Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's not a bad analysis in the OP. I think that what's left of the Western far left has painted itself into a corner, and it's just the logical result of Lenin and others developing their definition of imperialism and basically applying class analysis to the relationship between countries, where the West is the exploitative bourgeoisie of the globe. If you are a member of the (especially native) working class in a Western country, why would you ever vote communist? Being part of the global bourgeoisie, wouldn't it be in my material interest to maintain the exploitative North-South relationship, even if my boss exploits me in turn?

Worse still, Western communists (especially since the rise of the New Left in the 60's) are perceived as being useless, effeminate college students who use big words, and also love to burn the flag and hug trees. The nation-state is the one collective project that many, especially among the working class, already naturally adhere to, and here you have these privileged upper middle class fucks disrespecting that and calling themselves post-nationalist cosmopolitans or whatever bullshit - whereas virtually all of the historical communist governments used nationalism or at least patriotism to bolster their legitimacy.

In summary, the problem for the far left is mostly just that they completely fail to communicate that they're the only ones promoting the interests of the lower classes, the way lower-class people themselves define those interests. I would say that that attitude is most 'eloquently' expressed when you listen to working-class Oi! bands from early 80's Britain, during a period of major economic decline which you think would have been favorable to the left (but which in fact led to the election of Thatcher).

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU