Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
This game has one of the better controller supports that I've seen at just detecting a controller is plugged in. In quite a few other older games I've played the program would only recognize a controller if it was plugged in before the program started while this one can detect a controller mid session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
A good tier list would set enough controlled values so that the only difference between characters would be their innate strengths/stats/talents. That's not a realistic representation of the state of the game for a lot of players, especially with constellations.

Afaik no one has number crunched hard enough with controlled variables to flat out state which characters are numerically superior/inferior. I get the feeling the cast is balanced well enough that the difference would only be noticeable between opposite ends of the spectrum though

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

inthesto posted:

What's a good place to collect crabs

Hidden island in the northeast of the map has a ton.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Some fun Ningguang trivia.

Back in CBT2, she was completely different. Crystallize didn't drop crystals for shields, it debuffed the enemy so they did less damage with elemental attacks. She couldn't trigger this version crystallize without using her burst either. Her elemental skill didn't do damage until C2. She didn't get Jade Stars for hitting enemies either for her charge attack. Her main gimmick was that if you shot attacks through her Jade Screen, the attacks would power up.

She had Sucrose's crafting talent though, at 20% chance of a refund.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Has anyone had additional experience regarding the multiplayer account hack thing where players can hi-jack accounts by joining co-op worlds? A little hesitant to do the co-op meteor event because of it and just did some single player runs earlier.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Superconduct with Chongyun specifically is kind of weird because his skill turns off the party's ability for non-bow users to benefit from the defense down debuff.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Prototype Malice has HP% as a substat which makes it pretty inferior to pretty much every other catalyst if you're using Ningguang as a damage dealer. But since Ningguang can charge her burst so fast (she's the only 40 energy catalyst user), you will be able to trigger the HP regen/energy regen on cooldown which provides a pretty decent amount of sustained healing for the party on top of the geo crystals she'll constantly be making.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Vargs posted:

Even if Zhongli synergizes well with Ninggaung I think I'd have a hard time finding a spot for him. Ning is geo which is pretty much trash for elemental shield-breaking. Definitely want to shove Venti in there since his ult works so unbelievably well with Ningguang, and anemo is also crap vs elemental shields except in very specific situations. Toss in geo Zhongli and that leaves a whopping 1 slot for an actual normal element. Hope you like pelting Fatui skirmishers and abyss mages with approximately a thousand rocks each.

There was a video of Zhongli a while back that I can't seem to find that suggested that one of his abilities turned enemy shields into Geo element. I can't find it again and I really hope it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me because that would solve a lot of problems a double Geo team would have if they could always turn shields into Geo to destroy.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Does Chongyun's ice field give every hit a chance to reset CD for the Sacrificial greatsword?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
But weapons also have the worst domain in the game in Cecilia Garden and the slowing water status.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I got a bunch of Sucroses from the permanent banner somehow so I'm going to start investing a team that looks like Xingqiu, Chongyun, Sucrose + additional greatsword user (probably Xinyan). The idea here is that Xingqiu's perma wet application and Chogyun's cryo applications will allow me to constantly shatter with Chongyun or Xinyan and Sucrose can buff up the party EM to make those shatter hits work.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

gandlethorpe posted:

Diona for Cryo resonance, shield, healing, and bow for those occasional headshots!

This has been my main squad for for however long Diona's been available (and before that I still used the other three+Kaeya). It trivializes like 95% of the content in the game, and the rest is poo poo where they just throw Cryo slimes and Abyss mages at you.

Sounds like a good idea. This is a B team that I'll probably use for dailies or exploring when I just want a change of pace. I have a guaranteed on banner pity for my next 5* character so I think I'll use Ganyu instead of Diona. 3 weeks worth of resin building this team up should be enough.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The magic crystal/clusters changing locations with 1.2 seems to be related to the leylines also being stuck and not rotating during 1.1 as well.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If you're not sure what you want to spend your resin on early game and don't want to "waste" any, the best things to do are the world bosses (the cubes and the flowers) if you know which characters you want to ascend. The drops from those bosses improve the least as you increase world level and you will need many many drops from them at higher levels anyway.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Messenger has a kind of an absurd weapon effect but being locked to a 3* weapon does no favors for its actual stats.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I've been using Mona with Ganyu and the ranged application of wet is definitely nice. Xingqiu has just as good wet application if not better due to the rotating swords applying it, but it feels like a waste not being able to utilize his burst to its fullest with Ganyu.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The reason Ganyu is so F2P friendly is that she can do a lot of damage without worrying about substat rolls. With Cryo resonance and a Blizzard set, she'll naturally get up to 80% crit chance against frozen enemies without any crit chance on her gear otherwise. This means you only really need to focus on getting two substat rolls (atk% and crit damage) instead of three. But even then, against enemies with weakspots you don't even need the crit% that the Blizzard set provides.

Her damage ceiling relies on melt though, which contradicts the Blizzard set, so Wanderer's ends up being the better choice for that.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

No Wave posted:

I'm not really convinced by melt for general use cases. It's better for when you're trying to clear floors in under 3 minutes, which I guess is what the abyss eventually comes down to. But for general use cases it seems like you really want to be able to spam her Q.

Yeah, for just generic overworld stuff I've been doing just fine with 4 piece Blizzard and a prototype bow. Ganyu has a bit of trouble with the wooden/rock shield mobs but otherwise she cleans up in overworld exploration.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Chinese commercial for Genshin Impact for Chinese New Year's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeBkUuU3ZNE

Even grandpa isn't immune to Klee.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I wonder if there's any correlation between the gauge and how long a cryo character can keep water frozen.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

dogsicle posted:

it's weirdly disappointing how little feedback the Jade Spear gives you on where you stack progress/bonus is at, unless i'm missing something

guess i'll send a complaint and see if they do anything with it

The Jade Spear glows green when you have max stacks. The tip of it is like a firey green aura.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For farming materials I've tried to just mentally note where there's a large density of a certain type of thing and just farm that whenever I'm feeling up for it instead of entire routes.

So for Cor Lapis, the top of Mt. Hulao has like 8 or so all pretty close to each other at the top, and like 5 or 6 more as you descend the mountain.

Similar spots are like the cave next to the weapon material dungeon in Liyue for Noct Jade, just outside Mondstadt for Dandelions, the bridges in Qingce village for pinecones, the northern camp in Dadalupa Gorge for Sunsettia, the southern house next to the winery for carrots, etc.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I wouldn't do the full artifact farm route, but I do go to the bunker every time I remember it. It helps that on the way there's two whopperflowers and a fatui agent for some of their drops as well.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Honestly, White Tassel is probably the best completely F2P spear for both Xiao and Hu Tao. You've probably pulled enough of them to get to R5 and crit rate substat is pretty good. Gonna need a lot of atk% rolls to make up for the low base attack though.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Scaling on talents increases past level 6 generally. If Mora is tight, I'd only upgrade the talents that see the most use on the character though.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Mines are incredibly strong and can easily be placed as emergencies to stop enemies from running past. Doubly so if you can get a reaction with them with any source of ice/water AoE.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

I think it was answered up thread but I’m trying to build my Geo team and I’ve got a 90 Zhongli, 90 (C5)Ningguang, 80 (C6) Diona... Who would make a good 4th? I was thinking just throwing my C6 Fischl but would anyone else be better? I have pretty much every character so :shrug:

If you want to use Fischl, I'd replace Diona with Xiangling. Ningguang's normal attacks track pretty well and you can actually get gravity damage with her by comboing off of an overload explosion with the gate + several auto attacks + ult to juggle enemies in the air high enough to have them suffer fall damage when they fall.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Zwiebel posted:

This probably isn't super optimal or particularly special, but it's some additional Ningguang nonsense you can add to the pile of actually good advice:

I put the Prototype Amber catalyst (one of the four star catalysts you craft at a smith) on Ning and essentially end up using her as a healer in some teams, since I don't really have many healers or particularly good ones.
The Prototype Amber gives the caster a good amount of energy back whenever they use their bursts and heals the team over time. Ningguangs burst is super cheap since it only costs 40 Energy, it has quite a lot of invincibility frames during its activation and the only limiting factor ends up being the relatively short cooldown.
So it's Skill -> Attack a few times to build up rocks -> Burst -> Skill -> do whatever while waiting for the cooldown -> repeat.
Heals the entire team for a good percentage of their max health and is pretty self-sufficient.

Yeah, Prototype Amber + scholar 4 piece set on Ning is a pretty decent support set. You constantly build energy for the rest of the team and essentially provide a 1% HP per second regen for the rest of your team if you can ult on CD. It won't erase a big mistake instantly but it definitely keeps the party healthy for repeated runs in domains or just overworld traveling.

Plus, Ning has really high stagger modifiers on her attacks so even though her damage won't be amazing with this setup, she'll stagger the enemies long enough to let the rest of the team do work.

There's no other 40 energy ult catalyst user in the game, so it's a niche particularly well suited for Ningguang at the moment especially considering she builds a lot of energy for herself with C2.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Chests will also sometimes be visible from a distance, but vanish when you approach. I've seen this happen several times and each time it was because there was a quest that had spawned in the zone where the chest was supposed to be and erased it temporarily until I went back to it the next day when the quest was finished and the reset timer had rolled around.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There is one sort of quirk with Hu Tao's stats from the current datamined stuff that's important to consider when gearing her. At max level, she has 106 base attack. This is incredibly incredibly low, even Barbara has more base attack than her (159).

With weapon attack factored in, that's somewhere between 560 - 750 attack depending on the 4 or 5* weapon used (or even as low as 507 if you have had no luck with polearm gacha and are planning to use the White Tassel). This means that flat atk substats while still worse than atk% aren't that much worse because of her low base attack. This also means that HP% is very good on her because of the gigantic conversion she gets with her elemental skill.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Despite Hu Tao's base attack being low, her elemental skill jacks up her actual attack stat to super high levels. This means you want to swap her in, use her skill, then swap her out when she's done. She even has an ascension talent that gives the rest of your party 12% crit when her skill expires.

At level 80/80 with a rank 8 skill, that's 5.66% of her HP that'll get converted into ATK. With 13721 base HP, that's 777 extra attack. The math works out such that pumping her HP up for her skill conversion is worth it over her raw attack stat.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One trick against Tartaglia is that when he places the ring around you and is prepping for the dive attack, you can cleanse the ring by running into the edge of the arena and inflicting yourself with pyro. Trying to i-frame the dive is really hard if it's right on top of you but cleansing the ring off and then just outranging it is a lot simpler.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For Hu Tao I believe 4 piece Crimson, Lavawalker, or Gladiator would be good sets for her.

Crimson if you're planning to have her trigger reactions with her attacks with persistent sources of hydro or cryo.

Lavawalker or Gladiator otherwise. Lavawalker will miss the damage boost as you're applying pyro on the first hits but then apply to everything. Gladiator won't boost her charge attack or the DoT, but will provide some extra atk%. However, due to her base attack being quite low it's not worth that much. This is why I wouldn't recommend 2 piece crimson + 2 piece gladiator.

For main stats artifacts, HP% sands, pyro goblet, crit damage/rate circlet. For substats, HP% is better than atk% and flat HP is not a dead roll for her either.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Fun fact, during the CBT2 the Lantern Festival was completely different. The materials for the lanterns didn't drop nearly as often as they did now, but they also allowed you to swap materials at a 1:1 ratio with each other so it didn't really matter too much. The rewards were that you would get a grab-bag of artifacts, weapon exp crystals, mora, and character exp books for each lantern you released with up to 10 per day. You had to write a message on each lantern and there was a website available where you could read the lantern wishes that everyone else posted. Due to the extremely aggressive profanity filter a lot of the default messages couldn't be used for the lanterns.

The festival tracked the progress of everyone playing at the time and rewards were unlocked as more and more people release lanterns. The final reward was a full set of 5* Wanderer's Troupe artifacts.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I like how Hu Tao's playstyle is vaguely reminiscent of her general character theme. She ping pongs her own HP and walks between life and death in her own gameplay.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It gets ignored. For F2P options, White Tassel may not a bad choice due to its good substat.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Any whales or people who know whales have C6 Hu Tao and can test something?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/lvw09e/book_tricking_and_the_stasis_theory/

According to this, some timers continue to run even when opening a pause menu. So I'm wondering if it's possible to trigger Hu Tao's C6, then open the menu for a minute to let its timer refresh, and then unpause and have essentially an immortal character as long as you're willing to pause for a minute between getting hit.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Alongside the listed elements, I think there are some hidden element values the most notable being explosive/destructive.

Certain things are more effectively damage by this, some being Lawachurl geo shields/ice shields, rock shield Hilichurl/Mitachurls, and ores. Attacks that have this property are sword/polearm plunge attacks, all attacks done by greatswords, Klee's auto attacks, overloaded, and most Geo attacks. However, I don't think the explosive property is innate to Geo elemental damage. It just so happens that almost every single instance of Geo elemental damage the player can use has this property. One of the exceptions can be seen if you try to break rocks using Geo Traveler's C6. Despite the final hit being Geo element, it doesn't break Mitachurl rock shields any more effectively than regular sword attacks. On the other hand, Anemo Traveler's wind blade on the auto attack can pop Dandelions for gathering like other Anemo things. Furthermore, the strength of this hidden element also differs depending on the attack that triggers it. This can be seen with how Beidou takes 4 attacks to break rocks if you start from the beginning of her attack chain, but only takes 3 her final hit is one of the ones involved.

For Abyss Mage shields, I believe that this explosive property counts as one additional source of damage to break through the shields, making them more effective than just regular attacks or wrong elements, but still less effective than the correct element overall.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Figure out the highest density routes for her mats and farm those instead of trying to clear out the map every day. Since Hu Tao needs Whopperflower juice, just hit up the 4 or 5 spots that have 2x flowers that spawn and you'll get there over time without burning out.

I would personally do artifacts first since her best set(s) come from the fire dungeon where she herself isn't that useful so you can't even really use her in there. So might as well get her artifacts first and then use her to farm her own mats later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I smacked an enemy with Hu Tao's ult and unlocked the 50k crit damage achievement. That was fun.