Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the lurch to the hard right is just pretty much down to decline and fall of the Soviet Union and as long as the West can not reconcile that fact it is going to move further and further into the far-right. Personally, I don't think it is going to happen and the West will spiral into further irrelevance due to chronical unstable political systems and an economy system that is destined to failed.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ronya posted:

Still, neoliberalism is many, many more decades after the initial mere 'electrification-plumbing-literacy' trifecta impacts to social transformation. To return to the OP topic, the really weird part is the collapse of meaningful antiglobalization sentiment not only on the center-left but also the left since the 1990s. How much of that is just a one-off China trade shock really?

Perhaps it is "weird" because it glaringly untrue, if anything anti-globalization sentiment has hardened on the populist left/right in the West, really it is the center that still holds on to it.

Also, I would say the issue with automation in particularly in neoliberal-capitalist countries, the worker usually comes out on the losing end in the trade compared to other systems that support full employment.

So...double no

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ronya posted:

I don't mean Extremely Online leftist discourse, but the arc of the 'left alternative' parties - SYRIZA, Podemos, etc. dashing themselves on the rocks of European integration, the short-lived Wagenknecht flirtation with immigration baiting, etc.

Lenin is not wrong in observing that liberal concerns have taken precedence, I think

I would say those parties are "left-wing" parties that moved to the center-right and largely got punished for it, but that the discourse on the left in the West really hasn't changed. Die Linke is still softly Euroskeptic.

As far as Lenin, I guess he would see these parties as liberal and it would make sense that would follow a liberal consensus.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

That's not a bad analysis in the OP. I think that what's left of the Western far left has painted itself into a corner, and it's just the logical result of Lenin and others developing their definition of imperialism and basically applying class analysis to the relationship between countries, where the West is the exploitative bourgeoisie of the globe. If you are a member of the (especially native) working class in a Western country, why would you ever vote communist? Being part of the global bourgeoisie, wouldn't it be in my material interest to maintain the exploitative North-South relationship, even if my boss exploits me in turn?

Worse still, Western communists (especially since the rise of the New Left in the 60's) are perceived as being useless, effeminate college students who use big words, and also love to burn the flag and hug trees. The nation-state is the one collective project that many, especially among the working class, already naturally adhere to, and here you have these privileged upper middle class fucks disrespecting that and calling themselves post-nationalist cosmopolitans or whatever bullshit - whereas virtually all of the historical communist governments used nationalism or at least patriotism to bolster their legitimacy.

In summary, the problem for the far left is mostly just that they completely fail to communicate that they're the only ones promoting the interests of the lower classes, the way lower-class people themselves define those interests. I would say that that attitude is most 'eloquently' expressed when you listen to working-class Oi! bands from early 80's Britain, during a period of major economic decline which you think would have been favorable to the left (but which in fact led to the election of Thatcher).

I think you are conflating third world Maoism bit too much with standard Leninism in your first paragraph, when they are historically very seperate narratives. Lenin's analysis about imperialism wasn't about a fundamental north/south relationship between the world's working class, but that exploitation based on class overall was the core issue. It is why a robust left-wing continued (often now connected to the Soviet Union) continued after 1917 and well into the 1960s. It wasn't really the "logical result" but arguing in opposition to Leninist theory.

What you call the "new left" is really about the shift to Eurocommunism and the general split of the far-left away from the Soviets and its eventual moderation and irrelevance, especially from the 1980s onward. The center-left also moderated even further (without a strong left-wing flank) and this is when you get "social-democrats" suddenly pushing center-right policy (New Labour) and largely being dominated by the upper-middle-class intelligentsia.

In the end, it boiled down to the Soviet Union and the weaker its influence on the left in the West, became the more it turned to the relative economic right with a far greater emphasis on social issues. It is also why the Western working class increasingly became alienated in the first place and increasingly shifted to right-populism. That said, in my opinion, leftism itself didn't change but merely died out and the political spectrum in the West was dominated by parties that stretched from the far-right all the way to the right-wing/center-right.

-------------

Btw, Phlegmish, sorry but a portion of your post got cut off in a mishap.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 28, 2020