Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
For a game this complicated there aren't that many noob traps. The biggest ones are:

1.) Don't refine your 4* weapons right away, prototype drops are super rare and even gacha 4*s you'll often want 2x of the same weapon (Favonious/Sacrifical weapons especially). This is imo by far the biggest way players regularly hurt themselves.
2.) Don't use primos to roll on standard banner unless you know what you're getting into
3.) Don't do any artifact domains until at least AR40 (I'm still waiting until AR45)
4.) Don't spend stardust on anything except the in-shop 4* or maybe pulls. You're given extra stardust at the beginning of the game but you accumulate it very slowly, it takes something like 140 pulls to get enough stardust to buy another 4*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sirbloody posted:

Managed to get a Childe before pity last night and trying to figure out a decent team comp with him. I have 2 teams in mind but not sure how well they will work.

Team 1: Childe, Xing C1 (Or Diluc but I don't think I can have a good team with both of them on it) , Sucrose , and Bennet
Team 2: Childe, Xing C1 , Sucrose and Ningguan (C4 or 5 I cannot remember). No healer but hey shields

Team 1 would focus on vaporize Team 2 would focus on Elemental damage?

Currently I have the following unlocked: Childe, Diluc , Xing C1 , Ningguan C4 , Sucrose (C1 I think) , Beido C2 (or 3) , Barb C1 , Chong C1 , Noel (C1 or 2 ) , Diona , Amber, Keya, Lisa . Sadly it just might not be too viable for me to make a team dedicated to Childe just yet but I am trying to see what my options are.
The comp I'm going to test out is Childe, Bennett, Xiangling, Xingqiu. The idea is you attack with childe and build your ult, swap to bennett (using Xingqiu's ult if it's up) and do Bennett's broken DPS/Healer/Ult recharge thing, drop gyouba and Xiangling's ult if it's up and swap back to Childe to ult and repeat the process.

Xingqiu is optional and in the abyss it would be more realistic to save that slot for whatever you need to counter the enemies.

Taking turns between Diluc and Childe sounds pretty sweet because they can set each others' ults up so well. But if it were me I'd be trying to split my 5*s up into two separate teams.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 12, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sirbloody posted:

I think I read somewhere that the water resonance isn't too good so it is not recommended to run 2 on a team.

As for the Diluc , yeah I will need to set up another team for him I am not too far into the Abyss yet so I do not need another team just yet.
Resonance doesn't really matter in general. Running another water with Childe is appealing because Childe can let other water characters ult on cooldown.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's a great idea but yeah the data's just not there yet. Boss drop scaling is so important for planning purposes and atm it's a black box. Right now I'm planning on doing zero bosses between AR45 and AR50 because they're the only thing besides world bosses that continue to scale past AR45.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The most optimal long-term way to spend your time after AR40 is to farm all of the weapon ascension mats you will ever need. I don't think I'm really that patient though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think you will have much more fun with 99% of the game tearing up the overworld with Childe. His abyss struggles are kind of real but I am much happier with Childe in the lead and Xiangling swapping to support. I'd only rather have Xiangling vs overleveled Fatui, Samachurls, and the wolf, Childe has a much easier time with everything else.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 12, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Elemental sight is annoying to use but you'll never find that violetgrass without it. If you want Xinyan start gathering it now!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Geomancing posted:

If you're not interested in squeezing every last fraction of a percentage of damage out of a team composition, or going for that fraction of a second quicker completion time in the Spiral Abyss, do you have to worry about any of this stuff? I'm basically just playing for exploration, story, sidequests, that kind of thing.
You don't have to worry about it at all. You can beat everything outside of the abyss comfortably with a comp of Xiangling, Fishl, and Barbara just using your Es and Qs every so often.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kater posted:

game bugged out and didn't open chapter ten of the adventure log after i finished chapter 9.
I've got sad news for you friend... that's no bug.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Elemental mastery is strong it's just hard to fit on your artifacts. Most offensive characters want pyro/lightning/physical % on their goblet and crit on their hat and most supports are more interested in energy recharge on their timepiece than EM. There are a few exceptions like Fishl where elemental mastery on timepiece is probably better but there are so few supports that would turn down 50% ult recharge.

If your other artifacts haven't rolled you any crit substats and you don't have a crit weapon it might be better to go EM on hat than crit for support units, especially anemos.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 13, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

you get 18 AR XP. He's supposed to very rarely drop a trivial amount of primogems but I've only gotten cabbages.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

Finally got a 5* gacha weapon, and it's this fuckin thing:

I thought it might be fun on Noelle since she's always starved for Energy, but the procs only scale with Physical Damage so they don't work with her ult.

Is this thing good on anyone? Chongyun maybe?
That weapon is amazing. Chongyun is a great choice because his ult is only 40 energy so you can get huge uptime on the busted passive. If I had one of those I would swap who my carry was immediately.

That weapon is also generally known as BIS for Diluc for the same reason.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 13, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The reason is because the jump in rewards between 40 and 45 for artifacts is massive. You get more shots at the set you actually want and three times as many 5*s (which, long-term, will be all you care about). This means that one AR45 run is worth something like 1.5 AR40 runs in extremely rough terms (or even more in the ultra long term where all that matters is getting to see more golds).

By comparison, every other reward scales by 20% or less between AR40 and AR45 and weapon mats don't scale at all after AR40. So you're better off doing the things that scale less now and the things that scale more later.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't mulch any 3 star weapons. Almost every 3 star weapon sucks but there's just no reason to. I mostly just use mystic enhancement ore but sometimes mulch all my 1 and 2 star weapons.

There's no weapon ore equivalent for artifacts as the game wants you to run artifact domains a lot eventually.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

berenzen posted:

1 and 2 star weapons are fine to chew up, but there's quite a few 3* weapons that are better than 4* weapons for certain roles. Off the top of my head Thrilling Tales, Debate Club, Fillet blade, and skyrider sword will outscale a lot of 4* weapons until AR35 when the base stats of the weapons make enough of a difference to outperform the passives of those weapons.
Skyrider Sword and Thrilling Tales are the only ones where putting materials into them isn't always a waste of resin within the first month of playing (Thrilling Tales is BIS for Barbara, Skyrider Sword can find a holder unless you've pulled multiple Favonious/Sacrifical Swords). Debate Club and Fillet Blade are trap weapons you shouldn't be putting anything into unless you have no other choice, the game is easy pre-AR35 and you shouldn't ever run a domain to upgrade them.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 13, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Learned about a much better site than genshin.gg today: https://genshin.honeyhunterworld.com/

It even has some better information than the wiki provides, like hero and talent stats per level. There's some datamined stuff about unreleased content though, so minor spoiler warning.

Also: bunch of leaks about the next major update (MAJOR SPOILER WARNING)

God I want that cryo artifact set
I think it's an incredibly elaborate troll. Those are the same ability names as the cryo amber leak (which couldn't possibly be real). The sword is too good to be true and the hydro 4-piece bonus makes no sense. And the cryo 4 piece bonus is the resonance bonus, there's no way that would be it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm more willing to believe that Mihoyo is making fake leaks. There's just too much off about this. They're launching a new region and having an event where you deal +60% damage to the enemies there? It's totally bizarre. There's no way they're releasing Amber as a 5*, they've been too competent.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kater posted:

Any recommends for what to focus on to drag this group of shitters through Abyss 10? Don't have any non-generic artifacts so I need to decide what/who to focus on. Floor 10 is heavily Fire resistant and has no bonus to much of anything so Klee being my primary is a bit of a catastrophe. Noelle and Jean are my other built up DPS options, with Jean slightly behind. I can manage the first two rooms but 3 is a complete disaster. Both A and B sides are fierce as gently caress

My thoughts is getting Sucrose to 60 and some of that Anemo set would be the strongest power up.
Second team is Klee and Barbara for sure. I don't think this should be too much trouble those two can probably beat the whole side on their own though the two whoppers at the end might be a little tanky.

First team is harder. You require water for the fatui so Xingqiu is a given. After that the biggest challenge is the whopperflowers. Idk if Noelle/Jean/Fishl can do enough damage but it's probably your only option for now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'd just hold onto it unless you really need it. Prototype Grudge is an extremely good support spear and you don't know who you'll pull in the future.

Event details released: https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/news/detail/6751

The 60% damage amp makes the leaks from last page seem much more believable......

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

As someone who's been using Keqing for all of the game I was very happy with her story 5 and 6. She believes that Liyue should govern itself, but she relies on the example that Rex Lapis set in order to do so (which eventually ended up being exactly Rex's intention). I'm hoping some of that makes it into her story quest.

EDIT: Found out something neat about gliders - the cross on the glider's back tells you where you're going to land if you move the camera directly above you and stop moving forward. Useful for that geronimo achievement.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 14, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Childe has two incredible tools. His normal attacks are amazing, they blow things up with riptide and give him tons of energy there's not much to it, you don't need more than 50% crit rate.

The other one is his melee form Q does huge single-hit damage using one of the only elements that has a 2x damage amplifier reaction. You can get mona-level vaporizes using him very easily (and with a fatter multiplier).

Xiangling is excellent for the first game plan, pyronado will get vaporizes through its entire duration and gyouba isn't useless. Bennett is imo currently the best at setting up vaporizes for Childe.

This also means that depending on what you're biased towards his best weapon changes. Rust is great to buff his normals but doesn't have any special synergy with his Q, Stringless gives elemental mastery which boosts vaporize but doesn't do anything with his normal attacks. Viridescent Hunt is somewhere in the middle because it buffs both (by letting you use a crit dmg helm instead of a crit rate helm). Skyward Harp is just better than all of the above so obviously you'd use that if you had it.

I'm currently using Rust but will be getting Viridescent Hunt for Fischl anyways so might try it out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Last I heard Stringless didn't work with his normal attacks and only applied to the initial AOE... I haven't tested it though.

I'd need the link because there isn't really an easy way to calculate how much damage 25% crit rate is, it's totally contingent on what your crit damage is.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 14, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Appreciate the link. Two EBs every 15 seconds is impossible so idk why he went with that for the final DPS chart.

He's also using crit numbers that are just too low to accurate describe the crit rate weapons. He's using base crit rate and base crit damage which will make Hunt and Harp look substantially worse than they are.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 14, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My bad, I misread it.

The Stringless would pull insanely ahead of the other 4*s if his Qs were actually set up for vaporize as well due to its innate EM.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 14, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Amuys posted:

Well got C0 Childe from the pity but the only 4 star bow I got is the Favonious. Are the forgeable bows any good?
None of them is great. Probably the most annoying thing about Childe is the craftables are so lame. I'd go Crescent if you're totally f2p, Viridescent Hunt if you're buying BP. Crescent is a totally mediocre weapon but Compound and Favonious are quite bad fits for Childe.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 14, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm using Kaeya over Chongyun for my Cryo because I prefer the Sword moveset over the Greatsword. I've given Kaeya a 3 Star Fillet Blade (level 60) and I have two more Fillet Blades. Should I sacrifice the extra Fillet Blades to the main Fillet Blade for increased attack damage if Gash procs?

Gash: On hit, has 50% chance to deal 240% ATK DMG to a single enemy. Can only occur once every 15s. The stats in italics will improve upon refinement.
You will get many more fillet blades. I would strongly encourage you to craft a prototype rancour instead though, it is a very good fit for DPS Kaeya.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The advice to always have your characters ready to level never made sense to me. World bosses are extremely predictable, the only ones you could have real trouble with after fighting them a dozen times are Geo and Oceanid and that would be the first thing you're going to do after you raise your WL so it doesn't really make a difference if you do it before or after.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kater posted:

Hey thanks yall and everyone for the tips but I have a real dumb thing to ask like... how do people use Barbara? I pulled Jean on the beginner banner so I've always used Jean for healing. And its very simple early game because she's a fine attacker and attacking heals and makes energy and you get the big heal and big damage and thats all simple things that you want to be doing.

Do people keep Barbara out and attacking in order to heal, or are you supposed to trust in the regen? I always just feel scared swapping to an already damaged person and hoping you don't take more damage than you are getting back. You surely aren't supposed to pre-emptively use the shield right?

And actually now that I'm asking that and looking at her numbers I haven't leveled her talents and maybe that's why I'm not understanding how she works. And also maybe the unleveled artifacts. Is it ever worth using something stronger than Thrilling Tales on her? The burst is just a heal so I'm guessing no.
You don't really have to level her talents. On floor 10 you want to melody loop on cooldown to remove the debuff. In general melody loop isn't very good healing on a low level Barbara so you'll have to do it manually with her autos when someone is low.

I'm not recommending Barbara second half because of her healing, it's because she has such an easy time taking all the abyss mage shields out which is something Klee can't really do. If you're uncomfortable with Barbara healing you can totally move Noelle or Jean onto the bottom as well if you don't need them top. Either way I wouldn't put any resources into Barbara if I were you, you have two other very high level healers and even Enviosity (a streamer who owns seven characters) hasn't leveled his Barbara past 50.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 15, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

zgrowler2 posted:

As someone doing exactly this how punishing is the jump from WL3 to WL5? I've been putting off WL3 to WL4 for lack of exp books, dunno if that's ultimately counterproductive. I think I have enough banked to barely hit 38 if I did the quest now.
You should always ascend asap because it makes leylines and bosses more profitable. I've never heard of anyone bricking their account by ascending... if you're strong enough to pass the ascension quest, you're strong enough for the next WL.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

With 1.1 you can talk to the blacksmiths in each region to spawn crystals + magical crystals in every day. You can do the same with Draff in Springvale and Black Shoulder south of Liyue standing outside the mines. This can get you about 20 extra crystal per day (and a bunch of worthless magical crystals). If you're on a crystal farming day farm your crystals first, then spawn them in to maximize what you get.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You can try eating food (like Golden Crab and Adeptus' Temptation) to see if that helps. I know a lot of people use co-op as well. I've discovered the secret technique vs Cicin mages is to freeze them but it requires some specific characters.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I assume Beidou/Childe synergy is just Beidou Q then auto with Childe, full energy regen on Beidou and run a Fishl to build electro ult faster.

Pierson posted:

I mean between three expeditions a day and general collecting and other stuff it feels easy enough to get them, and a few hundred will take a weapon from 1-60 or so really quick. The new magic chunks that take up 10 resin seem like a much worse deal.
When I hit AR50 I will need 1500 mystical ores to upgrade the six weapons I care about to 90. If my weapons were 5* I would need 2250. I think the rate on the blacksmith is really terrible but people will run out of crystals.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Kinda torn whether to pull more on this banner. I'd enjoy any 4* constellation going up up UP, but I am at 54 pulls and scared I'll pull Childe... I'll probably throw in at least few more pulls, I guess.
You're reasonably safe for 15 more pulls. The statistics people have gathered shows it only goes up starting at 75 (but I tend to stop at 70 just out of paranoia).

I love Childe, he's exactly the kind of character I like, but he's admittedly no help at all on floor 12. I was hoping the abyss would change this reset but there's no indication that will happen.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 15, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The pass this week started on Wednesday so nobody will finish that BP quest without refreshing this week.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you're planning on doing the Spiral Abyss you'll need to decide on how you want your second team set up. Razor is your main attacker unit for team 1, and you need to choose who your main attacker on team 2 should be. Your options look to be Jean, Xiangling (with the craftable Crescent Pike), or Ningguang. I only have any experience with Xiangling who's serviceable (got me to floor 11) but definitely a cut below Razor. Jean and Ningguang I know nothing about.

Whoever you decide on will shape the rest of your decisions. You'll want to level that character to 80. After that your levels look pretty decent in general so I'm not sure where your resin should go, it will depend on how you want to split up your characters between the two teams.

If you're not planning on doing abyss and are happy with how your team is doing just hold onto your books. You might pull a unit you really want to level up later on.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 15, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Is it worth spending Talent books on Xiangling's Skill and Burst if most of what I do with her is spam regular attacks?

Like, I still drop Gouba when I can (to turn on the Pike's ability) and use her Burst when it's charged, but AAing is the majority of my usage.
It doesn't really matter which one you use more. Upgrade the abilities that you use a lot and it sounds like you use her burst and skill a lot.

Talents that aren't worth upgrading are talents that don't do much (Midnight Phantasmagoria), talents for abilities you don't use (Venti's normal attack), or talents that upgrade attributes you don't care about (Frostgnaw).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

C1 Bennett is really overemphasized. He is the same OP guy at C0. I owned C0 for a long time and got C1 recently and I haven't noticed any real difference. Imo C1 Diona is much more important than C1 Bennett.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The thing that I was not expecting when I used his ult was just how fast the healing was. It's totally unreasonable. His normal scaling and E scaling is pretty crap so I can understand why he was written off if people didn't build him and see just how busted the Q's healing was.

I'm less sympathetic to anyone sleeping on energy recharge as a mechanic. Anyone with any MOBA experience should know how broken cooldown reduction is.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 16, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Batigh posted:

Hey, y'all, anyone have advice for dodging the Oceanid's water bombs? I-framing through them with bursts prevents the damage just fine, but it doesn't seem to count as 'not getting hit' for the new achievement. The same seems to be true for the 8-3 no-hit achievement, as i dodged the cryo flower's ice spin via burst i-frames once and (unless I didn't realize I got tagged later) that also didn't trigger.

A few tries later, I was able to finish the latter achievement by one-cycling the cryo flower (which granted another achievement, heyo), but I'm still stuck on Oceanid's.
I got lucky with Oceanid and he didn't spawn any bombs. That'll probably work for anyone... eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The demand for tier lists is very high because you have to invest so much into each character. You're going to be fighting an uphill battle with Kaeya main DPS vs Razor main DPS so I'm sympathetic to them. Like if people didn't discuss the metagame at all nobody would know about Crescent Pike Xiangling. It's fine making and using tier lists (especially tier lists by role) if you go to the effort of understanding why each character is where they are.