Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This show basically didn’t have a cynical bone in it’s whole body the entire way through and it was honestly better for it.

At every turn I was expecting Beth to get abused or poo poo on by the chess players for her gender. Instead her adoptive father is a poo poo for entirely different reasons and the vast majority of players she met were ultimately extremely helpful if socially awkward as all hell.

College Rockout posted:

Yea I think everybody got nervous when the tranquilizers were first introduced and were expecting the worst. It was a nice surprise to see that the people in charge were seemingly decent people trying their best.

Mr Shaibel loaning her the money for her first tournament and then Beth revealing that she never paid him back was heartbreaking. He was so proud of her and she never got back in touch :(

Zaphod42 posted:

I was surprised she asked Mr Shaibel for the money and not the high school chess teacher guy. You'd think he'd be more likely to recognize how good her chances were to win, and would have possibly more money. But I guess its better for the story this way.

I got my names mixed up hard here and thought she asked the dad for money for the tournament initially. Mr Shaibel really was the best dad she ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU