Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry Harri

Stoner Sloth posted:

i don't think i'm cut out to be a bird watcher lol haven't seen a single nut hatch!

That's okay! Sometimes you just need a friend to point them out to you. Perhaps someday you'll be the one to point them out back...

Prurient Squid posted:

I'm a complete begginer at nuthatches. Are they called that because they eat nuts? Do they have specially shaped beaks for breaking open nuts? I'm clueless! Three clear

Great question! Almost...Nuthatches are famous (or infamous if you're a nut!) for jamming the nuts they gather into small crooks and gaps in trees and relentlessly hammering them with their beak until they are cracked open, rendered unable to do just about anything let alone post on the Internet ever again!

Whew, you think the weekend would be a time to put your feet up and relax.

But in fact, there's always lots of things to do on the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

google THIS

It's still unclear to me whether some kind of offsite might hide more information about nuthatches, or whether a picture alone is worth a thousand words, or at least two at high contrast, and everything I could ever want to know about nuthatches could be garnered from there.

biosterous

how cute are baby nuthatches? there are lots of baby birds that are so cute i just want to boop them on their heads!

the image in post for puzzle four has some hidden stuff! you can see it all here, but that's all i've got so far! also a bunch of links to stephen king stuff, but i don't really know anything about stephen king.

we've got a dog with gold visible, then eight fish hidden, and then stuff about stephen king? i got nothin v:shobon:v

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

google THIS

google THIS posted:

It's still unclear to me whether some kind of offsite might hide more information about nuthatches, or whether a picture alone is worth a thousand words, or at least two at high contrast, and everything I could ever want to know about nuthatches could be garnered from there.

Ah, now it's clear that there's an option number three.

vanisher

biosterous posted:

how cute are baby nuthatches? there are lots of baby birds that are so cute i just want to boop them on their heads!

the image in post for puzzle four has some hidden stuff! you can see it all here, but that's all i've got so far! also a bunch of links to stephen king stuff, but i don't really know anything about stephen king.

we've got a dog with gold visible, then eight fish hidden, and then stuff about stephen king? i got nothin v:shobon:v

freakin love these birds terri

it's probably 'goldfish' _____ where the blank is something relating to posting or byob? Golden Lab, gold necklace, gold medal, gold bars. The blue is different kinds of fish. It's probably unrelated, but the post made by Pecan at the time/date on the site is this

vanisher fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 22, 2020

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Prurient Squid

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Animal behaviour has always fascinated me. The first image strongly suggests the word or concept "gold".

Terry Harri

biosterous posted:

You tell me!

Prurient Squid

Terry, just out of curiosity, where were you the day JFK was shot?

Heather Papps

hello friend

and what's your favourite weezer album?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
probably raditude based on his av

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
by far the nuthatchiest weez album

vanisher

Real cute pic

there are some dots and dashes....

Heather Papps

hello friend

vanisher posted:

Real cute pic

as cute as this one?

thank you!

Terry Harri

Prurient Squid posted:

Terry, just out of curiosity, where were you the day JFK was shot?

I was (responsibly) returning a birdwatching book that I had out on loan!

Heather Papps posted:

and what's your favourite weezer album?

Hurley. L.O.L. I'm just kidding.

Sorry folks, I haven't been attending my personal computer much today. I'm glad to see everyone enjoying the Nuthatch, as evidenced by my climbing viewcount and lower tier internet celebrity.

Stoner Sloth

successfully spotted four nuthatches today, thanks for the advice and supporting in nuthatch finding friends!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

google THIS

Chickadees are such pretty birds. Who would imagine they'd be such jerks? It's an important reminder not to trust all that glitters. four clear

biosterous

vanisher posted:

Real cute pic

indeed, those baby nuthatches are very cute!

hot dang, thank you! although i misinterpreted where the dots and dashes were. hint for anyone else: it's not in the urls at the bottom lol, that was a big waste of time for me

thanks to people's help i was able to complete my errands by four so i could go birdwatching! what a good day :buddy:

gallery of sigs

he/him

more falafel please

forums poster

i'm getting lost in all these nuthatches!

seriously I'm very stuck, what the hell does stephen king have to do with it

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Stoner Sloth

more falafel please posted:

i'm getting lost in all these nuthatches!

seriously I'm very stuck, what the hell does stephen king have to do with it

nuthatches can sure be tricky! best thing to do is forget distractions and concentrate on signs and symbols that a nuthatch is in the area imo

stephen king maybe the wrong colour and too specific a type of aquatic animal to be of much help

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

more falafel please

forums poster

ah, thanks to that sage advice I've successfully found my way. turns out there were only four nuthatches after all!

there are at least three different colors of fish if I say so.

Stoner Sloth

spotted a third nuthatch today with a little help from my friends, hiding in plain sight too! a success of a day's birdwatching all in all!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Terry Harri posted:

I was (responsibly) returning a birdwatching book that I had out on loan!

what a guy

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Stoner Sloth

Stoner Sloth posted:

spotted a third nuthatch today with a little help from my friends, hiding in plain sight too! a success of a day's birdwatching all in all!

a short time later a second nuthatch joined it! a success indeed and a great day, thanks Terri - all your free advice on birdwatching has certainly been helpful in spotting some great nut's!

Prurient Squid

Thanks Terry, it's great to know theat you're a punctual book returnee and also that you have a witness. four clear

e:is this morse code lol?

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 23, 2020

Heather Papps

hello friend

starting my day with a nuthatch sighting success makes me want to do a tango!

Terry Harri

I tried to take a page out of your book and referred to my daily spotting of a nuthatch on the feeder outside the kitchen window as a "success". She didn't get it.

I hesitate to admit it, but I don't understand it either.

biosterous

Heather Papps posted:

starting my day with a nuthatch sighting success makes me want to do a tango!

i've never been much of a dancer, and the tango seems pretty tricky? got any tango tips and tricks?

gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

biosterous posted:

i've never been much of a dancer, and the tango seems pretty tricky? got any tango tips and tricks?

it is very important when doing the tango, to take note of the amount of fingers and toes your partner has, and if they have any vision problems

Prof. Crocodile

A sixth successful day of nuthatching Terry! Now it's time to hit the bars!

google THIS

Heather Papps posted:

it is very important when doing the tango, to take note of the amount of fingers and toes your partner has, and if they have any vision problems

I'd like to know more so I can dance properly when I sight a nuthatch. Are the steps all about the numbers or do they evoke a word like previous victory dances?

ClamdestineBoyster
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bats are really just flying nutsacs. Is gross.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

biosterous

i managed to complete my goal for my sixth day of nuthatch-spotting, but haven't finished my fifth goal yet!

what i've got for tango: 1-eye has 3 and 4 fingers, 2-eye has 2 and 4, 3-eye has 1 and 2, 4-eye has 3 and 1. i don't know where to go from there - i've tried various combinations with those numbers but idk

biosterous fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 24, 2020

gallery of sigs

he/him

Stoner Sloth

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Bats are really just flying nutsacs. Is gross.

spoken like someone who has never had a land bat dragged across their face in a good way!

Heather Papps

hello friend

google THIS posted:

I'd like to know more so I can dance properly when I sight a nuthatch. Are the steps all about the numbers or do they evoke a word like previous victory dances?

this one's about hitting the numbers on beat

biosterous posted:

i managed to complete my goal for my sixth day of nuthatch-spotting, but haven't finished my fifth goal yet!

what i've got for tango: 1-eye has 3 and 4 fingers, 2-eye has 2 and 4, 3-eye has 1 and 2, 4-eye has 3 and 1. i don't know where to go from there - i've tried various combinations with those numbers but idk

think about placement, gotta recreate the steps as we see them performed (including winks)

any tips for todays? i - NEVERMIND had a lil brainflash and stopped focusing on bled island church in slovenia

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 24, 2020

google THIS

Wow, I saw five--no, six nuthatches today. Double success!

Prurient Squid

It's sure getting darker and colder. I wonder what the migratory behaviour of the Nuthatch is? I beat six but not five yet. In fact I haven't seriously tried five, it looks a little tiring.

Terry Harri

I want to be loud and clear right here. You cannot tango with a Nuthatch. Even the weakest poster is still much too strong for the fragile bird. You have been warned.

On a more positive note, another success on my end as well--I saw a Nuthatch! I told my friend Tom to start calling his Nuthatch spottings "successes" as well, seeing as we have decided to brute force this new vernacular on the birding world.

Terry Harri

Prurient Squid posted:

It's sure getting darker and colder. I wonder what the migratory behaviour of the Nuthatch is?

If you would believe it, most Nuthatches are non-migratory. It's a testament to their great strength and perseverance to not abandon that which they love. Though, honestly, they have no choice. If the chickadees aren't going to leave either, then someone has to stick around to keep them in check.

Terry Harri

This is what you all refer to as a "triple post". If I had a triple post, I would put a birdbox on each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

i saw two nuthatches in a row, my fifth and sixth!