Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

rscott posted:

The title is fairly summary. I want to convince the upper management of the company that I work for to create a new position for me to leverage my unique skill set, and to give myself a substantial increase in wages while converting from hourly to salary.
No, you want to implement a plan you've been thinking about that would save the company $X in man hours and create more efficient workflows that will remove Y and Z bottlenecks in production. In order to do this, you want to take A, B, and C responsibilities off the plate of these employees to assist them in being more productive with their work and streamline operations in general.

"I have some ideas of how we could restructure my position to better support the company's goal of Blahblah, who do you think I could talk to about this?" If you have a direct supervisor, I would go to them first if you think they'll have your back, or if there's multiple pick the supervisor who likes you most/thinks you can help THEM out the most.

Repeat: this is not about helping you or getting you to salary. This is about helping the company/your boss, and focus on getting the position created. That is what you are selling. Once they buy into it, then you can bring up what title/pay will make sense for your new role.

You may decide if it's better for you in the long run to get a title change to manager or director or whatever and use that to change jobs (it likely is). If you can work for a smaller company and do all of these things, you may get a better position right off the bat. Are you looking actively for other jobs?

I really hope they're not planning to lay you off but take an honest look at what you wrote and see if this could be the case.

Edit: and where are you located?

moana fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU