Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Not a chess prodigy but I am an addict in recovery and it’s unfortunate this has an extremely surface level depiction of a downward spiral, and none of it really feels earned or even that relevant to the plot.

There were two scenes that really clued me into how clumsy the writing was. The first was after she and beltik had sex the first time, and were on the cusp of being a reasonably regular domestic couple, and then smash cut to her running into an old high school friend, who gives her a clear picture of housewifery in that era baby in a crib and all the second is when the parisian friend was introduced with a grocery bag with exactly 2 baguettes sticking out of it. She and Harmon have one conversation, and then she shows up to ruin beths chances in Paris, which everyone could see coming a million miles away. It was easier to introduce a throwaway character to trigger her than it was to show her self-sabotage in a meaningful way

The sets and performances were great. I wish they could’ve written the matches to be dramatic in chess terms, instead of relying on reaction shots, clumsy broadcaster handholding or snappy montages. The entire Borgov match was just reaction shots of Russian crowds which was annoying.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU