Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Puzzle 83 If B is telling the truth, then F is not guilty, implying E is not guilty, implying A is not guilty, implying C is guilty. D's statement is false if B's is true, and so is C's, so that case is consistent. If B is lying, the F is guilty, implying E is guilty, implying ... that's already three guilty, so we conclude that B is telling the truth.

Thus C and D are guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Puzzle 83: If A = false, so is everyone else, so A = true. Since C is guilty, D is also guilty. C & D are the thieves.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Correct!

Puzzle 84: Theft in the Overseer's Home

A crime has occurred in the home of a wealthy village overseer. A valuable collection of ancient Dranacian artifacts has been stolen, and there is no question that it is an inside job. The suspects are the cookie, the housekeeper, the stable hand, and the huffalon groom, each of whom makes two statements. The statements made by the stable hand and the housekeeper are false, the huffalon groom makes one truthful statement and one false statement, thought in what order is unknown; only the cook makes two truthful statements.

But which suspect is which? They are identified only as A, B, C, and D.

Their statements follow:

A: 1. I am not the housekeeper.
2. The huffalon groom is guilty.
B: 1. I am not the huffalon groom.
2. The housekeeper is guilty.
C: 1. I am not the cook.
2. The stable hand is guilty.
D: 1. I am not the stable hand.
2. The cook is guilty.

Which one makes which statements, and who is the guilty party?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Puzzle 84: C's statement 1 can't be a lie, because that would contradict the setup, so C is the huffalon groom and lied in statement 2. B's statement 1 must be true, therefore they are the cook and identified the guilty party in statement 2. A and D are therefore liars in both their statements. A = housekeeper, guilty party; B = cook, innocent; C = huffalon groom, innocent; D = stable hand, innocent.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm abstaining because I own this book - except the Dranac stuff was packaged with other other puzzles.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I got to the same point by noticing that each person is "not" identified in one of the first statements, meaning that A and D must be the people they're claiming not to be because those are the only statements the liars could possibly make. The rest follows easily from there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Quackles posted:

I'm abstaining because I own this book - except the Dranac stuff was packaged with other other puzzles.

Huh. I looked at the inside front cover, just to check-and it actually says "This book is comprised of materials from the following titles:
Fantastic Book of Logic Puzzles by Murial Mandell, 1986
Amazing Logic Puzzles by Norman D. Willis, 1994

But yeah, you two got it right!

Purloined Prickly Plum Pie

The inhabitants of Dranac are especially fond of their delicious prickly plum pie. A pie just out of the oven and piping hot was placed on an open window sill to cool. It was not long before it disappeared and was illegally consumed.

There are three suspects who are known to be lovers of prickly plum pie. Each makes three statements as follows, although only one of the guilty party's statements is true. As to the truthfulness of the statements made by the other two suspects, little is known.

A: 1. I was not even there.
2. C stole the pie.
3. B helped him eat it.
B: 1. A stole the pie.
2. The aroma of prickly plum pie is hard to resist.
3. I did not steal the pie.
C: 1. I do not like prickly plum pie.
2. B stole the pie.
3. I did not steal the pie.

Who is guilty?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Puzzle 85: It's B. Statement B2 is almost certainly true, statements B1 and B3 being lies fits well with B being guilty, and A & C would not have only one true statement (A2 and A3 are lies if B stole the pie, and A1 is almost certainly a lie given he goes on to claim he knows who stole and ate the pie despite not being there; C lies in C1, tells the truth in C2 and C3).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Puzzle 83 No one can both be guilty and have their one truthful statement blame another person or deny their own guilt. That means none of A's statements can be the single truth of a guilty person. So A cannot be guilty.

B-1 and B-3 cannot be B's single truth if guilty. B-2 could be, which would make B guilty.

e: Just re-read the problem statement, and C is known to love the pie, so C cannot be guilty.
C-2 and C-3 cannot be C's single truth if guilty. There is nothing restricting C-1 from being true either, so C could also be guilty.

We can infer that C probably would not steal the pie if he doesn't like it, however, so even if it's not logically forced, I imagine B is more likely to be guilty here.

There's also the neat logic that if B is guilty, all of C's statements are likely true, and all of A's statements are likely false, which would be more consistent with the other citizens. (If C is guilty, B has a mix of one true, one false, and one probably-true.)

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 10, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Junpei posted:

Huh. I looked at the inside front cover, just to check-and it actually says "This book is comprised of materials from the following titles:
Fantastic Book of Logic Puzzles by Murial Mandell, 1986
Amazing Logic Puzzles by Norman D. Willis, 1994

Yeah, I own Amazing Logic Puzzles.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Correct!

Puzzle 86: Theft on the Farm

Farm tools and equipment are missing. They have been stolen, and the crime was committed by one of the four farmhands. Their statements are below. Unfortunately, none of them can be depended upon to speak truthfully; each makes one true statement and one false statement, although in which order is unknown.

Farmhand No. 1: 1. I do not truth Farmhand No. 2.
2. I am certainly not guilty.
Farmhand No. 2: 1. Farmhand No. 1 is guilty.
2. Farmhand No. 4 did not do it.
Farmhand No. 3: 1. I did not know that the theft had occurred until I heard about it the day it was discovered.
2. Farmhand No 1 did not do it.
Farmhand No. 4: 1. Farmhand No. 1 is innocent.
2. Farmhand No. 3 did not do it.

Who is the guilty one?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Puzzle 86: If #1 is guilty, both of #2's statements are true, so #1 is innocent. Since #4's first statement is that #1 is innocent, which is true, the second statement must be a lie. #3 is guilty.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Puzzle 86: Statement 2-1 cannot be true, since 2-2 would also be true in that case. That means 2-1 is false and and 2-2 is true. Thus both 1 and 4 are innocent. That means 1-2 is true and Farmhand 1 is in love with Farmhand 2. 4-1 is true, meaning 4-2 is false and Farmhand 3 is guilty. Checking Farmhand 3's statements, 3-1 is false and 3-2 is true.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Correct, both of you!

Puzzle 87: Who Stuffed The Ballot Box?

In the election for mayor of the village the winning candidate's margin of victory was only three votes. The problem is that there were twenty more votes than there are registered voters. Someone stuffed the ballot box.

Three suspects have been identified, and one of them is guilty. The three are A, the winning candidates' husband;, B, the losing candidate's wife; and C, a local character. They make statements, as follows:

A: 1. B had a motive to commit the crime.
2. C's first statement is true.
3. B is guilty.
B: 1. My husband was the one hurt by the results; I had no incentive to commit the crime
2. C did it.
3. My husband and I planned to spend several lunar periods on a region-wide tour. We would have had to cancel the trip if he had won the election; I had a motive.
C: 1. I was not near the voting booth on election day.
2. I am innocent.
3. B did it.

Considering that each supsect makes only one true statement, can you identify the guilty one?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Puzzle 87: B1 and B3 are making opposite claims and can't both be false, so B2 is false. C2 must be true, therefore C1 and C3 are false. Suspect A is guilty.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Correct!

Puzzle #88: Theft in the Village Marketplace

The economy of Dranac is based on buying, selling, and bartering staples in village marketplaces. Produce includes such things as huffalon milk, duplgoose eggs, and prickly plums. An armload of prickly plums is taken by a thief while the owner is engaged in negotiating a sale. Three suspects have been identified, one of whom is guilty. They make assertions below, although each suspect makes at least two false statements.

A:
1. B is guilty.
2. I have met C on several occasions.
3. I have plenty of my own prickly plums.
B:
1. A and C have never met.
2. I am guilty.
3. A's third statement is false.
C:
1. I have never met A.
2. A is guilty.
3. B's third statement is true.

Which one is guilty?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Puzzle 88 : If A is guilty, A-1 is false, B-2 is false, and C-2 is true. That means C-3 is false => B-3 is false => A-3 is true. But B-1 is also false, since C-1 is false, and B has no true statements.
If B is guilty, A-1 is true, B-2 is true => B-3 is false => A-3 is true, another contradiction.
If C is guilty, A-1 is false, B-2 is false, and C-2 is false. If C-3 is true, B-3 is true => A-3 is false, and A-2 is true. B-1 and C-1 are false and A & C have met multiple times. If C-3 is false, B-3 is false => A-3 is true. A-2 is false, so A & C have met only once.
Either way, C is guilty.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Puzzle #88:
1. A1/B2/C2 can only be T/T/F, F/F/T, or F/F/F.
2. A2/B1/C1 can only be T/F/F, F/T/T, or F/F/F.
3. A3/B3/C3 can only be T/F/F or F/T/T.

These lead to the following table for options:

A = guilty | B = guilty | C = guilty
A1/B2/C2 = F/F/T | A1/B2/C2 = T/T/F | A1/B2/C2 = F/F/F, F/F/F, F/F/F, F/F/F
A2/B1/C1 = F/F/F | A2/B1/C1 = F/F/F | A2/B1/C1 = T/F/F, F/T/T, F/F/F, F/F/F
A3/B3/C3 = T/F/F | A3/B3/C3 = F/T/T | A3/B3/C3 = F/T/T, T/F/F, T/F/F, F/T/T

Only B being guilty contradicts the setup, so he is innocent, but either A or C could be guilty with the statements as written. The book probably thinks that F/F/F isn't an option for A2/B1/C1 though, which would mean that C is guilty.

fake e: The setup says everyone makes at least two false statements, which means that yes, someone could have lied for all three statements.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Correct!

Puzzle #89: Theft of the Produce Cart

A cart pulled by a huffalon and loaded with duplgoose eggs for the village market were taken by a thief while the proprietor was busy setting up his sales booth. The stolen property was subsequently recovered, and there are three suspects. They each make assertions below, but not one of them makes all true statements.

A: 1. B is innocent.
2. Everything C will say is false.
3. I am not guilty.
B: 1. I did not do it.
2. C was in the village when it happened.
3. A's second statement is false.
C: 1. A is the thief.
2. I was not even near the village when it happened.
3. I am innocent.

One of the three is guilty, but which one?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Puzzle #89:
code:
      A = guilty | B = guilty | C = guilty
A1/A2/A3 = T/F/F | F/F/T      | T/F/T
B1/B2/B3 = T/F/T | F/?/T      | T/F/T
C1/C2/C3 = T/F/T | F/?/T      | F/?/F
The ?s denote cases where the value could be true or false (C could have been nearby, but not in the village, which would allow for B2 and C2 to both be false). Even if B2 and C2 can't both be false, it doesn't change the fact that B2/C2 can be F/T or T/F without contradiction, nor that any of the three suspects can be guilty as shown above without contradicting the setup requirement of at least one false statement per person. I will guess that the book's answer is that A is guilty.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
I see two solutions: one which is probably the intended solution, and one which depends on a technicality.

The first solution is that B is the guilty party.

Suppose C is guilty. Then C1, C2 and C3 are all false (for C2 I make the reasonable assumption that if C stole the cart, he was near the village).
But if all of C's statements were false, A2 is true. Furthermore, since C is guilty, A1 and A3 are also true; therefore all of A's statements are true, which violates the rule that nobody made three true statements.
So C must be innocent.

Suppose A is guilty. Then C1 and C3 are both true, meaning C2 must be false -- C was in the village when it happened.
At the same time, A2 is false, since not all of C's statements are false.
But in that case, B1 is true (B is innocent), B2 is true (C was in the village), and B3 is true (A2 is false). Which again violates the rule that nobody made three true statements.
So A must also be innocent.

Therefore B must be the guilty party. In this case, A1, B1 and C1 are all false, and so the rule is satisfied.
We can't actually determine whether C was near the village, but fortunately we're not required to determine that.

The second solution is that A is the guilty party.
We avoid the contradiction described above by noting that if C is *near* the village, but not actually *in* it, then both B2 and C2 are false; this (along with A1+A3 being false) also satisfies the rule.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alien Arcana's first answer was correct-B was guilty.

Puzzle #90: Attempted Sabotage

A group of space travelers landed on the planet but were not welcomed by all inhabitants. Someone tried to damage one of the airlocks on the travelers' spaceship. There are three suspects, and each is questioned regarding the crime. One makes three truthful statements; one makes no truthful statements; how one suspect responds is unknown. From the following statements made by the three suspects, determine which one is guilty.

A: 1. I did not do it.
2. I always speak truthfully.
3. I do not believe it is natural to travel in space.
B: 1. I did not do it.
2. My statements are all false.
3. I do not believe it is natural to travel in space.
C: 1. I did not do it.
2. Only one of my statements is false.
3. I would like to go with the space travelers when they leave.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Since all three suspects say that they didn't do it as their first statement, the guilty one must be lying with that statement. No one else's first statement can be a lie, so the one who's lying all the time must be the guilty one. That can't be B, because then statement B-2 would be true, which is a contradiction. Neither can B be telling the truth in all three statements, for the same reason. Likewise, C can't be telling the truth with all statements, because if C-2 is true, then one of the other statements would be false. So A is truthful all the way through. Hence, neither A nor B is lying all the way through, so C is lying all the way and is guilty.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Puzzle #90: A must be the person who made three truthful statements, as B and C state that one or more of their statements are false, and C must be the person who made only false statements, as one of B's statements is that all his statements are false. Thus C is guilty per C1.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

The guilty party is C.

B2 would be false if spoken by a truth-teller, and true if spoken by a liar, so neither could have made that statement. Therefore B must be the suspect who is neither, and A and C are the truth-teller and liar in some order.
However, C cannot be the truth-teller, because that would make C2 a lie. Therefore C is the liar.
And of course, that means C1 is a lie, and C is the guilty party.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yep, correct from all of y'all.

Puzzle #91: Saddle Theft

On several occasions recently, huffalon saddles have been discovered missing from the Village Saddle and Cart Company, and there is sufficient evidence to conclude that a thief has been at work.

The list of suspected thieves has been narrowed to four employees. All four were on duty during the times that the thefts occurred.

The four suspects make the following statements, several of which are false. In fact, no two of the four make the same number of true statements.

A: 1. B is the guilty one.
2. I was on a fishing trip during the last theft.
3. No one thinks I am guilty.
B: 1. A is lying; I am not the guilty one.
2. C has been on duty during every theft.
3. D is guilty.
C: B's first statement is true.
2. I agree with A's first statement.
3. I am not guilty.
D: 1. A's alibi is false.
2. All of C's statements are false.
3. I would not think of committing the crime.

Which of the four suspects is guilty?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
The following are the number of true statements each suspect makes for each possible culprit:
A: A-(0,1) B-2 C-2 D-(0,1)
B: A-(1,2) B-1 C-1 D-(1,2)
C: A-(0,1) B-2 C-1 D-(1,2)
D: A-(0,1) B-3 C-2 D-1

The only way for them to have different numbers of true statements is if D is the culprit. Also A must be telling all lies, so there is at least one person in existence that thinks A is guilty (probably because A is such a liar).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Initially I had an overly complicated answer here that ignored the fact that all four were on duty during the thefts. Here's the simpler one.

From the facts given (all were on duty during the thefts), we can get the first line below. Additionally, C1 or C2 cannot both be true, which means D2 is false.

pre:
A 1 2 3    B 1 2 3    C 1 2 3   D 1 2 3
  ? F ?      ? T ?      ? ? ?     T F ?
  F F F      T T T      T F T     T F F
The only person who could be telling three truths is B, which means D is guilty. From this, the rest of the statements check out; somebody thinks A is guilty and D wouldn't dream of doing it.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 3, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Kangra has got it, and thus, we are finished with The Planet Dranac-and thus, we move on to Knowhey Land.

This is the land of the future. The Knowhey civilization is an advanced one, and the inhabitants are observed to be of great height and intelligence. A peculiarity of Knowheyans, however, is that they always speak in negative sentences, which, in itself, can be puzzling.

Because of the strange language spoken by the Knowheyans, an interpreter is provided to serve as a guide in this section and to respond to questions that might be asked.

Puzzle #92: Multiple Level Living

The land of Knowhey is small and has a large population. Because of limited space Knowheyans live in multiple level residential buildings. Six inhabitants each occupy a different level in a six-level building.

The interpreter explains, in typical Knowheyan fashion, which inhabitant lives on which level, as follows:

1. A does not live above the third level.
2. Neither C nor E lives above either D or F.
3. F does not live below A or B, and does not live above D.
4. E does not live below B or above A.

Which inhabitant lives on which level?

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

#92: From top to bottom, D F C A E B.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

The solution is (from 1st to 6th floor) B E A C F D.

By statements 2 and 3, F is above A, B, C and E and below D, so it's on the fifth floor.
By statement 3, D is above F, and we know F is on floor 5, so D is on the sixth floor.
By statement 1, A is no higher than floor 3. But by statement 4, A is above B and E, meaning A can't be on floors 1 or 2, either. So A must be on the third floor.
By statement 4, A is above E, so E is on floor 1 or 2; but E is also above B, so it can't be on floor 1. So E must be on the second floor.
By statement 4 again, B is below E, which is on floor 2, so B must be on the first floor.
By process of elimination, C is on the fourth floor.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Correct!

Puzzle #93: Knowheyan Jobs

Five Knowheyans, A, B, C, D, and E, work in a metropolis as a(n) Airfoil Technician, Communications Consultant, Space Planner, Lunar Energy Engineer, and Synthetic Food Nutritionist. No two of them are the same age.

The Knowheyan interpreter explains about the jobs and ages of these five inhabitants, as follows:

1. The Communications Consultant is not younger than any of the other four.
2. D is not as old as A and not as young as B, who is not as old as the Lunar Energy Engineer, but not as young as C.
3. The Airfoil Technician is not younger than the Space Planner, who is not younger than the Synthetic Food Nutritionist
4. C is not the youngest of the five.

What is the job of each of the five Knowheyans?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There's something wrong with this problem. Even if you're extremely charitable and allow statements like "x is not as old as y' to mean 'x is younger than y', you still don't uniquely determine the jobs. All you can get is that the youngest, E, is the Synthetic Food Nutritionist and a few minor constraints such as only A or D can be the Lunar Energy Engineer

e: My best guess for the intended solution:

A: Comm Con
B: Airfoil Tech
C:Space Planner
D: Lunar Energy Engr.
E: Synth Food Nut.

vvvvvvv
The issue is that the negation in statement 1 is inherently ambiguous - but I suppose that if one assumes a solution does exist, then the interpretation that leads to a unique solution is the correct one (which is how I got my solution).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 12, 2021

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

I think it's solvable.

For ease of description, let (1), (2), (3), (4), (5) be the five from oldest to youngest.

By clue 2, A, D and B are all older than C, so none of them can be (5). By clue 4, C is also not (5). Therefore (5) must be E.
By clue 2, A is older than D, who is older than B, who is older than C. Since we know that E is (5), they must be (1)-(4) in that order.

So far we have (1) A, (2) D, (3) B, (4) C, (5) E.

By clue 1, the Communications Consultant is (1) = A.
By clue 2, the Lunar Energy Engineer is older than B. Only A and D are older than B, and we already know what A does, so the LEE must be D = (2).
By clue 3, the Airfoil Technician is older than the Space Planner, who is older than the Synthetic Food Nutritionist. Since (1) and (2) are accounted for, they must be (3)-(5) in that order.

So the final answer is
(1) A = Communications Consultant
(2) D = Lunar Energy Engineer
(3) B = Airfoil Technician
(4) C = Space Planner
(5) E = Synthetic Food Nutritionist

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

If no two of them are the same age, that means that if X is not younger than Y, X must be older than Y, and if Y is not as old as X, then Y must be youngeer than X.

With that, let's sort our provided information:

CC > *
A > D > B > C
LEE > B
AT > SP > SFN
C > ...

Since A, D, and B are already older than C, C > E. LEE is older than B, so LEE can only be A or D. But since CC > *, and A also > *, CC = A, so naturally D = LEE. Now we just sort the rest of the 3 jobs: AT > SP > SFN.

A (CC) > D (LEE) > B (AT) > C (SP) > E (SFN).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You got it right, Alien Arcana and Aesculus!

Puzzle #94: Knowheyan Art Fair

Knowheyans are not negative by nature; it is just that their way of expressing themselves, using negative sentences, makes it appear that way.

Several fortunate visitors have an opportunity to attend the Midseason Art Fair, in which they are able to observe a variety of Knowheyan art forms. An artists' competition was held as a part of the fair and awards were given for the top four entries, which were collage painting, holography, laser etchings, and reconstituted materials sculpture. The interpreter is explaining the results of the competition to the visitors:

1. A, who was not the first place winner, did not enter a holograph.
2. The fourth-place winner did not enter a sculpture or a holograph.
3. The one who entered the collage painting, who was neither A nor C, did not win first or second place.
4. Neither B, nor the one who entered the laser etching, was the fourth-place winner.
5. The third-place winner was neither B nor C.
6. The one who entered the laser etching, who was not A, was not the second place winner.

What was the art entry of each of the four and in what order did they finish?

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

1st: C, Laser
2nd: B, Holo
3rd: A, Sculpture
4th: D, Collage

I rewrote the phrases in a simplified manner on a notepad so that I could skim it better, which meant that the wording of #4 totally escaped me. Had to read it a couple times until I realized what tripped me up.

The phrases say 4th place was the collage as it isn't the other three. B isn't 4th, and neither A nor C submitted the collage, so it's D.

Since 3rd place isn't B or C, it had to be A. Holography isn't A, and laser isn't A. Therefore, 3rd place is the sculpture.

We're left with B, C, Holography and Laser. Laser isn't 2nd place, so of course it's 1st by elimination. Same with holo being 2nd.

Phrase 4 says that neither B nor the person who submitted the laser etchings were 4th place. So, B could not have submitted the laser. B is 2nd, C is 1st.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

collage painting - D, 4th place
holography - B, 2nd place
laser etchings - C, 1st place
reconstituted materials sculpture - A, 3rd place

By #2 & #4, 4th-place must be the collage.
By #3, only B or D entered the collage, so by #4, D must be 4th-place with the collage.
By #5, A must be the third-place winner.
By #6 and #4, A did not enter the laser etching, and neither did B, so C entered the laser etching.
By #6, C cannot be second-place, so must be first-place, and then B is second-place.
By #1, A did not enter the holograph, and thus must have entered the sculpture, leaving B to enter the holograph.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

1st: etching by C
2nd: holograph by B
3rd: sculpture by A
4th: painting by D.

A has to have entered the sculpture, since everything else is ruled out.

B has to be 1st or 2nd. The etching has to be 1st or 3rd.

The painting has to be 3rd or 4th, and has to be D since it can't be B.

4th place has to be painting or etching, and since etching has to be 1st or 3rd, the painting is 4th and done by D.

3rd place is A or D, and we've already set D to 4th so 3rd is A with the sculpture. The etching has to be 1st.

"Neither B, nor the one who entered the laser etching" implies B did not enter the etching. If this is true, then C entered the etching and B entered the holograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Correct, all three of you!

Puzzle #95: Strange-Sounding Names

The names of the inhabitants of Knowhey sound strange to the visitors, and they are difficult to pronounce due to their length and the few vowel sounds they contain. The Knowheyan guide is discussing the names of four inhabitants, whom we will refer to as A, B, C, and D. Their names each contain up to eight syllables, although none of the four names contain the same number. Two of the names contain no vowel sounds; one contains one vowel sound; and one contains two vowel sounds.

From the guide's statements below, determine the number of syllables and vowel sounds in each of the four Knowheyan names.

1. The one whose name contains two vowel sounds is not A.
2. C's name does not contain more than one vowel sound or fewer than seven syllables.
3. The name with seven syllables does not contain exactly one vowel sound.
4. B and C do not have names with the same number of vowel sounds.
5. Neither the name with five syllables nor the name with seven syllables contain more than one vowel sound.
6. Neither the name with six syllables nor B's name, contains two vowel sounds.