Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rice or Ruin?
Rice
Ruin
View Results

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I really see this as a hidden gem that no one's gonna be talking about.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this game too. It's not the best game ever but it's an odd mix of things and it does all of them B+ or better. Like Muramasa the Demon Blade meets Harvest Moon. It's really holding my attention and I recommend giving it a shot if you're stuck inside with cabin fever like I am. The rice farming can be a little head crushing if you try to min/max it but just listening to Tauemon's tips each day seems to be working well enough so far. The human characters are fun too and really make your homestead feel lived in.

I just wish I'd realized there was a PS4 version. Seems like the Switch version is all anyone talks about. It's fine but it does feel graphically cut down.

Edit: Oh, and I'll mention one thing that almost put me off it but didn't in the end. For some reason they do that thing where the main character looks and acts like a kid but is actually supposed to be an adult (goddess). So far the game hasn't done anything creepy or off putting with it so I've kept going. I just don't understand why it's even a thing.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Deified Data posted:

In other news I got to the part a couple years in when Touemon and Kaimaru get lost and thought it was funny they had to wait a whole season out in the wilderness to be rescued, because my rice harvest sure wasn't about to wait.

That part stressed me out! My exploration level wasn't high enough but the rice needed my attention. I wonder if that was a situation where you were supposed to let one of the humans handle it? But nope, they spent fall in a cave during my play through.

The whole idea of time kinda breaks down if you think about it too much. We've spent several winters on that island but the toddler still isn't old enough to talk and none of the other kids have aged. I've just hand-waved it away as "magical demon island stuff".

Also, the rabbit and sparrow meat the characters eat is kinda odd. It's literally the meat of the demons I've been killing. But they wear clothes and wield weapons. Presumably they have language and culture. Eating them feels... unsettling. They have a dinner conversation about eating meat but they never touch on eating other sapient creature.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 17, 2020

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ah, guess I need to just write my questions down and save them till the end of the game then.

I wonder if you can do a vegetarian run and never get that conversation about eating meat? I'll write that one down too.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

tip: talk to Tauemon about the rice when it's raining

I just did this and it was a prooo tip. That probably should have been easier to find. Guess I need to chat with him more instead of just reading the scrolls in my inventory.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

For "balanced" rice:
  • ~20% for 1st/2nd offshoots.
  • Drain for third offshoots
  • ~30% water while sprouting.
I got those number from this video but it has spoilers about farming abilities and tools you unlock later. The video makes it sound like there's not really a "right" way to do farming. Most of what you can tweak is a tug of war between quantity and quality.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I caught one of the dogs sleeping in the duck pen at night. This game is adorable sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of poop, I was a little surprised they were using the outhouse for fertilizer since there's a reason people don't do that in real life. But I figured, "Eh, whatever. Video gamez." Lo and behold they actually touch on that when someone gets pink eye from it!

:barf: