Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There was some scuttlebutt before the election that Biden's cabinet wouldn't include any senators at all, and I think that's panning out. It's also honestly the best play for Biden, given the razor-thin senate margin means he can't afford to lose or risk losing any seats, even temporarily.

They can't risk a drat house member; appointing a senator is suicide for the first six months of the admin. I see the chances approaching near zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

I agree. It's human nature to color an experience based on the extreme and how it ends (peak end rule). The Trump presidency is going to be remember for COVID and him not conceding, and 2020 is going down as the worst year in living memory by a landslide. Trump, COVID, and 2020 are tied together for the rest of history.

Going back to the Krugman, he's not the first econ-folk I've heard with that take. There is a very good chance Biden and the Democrats are riding a hot economy in 2022.

When you add the two up, I think that we're going to be moving on from Trump sooner than expected, because hearing and seeing him post-COVID is going to be re-living trauma, and once we're in better times, no one is going to want to sign up for that. It makes me wonder what COVID era things are going to be discarded because of the association with a terrible time.

I think you're right--and not even 2020 like the (general) boredom. The heavy hitters are memory of overwhelming fear. Empty shelves. Mass graves. Confusing medical releases. Lost businesses. People who died (without their families there). Whether it happened to a particular person, they remember fear. And again, Trump was super visible and visibly connected to this, utterly inextricable.

(In the West, it's blood-red skies also, which tbh for many people here was more immediately traumatizing than COVID. And the media stoked a ton of fear about civil unrest.)

Just being able to go back to a movie theater--just relief--is going to be something that Biden gets adhered to him.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

help

a couple weeks ago I saw a graph comparing this election to past ones based on % of eligible voters, showing that bidens % of the electorate was enough to have him win every election since 1904

but did it ALSO show that trump would have won every one of those elections too?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Did those graphs adjust for the changing size of the US population?

Because this is like every blockbuster every year blowing out the previous records. There's more people to buy tickets.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

i say swears online posted:

help

a couple weeks ago I saw a graph comparing this election to past ones based on % of eligible voters, showing that bidens % of the electorate was enough to have him win every election since 1904

but did it ALSO show that trump would have won every one of those elections too?

Winning the presidency with less than 50% of the popular vote happens very rarely, so no, Trump would not have won many elections based on his percentage.

Total number of votes, probably - but that's a function of turnout and national population. Nobody was going to get 70M votes when the entire population was 50M, for example.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

doingitwrong posted:

Did those graphs adjust for the changing size of the US population?

Because this is like every blockbuster every year blowing out the previous records. There's more people to buy tickets.
Those graphs usually show percentage (to account for pop growth) of eligible voters (to account for things like the civil rights movement).

I say swears online, I vague remember that infographic and I think it only showed Biden, but Im pretty sure the same factoid applies to Trump's turnout.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Deteriorata posted:

Winning the presidency with less than 50% of the popular vote happens very rarely, so no, Trump would not have won many elections based on his percentage.

And hell, there were several easily above Biden's margin of 51.1% (at present), so this chart or the recollection thereof sounds pretty fishy on both counts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Total number of votes, probably - but that's a function of turnout and national population. Nobody was going to get 70M votes when the entire population was 50M, for example.

Clearly you underestimate the powers of Tammany Hall

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Sarcastro posted:

And hell, there were several easily above Biden's margin of 51.1% (at present), so this chart or the recollection thereof sounds pretty fishy on both counts.
I think you're missing what isso is describing. Trump received ~33% of the voters from the eligible voters - 69.9% of eligible voters voted, and 47.2% of those voters voted for Trump.

If Trump had received 33% of the votes from eligible votes in 2016, that would be 76 million votes (beating Hillary by 11 million votes nationwide) and in 2008 that would be 75 million votes, beating Obama by 5.5 million votes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tibalt posted:

I think you're missing what isso is describing. Trump received ~33% of the voters from the eligible voters - 69.9% of eligible voters voted, and 47.2% of those voters voted for Trump.

If Trump had received 33% of the votes from eligible votes in 2016, that would be 76 million votes (beating Hillary by 11 million votes nationwide) and in 2008 that would be 75 million votes, beating Obama by 5.5 million votes.

thank you, this is what i meant. not talking hard numbers but trying to put the massive turnout increase in % perspective compared to past elections. i want to show just how impressive turnout was for both campaigns

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Soooo... This is it, yeah? From here it's all much more obvious coup attempts via electoral college fuckery?

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1331266314464321549?s=19

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

Soooo... This is it, yeah? From here it's all much more obvious coup attempts via electoral college fuckery?

We'll probably hear about an attempt to bribe or intimidate an elector that won't work, and we might have a minor fracas in Congress about accepting the results of the electoral vote.

But yeah, this has been over for weeks now.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Tibalt posted:

Ah, that does make more sense, you're right.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tibalt posted:

We'll probably hear about an attempt to bribe or intimidate an elector that won't work, and we might have a minor fracas in Congress about accepting the results of the electoral vote.

True, but much like the media acting like the Joker premiere meant incels were going to be shooting everybody in the streets, they built up a lot of anxiety about this specific thing. Admittedly the president himself was complicit,… Yeah, anyway, this is really good to see.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tibalt posted:

Oh for sure.

What I'm getting at is that even the slight veneer of respectability is gone. Like anyone who's been saying "let the process play out" doesn't have much more room to procrastinate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1331297711539298309

*extremely Steve Kornacki from Friday of election week voice* Well we just don't know exactly how those military and overseas votes are gonna come in, so you have to live in Probability Hell for another day.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1331299183379296258

Which makes sense, if you're abroad it must be really embarrassing to see this stuff happen and have your friends and colleauges constantly asking you "Boy, your country sure is a piece of poo poo right now huh". As far as military goes, I think officers are overwhelmingly the majority of voters, and they sure as hell don't like Trump. That probably goes triple for members of the diplomatic corps. These are people who pride themselves in lifelong, bipartisan, apolitical civil service and imagine working in Lichtenstein for 25 years and knowing all the diplomatic and social ins and outs and all of a sudden some Christian book store owner has been appointed your boss and now wants to know if the embassy can dig up any dirt on Hunter Biden.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

dwarf74 posted:

The current hotness among the CHUD contingent has been to tell people to "read article 12 of the constitution!"

Which is hilarious because the constitution doesn't have 12 articles and they mean amendments.

And the reason they're saying "article" is because Trump tweeted out the same mistake and they are literally just repeating his tweets.

zoux posted:

Which makes sense, if you're abroad it must be really embarrassing to see this stuff happen and have your friends and colleauges constantly asking you "Boy, your country sure is a piece of poo poo right now huh".

I've had the good fortune to be outside of the US a bunch of times during the Trump admin and once people find out I'm American it's generally a few short seconds before "dude what the hell is up with your president" comes up.

Even from people who barely speak English.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 24, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Good 538 article that matches observations that many Trump supporters are men with no friends.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/could-social-alienation-among-some-trump-supporters-help-explain-why-polls-underestimated-trump-again/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1331316373419663361?s=21

New York, California, and Illinois are still counting ballots and are likely to change. Arkansas had the Clinton effect. Utah had no McMullin third party.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
tbh that's male adults in general.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

That is an interesting selection of people there. "To determine ones social network, respondents were asked to name people with whom they had discussed 'important personal matters or concerns' in the past six months."
Trump had the share of people who either refuse to talk about their feelings, or refused to hand out names to pollsters covered.
If some of these people legitimately hadn't talked about anything they consider important with anyone, for half a year, that is just depressingly sad. I feel pity for that particular subset. Who are those? Bitter old men who chased away their relatives? Disgruntled alcoholics which only make grunting noises during work? Redditors who have absolutely no friends and are a burden on their parents? In a sort of healthy society, those should not be a sizable demographic.
Imagine you get a call for the first time in 6 months and it's just a pollster... :smith:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I imagine it’s more like guys who just don’t hold hard beliefs about a lot of things, and also people who really don’t want to talk about their emotions or problems with others. I’m sure these guys have jobs, but talk gets limited to work, sports, weather, etc. They don’t have a partner to talk about personal stuff. They might have some friends, but just like work, any talk is kept to low stakes topics.

Talking about money issues, or emotional issues shows you’re weak, so it gets swept under the rug.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

lurker2006 posted:

tbh that's male adults in general.

I have lots of friends <:mad:>

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

This seems like a chicken-egg situation to me. It's almost certainly self-reinforcing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I have lots of friends <:mad:>

But did you talk to them in the last six months? Did you discuss something you find important? Could you name such a person? Didn't think so!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cant cook creole bream posted:

But did you talk to them in the last six months? Did you discuss something you find important? Could you name such a person? Didn't think so!

That said, they really need to be more explicit about what these parameters are, because "what [I] find important" is, for example, which Star Trek characters should hook up

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
This largely echoes this interview which was linked off the one on the previous page:

quote:

One pollster’s explanation for why the polls got it wrong
The kind of people who answer polls are really weird, and it’s ruining polling.

To try to make sense of the massive failure of polling this year, I reached out to the smartest polling guy I know: David Shor, an independent data analyst who’s a veteran of the Obama presidential campaigns who formerly operated a massive web-based survey at Civis Analytics before leaving earlier this year. He now works advising super PACs on ad testing. Since 2016, Shor’s been trying to sell me, and basically anyone else who’ll listen, on a particular theory of what went wrong in polling that year, and what he thinks went wrong with polling in 2018 and 2020, too.

The theory is that the kind of people who answer polls are systematically different from the kind of people who refuse to answer polls — and that this has recently begun biasing the polls in a systematic way.

This challenges a core premise of polling, which is that you can use the responses of poll takers to infer the views of the population at large — and that if there are differences between poll takers and non-poll takers, they can be statistically “controlled” for by weighting according to race, education, gender, and so forth. (Weighting increases and decreases the importance of responses from particular groups in a poll to better match their share of the actual population.) If these two groups do differ systematically, that means the results are biased.

The assumption that poll respondents and non-respondents are basically similar, once properly weighted, used to be roughly right — and then, starting in 2016, it became very, very wrong. People who don’t answer polls, Shor argues, tend to have low levels of trust in other people more generally. These low-trust folks used to vote similarly to everyone else. But as of 2016, they don’t: they tend to vote for Republicans.

Now, in 2020, Shor argues that the differences between poll respondents and non-respondents have gotten larger still. In part due to Covid-19 stir-craziness, Democrats, and particularly highly civically engaged Democrats who donate to and volunteer for campaigns, have become likelier to answer polls. It’s something to do when we’re all bored, and it feels civically useful. This biased the polls, Shor argues, in deep ways that even the best polls (including his own) struggled to account for.

Liberal Democrats answered more polls, so the polls overrepresented liberal Democrats and their views (even after weighting), and thus the polls gave Biden and Senate Democrats inflated odds of winning.

The full interview is an interesting read.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

People with not many social contacts are way more likely to fall down the QAnon hole as well

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

fool of sound posted:

This seems like a chicken-egg situation to me. It's almost certainly self-reinforcing.

Yes, when they get disinvited to Thanksgivings and social functions because of their chuddiness.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
At this point it's a well known fact that social media algorithms are actively targeting and radicalizing white men and nothing is being done about it.

There's tons of articles

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/17/tech/youtube-facebook-twitter-radicalization-new-zealand/index.html

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Loneliness and isolation are a huge problem in our society, and for older men in particular. Hidden Brain did an episode on men and loneliness, and it was loving tragic.

One guy in the podcast:

"I was in my apartment. And one of the fixtures in the apartment was a post that runs floor to ceiling and a banister runs out of that. And the post became my friend. I would hug the post. I would hug the post for all it was worth because I was getting some kind of feedback physically. It was at that point I realized I have got to do something because when you get to the place where you need to hug a post to feel something that you need, that's - if that's not a wake-up call, nothing is."

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/19/594719471/guys-we-have-a-problem-how-american-masculinity-creates-lonely-men

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This is sort of interesting --- MA requires a 3% post-election random audit of results. This one identified 0.07% error rate, and has some ideas on what sort of mistakes can happen:
https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepostelection/2020-Audit-Report-Narrative.pdf

quote:

Of the 66 precincts audited, 47 reported no changes in the number of ballots cast, while 14
precincts reported changes of fewer than 5 ballots, likely due to tabulator jams and poll worker
error in reading the message on the tabulator indicating whether or not the jammed ballot had
been counted.
The majority of additional ballots were identified in 4 audited precincts in which local election
officials reported that the poll workers failed to tally a small number of ballots not read by the
machine, which should have been hand-counted by the poll workers on Election Night.
In one precinct, a difference of 12 fewer ballots in the audit may be the result of poll workers
incorrectly tallying votes for every office on ballots containing write-in votes, rather than
counting only the write-in votes for the offices not already counted by the tabulator

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly, one of the things that's been surprising over this whole business is just how precise and transparent the voting counting process is. (At least in states with decent transparency laws, there are 8 states still that don't require a paper record of electronic voting and good thing none of them are swing states - GA and PA were among them in 2016 before statutory changes)

Also, despite the fact that this has been the most scrutinized election in modern history, it will become an article of faith among conservatives that this election was "fishy". They may not go so far as to think a million votes got changed or whatever but ten years from now you'll ask your racist aunt some question at Thanksgiving and she'll spin some tale about how "you know they can make the vote whatever they want, remember when they cheated Trump" and you'll wonder whether you should even bother. Save your breath.

e:

Look, polls!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1331404288149643264

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 25, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Also, despite the fact that this has been the most scrutinized election in modern history, it will become an article of faith among conservatives that this election was "fishy". They may not go so far as to think a million votes got changed or whatever but ten years from now you'll ask your racist aunt some question at Thanksgiving and she'll spin some tale about how "you know they can make the vote whatever they want, remember when they cheated Trump" and you'll wonder whether you should even bother. Save your breath.

timestamp'd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VaXlMvAvk&t=185s

this is going to be a real phenomenon that makes people go further in their news rabbit holes and maybe polling will continue to struggle because of it. it's a real unknown; with more comparisons to the gilded era it seems like the party machines are losing control of the narrative

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

paternity suitor posted:

Loneliness and isolation are a huge problem in our society, and for older men in particular. Hidden Brain did an episode on men and loneliness, and it was loving tragic.

This is very interesting. CVS has been talking about addressing a “loneliness epidemic“ which I took to be a kind of cynical ploy to find a new thing to sell solutions against. But this angle opens up a much more compelling (and terrifying) need than just “people being alone and kind of sad”.

Meanwhile, in Japan (from the cyberpunk dystopia thread).

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 25, 2020

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

This is very interesting. CVS has been talking about addressing a “loneliness epidemic“ which I took to be a kind of cynical ploy to find a new thing to sell solutions against. But this angle opens up a much more compelling (and terrifying) need than just “people being alone and kind of sad”.

Meanwhile, in Japan (from the cyberpunk dystopia thread).

I do hope that friendship and community is embraced as a health issue. People are comfortable doing most anything if it’s “for your health”. I swear it used to be considered weird to take walks for no reason, but now that it’s “getting your steps in” it’s socially acceptable. Yes I used to be “guy who takes walks” at work before fit bits normalized it 😛

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Edit: moved to Q&A threads

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive been saying it for years but not having regular social networks opens you up to some dark poo poo.

I might have also said the decline in church attendance since it is the last bastion of social networks for many people was not an unambiguously good thing but Im not fully convinced of my position and think I may be a fraud.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Ive been saying it for years but not having regular social networks opens you up to some dark poo poo.

I might have also said the decline in church attendance since it is the last bastion of social networks for many people was not an unambiguously good thing but Im not fully convinced of my position and think I may be a fraud.

Churches have upsides and downsides but mostly I'm with you on that. I'm trying to remember the quote, or where I heard it, or what the gently caress, but the idea that there are a few things that can seriously stand up to a person's materialistic greed, to the point where they can at times supersede all greed:

family
community/neighborhood
faith

(from which values often derive, or feel credible in the context of). So capitalism (grr capitalism!!), but also more businesses/business interests, have very, very, very, very successfully broken these things down, because they do genuinely stand in the way of behaviors which are profit-generating.

e: which is to say,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wasserman news.

https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1331483636613459969?s=21

I'm glad she got reelected, but that is a pretty significant difference.