Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Look at these terrifying goblins
https://youtu.be/rIXbj2sCHJo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Marmaduke! posted:

Look at these terrifying goblins
https://youtu.be/rIXbj2sCHJo

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
You know what's almost as good as goblins? Old-school orcs, which are just big goblins

Yeah baby, that's the stuff

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Lol at uk's itv blocking a tiny clip from a 30 year old kids show

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I watched Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky last night and every human in that movie is a goblin, they're all horrible and I want to defend them

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
give a man a goblin and he has a son

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Froghammer posted:

You know what's almost as good as goblins? Old-school orcs, which are just big goblins

This orc looks like a friend, to me.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Wrestlepig posted:

give a man a goblin and he has a son

threadquote.

Froghammer posted:

orcs are just goblins who've gotten too big for their small boy pants

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLLHu8qtxjg

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I love all these short lads of all varieties

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I have the strangest sense of familiarity with this one...wait a second.
Is Donald Duck a goblin?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
If Donald Duck isn’t a goblin, he at the very least has, as the kids say these days, “powerful goblin energy.”

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

A couple months back, I ran an improv heavy goblin themed oneshot in 5e. Here's a quick writeup with some copy/pasted notes, incase anyone wants some inspiration for a short goblin adventure.

Three (or four) Goblins in a Trench coat

Overview: the players are goblins who recently acquired the most powerful magical item known to goblinkind-- a trench coat enchanted with the spell Seeming. When three* goblins stack on each other's shoulders and wear the trench coat, they will appear to be a very ugly elf. The goblin on the top has the very important job of acting as the face of the group. The goblin in the middle sticks their arms through the sleeves, and performs any manual task the group requires. The goblin on the bottom is the strong foundation that supports the group. It is a noble and thankless task, and perfect for screwing with your other party members. When the players were given this coat, they were instructed to go to the nearest town and acquire valuable, tasty, and pretty things. The town is full of interesting shops, odd locations, decadent temples, and peculiar people. When the players move between points of interest, the goblin on the bottom of the stack gets tired, and needs to swap positions with another goblin in the trenchcoat. The cooperative nature of the stack, frequent swaps, and silly scenes encourages players to cooperate and antagonize each other as the team steals loot and causes chaos.

* If you are running the game for four or more players, give the party two trench coats. The goblins are now on two competing teams. Instead of encouraging the bottom-goblin to swap with another player, randomly pick one player, and give them a reason to change their team. The reason should be extremely petty, such as describing the body odor of the other goblin in their coat, or saying that the other coat's color would really bring out the lovely green tint in their skin. This should result in players frequently changing sides, and forming no serious attachment to their team assignments. Team identity should have no consequence, and should only be treated seriously if it's funny.

Locations
  • The Glittering Vial: This is the town alchemy and novelty shop, and it should be the player's first stop in town. It's run by Orwell the gnome, who has a large mustache that looks like a push broom. The Glittering Vial is full of wonderful and helpful potions that are perfect for adventurers and pranksters alike. Around the store are ceiling high shelves stocked with a wide range of potions, such as Healing Potions, Oils of Slipperiness, Princely Paste (a weakened version of Sovereign Glue), Instant Ice, Dust of Dryness, Glitter Bombs, Sneezing Powder, Bottled Bees, Liquor of Locusts, Essence of Elasticity, and more. Behind the counter in a well lit glass case is an intricate gilded vial full of a thick amber colored liquid that is labeled "Brass Dragon Snot." Goblins should not know what any of these potions do, but can read the labels, and are free to make assumptions. The shop is full of stepping stools and waist-high partitions-- perfect for a gnome to stock shelves, but also allows goblins to sneak out of their place in the stack to steal some potions. In the game I ran, the bottom and middle goblin of the stack decided to place the top goblin on something, while the two of them ran around stealing stuff.

• The High Markets: This is the center of town, and should be the second place players go to. After the players finish in the markets, they may go to any other location in any order they want. The High Markets are full of a wide array of shops and booths, and it even has some traveling performers putting on shows. Merchants include chicken mongers, bread artisans, cookie artists, humble butchers, arrogant blacksmiths, and more. Performances range from traditional musical acts performed by classic minstrels to artificer chainsaw carvings to a high intensity cooking competition. Players may steal from any and all of the people here, or they can blend into the crowds to avoid anyone pursuing them. One of my players wanted to use their proficiency in cooking tools here, so the goblins got into a cook-off with the performers.

• His Gentle Light: A temple to your setting's god of kindness and light (I used Palor for 5e). The temple has a sense of serene peace inside of it. The windows are immaculately made, and allow bright sunlight to fall upon the alter at the front of the temple. On the alter sits an immaculate crystalline prism, that capture the light in the temple and paints the interior a rainbow of colors. The walls of the temple are lined with exquisite marble statues of saints, clothed in luxurious silks and detailed with gold embellishments. When the players enter, they see that the temple is mostly empty, save for a few villagers praying and the head priest. The head priest of the temple is warm and friendly. Players may attempt to steal anything and everything in this temple.

• Cinderbrush Fields: At the edge of town is a large walled farm full of exotic plants from the plane of fire. These plants are constantly ablaze, and the air above the field is covered in wisps of black smoke and glowing embers. The walls around the field are 8 feet tall, and guards patrol the fields day and night to protect the valuable plants. The guards are also responsible for putting out any wildfires caused by these plants, and they take their fire fighting duties extremely seriously. If players somehow get their hands on these plants and attempt to take some as loot, they will find that the plants cannot be stored in their bag without setting it on fire. They will need to come up with a special method of storing it, such as magically freezing it in water, or making a haphazard clay container for it.

• Warehouse #12: A nondescript warehouse nestled between The Glittering Vial and His Gentle Light. The inside of the warehouse is partitioned into multiple storage areas used by various merchants in town. The interior is patrolled by lazy guards, and the doors on each section of the warehouse is secured by shoddy locks. The third time players break into a storage area, they come face-to-face with another burglar. This appears to be a very gaunt dragonborn man, but is actually three kobolds in a trenchcoat, performing a similar thieving spree to the player's. If exposed, the kobolds will accuse the players of "stealing their idea," and will start shouting at the players if not pacified. They will not be satisfied until the players give them some loot.

• The Princely Cock: A lovely tavern with a signboard depicting a youthful and regal rooster. The tavern has comfortable amenities for dinning, wonderful food, and plush rooms available for rent. Behind the tavern's counter is a wide variety of amazing vintages. Elves and dwarves who drink in the tavern would complain that bottles of delicate elven wine are being displayed next to casks of thick dwarven ale, but all of the other patrons are just glad to be in the tavern and enjoy the wonderful drinks it serves. The goblins may even ask for a small sample to taste the wonderful drinks. If the players are caught stealing, the tavern will descend into chaos as the patrons attempt to steal and abscond with the drinks for their own pleasure. My players wanted to be sneaky here, and cause a distraction before attempting to steal anything. Their plan was to go to the restroom, make a huge mess out of it, call the tavern keeper over to it, then steal everything they could while the tavern keeper was cleaning up.

• The Goldenhoard Estate: A wonderful rococo villa that overlooks the town. The villa is surrounded by a tasteful and elegant baroque iron fence, which allows the dirty masses to see the statuary, fountains, and gardens of the estate. The villa has large windows, and it is filled with decadent furniture. The kitchen is full of scrumptious sweets and silverware made out of precious metals. The walls of the estate covered in masterpieces, most of which are portraits depicting the inbred noble dragonborn that own the estate. The esteemed nobles' misaligned eyes and sagging jowels are captured marvelously by the master painters on large canvasses stretched between carved wooden frames, creating a heavy framed painting the same size as the stack of goblins. The exterior of the estate is patrolled by guards, and the interior is constantly cleaned by servants. If players decide to take a painting from the wall, stick their head through it, and attempt to pretend to be the person the painting depicts, the magic of their trench coat will extend to this disguise. Why yes, this is something a player wanted to try, why do you ask?

• The Pastoral Vows Destination Wedding Venue: On the edge of town is a lovely little wedding chapel with a secluded private garden. The chapel has a wonderful view of the horizon to the east, allowing attendants to watch the sun set on the quaint town. When the players enter the scene, they will come in at the end of the wedding ceremony, right when the local pastor says "if anyone can show just cause why this couple cannot lawfully be joined together in matrimony, let them speak now or forever hold their peace." Let players do what comes naturally to them. The presents for the couple are in the back of the room, and goblins can sneak away with them in the chaos they are sure to cause. The presents are wrapped, so they will need to shake them to determine the contents.

This was intended for low level 5e D&D, but can be ported to whatever system you'd like. When players first start their adventure in the town, it should be easy to pull off shenanigans. For 5e D&D with level 1 PCs (with some higher level class features/spells thrown in for fun), I started off with a DC of 8 for every check. Whenever players failed a check, the DC increased by 1 for the rest of the scene. Whenever players finished a scene, the global DC increased by 1, as the town slowly became alerted to the presence of the goblins. If the players failed the majority of checks for a scene, the DC increased by an additional 1 point, as the town entered a higher alert. The goal should be a 75% chance of success at the start, and a 50% chance near the end. Additionally, whenever players fail a check, give a narrative explanation that increases the apparent value of the object they desire. If they are robbing a temple and fail to spot a guard, it's because they were too focused on the way the altar's treasure glitters in the sunlight. If they do not successfully open the cage full of chickens, it's because they are magic intelligent chickens, and the owner had to use special locks to keep the chickens from freeing themselves. Always tempt players and give them a reason to pursue a goal, even if it is going poorly. This slow ramp-up of difficulty and value allows players to pull off silly loony tunes antics at the start of the one-shot, and will allows it escalate into a manic frenzy by the end as the goblins are run out of town with their sack of incredible loot.

If your group uses a VTT, I strongly recommend making an MS Paint drawing of a trench coat, and insisting that players move their tokens with it to show where they are in the stack. It is very silly, and helps people get in the mindset of playing out a cartoon cliché.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 29, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
might as well post some good Orcs and Goblins from one of my favorite pieces of Early Dungeon Fantasy, the aptly named Down In The Dungeon;

The Entrance
a jolly little guy to start us off

and here we first see Down In The Dungeon's take on Orcs, both more bestial in appearance and advanced in technology than the average Orc, also they clearly love their jobs

Goblins
apparently these guys are supposed to be Goblins, a bit odd by modern standards but it does line up with the older style of Goblin that were kin to Dwarves and Gnomes(indeed nothing in DITD is explicitly labeled a Dwarf funnily enough despite there being multiple things labeled Gnome, Halfling, and Hobbit, so my headcanon is that Goblins and Dwarves are the same thing in this universe with any difference between them being cultural rather than biological)

pretty self-explanatory, these guys are just having a great time

Guardians of The Temple
these guys(not sure if Orc or something else) clearly were partying too hard

some people complain of Fantasy Settings having too many races in them often mockingly comparing them to the Mos Eisley Cantina scene from Star Wars, which I've never understood cause that scene is awesome, as is this scene that is very blatantly based on it

no idea what this guy is(though he looks more like a Goblin than the guys earlier called Goblins) but he's clearly an equal opportunity employer, also he has a sick giant lizard mount

The Pit
and now he's hosed up...

Dungeon Denizens
more Orcs and some of their other buddies, no idea what an Andol or Malick is but they seem like pleasant chaps

not very often you see a Wizard of Goblin persuasion in these early fantasy art pieces so that's a welcome bit of diversity

and some people just have the worst luck

Taking The Bait
I figure if Orcs are allowed here than this fellow(clearly some sort of Ogre or Troll) should also be fine

and that's about all the Goblin related pics from Down In The Dungeon, check the link at the top of the post for the rest of the book

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

there's a 4e intro adventure that has you team up with a goblin named splugg and our dm went to write it on the mat upside down came out with 2plugg. 2plugg went on to be the absolute mvp critting constantly, many on the last boss, a white dragon several crs above the party who we would not have defeated without him

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

might as well post some good Orcs and Goblins from one of my favorite pieces of Early Dungeon Fantasy, the aptly named Down In The Dungeon;

The Entrance
a jolly little guy to start us off

and here we first see Down In The Dungeon's take on Orcs, both more bestial in appearance and advanced in technology than the average Orc, also they clearly love their jobs

Goblins
apparently these guys are supposed to be Goblins, a bit odd by modern standards but it does line up with the older style of Goblin that were kin to Dwarves and Gnomes(indeed nothing in DITD is explicitly labeled a Dwarf funnily enough despite there being multiple things labeled Gnome, Halfling, and Hobbit, so my headcanon is that Goblins and Dwarves are the same thing in this universe with any difference between them being cultural rather than biological)

pretty self-explanatory, these guys are just having a great time

Guardians of The Temple
these guys(not sure if Orc or something else) clearly were partying too hard

some people complain of Fantasy Settings having too many races in them often mockingly comparing them to the Mos Eisley Cantina scene from Star Wars, which I've never understood cause that scene is awesome, as is this scene that is very blatantly based on it

no idea what this guy is(though he looks more like a Goblin than the guys earlier called Goblins) but he's clearly an equal opportunity employer, also he has a sick giant lizard mount

The Pit
and now he's hosed up...

Dungeon Denizens
more Orcs and some of their other buddies, no idea what an Andol or Malick is but they seem like pleasant chaps

not very often you see a Wizard of Goblin persuasion in these early fantasy art pieces so that's a welcome bit of diversity

and some people just have the worst luck

Taking The Bait
I figure if Orcs are allowed here than this fellow(clearly some sort of Ogre or Troll) should also be fine

and that's about all the Goblin related pics from Down In The Dungeon, check the link at the top of the post for the rest of the book

incredible. too bad copies are going for over $300

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jarofpiss posted:

incredible. too bad copies are going for over $300

Funny I only paid about 40 for my copy last year, but I guess that happens when you have a book that's been out of print for the better part of 40 years, definitely would be the kind of thing I'd contribute to a Kickstarter for a new print run though

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I wish I could have done the opposite of seeing that orc maiden-at-arms pic.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I love how the adventurers are wearing underwear, while the orcs and goblins have sensible, well fitted plate and mail armor.

e: It even it fits with Tolkein's original vision of goblins, as a caricature of man under industrial capitalism. The orcs can build big nasty factories and crank out cuirasses by the thousands, while the simple agrarian humans can't even afford shirts.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 1, 2020

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Funny I only paid about 40 for my copy last year, but I guess that happens when you have a book that's been out of print for the better part of 40 years, definitely would be the kind of thing I'd contribute to a Kickstarter for a new print run though

i love this era of fantasy art. what does the book look like? is it a decent quality folio sized art book? i could see paying like $100 or so if i could find a copy for that and it's nicely printed.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

drrockso20 posted:

might as well post some good Orcs and Goblins from one of my favorite pieces of Early Dungeon Fantasy, the aptly named Down In The Dungeon;[/url]

All of these orcs and goblins are good and awes--

[quote="drrockso20" post="510330738"]

You, uhh... you got some Nazi orcs there.

drrockso20 posted:

Love the severed head on the coatrack in this one.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

GimpInBlack posted:

You, uhh... you got some Nazi orcs there.

Love the severed head on the coatrack in this one.

The artist for these mostly did WW2 aircraft art(indeed military books are the main thing that the book's publisher does) prior to doing Down In The Dungeon so I wouldn't be surprised if he just got a little lazy with that logo

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lol at the female orc having six titty-cups

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Hey, I got some of those

Some of these, too, given the season

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 1, 2020

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Art @ Thesquidmonkey

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

GIRL BRAINS fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 2, 2020

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
That's a spicy signature to insert into an official WOTC illustration. Assuming that object next to Mark Behm's name is what I think it is.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
The nose knows.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

mellonbread posted:

That's a spicy signature to insert into an official WOTC illustration. Assuming that object next to Mark Behm's name is what I think it is.
Actually, that's just part of the rich lore of the card it's from.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can't help but notice the door's lack of anything that the handle or lock would operate. Or even something to hold it closed. Or the fact it's already open.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

I can't help but notice the door's lack of anything that the handle or lock would operate. Or even something to hold it closed. Or the fact it's already open.

What you're seeing is the finest goblin engineering being overcome only by the finest goblin lockpicking skills. True masters of their craft at work.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Fiendishly clever, isn't it?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I wish I could have done the opposite of seeing that orc maiden-at-arms pic.

That’s not how breast plate works. It’s also not how breast plate works, or how breast plate works.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

mellonbread posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is very dubious bout Wizards' artist 'paintbrush' icon.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

That’s not how breast plate works. It’s also not how breast plate works, or how breast plate works.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Froghammer posted:

avocado pear
This is like the recipes for sandwich spread in the Mad Men cookbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

This is violence