Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rice or Ruin?
Rice
Ruin
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo0F1WlG-Ws

Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin is 50% 2D action, 50% 3D Rice Farming Sim, and 100% reason to purchase the game, available on PS4, Switch, and Steam.

Story posted:

Long ago, the spoiled Princess Sakuna enjoyed a life of leisure in the Mihashira Capital among the gods and spirits of Yanato. But on the floating bridge of heaven separating the immortal Lofty Realm from the Lowly Realm of mortals, a chance encounter with the children of men (or, as they call themselves, the humans) led to a series of mishaps.

Alas, this culminated in their banishment to Hinoe Island, the so-called Isle of Demons. The ruling deity, Lady Kamuhitsuki, charged Sakuna with securing a foothold for the capital and rooting out the hordes of demonic beasts that plague the island. And, of course, as a goddess she must also look after the wayward children of men who were alongside her. But even a goddess needs to eat, and so the tale of rice and ruin begins...

In Sakuna, you play as Sakuna. Your job is to keep your gang of lowly humans alive and well by hunting and foraging for food, as well as growing rice. Thankfully, you are the daughter of a harvest goddess, and so growing rice will also increase your might, which you need to hunt greater demons and find better food. The better the rice, the stronger you grow, and the more combat and rice-growing skills you learn.

However, you spoiled noble child, you have yet to learn the backbreaking labor that goes into the rice fields. Proper spacing, water, temperature, weeds, frogs, ducks, fertilizer and more is just scratching the surface of what to keep in mind when growing this wonderful crop. And after it has grown, you must yet prepare the rice to be eaten through drying, threshing, hulling, and then the field must be made ready for next year's harvest! Listen to your friends' advice, or do as the Japanese do and look at Official Government Guidelines for Rice Farming to figure out how this all works.

Of course, your true reason for coming to this Isle of Demons was to secure it. By eating food at the end of each day, you can increase your abilities in combat and gain restorative effects for next day's labor. Keep a balanced diet, but make sure to keep an eye on how long your food can last - sparrow meat will only last so long before it rots away! If your stores will soon rot, it would be a good idea to process your ingredients for preservation.

Once you are rested and fed, and your work at the field is over for the day, it is time to go hunting for demons, food, and materials. As your father was a great warrior god, you too are capable in combat. With numerous weapons and skills and your blessed Divine Raiment at your side, you can overcome all odds... as long as you keep your belly filled, and remember to go home as night falls - the demons grow only stronger as the moon starts to shine.

https://twitter.com/isonoyukapero2/status/1327495373909225472

This game owns. Buy this if you like cool combat and want to learn how to make rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

On the other hand, rotten food makes a great fertilizer ingredient.
I had just gotten my first harvest done when I decided to make the thread and yeah. But it also raised the toxicity level of my soil which scared me :ohdear: so I didn't add a lot because I don't know how to combat that yet.

I really like how you have to experiment and feel things out. I've no idea if I'm doing things right, but that's okay because neither does Sakuna and we'll learn together.

The soundtrack is nice, but is also exactly the kind of music you might expect. Nothing that's really stood out, so far.