Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cFSWxzXXOo

NOT ALL FRENCHMEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

dead gay comedy forums posted:

in this subject, I really disagree with Marx because the implication from the way he writes is that, imho, the incapacity to reach class consciousness there is something akin to a moral fault; this is a complicated mess because it is part of the basis of a "left moralism" that ultimately ends with sex workers not being workers, or certain artistic professions being not real labor, or criminals not being product of material circumstances; however, Marx was still a man of his time and wrote like one, so that judgment is to be expected, I just don't think it is right to extrapolate that to our time

I agree. I think Marx's analysis there was informed by how stunned he was by the results of the election in France (see, this is totally relevant to the thread), similarly to how the American (international, really) pundit class were so shocked by Trump's 2016 victory that they reached for all sorts of theories ranging from conspiracies to something akin to the left moralism you sketch out. By this I mean the analysis whose explanation for people voting for Trump is racism or some other personal moral failing on the part of the voter.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

thank you, while I appreciate your consideration, I am not exactly "well read", I am just an interested person who tries to contextualize what I know of theory to help along others build a worldview of solidarity. For specifics of Marxist analysis, uncop is an excellent poster and can elaborate much better than I in that sense :)

in this subject, I really disagree with Marx because the implication from the way he writes is that, imho, the incapacity to reach class consciousness there is something akin to a moral fault; this is a complicated mess because it is part of the basis of a "left moralism" that ultimately ends with sex workers not being workers, or certain artistic professions being not real labor, or criminals not being product of material circumstances; however, Marx was still a man of his time and wrote like one, so that judgment is to be expected, I just don't think it is right to extrapolate that to our time

Marx has an edgelordy aesthetic to his writings sometimes, but he doesn't let it compromise the content, he just trusts the reader a lot with interpretation. If you want to read the "scum", "refuse" etc. in a non-condemnatory way, the idea is that the lumpenproletariat is composed of a variety of people who productive society has pushed out for one reason or another. Stolen land, failed business, being a flunked out failson, being a runaway or an orphan, disability, receiving a long prison sentence, dead profession or class, long term mass unemployment...

Society itself has morally condemned everyone it has abandoned, because it has to condemn them in order to be able to abandon them; otherwise it'd have to condemn itself. There's no lumpen essence to subsisting on art, for instance, but a person who engages in artwork to make some loose change while not having a socially legitimate source of income is lumpen: abandoned to scrape together whatever living they can within the informal economy. That kind of existence is not like having a job or doing independent work, most of their work isn't socially considered to be work at all.

And Marx engages in the opposite of moralism: he just takes this real judgement that society has cast and examines it as is. What would be actually moralistic is to claim that it *should* be considered work and paid as such, so Marx was wrong because he didn't recognize this moral aspect to reality that would have been necessary to produce a correct analysis.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

You realize "frogs" is bigoted language against the French, right? And you know bigotry is frowned upon in CineD, right? User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

really queer Christmas posted:

You realize "frogs" is bigoted language against the French, right? And you know bigotry is frowned upon in CineD, right? User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uncop posted:

Society itself has morally condemned everyone it has abandoned, because it has to condemn them in order to be able to abandon them; otherwise it'd have to condemn itself.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Reading blood meridian and noticed one of the characters refers to the french as "toadeaters." Felt it was worth discussing

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Algund Eenboom posted:

Reading blood meridian and noticed one of the characters refers to the french as "toadeaters." Felt it was worth discussing
That's Captain White if memory serves, and someone oughta pickle your head for ever taking up with such a fool

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

uncop posted:

This is what 18th Brumaire says: "Alongside decayed roués with dubious means of subsistence and of dubious origin, alongside ruined and adventurous offshoots of the bourgeoisie, were vagabonds, discharged soldiers, discharged jailbirds, escaped galley slaves, swindlers, mountebanks, lazzaroni, pickpockets, tricksters, gamblers, maquereaux [pimps], brothel keepers, porters, literati, organ grinders, ragpickers, knife grinders, tinkers, beggars — in short, the whole indefinite, disintegrated mass, thrown hither and thither, which the French call la bohème; from this kindred element Bonaparte formed the core of the Society of December 10. A "benevolent society" - insofar as, like Bonaparte, all its members felt the need of benefiting themselves at the expense of the laboring nation. This Bonaparte, who constitutes himself chief of the lumpenproletariat, who here alone rediscovers in mass form the interests which he personally pursues, who recognizes in this scum, offal, refuse of all classes the only class upon which he can base himself unconditionally, is the real Bonaparte, the Bonaparte sans phrase."

Was this the base of Boulanger as well? And would Boulanger be classified as a protofascist? Apparently his base of support was mainly old communards so to me he seems loosely analagous to Trump.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1329486913561120768

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

scratchaliberal

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Good to see Generic French Fascist #47 has his priorities in order instead of dealing with his 20-30k/day COVID-19 count. :france:

comedyblissoption posted:

scratchaliberal

He does admire Petain, after all.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

really queer Christmas posted:

we must at least have the decency to refer to them as grenouilles

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
him name is hopkin green fr*g

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/France24_en/status/1328720298573664256?s=20

also France still keeps up a military presence in their "former" African colonies
https://twitter.com/franceonu/status/1327553862559952898?s=20

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Melenchon '22?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This is the most racist thread I've ever seen. We all need to educate ourselves, put in the work, and do better

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I am tempted to quote the great Leonard Crabs: ‘I am guided by the beauty of our moderators.'

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

remember when every liberal freak in america touted his victory as a shining beacon of hope for democracy

oh well!

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

What the gently caress?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Algund Eenboom posted:

What the gently caress?

He was married to a pakistani man for a while

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

In my expert opinion, gently caress France, the French and Macron.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

scratchaliberal

neoliberal president does authoritarian thing, "today he became a leader"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hire 👏 more 👏 women 👏 frogs 👏

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i bet zizek loves this

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

sick

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gDwXcLaNo

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Mia Wasikowska posted:

i bet zizek loves this

Is zizek really an Islamophobe?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

This just passed overwhelming in the French Senate. 146 to 24. 1 year in prison and €45,000 for the "malicious dissemination of the image of the police."
including "the image of the face or any other element of identification" of a police officer/gendarme that would “undermine his physical or mental integrity”.