Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

from sirartwork on tumblr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I like goblins

Especially goblins on squigs :)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Synthbuttrange posted:

sirartwork on tumblr

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If goblins are real, and horny jail is real, do you think goblins would be out of it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i.e. this goblin twink wearing only an apron is trying to sell me paint.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Goblins are prime fodder for art fusion. Here, meeting mesoamerican art:

From https://www.instagram.com/gabriele_cardosi?igsh=MTg3dnN5eTYxN3QyOQ==

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

lilljonas posted:

damnit you're making me want another goblin tattoo

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

lilljonas posted:

Completely owns

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

I seent it [source]

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

One of my favorite local artists (@wolf.baker on ig) does some sweet goblin art and I picked up this print and book from him at an art show.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
6 hours ago: Emergency systems were initialized on Icarus Station, a small monitoring facility in low solar orbit

5 hours ago: Icarus crew reported multiple deaths and “one GOBLIN with a knife.”

4 hours ago: All communications went dark.

3 hours ago: You were hired to clear the station of threats and recover any living crew.

2 hours ago: You learned goblins are real.

1 hour ago: You and your team arrived in local space near Icarus Station on docking approach.

NOW: The airlock is opening. TIME TO GO.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The itch.io "TTRPGs for Trans Rights - West Virginia" bundle (https://itch.io/b/2383/ttrpgs-for-trans-rights-west-virginia) is going on right now and here's something of thread relevance: https://innocentgoblin.itch.io/grotty-gobbos-tea-grotto

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I like the goblins in baldur gate 3

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I like the goblins in baldur gate 3

hell yeah! i just wish you could play as them!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I made a gnome extremely green to bridge the gap.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hihohe posted:

f'real

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

fritz posted:

The itch.io "TTRPGs for Trans Rights - West Virginia" bundle (https://itch.io/b/2383/ttrpgs-for-trans-rights-west-virginia) is going on right now and here's something of thread relevance: https://innocentgoblin.itch.io/grotty-gobbos-tea-grotto

Bought these, gonna dig through and see if any of them would fit at my local game store. But as nice as it is to get so many TTRPG's for next to nothing, it'd be nicer still if they had no reason to discount them because the world ceased to be a burning dumpster covered in swastikas.

Hihohe posted:

Same! The game lets you play as literal aliens -- the Githyanki -- so why not let us be horrible little bastards that aren't just variations of hobbit, dwarf, or lawn ornament?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

modders save us!

https://www.pcgamer.com/theres-finally-a-baldurs-gate-3-mod-that-will-let-you-play-as-a-stinky-little-goblin/

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Kind of not on topic but I feel like d&d is too overwrought and topheavy tbh

Really you could ditch basically all the classes and stats, at MOST you need two classes and maybe 3-4 stats. Recombinate everything else into some skill or trait, some of those are gated by various things, bing bang boom.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Was it ever resolved if kobolds can be posted in goblinthrad?
https://bsky.app/profile/lark-wren.bsky.social/post/3krdmxcouxs25

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

sasha_d3ath posted:

kobolds are scaly goblins and goblins are goblin goblins

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Same software, different hardware. Conclusion: goblin.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Goblin is as goblin does.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There are a ton of fictions that have something that is clearly how goblins evolved in their world but are called something else. Goblins find a way

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Really you could ditch basically all the classes and stats, at MOST you need two classes and maybe 3-4 stats. Recombinate everything else into some skill or trait, some of those are gated by various things, bing bang boom.
Keep the classes ditch the stats

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Keep the goblins, ditch the not goblins.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
When you think about it, a complete disregard as to what the proper classification for something as goblin or not goblin should be, is actually very goblin.

All is goblin.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
goblingularity

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Flakey posted:

Same software, different hardware. Conclusion: goblin.

Khanstant posted:

There are a ton of fictions that have something that is clearly how goblins evolved in their world but are called something else. Goblins find a way

some typical Goblin behavior;

source

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

some typical Goblin behavior;

source
A comic I used to enjoy reading except for the feeling that I was reading the articles in a sticky magazine I found under someone else's mattress.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Some folks like the wargame aspect of D&D and the complexity associated with it. There's other systems out there that you'd like, I bet.

I prefer Pathfibder 2e, myself; it's nore rules-heavy, but it allows for a lot of complexity and gives you more things you can do without relying on the DM to essentially make up new mechanics on the fly.

Pathfinder's goblibs are also the grubbiest lil' bastards ever and I love them. D&D gobs aren't bad, but they aren't as skrinky-skrunkly.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Naw, pathfinder goblins are more like Critters from the movie Critters.
Goblins should be more crooked and angular. Pf goblins look like dinner plates with legs

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want a D&D with no combat system. What do the goblins do with the majority of their time? Building dungeons, having parties, navigating their social worlds, now that’s where the real excitement is, not all this petty fighting

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Snowy posted:

I want a D&D with no combat system. What do the goblins do with the majority of their time? Building dungeons, having parties, navigating their social worlds, now that’s where the real excitement is, not all this petty fighting
Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine is just one of dozens if not hundreds of non-D&D rpgs that may fit your desires.

E: also How to Host a Dungeon if you like solo play

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 1, 2024

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Hihohe posted:

Naw, pathfinder goblins are more like Critters from the movie Critters.
Goblins should be more crooked and angular. Pf goblins look like dinner plates with legs

Critters are goblin-adjacent, and Pathfinder goblins have goblinesque behavior codified into their rules. D&D goblins, in comparison, don't have a lot of goblinishness. They're all perfectly valid, but Pathfinder goblins got the goblin mode behavior down pat and I accept that on principle.

PF and D&D hobgoblins kinda suck though.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Snowy posted:

There's Goblin Quest https://gshowitt.itch.io/goblin-quest

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splicer posted:

Keep the classes ditch the stats

Switch the roles of classes and stats. You have 15 Fighter, 13 Wizard, 7 Cleric, etc, and you are a Dexterity. You level up in Dexterity and get Dexteiry Features and learn Dexterity-specific feats, etc.

Will this solve problems? No, but it will give you new, exciting, different problems!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Screaming Idiot posted:

Some folks like the wargame aspect of D&D and the complexity associated with it. There's other systems out there that you'd like, I bet.

I prefer Pathfibder 2e, myself; it's nore rules-heavy, but it allows for a lot of complexity and gives you more things you can do without relying on the DM to essentially make up new mechanics on the fly.

Pathfinder's goblibs are also the grubbiest lil' bastards ever and I love them. D&D gobs aren't bad, but they aren't as skrinky-skrunkly.

you could still have the same level of complexity, you're just shunting it into specific individual characters instead of genericized templates i guess. All that stuff you could still pregen and have in the book. Would probably be better for adventure-focused games, personal kinda scope. Something where like... Conan, for example, is both a warrior and a thief-robber sort of dude. Depending on setting it comes down to magic or not-magic.

This will eventually become a problem tho, because people will identify "hey go in the book check it out, abc go super good together, and xyz go super good together, just always pick abc if you're going to do that, and xyz if you're going to do that" and you've recreated classes from first principles and defeated the entire idea of playing this ultra stripped mode. You'd have to dump basically everything somehow and play something that's extremely not d&d as it is today.

--

I have goblins in both my Traveller & CYOA games but... :shrug:
I think, like elves and trolls etc, letting goblins getting standardized kinda hosed poo poo up in some ways

Splicer posted:

A comic I used to enjoy reading except for the feeling that I was reading the articles in a sticky magazine I found under someone else's mattress.

pretty sure this is literally what it turned out to be lol