred Winds

I want to make use of Klee, Eula, and Raiden of course but I also would like to get use out of Xinyan and Sara if possible since I like their designs. I also assume Zhongli is a must for his shields but I am not sure how to string it all together in the best way

Also have a Max Refine Sacrificial Sword and Sacrificial Greatsword

Well, three of those combo well together. I've got a Eula/Beidou/Diona/Xinyan team, and I hear that works better with Raiden instead of Beidou. I don't remember the exact build for Xinyan, but she's focused on defense and crit damage, with Whiteblind and Tenacity Of The Millileth.

If every other pyro is any indication, Klee wants Xinqui and Bennett if he's available, and is mostly covered there.

I am also always going to recommend Sucrose/Fischl/Healer/Flex. EM Sucrose attacking with Oz out does a hilarious amount of damage in a wide area. She wants Sacrificial Fragments pretty bad though.

Zhongli fits well into any of those flex slots, or basically any flex slot in general.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Radical posted:

3) bow lockon

4) normal bow charge attack
5) Keqing buffs