Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Isn't it a thing in French public life that the personal lives of politicians are at least notionally off-limits as far as who the President or whoever else is involved with? I remember seeing something about Sarkozy years ago that essentially said "it would be a big deal here, but in France they don't give a poo poo about this kind of thing". Someone with Trump's marital history wouldn't raise an eyebrow over there whereas in the US there's a shitton of disingenuous moralizing regarding duration/number of marriages as well as scrutiny of the partner themselves.

Macron's wife is less busted than I would guess based on age alone and she's older than Merkel, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

with a relatively effective public healthcare system and welfare state, 35 hour work week and a politically mobilized population

that sounds like a pretty appealing future for the good old US of A

I really like the videos like the time Airline company upper management had to flee for their lives over a chainlink fence after announcing mass layoffs.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

100YrsofAttitude posted:

All my French friends give me poo poo about this, but how does no one bring up the fact that the president's teacher groomed him since he was a teen and eventually married him?

Like the guy's a condescending prick, but that's still pretty hosed up.

This is just...the French way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

etalian posted:

I really like the videos like the time Airline company upper management had to flee for their lives over a chainlink fence after announcing mass layoffs.

the virgin CHAZ vs the Chad ZAD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_to_Defend

French anarchists and other protestors have been occupying substantial chunks of land to protect farmland and the environment on and off for the last 30 years.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Isn't it a thing in French public life that the personal lives of politicians are at least notionally off-limits as far as who the President or whoever else is involved with? I remember seeing something about Sarkozy years ago that essentially said "it would be a big deal here, but in France they don't give a poo poo about this kind of thing". Someone with Trump's marital history wouldn't raise an eyebrow over there whereas in the US there's a shitton of disingenuous moralizing regarding duration/number of marriages as well as scrutiny of the partner themselves.

Macron's wife is less busted than I would guess based on age alone and she's older than Merkel, lol

Yeah pretty much. I don't know when the info came out but I'm pretty sure it was known at the time, but Mitterand, the president in the 80's, famously had a whole second family or something.

And you know generally speaking they're right. A person's affairs or love life is their business, but rape is not cool, and DSK (Strasse-Kahn) got raked over the coals enough for that at least, and frankly a teacher dating and marrying their student personally grates me, being a teacher myself. It's hosed up.

Algund Eenboom posted:

The French invented multiple dishes that require brutal animal torture, and are proud of it

I've personally only had foie gras and well... it is really good.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Hollande's approval rating went up when it was revealed he was cheating on his wife

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Algund Eenboom posted:

Hollande's approval rating went up when it was revealed he was cheating on his wife

That was one of my fav stories.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

getting rid of moralism: good

problem is, without an enduring revolutionary sentiment, made chauvinism pretty loving persistent

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dreylad posted:

with a relatively effective public healthcare system and welfare state, 35 hour work week and a politically mobilized population

that sounds like a pretty appealing future for the good old US of A

france still has a revolutionary spirit

even when their protestors are reactionary in nature like the gilets jaunes, at least they reject docility

wheres my fanspeculative fiction where the Situation overthrew the Fifth Republic? (its all in French probably)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gilets jaunes reactionary? I know there were a couple of isolated incidents but by and large they seemed if not explicitly left wing at least traveling in vaguely the same direction

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think there was a perception a lot of them were like this

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eSports Chaebol posted:

france still has a revolutionary spirit

yes, the French aren't entirely awful but it's up to posters like you to actually show that it's true

they're mostly reprehensible

also I like the French language, I speak very little of it but it sounds nice

not French Canadian though, that stings the cochleas

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

And his name is pepe... how deep does this go

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Toute la gloire à le crapaud de l'hypnose!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

we startin on this here french bread for any particular reason or are some of us finally ready to acknowledge the gaul bastards for the colonial satans they are

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

france is why the us exists, the great grandaddy satan

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

one of my favorite lunches is a buckwheat crepe wrapped around a fried egg and gruyere

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i want some ramekins for french onion soup

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQhNPOxHWyk

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Doctor Jeep posted:

gilets jaunes reactionary? I know there were a couple of isolated incidents but by and large they seemed if not explicitly left wing at least traveling in vaguely the same direction

the gilets jaunes are largely uneducated, rural people who care a lot about cost of living issues. this means that they'll have some outright racists in their ranks but most importantly that their rhetoric will sound like that of the right because the right has been trying very hard to approach everyday language as a rhetorical style while the left has leaned heavily into jargoned inclusivity

so they're reactionary in a sense, if one accepts that language is politics

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think most people who think the gilets juanes are reactionary are thinking about all the international copycats that popped up that WERE hella reactionary, honestly.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

V. Illych L. posted:

the gilets jaunes are largely uneducated, rural people who care a lot about cost of living issues. this means that they'll have some outright racists in their ranks but most importantly that their rhetoric will sound like that of the right because the right has been trying very hard to approach everyday language as a rhetorical style while the left has leaned heavily into jargoned inclusivity

so they're reactionary in a sense, if one accepts that language is politics

i was mostly being sarcastic but the reason i joke about it is that their grievances are real but it is (to my limited understanding at least) basically a lumpenproletariat uprising

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

eSports Chaebol posted:

i was mostly being sarcastic but the reason i joke about it is that their grievances are real but it is (to my limited understanding at least) basically a lumpenproletariat uprising

nah the gilets jaunes are pretty solidly working class if not outright proletarian, the triggering incident was a regressive fee on petrol, which is not something the lumpen get massively worked up about

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

eSports Chaebol posted:

(to my limited understanding at least) basically a lumpenproletariat uprising

this is one of those situations where theory messes up things

The easiest way to start is that "lumpenproletariat" refers to the "bottom residue" (so to speak) of the underclass generated by capitalist activity: beggars and criminals, basically. It starts going downhill pretty quickly after that

Like, prostitutes would be considered lumpen, but they were organized and were rather important in places like Petrograd and Barcelona. The homeless? Nowadays you have homeless workers' leagues and movements around the world. "Oh, but we mean the voluntary homeless, not the unwilling". poo poo, many of the voluntary homeless are mentally ill people, are they really parasites?

though the poor who scabs or robs their fellow poor is imho a pretty straightforward example of who is lumpen nowadays

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

V. Illych L. posted:

nah the gilets jaunes are pretty solidly working class if not outright proletarian, the triggering incident was a regressive fee on petrol, which is not something the lumpen get massively worked up about

I believe part of the issue is the fuel tax was levied instead of a corporate carbon tax- the yellow vests are predominantly blue collar workers who either drive daily to work or drive as their actual job. Americans would probably balk at the standard price of fuel in Europe as it is, and the same thing is happening there with regards to wage stagnation, austerity, and neoliberal "reform"- so any increase, especially a "sin" tax (which is essentially what it is given the people paying it don't have an alternative to go greener), is very noticeable, particularly if the decision is being moralized while at the same time ignoring the companies that should pay (like Total).

The Canadian yellow vest protests were funny because the gilet jaune itself is something those drivers are mandated to have in their vehicle, so it was a built-in symbol for them that was accessible and unifying. That law doesn't exist in Canada so everyone wearing one had to go out and buy one, lol.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

dead gay comedy forums posted:

The easiest way to start is that "lumpenproletariat" refers to the "bottom residue" (so to speak) of the underclass generated by capitalist activity: beggars and criminals, basically. It starts going downhill pretty quickly after that

Like, prostitutes would be considered lumpen, but they were organized and were rather important in places like Petrograd and Barcelona. The homeless? Nowadays you have homeless workers' leagues and movements around the world. "Oh, but we mean the voluntary homeless, not the unwilling". poo poo, many of the voluntary homeless are mentally ill people, are they really parasites?

though the poor who scabs or robs their fellow poor is imho a pretty straightforward example of who is lumpen nowadays

I'm intrigued to see various kinds of urban workers and marginalized peoples described as lumpen. I thought the origin of the phrase lumpenproletariat was 18th Brumaire and that it referred to rural peasants in France who were too atomized to come together as "a class for itself". i'll admit I get this understanding via one of Matt Christman's coked up podcast rants rather than having read the relevant Marxist tracts myself, but i'm curious (and you seem well read): does Marx discuss urban lumpenproletarians or is that something from more recent literature?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

this is one of those situations where theory messes up things

This. As much as class still exists, the concept of class is pretty much relegated to academia at this point. Proletariat, lumpenproletariat, bourgeois and petit bourgeois do not conceive of themselves as such. Everyone is a temporarily embarrassed millionaire, who is waiting for luck to change their circumstance, working hard, or otherwise devising some way in their mind to not be what they are right now.

Nobody wants to identify as a lumpenprole, because psychologically that acknowledgement is more damaging than the fantasy of upward mobility. That's why despite the fact the US has basically a permanent underclass of overworked and impoverished people they've never risen up, and never will.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Spazmo posted:

I'm intrigued to see various kinds of urban workers and marginalized peoples described as lumpen. I thought the origin of the phrase lumpenproletariat was 18th Brumaire and that it referred to rural peasants in France who were too atomized to come together as "a class for itself". i'll admit I get this understanding via one of Matt Christman's coked up podcast rants rather than having read the relevant Marxist tracts myself, but i'm curious (and you seem well read): does Marx discuss urban lumpenproletarians or is that something from more recent literature?

This is what 18th Brumaire says: "Alongside decayed roués with dubious means of subsistence and of dubious origin, alongside ruined and adventurous offshoots of the bourgeoisie, were vagabonds, discharged soldiers, discharged jailbirds, escaped galley slaves, swindlers, mountebanks, lazzaroni, pickpockets, tricksters, gamblers, maquereaux [pimps], brothel keepers, porters, literati, organ grinders, ragpickers, knife grinders, tinkers, beggars — in short, the whole indefinite, disintegrated mass, thrown hither and thither, which the French call la bohème; from this kindred element Bonaparte formed the core of the Society of December 10. A "benevolent society" - insofar as, like Bonaparte, all its members felt the need of benefiting themselves at the expense of the laboring nation. This Bonaparte, who constitutes himself chief of the lumpenproletariat, who here alone rediscovers in mass form the interests which he personally pursues, who recognizes in this scum, offal, refuse of all classes the only class upon which he can base himself unconditionally, is the real Bonaparte, the Bonaparte sans phrase."

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

uncop posted:

This is what 18th Brumaire says: "Alongside decayed roués with dubious means of subsistence and of dubious origin, alongside ruined and adventurous offshoots of the bourgeoisie, were vagabonds, discharged soldiers, discharged jailbirds, escaped galley slaves, swindlers, mountebanks, lazzaroni, pickpockets, tricksters, gamblers, maquereaux [pimps], brothel keepers, porters, literati, organ grinders, ragpickers, knife grinders, tinkers, beggars — in short, the whole indefinite, disintegrated mass, thrown hither and thither, which the French call la bohème; from this kindred element Bonaparte formed the core of the Society of December 10. A "benevolent society" - insofar as, like Bonaparte, all its members felt the need of benefiting themselves at the expense of the laboring nation. This Bonaparte, who constitutes himself chief of the lumpenproletariat, who here alone rediscovers in mass form the interests which he personally pursues, who recognizes in this scum, offal, refuse of all classes the only class upon which he can base himself unconditionally, is the real Bonaparte, the Bonaparte sans phrase."

Thanks, this is really illuminating, and I appreciate the citation

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

uncop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHg-y78oaR4

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Spazmo posted:

thank you, while I appreciate your consideration, I am not exactly "well read", I am just an interested person who tries to contextualize what I know of theory to help along others build a worldview of solidarity. For specifics of Marxist analysis, uncop is an excellent poster and can elaborate much better than I in that sense :)

in this subject, I really disagree with Marx because the implication from the way he writes is that, imho, the incapacity to reach class consciousness there is something akin to a moral fault; this is a complicated mess because it is part of the basis of a "left moralism" that ultimately ends with sex workers not being workers, or certain artistic professions being not real labor, or criminals not being product of material circumstances; however, Marx was still a man of his time and wrote like one, so that judgment is to be expected, I just don't think it is right to extrapolate that to our time

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Marx was still a man of his time and wrote like one, so that judgment is to be expected, I just don't think it is right to extrapolate that to our time

The identity lines that people group themselves along are not an omission by Marx- rather, those differences are emphasized expressly to prevent those disparate groups from realizing what they have in common. They are not even a substitute for class, just a different expression of it- because whether you are gay, a person of color, etc., to say class doesn't apply to those struggles is ridiculous because those very identities are what the main social mass uses to define you as and keep you in a lower class of citizenry. Identity politics is a great way to create 'marginalized groups', because by virtue of their labor alienation they are already marginalized, and the problem gets to be redefined in a way that it can never be solved.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This thread was just an excuse for GA to post frogs and that owns