Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

In D&D it's obviously the FR, with a second-place shoutout to Planescape for fitting in as another facet.

But since this isn't a thread just for D&D, I think Glorantha deserves a shoutout too. It's not really my cup of tea, but having actual historians/theologists building a world lead to something really interesting and different from what little I know about it.

I would personally love to hear more about Glorantha, Tékumel, all those other worlds that were these childhood/academic labors of love that were then converted to modern roleplaying.

What I do know about Tékumel that's pretty interesting in that the way they explain how they avoid the player/character knowledge discrepancy by stating that your character is from out of that world, and they're stuck in the immigrant quarter until they and you learn enough/gain enough levels to win citizenship. But it was a hard sell to have anyone run it who wasn't already Professor MAR Barker. "Hey, kids! Wanna have to learn an entirely new invented language just to be able to GM?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

King of Solomon posted:

My big issue with using an Aerostat Venus strategy in this setting is I'm a big worried it's a bit too similar to the space colonies. I do want there to be a meaningful distinction between the terrestrial humans and the people living in the space colony chain.

If there's a way to make living on terrestrial Venus matter while still having some level of aerostat, that's more than reasonable, but I'm not sure what that looks like.

Following things I've read in Analog in recent years, "aerostat" Venus can be very interesting and distinct. Sure, you don't want to be caught outside without some protection, but it's more of a hazmat than a pressure suit at those altitudes, there's the whole question of whether you want to somehow be anchored to one place or just migrate with the winds, how to deal with storms, the fact that travel is a bit easier because you have atmosphere within which to use wings, etc. It diverges both from living in an outer space habitat and being on the surface of a planet in interesting ways.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

King of Solomon posted:

Oh, that's a great point. More than just being distinct from space colony living, it allows for a distinction between life on Mars and life on Venus. I'm definitely going to need to read more about this.

One serialized Analog story in particular, which really brought floaty Venus to life for me, has been published as a novel: Derek Künsken's House of Styx. There were a lot of short stories by other authors, too, but I'm not sure if they're collected anywhere or are otherwise easily accessible.