Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zwabu posted:

I didn't realize the actress was also a director. It was a pretty great, and complex, role. She could be a flawed foster mother without being a one dimensional stereotype, their relationship was complex but it was mostly a positive thing.

I mentioned that to my wife after watching the series, it just feels really rare in TV and movies for a mother and daughter to have a peaceful, solid relationship. Not to mention a parent in a sports/game media to be supportive and caring but not overbearing while still being flawed..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It wasn't even out of the norm, tranqing kids in orphanages was pretty much standard practice in the 50s.

Some of the stuff sounded shady though it was never addressed. The orphanage paying the couple per month for Beth made me wonder if it wasn't some scam to begin with. The orphanage gets money per kid from the state, if a kid gets chosen its an under the table adoption and the orphanage still gets money for the kid being there. The orphanage splits some of it with the family.