Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Toplowtech posted:

There was a lot more profit in looting foreign lands than in maintaining order at home. e: but yeah, fascism is colonialism at home.

Focault's Boomerang and all. Complete with how wild-eyed dictators are entirely optional, but the enforcement of 'civic order' and crackdown on anyone bringing up actual problems is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ah yes it is both sides that have been radicalised.
not that one side was perpetrating wide ranging cruelty and abuse of power which boiled over.

The Two reigns of terror quote by mark twain comes to mind

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

both sides lol. that dumb oval office should stick to china news

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Get it together frantz

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Egg Moron posted:

Get it together frantz

non

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Egg Moron posted:

Get it together frantz

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Is the French communist party doing anything? You'd think with violence and outrage like this now wpuld be the time to step forward

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KomradeX posted:

Is the French communist party doing anything? You'd think with violence and outrage like this now wpuld be the time to step forward

the pcf has gone from 21% in '69 to 2% last year. it's probably all students now plus the odd seventy-year-old bus driver

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

KomradeX posted:

they've been an eurocommunist non-entity for a long while now

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

KomradeX posted:

They put out a communique denouncing violence on both sides. Eurocommunist parties aren't ready to handle this type of situations and doesn't seem like there's any sort of leftist org that can

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

They put out a communique denouncing violence on both sides. Eurocommunist parties aren't ready to handle this type of situations and doesn't seem like there's any sort of leftist org that can

lol

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the dream died 30yrs ago

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Popy posted:

the dream died 30yrs ago

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what about LFI?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/phortuenti/status/1675576196904669184

If this is true things seem getting more serious than back in 2005

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

there won't be a revolution in the core

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the french get too much rep over 1789 and a bit of rioting every couple of years

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

That's loving pathetic

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Honest Thief posted:

himars in france when

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Palladium posted:

himars in france when

When the protests touch either the tour de france (which started on Saturday) or the bastille day parade in paris on the 14th.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

R. Mute posted:

"Now that's enough...

Facing these savage hordes, asking for calm is no longer enough, it must be imposed!

Restoring the republican order and putting the apprehended beyond the capacity to harm should be the only political signals to give.

In the face of such exactions, the police family must stand together.

Our colleagues, like the majority of citizens, can no longer bear the tyranny of these violent minorities.

The time is not for union action, but for combat against these "pests". Surrendering, capitulating, and pleasing them by laying down arms are not the solutions in light of the gravity of the situation.

All means must be put in place to restore the rule of law as quickly as possible.

Once restored, we already know that we will relive this mess that we have been enduring for decades.

For these reasons, Alliance Police Nationale and UNSA Police will take their responsibilities and warn the government from now on that at the end, we will be in action and without concrete measures for the legal protection of the Police, an appropriate penal response, significant means provided, the police will judge the extent of the consideration given.

Today the police are in combat because we are at war. Tomorrow we will be in resistance and the government will have to become aware of it."

A whole lot of right wingers are using this as a signal to go full jackboot.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
wine bottle at 0:13
twitchcon is unaffected but video games are responsible for the unrest. something doesn't add up if you ask me

V. Illych L. posted:

the fireworks barrage footage was quite beautiful in a way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWAhOQgM5Vs

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

Yeah, no they did some phone-network suppression already in 2005. Also they don't plan to cut the internet nationwide, just block phone and internet access locally during riots to make rioting "harder" for people who can't do poo poo without their phone.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

twitchcon is unaffected but video games are responsible for the unrest. something doesn't add up if you ask me
Yeah but you see, people who have no idea of how France works made a map of the riots locations (the banlieu surrounding Paris) and strangely it circles the location of the twitchcon location, which is in the center, in Paris proper. Crazy.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
They need to wander about the national assembly, take some selfies, and go home.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I am glad to report that now the riots have ended, the authorities are taking great care to avoid inciting any more rio- Hold on, I'm getting an update...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/france/article/2023/07/06/france-set-to-allow-police-to-spy-through-phones_6044269_7.html

Lol I wonder how long they have had this technology.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Honestly, most likely since there are phones.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
https://twitter.com/ThatWeekInSNL/status/1498292052341268489

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my man just went through a bad breakup and is swiping right on tinder as fast as he can

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

i say swears online posted:

my man just went through a bad breakup and is swiping right on tinder as fast as he can

Gotta find somebody to gently caress.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

the gangs all here

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we have mobilized the world bank and imf (actionable threat)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

we have mobilized the world bank and imf (actionable threat)

https://www.politico.eu/article/marrakech-morocco-stalls-earthquake-aid-offer-from-france-strained-relations/

quote:

Morocco stalls on French earthquake aid amid strained relations

An official visit by French President Emmanuel Macron to Morocco has been postponed several times.

PARIS — Two days after a devastating earthquake killed roughly 2,500 people, Morocco is still considering France’s emergency aid offer, in a fresh sign of tense relations between the two countries.

Rabat has accepted aid from several countries, including the U.K and Spain, but has so far not responded to an offer from Paris. Relations between France and Morocco have been strained for several months over issues of visas for Moroccan nationals, the recognition of Western Sahara and relations with Algeria.

On Monday, French Foreign Affairs Minister Catherine Colonna said accepting aid was a sovereign decision and dismissed the questions over France’s offer as “an inappropriate controversy.”

“Morocco hasn’t refused any aid, or any proposal. That’s not the way things should be presented,” she said on French channel BFMTV. Paris will also pledge €5 million for NGOs working in Morocco.

Frosty relations
Offers of help have been pouring in from countries across the world, including France, a former colonial power which is home to a large Moroccan diaspora.

On Saturday, French President Emmanuel Macron wrote that he was “devastated by the terrible earthquake” on X (formerly Twitter) and sent Morocco’s King Mohammed VI a letter of support and offer of aid, according to AFP.

But relations between the two countries have been frosty for several years, and Macron’s offer has yet to be answered, even though Morocco’s King Mohammed VI was in France when the quake struck, according to Colonna. Morocco does not currently have an ambassador in France and a visit by Macron to the kingdom has been postponed several times.

Overall, France has enjoyed good relations with Morocco in recent decades, better than with other former colonies such as Algeria, but a major point of tensions emerged in 2021, when France slashed the number of visas available for Moroccan citizens.

At the time, the French government argued that Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia were failing to cooperate in efforts to tackle illegal immigration. In particular, French officials accused these countries of refusing to take back migrants whose visa applications in France had been rejected.

France’s efforts to restore relations with Algeria, Morocco’s archrival in the region, have also marred relations between Macron and King Mohammed VI. The French president made his second official visit to Algeria last year in a bid to reset relations, which have historically been very acrimonious.

Algeria backs the Polisario Front, a group which has been fighting for decades for the independence of Western Sahara. Morocco wants France to recognize Western Sahara as Moroccan, something Paris has so far declined to do.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress,

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
with the one-two punch of the reactions to Palestine and now what's looking like Samuel Paty 2.0, this country is cooked

what else is there to say

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Yeah gently caress that guy, not for what he did, but for the inevitable political response, am i right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012