Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Philthy posted:

Only VERY minor nitpicks, I felt this should have been around 5 episodes, as the constant flashbacks to the suicidal mother didn't really bring enough to the overall story other than to show why Beth was questioning her own sanity. Her alcoholic breakdowns became too routine, which I guess, ultimately paid off for the Russian tournament because she was essentially locked down from messing everything up - so the Russian's strictness was their own undoing. The exception of the seemingly seven-year-old offering her vodka at the hotel's restaurant seemed out of place because her guard wasn't with her. I also find it hard to believe they would not have gone through every inch of her belongings and found her pills when she landed. The entire Townse relationship could have been spelled out clearer I guess.

I loved the final tournament. It was completely satisfying. It was really cute to see all the old men at the very end rally around her and one of them wanting her to play.

I'm pretty sure her guard was CIA, not working the Russians. He didn't want her to drink because he was concerned about her becoming compromised in some way.

I also felt like her being offered vodka was intended to be intentional. The Russian players may have wanted to beat her fair, but the government probably had a file on her and would happily exploit character weaknesses so their people could win. I assumed the same thing when the pills were in such a prominent place in her room. I might be reading too much into the cold war aspects though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I did some reading about the use of seconds in chess (the person, not the time increment), since I wasn't familiar with what exactly their role was. Apparently providing strategic planning during an adjournment was explicitly something you hired them to help with. Presumably wealthier and more successful players might have several people training and consulting in a team, much like the Russians were doing.