Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

This series was really great, but I felt like the back half of it wasn't as strong after the mom died.

As a former "child prodigy" of chess shows like this and Searching for Bobby Fisher always have a soft spot. I loved the use of classic chess matches sprinkled throughout, and oh my God the douche with the trench coat, there's always one of those guys at big tournaments, and usually multiple. Having him not playing in a tournament he deemed beneath him is a perfect introduction to the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

sticklefifer posted:

I've dabbled a bit on and off with chess.com for years, and watching the show made me go back to it more frequently, but the one move I always forget about is en passant. It's so specific and used so rarely that it almost feels like cheating when someone pulls it out, like it's a house rule that caught on. It would've been fun to see that as a plot point in one of the major games.

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1242924

This game ends with an en passant checkmate that's pretty lol

It probably wouldn't show up in the games they used for the show because they're much more important games and you kinda have to look like a dope at that level to forget that it's a thing let alone lose because of it.