Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Both good 👍

Im laughing at high and mighty halflings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I live in the US Midwest so instead of the English farmers my halflings are midwestern hick farmers. Pretty much lower middle class farmers who are generally good people but feel like their town of 400 is the center of the universe.

Warforged I like the idea of the clones in Star Wars after the war is over. We were created for war so what do we do in peace?

DM secret notes: warforged were made by dwarven forge clerics using the souls of whatever bodies they could get their hands on. Dwarf, elf, human? The source doesn’t matter. Warforged have no recollection of their past lives. Souls that were taken from still living subjects sometimes instill an “echo” of their past. I plan for in a future campaign for the party to possibly find out the origin of warforged. Letting the various nations know probably wouldn’t go over well.

For example:
Anchor - Soldier 1138 was brought to life nearly 40 years ago during the War of Wood and Stone. Initially deployed as front line infantry, Soldier 1138’s service was solid yet unremarkable. It wasn’t until he was transferred to a naval unit that he started to excel. The Atlantean crewmen were amazed by how quickly this warforged picked up on all things maritime. It was his fellow crew that gave him his name “Anchor”. After the war Anchor worked on various ships where he sought to learn as much as he could before moving on. Recently the merchant ship he was employed on ran afoul of hobgoblin pirates.....

Anchor was made from the soul of an Atlantean. He was a prisoner on the pirate ship the party started on and has become the captain of the ship after they took control of it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Rad warforge dudes.
Im just imagineing a player character warforge who likes to paint because in his previous life he was a painter. And he paints people hes never seen before(previous loved ones) and places hes supposedly never been.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Nice! Love that idea. Many warforged are kinda blank templates that are polite and go about their business while others show flares of personality and skills that seemingly come out of nowhere.

Players found a warforged that was drawn to a city they were in. It sat down at a fountain 5 years ago and hasn’t moved since. The local dwarves have made a small shelter over him to protect from rain and snow. He just sits and peacefully gazes at the fountain, unmoving. Another they found in a forest with roots growing up around him and a bird nest built in his open palm. He is alive, just unmoving.

I have zero plans for them, just worldbuilding background.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Thinking bout that kinda makes me tear up a little.
Thats such a good idea.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Hihohe posted:

I gotta ask, if two elves cant conceive, how do they make ... uhhh... more?

Just like how babies are made in real life, the stork.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Hihohe posted:

Rad warforge dudes.
Im just imagineing a player character warforge who likes to paint because in his previous life he was a painter. And he paints people hes never seen before(previous loved ones) and places hes supposedly never been.

A few sessions ago my group had to visit a blacksmith shop to have the owner look at a dagger . They got to the Hammer and Paintbrush and encountered the human Magnus and his friend Haul. Magnus and Haul were on opposing sides during the War of Wood and Stone but the warforged Haul save Magnus from a collapsing fortress. They became friends as they recuperated from the battle. After the war Haul began to paint scenes of a city on the coast. He had never seen a coastal city before.

They discovered that the painting were almost exact representations of the city of Trident. They moved there and set up shop. The blacksmith and art business thrives but unfortunately Haul became Lost a few years ago.

These two were supposed to be a bigger plot point but the goblin player drew a mustache on Haul. Magnus went ballistic and threw them out of the shop.

The painting idea went over so drat well. My players still are talking about the paintings and what they mean. Thank you for the great idea!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

:unsmith:

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

One of the hardest parts I find about making the setting is drawing maps (as someone with not super artistic talent) do you guys have any tips on how to make the map function with all the logical parts in place for it to work?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

what kinda map we talking? like a city map, region map or a world map?

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Hihohe posted:

what kinda map we talking? like a city map, region map or a world map?

World Map is the one I'm having some trouble with.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Hmmm, a world map should only concern major details of the world

Its landscape (mountains, rivers, plains)

Its general climate (cold white tundra, green temperate fields and forrests, hot yellow deserts)

Its political landscape (country and thier borders and capitals or major cities)

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Hmmm, a world map should only concern major details of the world

Its landscape (mountains, rivers, plains)

Its general climate (cold white tundra, green temperate fields and forrests, hot yellow deserts)

Its political landscape (country and thier borders and capitals or major cities)

So if a specific area has a small detail, for example a small-medium sized forest within a county, within a duchy within a kingdom, I should leave it out to avoid extraneous detail?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Where are your sessions taking place? That part of the world should have more details put into place. Any relevant town names, borders etc.

That major landmass that you will probably never go to this campaign? Don’t worry about it. Basic coastline and mountain ranges, maybe the name and that is about all you need. The map I’ve made for my homebrew still has cities placed on it that haven’t been named. They players haven’t gone there and so I haven’t thought about them other than placement.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

trapstar posted:

So if a specific area has a small detail, for example a small-medium sized forest within a county, within a duchy within a kingdom, I should leave it out to avoid extraneous detail?

exactly, The more area a map covers the more detail you should leave out.

EG here is a map of Toril from the forgotten realms

meanwhile here is the continent of faerun

and then we have the sword coast region

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I could use some help trying to flesh out some ideas for a "Megadungeon but its a city".

Specifically I know I have ideas for two; the first one bing Fantasy Venice/London where imagine Venice but they decided to build really tall. So its kinda like a 40K hive city in that it's a bunch of tall towers and spires crisscrossing to each other forming like a lattice which also supports/holds other parts of the city? What if we took Ched Nasad from Forgotten Realms and like inverted it? The backstory here is the city is called "Haven" and they were like originally refugees who congregated on a little island to protect themselves from invaders and just ended up deciding that their city must never touch the mainland ever again. Fantasy Hong Kong minus Kowloon?

I'm not exactly sure exactly how this would physically work or look like but at least I have a clear concept in mind and could use help fleshing it out.

But the SECOND idea, is where I'm more lost.

I have an idea for like "Fantasy Rome" in that I want a large, massive city, perhaps also resembling a 40K hive city in being something like Curoscant or Trantor in their respective fictions is basically impossible to government despite being the heart of a massive continent spanning empire. But I'm not sure how it should look or its gimmick.

Do I want like Midgard from FF7? Like the 40K Hives its like layers of "plates" built on top of each other basically entombing the layers below.

Maybe I could also revisit the venice idea, like what if instead of rivers, you got GIANT aquaducs? For ferrying traffic around the city between its "regions"? And lean more into the idea that this is a city that looks like "What if the Romans built Rome as a Scifi city" with just massive stonework and marble buildings and architecture supporting weight it probably really shouldn't be able to but its a fantasy setting so who cares, who grand can we make it?

But the problem is a choice paralysis sort of thing, just not sure which way to approach it, and not also seem too similar to the fantasy london tall venice idea.

The problem with the plates idea is also how to visually at some point convey it with art for players who might come to it. Because if large parts of the city are basically hidden I dunno if that sort of scale will properly translate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

In the Long-Long Ago the super-ancient kings raised mighty temples to their arrogance. Eventually, they fell.

In the Long Ago, the successor state did not reach the same heights of arrogance but had access to some of the super-ancient kings' tools. Naturally, they built in a similar style (but definitely not an identical one), as well as repurposing the great works of the super-ancient kings.

More recently, the successor state also fell, and you, the PCs, are in the same era of the unrelated culture that moved into this massive complex. (In-built decanters of endless water or similar overcome one of the primary obstacles to using an old city-site; don't worry too much about what a constant outflow of several hundred thousand gallons per minute over millenia does to the sea level. Or do. Maybe that's someone else's problem.)

So here you'd have three layers of construction:
1. Recently built stuff which is probably wood, daub, and salvaged stone; this would probably be nearer to vernacular architecture of 'medieval times.' This is also probably the stuff that's most quickly discovered. This would more or less be a Fantasy Metropolis with the probable quirk that they would have to consider three dimensions a lot more than two.

2. Long-Ago stuff, which I envision in this description as being like Roman/Classical stone work, or perhaps like Angkor Wat and similar. Areas that are being actively used will probably resemble either Actual Rome (there was paint on poo poo) or Imaginary White Marble Rome (can't bother with paint; it's rock anyway). This area may have treasure and adventure but would be fairly unlikely to be laden with Ancient Guardians. Intermediate challenges. You could also borrow some from UrbEx or 'Life after Man' images of modern day cities, but this would not necessarily mean anything to PCs, and indeed they might speculate the ancients must have been really into breezy semi-outdoor spaces, because the windows on the skyscrapers were all smashed or stolen a thousand years ago.

3. Long-Long-Ago, which would probably look more Babylonian/Egyptian -- monolithic, huge, but also probably terrifyingly powerful. Long-Long-Ago areas are probably only going to be used if they provide a very important service. This could skew for any 'level' of challenge but is probably where the real dank poo poo and cash treasure is. You might also get more 'active' things that still work.

As for how they made it work: The 'more recently' society above was driven to the island/outpost/whatever which had been under historical taboo for a long rear end time, despite occasional harrowing accounts of mariners who landed there who made it clear that you CAN drink the water without dying of curses (probably) and that if you're stuck there for two or three days to fix your ship, you can PROBABLY survive. Now, that society/culture is a lot larger than one would think due to their massive amounts of 3-D space for all purposes other than agriculture, and possibly having more advanced agriculture than the surrounding polities due to guaranteed water supplies. You could also have it so that the conflict between the Megastructure Island Inhabitants and Those Other Guys has simmered/quieted down, and then have it flare up during the campaign itself.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Uh. Unfortunately except for the idea about maybe having some of the layers representing past civilizations that got built over I don't think chatgpt understood properly the context of the question, which is to figure out something to present to an artist to draw me art.

e: This might be a good starting point for me:

https://twitter.com/AruzianEmpire/status/1233150105055715328/photo/1

Even has a prominent aqueduct.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 2, 2024

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Raenir Salazar posted:

Uh. Unfortunately except for the idea about maybe having some of the layers representing past civilizations that got built over I don't think chatgpt understood properly the context of the question, which is to figure out something to present to an artist to draw me

If you're talking about Nessus' suggestion, that's loving rude to accuse them of acting like chatgpt.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Angrymog posted:

If you're talking about Nessus' suggestion, that's loving rude to accuse them of acting like chatgpt.

If they didn't my apologies to them. I'll clarify that what I'm having difficulty with is visualizing to myself this concept, and deciding on basically the art direction of how I want the city to look and its resulting structure.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Raenir Salazar posted:

If they didn't my apologies to them. I'll clarify that what I'm having difficulty with is visualizing to myself this concept, and deciding on basically the art direction of how I want the city to look and its resulting structure.
My posting isn’t great but it is hand crafted with love. My apologies that it wasn’t helpful. Put in perhaps more concrete terms:

Outer layer: medieval architecture with huge poo poo in the background.
Middle layer: Rome/Greek/Nier Automata/Angkor Wat
Deep layer: Babylon/Egypt/Chichen Itza

E: for instance you could use that Rome photo as a basis for an actively inhabited area. Add a looming ruined skyscraper and a titanic stepped pyramid in the background.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 2, 2024

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

There are hidden cities under rome and venice turns out people dont like rebuilding so when they come back even like 500 years later they just kinda build on top of the thing

https://youtu.be/HdqkEokbhCQ?si=Pbsdh4VlidfzDkCD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nessus posted:

My posting isn’t great but it is hand crafted with love. My apologies that it wasn’t helpful. Put in perhaps more concrete terms:

Outer layer: medieval architecture with huge poo poo in the background.
Middle layer: Rome/Greek/Nier Automata/Angkor Wat
Deep layer: Babylon/Egypt/Chichen Itza

E: for instance you could use that Rome photo as a basis for an actively inhabited area. Add a looming ruined skyscraper and a titanic stepped pyramid in the background.

No problem, again I'm sorry for misunderstanding your post and not properly communicating my issue. :) The prose threw me off I'm sorry. :(

I do actually like the idea, it's kinda like how Cybertron in the Beast Machines cartoon, when they were going deep under ground they could actually find semi-preserved past Cybertronian civilizations which I always thought was neat and liked seeing it also in a recent indie game I saw.

For my purposes these layers should still be populated is my thinking, it isn't just the current empire building over the ruins of the previous empire, but like how in Final Fantasy 7 you have the middle class and the rich in the upper layer ontop of the plate with the underclass in the lower layer. But I don't want it to just be Roman Midgard I'm thinking, but like maybe its more like a stepping ladder/staircase is what I'm maybe thinking, or some other shape where we still have the layers, but leaves some of the lower levels at least partially exposed?

Then there's other things that are more minor, like similar to "Rome" I thinking technically the city doesn't have walls, because honestly its too large to even have walls; that's what the empire and its armies are for. But maybe its actually ringed by like "Fortress Cities" in a similar way how the major metropolitan area of major cities like New York or Tokyo are technically comprised of smaller neighbouring cities that got absorbed and incorporated; but its these smaller cities where actual fortifications are present?

And then the aqueducs are like these megastructures that act as like artificial rivers/canals that connect the "regions" together for faster transit.