Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Zwabu posted:

As a casual chess player I was a bit sad that the show didn't linger a bit more on some of the chess boards. Also the pace of the game was sped up for dramatic effect which I also understand, and the fact that a huge portion of competitive games among top players end in draws is glossed over, but all of these departures from realism are for good reason and effect.

This guy made a really great video series, analyzing the boards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSKwEfa9Ug0

Apparently most of those games are based on real ones. Many of those by Gary Kasparov, who was a consultant on the show. Apparently, except for one or two blunders the actual chess is top notch. Absolutely the best chess in any pop culture deciption.

I had a lot of fun actually setting up some those games on lichess and figuring out why my chess intuition to do something different would lead to crushing failures. The final game is really cool and matches the stakes.

I had a bit trouble finishing the first episode, because I don't like children, but once Anya Taylor-Joy gets to play, it's a great and gorgeous show.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The examples in the show were really silly
Begging for a draw, when you are mate in one is absolutely pathetic. But draws tend to occur in certain situations where both players don't blunder. Most often it comes due to the rule where you can't repeat the same position three times. But if that is the optimal move for either player, one has to decide to either draw, or playing something less than optimal, which might lead to a total loss. Then there are regular endgame draws, because there are no moves, or mates left.

A less direct situation would be a late game where the king is in a strong fortress, while the attacker basically has no choice but to attack it, while all defences are obvious. There might be a lot of different angles for an attack so repeating three times would take a while. If it's noticeable that this just won't go anywhere, experts would draw, because the silly alternative would be to play as fast as possible and hope the opponents time runs out first. Of course that might happen if there's less than 30 seconds left.

Amateur players end up drawing way less often, because in those games there are a lot more mistakes or downright blunders which tilt a balanced game. Needlessly losing a single pawn, can be enough for that.

Also, in tournaments and consecutive games there are draws which basically preserve the total points. If at some particularly even point of the game one player sort of fears that he might lose the game in 60% of the cases while he suspects that the other player would feel just as pessimistic, offering a draw would be preferable fron both perspectives because they get a chance of 1 to get half a point, rather than a chance of 0.4 to get a whole one.
If it's the end of the tournament and there's only a 0.5 point difference between those final players, the leader would happily offer a draw, rather than risking the absolute loss.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 18, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

meanolmrcloud posted:

The sets and performances were great. I wish they could’ve written the matches to be dramatic in chess terms, instead of relying on reaction shots, clumsy broadcaster handholding or snappy montages. The entire Borgov match was just reaction shots of Russian crowds which was annoying.
I actually diagree here. Those reaction shots usually happen in moments, when there's a pretty clear part. If you are really familiar with it, you can look at the board when it's depicted every few turns and understand what happened there. In some cases it's straight up obvious and not worth showing. For example, if a player only has one possible move, showing that played out is not as necessary.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Zwabu posted:

One thing that bugged me a little bit is that Beth did less research into historical chess greats and the current champions than I would expect of any top chess player. I feel like anyone who gets completely fascinated and immersed in any activity has a desire to learn about the history and lore of that activity, and in the case of current players you have a direct incentive to study their games to help you better form competitive strategies. Although maybe I'm wrong about that, I just looked a a stream of Hikaru Nakamura, one of the top world players, with another popular chess streamer, where they were discussing the various world champs and greats from history and ranking them, and I was shocked that the other guy, who also has a popular chess stream, seemed to be barely familiar with the names or stories of some of the world champs. It really surprised me that a guy who kind of lives and breathes chess had these big gaps in his knowledge of the greats, there haven't been that many world champs and prominent contenders.

We've seen Beth read plenty of chess books. That's exactly the thing you are describing. Those detail the important games from certain persons in chess notation. She does that a lot, but the series skips over that, because I can barely imagine something less exciting than watching a person sit around reading chess notation.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I do like the idea of a scene where nothing happens except her staring at such a book and suddenly bursting into tears because it's so beautiful.