Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I enjoyed the show overall for the acting and the aesthetics. It was a fun, quick watch. Though I never really felt like the stakes were all that high, and Beth was always just a little too capable. With the substance abuse I never felt she was in grave danger or had any deep withdrawal, when people died or she drove them away it didn't really set her back much, and when she wouldn't win a big match she could always pull it off later. It's a good character study, it looks great, and the rest of the characters are interesting, but someone always came through and everything always turned out OK, and I was never in any doubt that it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sekhmnet posted:

Maybe they were trying to avoid cheesiness like when Ralph Macchio pretended to play guitar in The Crossroads. They'd have to keep track of all the piece positions between takes and it sounds like a continuity nightmare.

I watched a couple videos on a Youtube chess nerd channel analyzing the matches from the show, and apparently they actually did have all that match continuity, because the channel was able to follow the matches all the way through, and make educated guesses at what happened between the parts they didn't show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zwabu posted:

They were able to follow it in real time? Or because they would freeze frame the show from time to time to be able to look at the board?
The latter I assume, because the guy recreated some of the matches using a virtual chess program. But he seems to know a fuckton about chess already. Agadmator on Youtube if you're interested.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've dabbled a bit on and off with chess.com for years, and watching the show made me go back to it more frequently, but the one move I always forget about is en passant. It's so specific and used so rarely that it almost feels like cheating when someone pulls it out, like it's a house rule that caught on. It would've been fun to see that as a plot point in one of the major games.