Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
What makes a goblin a goblin? What is the essence of goblinhood?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

an intense personal drive towards being a scrabbly underdog
probably need to be small
alternative standard of personal and domestic hygiene
low-skill resourcefulness, like, you ably re-use stuff you stole others throw away but it's all shoddily repurposed with not a lot of finesse

I think those are the essentials, there's a lot of other fairly common traits but they're not universal

e. hm

gumption
possession is 10/10ths of the law
good at hiding
a sort of bloody-mindedness, like, not necessarily murderous, but violence and larceny always occur to them as at least potential options

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 4, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
like elves & dwarves, goblins were essentially made up whole cloth by tolkien one century ago

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Rambunctiousness, sometimes to the point of unpleasantness is key to being a goblin

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Flakey posted:

You know it when you see it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

imo goblins should have non-human skin tones, a classic green, maybe a blue-ish or ruddy orange if you're feeling fancy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Goblins look great in every colour and tone. From pallid sickly mayo white with beady red eyes to the greeniest green goblin with big jaundiced dinner plate eyes like the weird jelly that forms in an old glass of table milk in the 90s.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Leperflesh posted:

an intense personal drive towards being a scrabbly underdog
probably need to be small
alternative standard of personal and domestic hygiene
low-skill resourcefulness, like, you ably re-use stuff you stole others throw away but it's all shoddily repurposed with not a lot of finesse

I think those are the essentials, there's a lot of other fairly common traits but they're not universal

e. hm

gumption
possession is 10/10ths of the law
good at hiding
a sort of bloody-mindedness, like, not necessarily murderous, but violence and larceny always occur to them as at least potential options

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quark is definitely a goblin

doesn't kira actually call him a goblin at some point lol

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Leperflesh posted:

quark is definitely a goblin

doesn't kira actually call him a goblin at some point lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 5, 2024

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Imo if you're making sad comics about a misunderstood goblin living in an abbey you've misunderstood goblins

The old man and the abbey shoulda got blown up

Nice art tho

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

part of goblinhood is the mistake humans keep making of thinking they're just misunderstood and with some kindness and understanding a goblin can be basically just a small human

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Flakey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVC3sT1lAo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flakey posted:

A mischievous little pile of secretions.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Just a goblin loving life

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Imo if you're making sad comics about a misunderstood goblin living in an abbey you've misunderstood goblins

The old man and the abbey shoulda got blown up

Nice art tho

ye

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Theres nothing in the rules that says Goblins cant be sad :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Theres nothing in the rules that says Goblins cant be sad :smith:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1765344678835097966

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I haven't touched Magic in years but I've recently been made aware of this:

And despite not explicitly being a goblin nor having goblin typing it is very clear just from a glance that this little man is goblin stock through and through.

Goblin is a feeling you feel, not so rigidly defined by birth or class. Like obscenity, the essence of goblin is impossible to define but you know it when you see it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SkeletonHero posted:

And despite not explicitly being a goblin nor having goblin typing it is very clear just from a glance that this little man is goblin stock through and through.
yeah, soup stock

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

I haven't touched Magic in years but I've recently been made aware of this:

Goblin is a feeling you feel, not so rigidly defined by birth or class. Like obscenity, the essence of goblin is impossible to define but you know it when you see it.

I mean it's obviously an undead skele goblin

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Agree/disagree?

The first one is def just a gnome barbarian/caveman

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IMO we shouldn't one-true-Scotsman goblinhood, it's an inclusive category

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Quibbling over goblinness is ungoblin. To gatekeep at all implies a level of gate management unbecoming of goblinkind.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

Agree/disagree?

Warhammer: AoS goblins are great too. They mostly live underground and get hosed up on mushrooms

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

a7m2 posted:

Warhammer: AoS goblins are great too. They mostly live underground and get hosed up on mushrooms

I thought they were also not-Mongols?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EVIL Gibson posted:

Agree/disagree?

Never agree with a list where starfinder is the least worst option.

Here's the 4e goblins:

*completely green
*ludicrous teeth situation
*long luscious locks
*why is that guy jumping? Because he's a goblin.
*shift one when missed by a melee attack which is annoying as hell and also the reason why that guy is jumping

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 7, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The recent redo of the 5e Starter Set adventure features gerbles quite prominently in its artwork:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Samovar posted:

I thought they were also not-Mongols?

That was in the old warhammer fantasy.

Warhammer Fantasy goblins came in three flavours: Vanilla goblins with a kind of mongol vibe, Forest goblins that live in trees and are maybe a wee bit a offensive indigenous stereotype, and Night Goblins that live in caves and get hosed up on mushrooms.

AOS left the vanilla goblins behind, Night Goblins got their own faction which also contains a few of the forest goblins as kind of a vestigial remnant that will probably get removed at some point.

Taking the opportunity to post this, the greatest model kit Games Workshop has ever released. Just a unit of five extremely weird little guys. The one tripping loving balls and hallucinating mushroom monsters is particularly delightful.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Are these goblins?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Hobgoblins

Debatable

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

This is gorgeous, getting real "Thief and the Cobbler" vibes

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Geisladisk posted:

Taking the opportunity to post this, the greatest model kit Games Workshop has ever released. Just a unit of five extremely weird little guys. The one tripping loving balls and hallucinating mushroom monsters is particularly delightful.

I adore the dude tripping balls. Especially given his highly literal shroom-trip hallucinations: big brain fungus, a flying bitey toadstool, and little goblins with mushroom heads tormenting him by poking his rear end with sticks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Strange Cares posted:

This is gorgeous, getting real "Thief and the Cobbler" vibes

I went so long without seeing it, I even remember a professor trying to tell me to find one of the attempted restorations just never did I guess and what a shame. I still have not finished it because it is too inspiring, I'll watch a tiny bit and be like oh poo poo I gotta try somethin like that. I was even impressed with how they animated the flies.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

GhastlyBizness posted:

I adore the dude tripping balls. Especially given his highly literal shroom-trip hallucinations: big brain fungus, a flying bitey toadstool, and little goblins with mushroom heads tormenting him by poking his rear end with sticks

I love his utterly terrified little face

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'm not sure why some of the goblins need to be built like John Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not sure why some of the goblins need to be built like John Cena.

helps when sneaking