Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

aldantefax posted:

Part of answer those fiddly questions like "why wazzard school in the first place" is probably pretty key on this to make such a setting cohesive. This could be expanded to any major institution that is featured in any setting since it also provides a foundation for how people grow up in that society and treat the world around them (potentially, anyway).

There was an interesting (to me) video that I had watched about Monster Hunter and how everybody in that setting is really part of a 'culture of danger' where you not only near giant fire-breathing dinosaurs, but also doing so and having a good time about it. So, if the students (maybe kids, maybe adult students) are regularly creating danger, this means both they and their instructors are used to the 'proximity of the danger', and whether they enjoy it or not, they accept is as a part of their lifestyle, since the alternative is either nonexistent, exceedingly boring, or some other such thing.

My DM and I are doing what this thread is about since he wants to expand on his setting and keep using it for any campaign he runs.
There's a disclaimer, though. How "boringly realistic" do you want to be, and how much are politics allowed to enter the discussion?

I'm asking because our discussion about "organizations which regulate and teach magic" hit pretty soon a particular point of discussion - magic without strings attached is a tool to exercise power. Such a tool, used at the whim of individuals, is going to create huge social inequality. Therefore it's pretty logical to assume any society which values equality would heavily regulate magic... and that's without even entering into the domain of what a "monopoly on violence" is. That partially answers "why wizard school in the first place" - but, as I said, it really depends on how much you're willing to let political sciences enter the setting.
We went further on from this point, but that was an interesting milestone.

Char fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Replying late on this, but there's another collateral meta-question that came up in our setting discussion - what is the role of the Divine with regards to the setting?
We found the starting answers to be less specific because we still don't have distinct answers - we also found that anything the DM says about religion is going to set up more political tones, but basically, the opening salvo included "what is a god", "what does a god do", "how are gods made", "why does a god do what they do". Also, we found out that answering with too many details could dissolve too much of the mysterious and unfathomable nature of gods - and without mystery, they're not gods: they are superpowered self-inserts.
We didn't have the chance to discuss religions yet, but I expect that to be another philosophy-vs-rule of cool deep dive.