Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I got laid in the past few days and my wife recommended this to me by word of mouth so I binged it while recovering.

Fantastic series. It became very emotional for me towards the end, and I lost it at the part where she revisits Shaibel's room and finds the wall. I just lost it completely. You can tell whoever was directing this had an affinity with strong faces much like Jean-Pierre Jeunet in many of his movies. The meticulous framing of just Beth's amazing sculpted face took up a good 20% of the film or more.

Only VERY minor nitpicks, I felt this should have been around 5 episodes, as the constant flashbacks to the suicidal mother didn't really bring enough to the overall story other than to show why Beth was questioning her own sanity. Her alcoholic breakdowns became too routine, which I guess, ultimately paid off for the Russian tournament because she was essentially locked down from messing everything up - so the Russian's strictness was their own undoing. The exception of the seemingly seven-year-old offering her vodka at the hotel's restaurant seemed out of place because her guard wasn't with her. I also find it hard to believe they would not have gone through every inch of her belongings and found her pills when she landed. The entire Townse relationship could have been spelled out clearer I guess.

I loved the final tournament. It was completely satisfying. It was really cute to see all the old men at the very end rally around her and one of them wanting her to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you miss the word "off" here? Because lmao

:cripes: holy crap. laid-in is what I meant

whooooops

Lemony posted:

I'm pretty sure her guard was CIA, not working the Russians. He didn't want her to drink because he was concerned about her becoming compromised in some way.

Yeah, it just seemed he wanted to be by her side at all times and would have refused the vodka for her during that scene is all. I have no doubt they were intentionally trying to get her drunk.

quote:

I also felt like her being offered vodka was intended to be intentional. The Russian players may have wanted to beat her fair, but the government probably had a file on her and would happily exploit character weaknesses so their people could win. I assumed the same thing when the pills were in such a prominent place in her room. I might be reading too much into the cold war aspects though.

This is also quite believable. "If you find drugs, you leave them be." etc

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 24, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, there were possibly a dozen or more scenes that revolved around chess books directly. I seem to remember one where Benny specifically told her she needed to also read the books of the current Russians to understand them better and she was reading Borgov's book through the next few scenes. The scene where she found a flaw in one of the grandmaster's strategies that no one else caught had me thinking it was foreshadowing, but I don't believe it was (I don't know if she did that particular move as I don't play chess and wouldn't have recognized it.).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I played my first ever chess game against a computer. The first 30 moves I wiped the floor, then the next 34 moves were chasing the stupid king around the board and I threw poo poo all over the room. F chess.