Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rice or Ruin?
Rice
Ruin
View Results

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hwurmp posted:

You put basic nutrients in your fertilizer by mixing in five Fallen Leaves, Beast Hooves, and Beast Manures, and then adding some Amber. I always just dump in enough to max out all three; I've never had to refill before a harvest.

You eventually unlock a gathering area that can provide medical bases, which give a large all stats up bonus to your rice with no downsides. A little bit of salt + water or moonlit stones gives resistance to all major problems that rice will encounter, and the water or moonlit stones will reduce the toxicity.

Also worth noting that stat flakes provide a bonus to base stats and should be consumed as soon as is feasible. You do need medicinal base to consume them as a drink during dinnertime. Powders, on the other hand, double the amount of a stat that you get from a meal, which can be super helpful when you're trying to push through a fight above your current combat strength.

Having finished the story and started in on the postgame, one thing I noticed is that because I always made white rice, my magic stat is severely lacking compared to my strength/vitality. It's not the world's biggest deal, but it is something that I'm slowly rectifying by finally making some brown rice to raise aroma (magic). Vitality has been just about the most important stat in my experience; being able to shrug off enemy attacks makes it easier to farm areas and facetank just about everything that isn't on the bleeding edge of what I'm capable of taking on.

If I have any complaint about this game, it's that fully upgrading the armor sets can be absurdly grindy. I lost count of how many goddamn beast hides they ask for, and then there are enemies that you can kill by the literal dozens with several abilities boosting drop rates equipped, and you maybe get 1-2 drops when some armor sets are asking for upwards of 80 of them. Otherwise, it's a super fun game, and I'm only just now starting to really get into how parrying works. I probably should have figured out how it works much sooner...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Okay so the game is freshly downloaded and I'm probably trying tonight, what's the secret to growing good rice.

You get tutorials on the subject, and basically whatever you do will impact the rice in some way. As you farm, you get special abilities that will help you to follow guidelines; the first few crops will be difficult to judge, and that is by design. If you listen to the big dude, he will tell you what you need to do to grow lots of rice, but not necessarily the best quality rice. Don't sweat making the perfect rice for the first couple of years, just do your best to try to follow along, as you will not have the tools to follow everything closely.

In general, a high quality rice can be achieved with (in the pause menu, it will tell you what stage the rice is on):

Sorting (you don't do this for a while) - empty the whole jar of mud, stir until the green thing floats and flips over; sort seedlings thinly to increase quality, but decrease yield
Tilling - spread fertilizer before tilling, till the whole field and remove all 10 rocks
Planting - a little far apart - once you unlock the grid, planting every other row does this well
Seedlings to 2nd offshoots - shoot for 20% water (water slightly above the ankles), eliminate as many weeds as you can, catch as many snails and such as you can
3rd offshoots - drain all water
Sprouting - try to keep water around 30% (submerge the foot)
Harvesting - drain all water, and ideally you harvest in warm weather, but you also want to harvest ASAP; eventually you can guarantee this, but at first you just have to wing it
Drying - put on drying rack, only bring in once dry (usually about a day, Sakuna will tell you when it's dry if you inspect it)
Threshing - thresh when cool, ideally at night (tool type doesn't matter)
Polishing - polish when cool, ideally at night; white rice is best for most stats (you will want to mix in brown rice every so often to get aroma bonuses, but you can honestly wait until after the story is done to do so, as str/vit is really strong to focus on early)

As for fertilizer, you want to ideally keep nutrients around in all 3 categories. Early-mid game (once you start getting enough amber from killing enemies), that means you want to add five Fallen Leaves, Beast Hooves, and Beast Manures (100% to each category), and then enough amber to max out the triangle (I think this number starts low and increases over time; eventually it's trivial). After that, you can add items to increase the stat bonuses you get from rice, but you don't need to fertilize all that frequently. Right now, in the postgame, I literally fertilize once right before tilling and never bother fertilizing again. You can do things like add salt and a bunch of water to offset the toxicity, which will help remove pests/weeds/disease, but you can mostly ignore that mechanic and it doesn't seem to penalize you much.

Water level: Rain adds water, sun evaporates water, so you want to leave the water level a little low before you adventure when it's raining, and a little high before you adventure when it's sunny.

And all of that being said, sometimes you want to focus on one stat. The game gives you tutorials over time, with yield being the first thing it tells you how to maximize. Talk to the big dude every day and he will help you to get some knowledge about farming. His advice is mostly about yield, and the difference between focusing on yield vs quality is mostly in the sorting (use less mud, sort thickly), and the sprouting (use lots and lots of water; just leave the input open). You may want to focus on yield early so that you have enough rice throughout the year.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I planted my first rice before reading that wonderful effortpost and the game called me poo poo immediately, soooooooo... Just gonna take some notes... :negative:

Don't sweat it at all. Sakuna is absolutely poo poo at planting rice early on, and you as the player are supposed to not know what to do. As I mentioned, you will get more abilities over time that let you see water levels, planting grids, and a whole lot more. Your first couple of times doing a task will be arduous and annoying because Sakuna doesn't know what she is doing by design.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Edit: Oh, and I'll mention one thing that almost put me off it but didn't in the end. For some reason they do that thing where the main character looks and acts like a kid but is actually supposed to be an adult (goddess). So far the game hasn't done anything creepy or off putting with it so I've kept going. I just don't understand why it's even a thing.

The idea behind the gods and goddesses is that their appearance is metaphorical, and Sakuna has yet to actually grow up despite how long she has been around. They also, thankfully, don't do anything creepy with it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Story discussion/spoiler thing (mostly about why the people don't age):

I really like how the story is essentially building a mythology and a new set of gods/goddesses to go along with that mythology. It's the reason I don't mind the trope where Sakuna is old, but looks like a child; in reality, she is a child and her journey through the story is how she grows into power and assumes the mantle of a warrior/harvest goddess who brings prosperity to the people. And adding to that, you have the mythical people who journeyed with her, with the smith who forges her legendary weapons, the tailor who weaves her legendary garments, the old advisor who sets her down the path of farming, etc.

And on top of that, those same people go on to have their own stories and create their own mythologies. It's really neat. Not a really deep or complex story, but a nice and pleasant story that is enjoyable to play through.